Does camera overheat was fixed?

Search This thread

leandronb

Sep 27, 2012
Teresina
hey guys, Z2 was launched this week in Brazil so i am looking to replace my lg g2 for z2. but i saw many complaints about people not being able to use the camera when is hot outside. even after 5 pictures the camera got warm and shutdown. i will never use 4k video, but i plan to use the max 16:9 manual resolution, ia mode and 1080p 60fps. in my g2 i always recorded long videos and never got a camera shutdown, even tried yesterday recording 4k with a mod and after 5 minutes video was saved and nothing happened. and people with this problem live in places with good temperatures like 20c, here in my city usually is 30c or 35c so i am a bit worried if i will buy a very expensive phone without being able to use the camera. so this was already fixed or is hardware problem?

williamtavares

Jan 23, 2013
São Paulo
hey guys, Z2 was launched this week in Brazil so i am looking to replace my lg g2 for z2. but i saw many complaints about people not being able to use the camera when is hot outside. even after 5 pictures the camera got warm and shutdown. i will never use 4k video, but i plan to use the max 16:9 manual resolution, ia mode and 1080p 60fps. in my g2 i always recorded long videos and never got a camera shutdown, even tried yesterday recording 4k with a mod and after 5 minutes video was saved and nothing happened. and people with this problem live in places with good temperatures like 20c, here in my city usually is 30c or 35c so i am a bit worried if i will buy a very expensive phone without being able to use the camera. so this was already fixed or is hardware problem?
Same here, want to know before waste my "Dilmas".

ZPaul2Fresh8

Mar 23, 2012
Millbury, OH
In newer models yes

Sony also tried to fix on the firmware side so old model devices have less heat

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mine is from batch 14w22 which I believe is a newer build and I've gotten a shutdown notice due to heat and I was only using 1080p. I was using the filters effect which was probably resource taxing.

Update, I am on firmware 402. I believe there is an update called 438 out now or soon.

Last edited:

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
Mine is from batch 14w22 which I believe is a newer build and I've gotten a shutdown notice due to heat and I was only using 1080p. I was using the filters effect which was probably resource taxing.

Update, I am on firmware 402. I believe there is an update called 438 out now or soon.

I'm also interested in this I live in a hot Country, where did you get your z2?

.LEONARDO.

Aug 24, 2011
Manaus
Freeze overheat control service

I live in a very hot city, and it's almost impossible to use AR effects. 4k video at least works for a couple of minutes, but AR effects closes as soon as I try to use it due to camera overheating. I was wondering if the temperature service was disabled... If this issue would be solved. So I froze the overheating control service using titanium backup ( Overheat control - com.sonyericsson.psm.sysmonservice). And it worked! My camera stopped to force closing due to overheating. I think it's a software problem, the temperature level trigger to shut down the camera must be have settled too low,, if the phone was too hot, it should turn it off entirely, not just the camera. Well... My camera is working fine now. But I think this is not a safe solution. I guess if for some reason my Z2 get really hot, with overheating control disabled, it would not be powered off to prevent damage and my phone would be toasted. But I think there will be no trouble to freeze overheating control before using camera and activate it later... That's really annoying, but it's better than lose a moment cause your camera refuses to work due to supposed overheat.

*just to remember... In order to freeze overheat control service you need to be rooted

SONY Xperia Z2 D6543 4.4.2. 17.1.2.A.0.314 stock ROM rooted

drakexpl

Mar 10, 2011
I have downclocked z2 with mpdecision and multicore powersave. No overheating issues during 4k recording.

Wysłane z mojego D6503 przy użyciu Tapatalka

nigsy116

Apr 25, 2010
I just got my Z2; Ambient temp around 22c; had to really work it to get a thermal shutdown; switching from multi burst camera to 4k to generate the heat. It was the stupid CGI Dinosaur nonsense that did it in the end. I can't see it being an issue with normal point and shoot.

effective

Jan 2, 2011
Burgas
I had a problem with the overheating issue too,but while playing games - Compared my Z2 with Iphone 5 playing Dungeon hunter 4 - ew my phone overheated like crazy at the upper right corner where is the CPU.. ( no overheating at all from the Iphone.. - -) And another thing is that the glue holding the camera class circle is abit spilled at some places (you need to get closer to see it)...im not sure the overheating coused that .. but while gaming or vrecording the phone overheats alot.

pietroSV

Mar 17, 2012
Hi guys. I am considering replacing my HTC Sensation with Z2. With Sensation, I use to take lots of pictures when I am on some trip. Generally, I am speaking about taking 50+ pictures when I am on trip (ZOO, castle, rocks...). Can Z2 manage this? Can you help me please? Thank you

[kEkA]

May 25, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Hi guys. I am considering replacing my HTC Sensation with Z2. With Sensation, I use to take lots of pictures when I am on some trip. Generally, I am speaking about taking 50+ pictures when I am on trip (ZOO, castle, rocks...). Can Z2 manage this? Can you help me please? Thank you

Well mate, I don't know what to tell you, some people are reporting that its impossible for them to use cam at all, not only 4k but for taking pictures,
for myself I have never experienced over heating problems with normal usage, said that i meant on using camera for taking photos or videos which arent in 4k mode. If you're gonna use it as camera, I strongly suggest not to play games on it just before you start heavy using camera for example.
Where I live, the temperature was over 39 degrees of C, I recorded 4k outdoors for more then 8 mins, took lots of (+20) pictures in nature and all and never had problem, just don't leave it direct on sun, it gets very hot and it becomes probably useless,
you only have to take 'care' with those kind of things, other then that you're ok.
In my case, my z2 would certainly manage that kind of usage without a problem.

Last edited:

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
So here is some info i gathered from 5 Xperia Z2s
Device 2 and 3 match my 1st Z2 and my replacement Z2, however i managed to get 21 mins of 4k recording with my 2014w22 replacement device

Good thing ive got a bunch of freinds with Xperia Z2s and xperias in general :D

Device 1:
purchase date: 15th of August
41mins -4k rec
Temp after rec:61c
batch: 2014w29

Device 2:
purchase date: 8th of June
3mins:59sec -4k rec
Temp after rec:72c
batch: 2014w17

Device 3:
Purchase Date: 31st of June
5mins:33sec -4k rec
temp after rec: 58c
batch: 2014w22

So here is something ive knoticed, new xperias around w30 or newer are flawless. there are people here in XDA who can prove that too :/

edit- forgot to mention, devices 1 and 3 didnt have any heating issues under normal ussage

Last edited:

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Just tried 4k recording. Stopped it manually at 10:00. Can't imagine me using it in the near future. Flickering screen indoors with tl-tubes, and I won't be buying an 4k screen anytime soon ;) .

Mind you though, it's around 18 degrees C here. I can imagine the phone quiting on me a lot sooner when it's 30C. Also tried AR, no heating problems so far.
But, when it was 30+ degrees, the camera did shut down after 5 minutes of testing the white balance. But that was before I installed .314. So I would have to re-test that. Unfortunately there's a fat chance we will reach those temps before next year.

[kEkA]

May 25, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
So here is some info i gathered from 5 Xperia Z2s
Device 2 and 3 match my 1st Z2 and my replacement Z2, however i managed to get 21 mins of 4k recording with my 2014w22 replacement device

Good thing ive got a bunch of freinds with Xperia Z2s and xperias in general :D

Device 1:
purchase date: 15th of August
41mins -4k rec
Temp after rec:61c
batch: 2014w29

Device 2:
purchase date: 8th of June
3mins:59sec -4k rec
Temp after rec:72c
batch: 2014w17

Device 3:
Purchase Date: 31st of June
5mins:33sec -4k rec
temp after rec: 58c
batch: 2014w22

So here is something ive knoticed, new xperias around w30 or newer are flawless. there are people here in XDA who can prove that too :/

edit- forgot to mention, devices 1 and 3 didnt have any heating issues under normal ussage

I got w17, manually stopped my recording around 10 mins when I was outside, ambient temperature about 35,36 degrees.

.LEONARDO.

Aug 24, 2011
Manaus
My D6543 is w22. It's working fine now after freeze overheat control service. No more camera closing due to overheat. I could not even start AR effect before and I was not playing games or any hard usage before trying. 4k video is not an issue for me cause I won't use it. But before freezing overheat control, sometimes my camera refuses to take even simple photos....

Ambient temperature: 28°
Battery temp: 36°
CPU temp: 44°

Now let's start AR effects (overheat control service is disabled)

After 7 minutes recording
Battery: 47°
CPU: 72°

Temperatures seems to be stable, they were not increasing since minute 3....

Now 4k recording...
Before
Battery: 43°
CPU: 54°

After 4 minutes
*using internal storage
Battery: 53°
CPU: 84°

I accidentally stopped recording. But it seems it was still getting hotter.

Sent from my D6543 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts