[APP][LAUNCHER] VTL.Launcher 1.6.5 (Tablet Oriented Launcher) [updated 05.19.11]

Search This thread

gojimi

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 2, 2010
www.gojimi.com
VTLBadge2.png
Presents: VTL.Launcher v.1.6.5
VTLPromoGraphic.png

****This release is now under a NEW PACKAGE NAME and no longer SIGNED DEBUG to prep for Market Release. Please uninstall any version pre 1.6.0 first unless your ROM SHIPPED WITH VTL.LAUNCHER INSTALLED Sorry for making you do that but it is necessary and the new features and options make it worth it!****

***NOT YET HONEYCOMB COMPATIBLE*** the recent 3.1 update has added some new challenges.

This Launcher is designed with landscape tablets in mind! (that's not to say it doesn't also function well in portrait mode..... as it does)

First off this launcher is based on ADW.Launcher's Source code so I would like to thank anderweb for all the ground work. Most ADW Themes will work for VTL.Launcher.

Features Include:
- tablet layout optimized (smaller screens will need to play with desktop layout and dock icon size)
- elastic scrolling
- 3 individually configurable/toggleable scrollable dock bars
- individual controls per dock for background/reflection/visibility/icon size
- icon size for docks can be set different per orientation
- user folders to place shortcuts to apps, bookmarks, contacts, etc.
- icon changing for user folders and apps.
- quick action items menu when long pressing apps, folders and widgets.
- catalogs for organizing apps in the app drawers
- swipe actions on app drawer to navigate catalogs
- uncataloged catalog where new and uncatagorized apps fall
- 1 to 7 homes screens with sense-like previews
- configurable action bindings (swipe up, swipe down, home button)
- long hold uninstall from trashcan
- moveable trashcan location
- hide home screen icon labels
- auto rotate orientation
- system persistence with configurable locked orientation
- widget size spanning
- scrollable widget support
- live wallpaper support
- fullscreen mode
- backup/restore settings
- compatible with "most" ADW Themes

This should work on virtually any device. Though non large screen devices may have issues with the layouts so you will have to play with the desktop column, row numbers, dock sizes etc.

Bug fix 1.6.5 Fixes a layout bug on the docks that messed with alignment.

Bug fix 1.6.4 fixes crash issue on some devices from 1.6.3

New in Version 1.6.3:

-Icon number per dock is now dynamic depending on dock width, orientation and icon spacing.
-Added Settings for Icon Spacing per Dock per Orientation.
-Icons on Dock now have a dynamically set Layout Alignment/Gravity per Dock per Orientation.
-Added Settings for Icon Alignment/Gravity per Dock per Orientation.
-Cleaned up A TON of old code.
-Fix issue with not showing in market for a few tablet models.

The Launcher is FREE here for XDA members. It costs 2.99 on the Android Market and with that you will get automatic updates and support further development.

MOD EDIT: REMOVED LINKS

Just wanted to clarify something in case it wasn't clear. Purchasing on the market only gets you "AUTO" updates.... updates will also be posted here for you to download free.... don't worry.... you guys won't miss out on anything if you don't buy it in the market... just wanted to use the market to get it out to more users. And to those that have or will donate.... THANK YOU! It means so much to see the support the community provides to it's developers and I want to keep supporting you as well!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Project site: http://vtlab.com/ (new site more info coming soon)

V. 1.6.5 - THIS IS AN APK INSTALL IT LIKE YOU WOULD ANY OTHER SIDE LOADED APP. IF YOUR BROWSER DOWNLOADS IT AS A ZIP RENAME IT TO AN APK TO INSTALL.
Download: http://vtlab.com/downloads/VTLLauncher_1_6_5.apk
Alternative Link: http://goo.gl/FjckW

f5f3d3c62a763b3dcd8dc261619ef8d1 VTLLauncher_1_6_5.apk

Launcher Screenshots:

VTLScreen1.png

VTLScreen2.png

VTLScreen3.png

VTLScreen5.png

VTLScreen7.png

VTLScreen9.png

CHANGELOG:

V.1.6.2 bugfix release:
-------------
-Fixed bug that was causing FC's on Honeycomb Devices.

V.1.6.1 bugfix release:
-------------
-Fixed bug in app drawer with Setup Catalog Button not working.
-Added rotation capabilities and saved state to the Setup Catalog App List.

V.1.6.0:
-------------
-Moved from Beta to Stable.
-App Drawer Performance Improvements.
-New Package name to force reinstall on proper app signing to prepare for Market.
-Added Individual Dock Controls for Icon Sizing Per Orientation (really large icons could look pixelated).
-Added Dock background and corner graphic scaling based on icon size.
-Added The Ability to Add/Remove the Bottom Dock. Side Docks Expand to claim the gap left.
-Added Individual Dock Controls for Background/Reflection.
-Added Individual Dock Controls for whether a dock should be displayed with the app drawer.
-Added the Ability to Lock Orientation either Landscape/Portrait for persistence option.
-Added Icon Changing for User Folders. New Icons then show up on desktop and in Docks.
-Added a Revert to Default option for Icon Changes on items.
-Added UnCataloged Catalog for items which you haven't placed in a catalog. New apps land here.
-Added Quick Action Item to choose Catalog.
-Added Quick Action menu capability to the app drawers. Long press any icon in drawer and don't move it.
-Added Swipe to change catalogs in the drawer. Up/down in the Horizontal drawer and left/right in the Vertical.
-Added Catalog name to the top of the app drawers.
-Rearranged the menu slightly.
-Minor Bugfixes.
-Code Cleanup Removing more of the Old Dock Stuff.

Version Beta 1.5:
--------------
-Fixed Padding not following rules when docks are removed.
-Fixed BUG: Swipe down on dock no longer hides dock (I have other plans for this type of functionality).
-Fixed all Paddings to be dynamic with regard to which docks are visible.
-Increased the Folder Columns by one for both Orientations.
-Fixed Animations and Reflections for proper directions on all dockbars.
-Added Toggle Setting to Show/Hide the dockbar when the app drawer is open.
-Added Right-Hand Dockbar w/Toggle Setting.
-Added Left-Hand Dockbar w/Toggle Setting.
-Changed Dock Style to be be centered instead of left justified.
-Fixed a fling issue when there were less icons than cells that would cause the icons to fing right and stick.
-Changed the default setting of drawer type to the vertical scroll style as it is smoother.
-Changed the default setting of drawer color to have a slight alpha to it so you can see your wallpaper a bit.

Version Beta 1.4:
--------------
-Fixed a fling issue when there were less icons than cells that would cause the icons to fing right and stick.
-Changed the default setting of drawer type to the vertical scroll style as it is smoother.
-Changed the default setting of drawer color to have a slight alpha to it so you can see your wallpaper a bit.

Version Beta 1.3:
--------------
-Increased Max Rows/Columns for desktop to 10.
-Increased Max Rows/Columns for App Drawer to 8 across the board.
-Added Option to turn off Scrolling Dockbar background in "UI Settings" menu.
-Added Option to turn off Scrolling Dockbar Icon reflections in "UI Settings" menu.

Version Beta 1.2:
--------------
-Added in ADW Theme Support.
-Fixed the wallpaper picker to include the one wallpaper so far.
-Dock Background is skinnable by themes (will look into providing a switch to turn off the background and reflection soon)

Version Beta 1.1:
--------------
-Removed or disabled some of the settings that are not implemented or going away.

Version Beta 1.0:
--------------
-Added Scrollable Icon Drag/Drop-able Dock
-Removed side dock as it is more phone oriented
-Fixed up Icon scaling and reflections

Version Alpha:
--------------
-Started Ground Work

Last edited by a moderator:

gojimi

Dec 2, 2010
www.gojimi.com
Thanks! Unlike previous Ported Launchers I have posted here I am actually developing from source code on this one so you can expect more active development on this launcher.

Reactions: LfcFan1977

rodzero

Jun 9, 2009
South Louisiana
excellent work. im loving it. if i may, is there any chance to have the option of a transparent dock (no fade) and perhaps the option of no reflection in the dock? regardless, this thing is great. it feels a lot faster and smoother than launcher pro.

gojimi

Dec 2, 2010
www.gojimi.com
excellent work. im loving it. if i may, is there any chance to have the option of a transparent dock (no fade) and perhaps the option of no reflection in the dock? regardless, this thing is great. it feels a lot faster and smoother than launcher pro.

Those options are definitely doable. After I finish up VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition Beta 1 I will look in to those and more!

Reactions: fftlambet

Shakey169

Aug 27, 2010
Anyone having problems with calkulins? notification pops up half way and cripples everything. I can open the app drawer but thats about it. Any ideas?

Sent from my Incredible using XDA App

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
Great work GoJimi. I've been wanting something like this for a while.
I ended up just removing the dock bar from my ADW EX and putting my 'dock' as just standard short-cuts along the bottom. (saw this idea on another thread).
Downside is that my 'dock' is only on one screen, or I have to replicate it across all screens. This launcher solves that problem.

One request. on ADW EX I can set it to 10 x 10 columns. I think 8x8 is the most supported by this launcher? I have mine set to 10 Columns, 8 Rows.
Can this be added to VTL?

Thanks!

gojimi

Dec 2, 2010
www.gojimi.com
Great work GoJimi. I've been wanting something like this for a while.
I ended up just removing the dock bar from my ADW EX and putting my 'dock' as just standard short-cuts along the bottom. (saw this idea on another thread).
Downside is that my 'dock' is only on one screen, or I have to replicate it across all screens. This launcher solves that problem.

One request. on ADW EX I can set it to 10 x 10 columns. I think 8x8 is the most supported by this launcher? I have mine set to 10 Columns, 8 Rows.
Can this be added to VTL?

Thanks!

I'll look into it for you..... knew it was only a matter of time before people started asking for EX features...:D ... just so everyone knows EX isn't open source so any of those features that he has there I would have to figure it out from scratch (not that I am incapable, mind you). Just remember that when asking for EX features that it will be more work for me than just copying over some code so it will take time. Also keep in mind I am trying to keep this as lightweight and functional as possible so some feature requests may be put low on the list. This request is not a major undertaking and may actually get added. All of course "after" I finish up VT.GE B1.

theheathen

Dec 15, 2010
Greenville
Thanks for this, I really like it. One thing though.. the app drawer is really sluggish on your Vegan gingerbread. Anything you can do to smooth it out?

namedkwon

May 13, 2009
gojimi, you're a beast...
just cranking out amazing stuff... thanks
i love how i can put the trash can either up or on the bottom since it's just closer to where my hands are. everything is SO customizable... would it be possible for you to add that option to change the placement of the status bar to the bottom as well? i think having the status bar on the bottom would be ideal... again, thanks a lot bro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VTLBadge2.png
    Presents: VTL.Launcher v.1.6.5
    VTLPromoGraphic.png

****This release is now under a NEW PACKAGE NAME and no longer SIGNED DEBUG to prep for Market Release. Please uninstall any version pre 1.6.0 first unless your ROM SHIPPED WITH VTL.LAUNCHER INSTALLED Sorry for making you do that but it is necessary and the new features and options make it worth it!****

***NOT YET HONEYCOMB COMPATIBLE*** the recent 3.1 update has added some new challenges.

This Launcher is designed with landscape tablets in mind! (that's not to say it doesn't also function well in portrait mode..... as it does)

First off this launcher is based on ADW.Launcher's Source code so I would like to thank anderweb for all the ground work. Most ADW Themes will work for VTL.Launcher.

Features Include:
    - tablet layout optimized (smaller screens will need to play with desktop layout and dock icon size)
    - elastic scrolling
    - 3 individually configurable/toggleable scrollable dock bars
    - individual controls per dock for background/reflection/visibility/icon size
    - icon size for docks can be set different per orientation
    - user folders to place shortcuts to apps, bookmarks, contacts, etc.
    - icon changing for user folders and apps.
    - quick action items menu when long pressing apps, folders and widgets.
    - catalogs for organizing apps in the app drawers
    - swipe actions on app drawer to navigate catalogs
    - uncataloged catalog where new and uncatagorized apps fall
    - 1 to 7 homes screens with sense-like previews
    - configurable action bindings (swipe up, swipe down, home button)
    - long hold uninstall from trashcan
    - moveable trashcan location
    - hide home screen icon labels
    - auto rotate orientation
    - system persistence with configurable locked orientation
    - widget size spanning
    - scrollable widget support
    - live wallpaper support
    - fullscreen mode
    - backup/restore settings
    - compatible with "most" ADW Themes

This should work on virtually any device. Though non large screen devices may have issues with the layouts so you will have to play with the desktop column, row numbers, dock sizes etc.

Bug fix 1.6.5 Fixes a layout bug on the docks that messed with alignment.

Bug fix 1.6.4 fixes crash issue on some devices from 1.6.3

New in Version 1.6.3:

-Icon number per dock is now dynamic depending on dock width, orientation and icon spacing.
    -Added Settings for Icon Spacing per Dock per Orientation.
    -Icons on Dock now have a dynamically set Layout Alignment/Gravity per Dock per Orientation.
    -Added Settings for Icon Alignment/Gravity per Dock per Orientation.
    -Cleaned up A TON of old code.
    -Fix issue with not showing in market for a few tablet models.

The Launcher is FREE here for XDA members. It costs 2.99 on the Android Market and with that you will get automatic updates and support further development.

MOD EDIT: REMOVED LINKS

Just wanted to clarify something in case it wasn't clear. Purchasing on the market only gets you "AUTO" updates.... updates will also be posted here for you to download free.... don't worry.... you guys won't miss out on anything if you don't buy it in the market... just wanted to use the market to get it out to more users. And to those that have or will donate.... THANK YOU! It means so much to see the support the community provides to it's developers and I want to keep supporting you as well!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Project site: http://vtlab.com/ (new site more info coming soon)

V. 1.6.5 - THIS IS AN APK INSTALL IT LIKE YOU WOULD ANY OTHER SIDE LOADED APP. IF YOUR BROWSER DOWNLOADS IT AS A ZIP RENAME IT TO AN APK TO INSTALL.
    Download: http://vtlab.com/downloads/VTLLauncher_1_6_5.apk
    Alternative Link: http://goo.gl/FjckW

f5f3d3c62a763b3dcd8dc261619ef8d1 VTLLauncher_1_6_5.apk

Launcher Screenshots:

VTLScreen1.png

VTLScreen2.png

VTLScreen3.png

VTLScreen5.png

VTLScreen7.png

VTLScreen9.png

CHANGELOG:

V.1.6.2 bugfix release:
    -------------
    -Fixed bug that was causing FC's on Honeycomb Devices.

V.1.6.1 bugfix release:
    -------------
    -Fixed bug in app drawer with Setup Catalog Button not working.
    -Added rotation capabilities and saved state to the Setup Catalog App List.

V.1.6.0:
    -------------
    -Moved from Beta to Stable.
    -App Drawer Performance Improvements.
    -New Package name to force reinstall on proper app signing to prepare for Market.
    -Added Individual Dock Controls for Icon Sizing Per Orientation (really large icons could look pixelated).
    -Added Dock background and corner graphic scaling based on icon size.
    -Added The Ability to Add/Remove the Bottom Dock. Side Docks Expand to claim the gap left.
    -Added Individual Dock Controls for Background/Reflection.
    -Added Individual Dock Controls for whether a dock should be displayed with the app drawer.
    -Added the Ability to Lock Orientation either Landscape/Portrait for persistence option.
    -Added Icon Changing for User Folders. New Icons then show up on desktop and in Docks.
    -Added a Revert to Default option for Icon Changes on items.
    -Added UnCataloged Catalog for items which you haven't placed in a catalog. New apps land here.
    -Added Quick Action Item to choose Catalog.
    -Added Quick Action menu capability to the app drawers. Long press any icon in drawer and don't move it.
    -Added Swipe to change catalogs in the drawer. Up/down in the Horizontal drawer and left/right in the Vertical.
    -Added Catalog name to the top of the app drawers.
    -Rearranged the menu slightly.
    -Minor Bugfixes.
    -Code Cleanup Removing more of the Old Dock Stuff.

Version Beta 1.5:
    --------------
    -Fixed Padding not following rules when docks are removed.
    -Fixed BUG: Swipe down on dock no longer hides dock (I have other plans for this type of functionality).

Version Beta 1.4:
    --------------

Version Beta 1.3:
    --------------
    -Increased Max Rows/Columns for desktop to 10.
    -Increased Max Rows/Columns for App Drawer to 8 across the board.
    -Added Option to turn off Scrolling Dockbar background in "UI Settings" menu.
    -Added Option to turn off Scrolling Dockbar Icon reflections in "UI Settings" menu.

Version Beta 1.2:
    --------------
    -Added in ADW Theme Support.
    -Fixed the wallpaper picker to include the one wallpaper so far.
    -Dock Background is skinnable by themes (will look into providing a switch to turn off the background and reflection soon)

Version Beta 1.1:
    --------------
    -Removed or disabled some of the settings that are not implemented or going away.

Version Beta 1.0:
    --------------
    -Added Scrollable Icon Drag/Drop-able Dock
    -Removed side dock as it is more phone oriented
    -Fixed up Icon scaling and reflections

Version Alpha:
    --------------
    -Started Ground Work
    I am also very keen to hear of a solution to this.

Really? How?
    A link to a tutorial or step-through would be superb.

Look here: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/developers.html
    Home Screen Intent

Tasker's Go Home action can specify the page of the home screen which should be shown. To support this action, a home screen need only accept the extra

net.dinglisch.android.tasker.extras.HOME_PAGE

with the launch intent, the value being an integer from 1 to 20.

Now whether or not this launcher supports the aforementioned intent is another story...
    Thanks! Unlike previous Ported Launchers I have posted here I am actually developing from source code on this one so you can expect more active development on this launcher.
    Sweet Jesus that's awesome! Cant wait to see where this goes.
    Also using 1.6.5 but with Astro file manager.
    Long press home screen, choose "Custom shortcut", tap "Pick your activity", I then select "Astro", navigate to any folder and choose a file, it then asks me to enter a "Shortcut Name" and click "OK", then selecting "OK" again will add it to the home screen.
    Tapping the icon on the home screen then shows a pop up to select an app to open the file with.
    Note: this only works for me with Astro, my other file manager app "Super Manager" does not appear in the list after the "Pick your activity" option.