Votes: 303 88.9%
  • Poll closed on OP request!

Votes: 42 12.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

projection

Nov 8, 2008
Introduction:
Since there have been massive problems playing back video on the newer HTC devices, I thought I'd step in...
Below is a GUI, to ease the pain of getting nicely watchable videos on the Touch HD, Xperia, Diamond and Touch Pro.
Any device with MSM720x chipset should work, just make sure to select the correct video resolution.
I would like to give a lot of thanks to tnyynt for helping me test and find the best parameters.

Current version: 1.21
gui.png

Instructions:
1. Download http://gm.mainframe.no/stuff/Encoder.rar
2. Unpack the RAR to a directory of your choosing (on your computer).
3. Run Encoder.exe
4. Select the videos you would like to encode and the output folder, hit "Start!". If you like you can tweak the options, but the pre-set options will produce good video for the four devices mentioned above.
5. Once finished encoding, transfer the encoded video to your device and use Album (or WMP) to view them.

Do not use Coreplayer and complain about performance! Coreplayer can not utilize hardware acceleration yet and is slow!

If your source videos are SD (DVD, PAL etc), use the default 600 kbit/s or 500kbit/s.
If your source videos are HD (1080p/720p), use 750kbit/s.

Remember, there is absolutely no point to use higher bitrate, because the quality won't really increase and you will use more battery life with higher bitrate! Also, if you are using less than WVGA resolution, you can apply less bitrate. The approximate formula is (YourWidth*YourHeight)/(800*480)*bitrate. So as example for QVGA you would use 4x less bitrate.

Source code:
Run: svn co svn://sirius.aai.ee/xda/Encoder/trunk
Anonymous access is read-only. If you wish to contribute, PM me for commit rights.
License for the code is GPLv2 for now.

Support:
If you like this tool and it works for you, please donate!
It took a lot of effort to find the optimal video settings and to code the GUI. It would also motivate me further to add some features such as hardsubbing and continue development of the tool.

Enjoy, and I await your feedback.

Last edited:

projection

Nov 8, 2008
Notes:
* Do not try to encode interlaced video (for example directly from a PAL/NTSC DVD or 1080i broadcasts), use an appropriate program to get that to progressive. There are many ways to deinterlace, and it would be out of the scope of my tool to cover them all. You are not even supposed to have such content on your computer, because you are most likely using a LCD display and all LCD displays are progressive. v1.13 remedies this a little bit, but it will not give you good results in all cases.

If you have any problems (can not encode, no output file etc):
Run Encoder.exe -debug. With that switch, it will generate a log.txt file in the same folder as it is located. Please zip and upload that log.txt file here, so I can see where the problem is.
If you don't post the log, there is most likely nothing I can do to help you, neither will I be able to fix the program, so please post logs!
Also, I am on #xda-devs @ irc.freenode.net - feel free to PM me if you like, although I am not sure when I can answer.

Future:
Current features planned:
- Drag and Drop
- DVD support
- Select language/encoding for subtitles
- Shutdown computer
- Better settings for subtitles/audio streams

If you have more ideas, please let me know.

Donations:
Thank you to everyone who donated. No matter the amount. You are the ones who make this community work.
- A crate of my favorite beer delivered in person by Tauno
- €40 by 2unique (THANK YOU!)
- €25 by Adrian
- €25 by Bernard
- €25 by michel
- €23 by Ivo
- €20 by Marc
- €15 by Tomas
- €15 by Christer
- €15 by Daniel
- €15 by garry
- €10 by Khoa
- €10 by Rosen
- €10 by Angelusz
- €10 by Amit
- €10 by Reidar
- €10 by Jørgen
- €10 by Steffen
- €10 by Richard
- €10 by Cédric
- €10 by Hemant
- €10 by Christopher
- €10 by garth
- €10 by Ivan
- €10 by Alan
- €8 by Enrico
- €6 by Nick
- €6 by Peter
- €5 by Björn
- €5 by Johan
- €5 by jm
- €5 by Kenyon
- €5 by Centaurus (4pda.ru)
- €5 by Antonio
- €5 by Joel
- €5 by Andrew
- €5 by Josh
- €5 by Stefan
- €5 by David
- €4 by Vasily (xda-dev/4pda.ru)
- €4 by Jeroen
- €3 by Afshan
- €2 by Rishi
- €2 by Juan
- €2 by julian

Last edited:

projection

Nov 8, 2008
Changelog:

v 1.21
-removed IVTC, was causing problems
-fixed some issues with aspectless videos
-fixed subtitles

v 1.20
-added subtitle support
-added audio stream selection
-added .flv to default list of file extensions
-added video file analysis tool
-added help button explaining the "misc. options" section
-added support for cropping the video to fit target aspect ratio (width)
-autocrop video height to resolution aspect (Album does this anyway, so it is a waste of bitrate not to)
-autoexpand video height to resolution aspect when displaying subtitles (letterboxes the movie, to use lower black bar for a part of the subtitles)
-fixed encoding failing sometimes with odd resolutions
-fixed encoding files without audio
-fixed encoding WMV9/VC-1 files

v 1.19
- Fixed encoding failures with non-standard video resolution
- Improved multi-core performance

v 1.18
- Fixed video artifacting on scene changes
- Added new mencoder binary and license

v 1.17
- Rare crash fixed, might help with A/V sync and some videos being blurry also.

v 1.16
- Worked around a mp4box bug with certain path names (reported on 4pda.ru forum)
- Fixed an encoding bug that caused issues on playback.
- Added the results of FPS detection to log file

v 1.15
- Increased Encoding speed by ~20%

v 1.14
- Added audio normalization
- Reworked the bitrate section of the GUI
- Last pathnames used for output and input files are now remembered
- Reduced logfile size by removing the progress messages
- Made logfiles more readable by using separators
- Fixed progressbar being stuck during the first 10% of conversion

v 1.13
- Added reverse telecine (pullup). Should help with some interlaced videos.
- Added output size selection: WVGA, VGA and Custom. The program should now work on Diamond/Raphael with VGA.
- Added support for network paths. For example \\computer\disk_d\video.avi
- Some more fixes for A/V sync

v 1.12
- FPS detection, should help with some A/V sync issues
- Slightly smoother playback

v 1.11
- Autodetect and honor aspect ratios when scaling
- Downmix audio (AC3) to 2 channels
- Resample audio to 44100hz

v 1.10 BETA
- Use mencoder as backend. All decoders are built-in, filesize of download is larger, but does not rely on installed codecs.
- Adjusted video encoding settings to hopefully get rid of de-sync and scrolling problems. Quality suffered a tiny bit though.
- Removed quality option - only the middle one was really useful
- Added option to pause and resume encoding
- Added some more checks to user input
- Increased logging
- Fixed debug message

v 1.04
- Fixed problem with seeking (hopefully)
- Fixed displaying debug message when debug is already enabled
- Some more cosmetic and compatibility changes

v 1.03
- Fixed "encoding" bug, that most people were experiencing.

v 1.02
- Fixed VOB/MPG and some other formats
- Fixed bug, where selecting the output directory before any input files would result in an error.

v 1.01
- Added logging option
- Added filename checks to program startup
- Human readable message for audio encoding failure

v 1.0
- Initial Release

Last edited:

tnyynt

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 18, 2007
It's alive!
Nice job on that!

Folks, some of you (stock ROM users mainly) will still need the SD TuneUp to improve SD Card speeds.

Go play! ;)

Later edit:
I've invited Sony Ericsson Xperia users to join this one since the two devices are so much the same! Please feed us back as per your results on this and state your device, Touch HD or Xperia! Good luck! Go play! :D

Last edited:

gjpax

Dec 24, 2008
iv installed sd tune up , am i correct in thinking that i just install this the once no matter how sd cards i use ?

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Cant get it to work, it says unable to encode. Make sure you have all required codecs installed. I have installed CCP codec pack and followed the instructions. Running Vista 64bit.

sameerabedi

Sep 16, 2008
My first attempt was unsuccessful due to a possible error with the codecs.
The link for the codecs you recommend wasn't working, but I found the codec pack at http://www.soft82.com/get/download/windows/combined-community-codec-pack/

AFter installing the pack I still get the unable to encode message. Now, I didn't uninstall all my codecs simply because I don't know how to! The codecs on my laptop must be all over the place and I don't know how to find them.

What should I do next? Thanks.

projection

Nov 8, 2008
I will give you a debug version tomorrow, if you like, and you can send me the log it generates.

That way I can find the actual problem...
My best bet is that your codecs are messed up.

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Need to be careful with my codecs i do blu-ray conversions to MKV, and use FFDshow to upscale DVD, dont want to mess that up!

Last edited:

Wolfenzi

Dec 25, 2008
Still not working, ever with avisynth. Looks like Projection is the only one who can use it :D
And by the way, when you will adding .srt subtitles support, dont use UTF8. Use latin2 or latin1.

Chris Cross

Nov 29, 2008
I just want to say... WOW - THANK YOU - it works beautifully on my HD.

My previous experience with playback:
I have been testing all kinds of settings using SUPER and playing some on Album while others on CorePlayer, and although the best was mp4 with h264 (I believe) I always used a video bitrate of at least 1000. My videos were playing well the best in Album, but with occasional hickups.
But the annoying thing, was that to bring up the play/pause navigation bar it was lagging BIG TIME and also caused the video to become choppy for a moment. If I paused the video, the pause would not register until about 4 seconds later. And scrolling was useless because it seriously took the HD forever to register that I was trying to scroll. Then, when the navigation bar disappeared (or appeared) it was always with three or four extremely choppy and jerky movements.

My experience with your program:
I had no problems installing and no problems converting.
FYI - I have the K-lite codec package installed on my Vista 32-bit PC.
I converted a sample xvid Prison Break video that is 2 minutes long.
I used the recommended "Medium" setting with 500 kbps and 128 kbps.
After conversion, the size of the file went down from 17MB to 8.7MB.
It played absolutely perfectly on the HD.
And the navigation bar is smooth and responds instantly to play/pause and scrolling!!!!! :D

My conclusion:
This has by far created the best video playback experience for me.
I can finally enter my opinion in the poll as "yeah, baby!" :)

A huge THANK YOU to projection for the hard work and the hours spent on this. And thank you for taking the initiative to create this so that others can benefit. Of course a big thank you to tnyynt for his help, time and dedication to everything involving video playback on the HD. I know others are still having problems with this new encoder. I hope the issues get resolved, because I would want everyone to have the same experience I am having with video playback now.

I'll add a link to this thread on the wiki about "Video Playback Basics". For those interested in that wiki - see my signature. It is meant to help those who have little to no knowledge about video conversion, so that when they read threads in the forum, they won't feel so lost in the midst of all the terminology. I think with this program now, people won't need that wiki at all. :)

I'll attach a link to the converted file in case someone wants to see the end result. http://www.savefile.com/files/1953095

vosszaa

Nov 23, 2008
Unable to encode, it says.

Try Avisynth and the new encoder pack that u provide, still no success.

Note: i use Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Any suggesion?

k4l3d

Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for this piece of software.
However it doesn't work on my windows XP SP3 32 bit machine. I got the same error as most of the people here.
I've reinstalled my K-lite codec pack to no avail. Hope to get the version with debug message on, so we can know exactly whats wrong.

cheers..

2unique

Jul 7, 2008
Bangkok
www.tastythai.com
AWESOME, JUST AWESOME

finally a converter that effectively enables me to play a fullscreen video on the HD and stop it when i want to.
i know that's a bit unfair as many encoders are multi-platform but hey them's the breaks :p

goodbye super, goodbye handbrake... i'll be keeping QMC for .flv file conversions and cutting snippets of movies but you guys have made a lot of people really happy.

a donation coming your way from one grateful guy

vosszaa

Nov 23, 2008
Just a couple of question for Chris Cross, who success in using this program.

1. What OS u on?
2. Do u uninstall everycodec u had before?
3. Do u install Avisynth and CCCOdec pack as suggested?

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:
    Since there have been massive problems playing back video on the newer HTC devices, I thought I'd step in...
    Below is a GUI, to ease the pain of getting nicely watchable videos on the Touch HD, Xperia, Diamond and Touch Pro.
    Any device with MSM720x chipset should work, just make sure to select the correct video resolution.
    I would like to give a lot of thanks to tnyynt for helping me test and find the best parameters.

Current version: 1.21
    gui.png

Instructions:
    1. Download http://gm.mainframe.no/stuff/Encoder.rar
    2. Unpack the RAR to a directory of your choosing (on your computer).
    3. Run Encoder.exe
    4. Select the videos you would like to encode and the output folder, hit "Start!". If you like you can tweak the options, but the pre-set options will produce good video for the four devices mentioned above.
    5. Once finished encoding, transfer the encoded video to your device and use Album (or WMP) to view them.

Do not use Coreplayer and complain about performance! Coreplayer can not utilize hardware acceleration yet and is slow!

If your source videos are SD (DVD, PAL etc), use the default 600 kbit/s or 500kbit/s.
    If your source videos are HD (1080p/720p), use 750kbit/s.

Remember, there is absolutely no point to use higher bitrate, because the quality won't really increase and you will use more battery life with higher bitrate! Also, if you are using less than WVGA resolution, you can apply less bitrate. The approximate formula is (YourWidth*YourHeight)/(800*480)*bitrate. So as example for QVGA you would use 4x less bitrate.

Source code:
    Run: svn co svn://sirius.aai.ee/xda/Encoder/trunk
    Anonymous access is read-only. If you wish to contribute, PM me for commit rights.
    License for the code is GPLv2 for now.

Support:
    If you like this tool and it works for you, please donate!
    It took a lot of effort to find the optimal video settings and to code the GUI. It would also motivate me further to add some features such as hardsubbing and continue development of the tool.

Enjoy, and I await your feedback.