Android 2.1 on Titan

Search This thread

RyanMogul

Retired Recognized Developer
I am trying the same thing as you are trying, only trying to get Android into the Mogul's internal memory (to replace WinMo), per the instructions found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=636024

Would love any thoughts folks in the know might have.

Yea only one really big problem with running NAND Android on the Mogul (Titan). That link is for the Touch (Vogue).

We are stuck with the SD method for now. And anything above 1.6 runs really slow.

xiton

Oct 5, 2009
Yea only one really big problem with running NAND Android on the Mogul (Titan). That link is for the Touch (Vogue).

We are stuck with the SD method for now. And anything above 1.6 runs really slow.

Good to know. I was wondering at the speed of the higher versions on the Titan. I think it would be cool to dual boot one of your ROMs with a 1.6 build. :)

staticchmbr

Jan 13, 2009
i hope so... i got myns warm donut to work fine on my titan, but i had to do it from the sd card.. i figure all we need is a .nbh file, and we can nand this!

nyterage

Feb 7, 2010
Somewhere
I have mssmison's eclair v7 (android 2.1) running off my SD card at a decent speed, i was suprised. its just about as fast as mym's warm donut build. im running a custom default.txt file and the eclair zimage and it seems to work well, not the fastest (fastest is probably the 1.5 ion build) but it works.

intimidatorx31

Jun 8, 2007
Glendale
just outta curiosity (im a vogue user)

trying to help a friend with a mogul out.

You guys have a class 6 microsd? or is it class 4.
Speed ok with anything below a class 6 microsd?

Also did you guys partition it? ext2 or swap?

I really hope someone can add nand to the mogul.

nyterage

Feb 7, 2010
Somewhere
im using a old class 2 microSD card, slow as hell but it dosent run extremely slow, i partioned ext2 and it ran at decent speeds, i want a better SD card so i can really see how android would run on the mogul but i dont have the money to (odviously or i wouldnt be using such a out of date piece of hardware)

Marbieskarb

Jun 14, 2008
I have mssmison's eclair v7 (android 2.1) running off my SD card at a decent speed, i was suprised. its just about as fast as mym's warm donut build. im running a custom default.txt file and the eclair zimage and it seems to work well, not the fastest (fastest is probably the 1.5 ion build) but it works.

Did you have to flash the NBH file to your phone to use this? If not could you post all the files you use?

I'm currently using the initial 1.5 version which is basic. It doesn't require flashing any files. All the files you need are just placed on the sd card.

intimidatorx31

Jun 8, 2007
Glendale
Did you have to flash the NBH file to your phone to use this? If not could you post all the files you use?

I'm currently using the initial 1.5 version which is basic. It doesn't require flashing any files. All the files you need are just placed on the sd card.

um i dont think you can flash android on moguls yet; therefore no nbh can be used. I know nbh is becoming the newer way to have android on either nand or sd but the support isnt there yet for moguls.

The way the person above is using androind on the mogul is through the sd card. You have to (similar to the way you're using android on your phone now). I believe you are using haret.exe. Anyways to FULLY maximize performance for android on sd card, you have to partition the sd card (divide the sd card).

They way you're using it right now is only 1 partition (lets say you have a 2GB SD card formated to fat32 or ntfs).

However to make android run at decent speeds, you have to partition (divide that 2GB SD Card into 3 parts).
2GB SD card gets broken down and split up into:
*256MB formated to ext2 (instead of fat32)
*Another 256MB formated to ext2
*1536MB formated to FAT32 (where you put your data normally)

After you partitioned the sd card..... you now install android (instead of running it like you've been)

You run haret.exe as usual but theres and option to copy data and systemto the ex2 partitions you made on the sd card.

the 2 ext2 partitions above will be contain the android data and system files
and will make android run faster because android files are all in that partition and it doesnt have to search and filter through your user files.

In my signature theres a video on how to partition your sd card.... but you have to figure out how to get your sd card to detect on your computer..(via card reader or other methods)

Marbieskarb

Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for the info intimidatorx31. That helps out tremendously. However, on the newer builds of android that are posted, instead of having the traditional system.img and rootfs.img files there is an androidinstaller.tar. Do I now use that? Also, which files go on each of the 3 partitions? On all of the directions I've found have only stated to put the downloaded files in the "andboot" folder.

Last edited:

intimidatorx31

Jun 8, 2007
Glendale
Thanks for the info intimidatorx31. That helps out tremendously. However, on the newer builds of android that are posted, instead of having the traditional system.img and rootfs.img files there is an androidinstaller.tar. Do I now use that? Also, which files go on each of the 3 partitions? On all of the directions I've found have only stated to put the downloaded files in the "andboot" folder.

You're right; forgot everything has moved to andboot folder setup with no more roofts as well.

Well the android rom im using (Myn's warm donut for the vogue) has
the classic sqsh files which is what YOU need to run it off sd card using haret.exe (running off sd card).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=619980
this is where the thread is

Heres the direct link to dwonload:http://download203.mediafire.com/9k22dfx80ymg/kzyxtqkzcwa/myn-WarmDonut-03-16-2010-SQSH.zip

for additional instructions go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=648045

Remember if you are using off sd card its highly recommended to partition the sd card; so it doesnt have to search the entire sd card...itll just have to search within that partition you've created (ext2 partition which is recognized by android)

Last edited:

miraclmoore

Oct 27, 2009
LAND OF THE SUN
Lost trying to get Android 2.1 on my Titan!!!

I have mssmison's eclair v7 (android 2.1) running off my SD card at a decent speed, i was suprised. its just about as fast as mym's warm donut build. im running a custom default.txt file and the eclair zimage and it seems to work well, not the fastest (fastest is probably the 1.5 ion build) but it works

:Dhave a few questions if anyone can help::D
1. when i go here to get the myns warm donut version post am i supposed to use the SQSH version? if not i should be using the NoMoRootFs 240x320 version correct?

2. how do you install the mssmison's eclair or myn's warm doughnut? I just come back with errors each time.

3. what is the correct setup of the 3 partitions? I used partition manager 9 and made 3 partitions, but when i tried to install android there was no option to choose a partition.

4. is mssmison's more stable than myn's doughnut?

Sorry for all the questions, i'd love to mess around with android, but my last install was the myn's warm doughnut sqsh version, and it was installing for like 2 days....scrolling a bunch of files repeatedly it got up to 53276.1234 until i finally just said forget it, and rebooted. If anyone can help i'd be GREATLY appreciative!!

Thanks Gang!:cool:

nyterage

Feb 7, 2010
Somewhere
miraclmoore, read the post a few above mine, it explains how to partion the SD card, and how i did it? custom default.txt, zimage for the mogul and a little technical knowldge, prettymuch all you have to do is put the androidinstall.tar in the andboot folder and run haret.exe then as soon as it vibrates press and hold the center button til the install screen appears, select to put data and system on ext2 and install it, runs with no errors (except completely randomly tty access errors when it first starts but those dont matter)

miraclmoore

Oct 27, 2009
LAND OF THE SUN
just wondering.....

nyterage..where did you find the custom default.txt and zimage for the mogul? considering all builds are for vogue, kaiser, and polaris? also when I use myns sqsh the system tries to create a new dataa store instead of just using the sqsh files like i've seen in others installations. I used partition manager 9 to partition my card. also do u need to give the 2 ext partitions drive letters? hope I am not asking stupid question as this is all a little new to me.

nismotigerwvu

Jul 4, 2008
So am I completely boned if the down direction on my d pad is doesn't work? I can get to the install menu but then I can;t do anything at it :(

m16-maniac

Oct 7, 2005
can someone provide a exact instructions on how to get a ppc 6800 titan.
i have spl-2.40
ppck 23569 image installed.

i couldnt get the android 1.5 to work from the "android packages" thread.

can someone say if this (android 2.1) or if android 1.5 working on the ppc 6800 titan thread.

if it is working please provide an exact instructions on how to get this working with the exact files needed for the sd card method im guessing.

tyme2tb

Nov 4, 2009
I have the same problem

So am I completely boned if the down direction on my d pad is doesn't work? I can get to the install menu but then I can;t do anything at it :(

Any build I use when I get to the install screen to select where I want to install it, I cannot select anything. Only 2 things I can highlight in the list are install to NAND and quit.

The proper options are selected by default buy I cannot get to menu option 1 to do the install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Even if you had 1MB free NAND would help. You are forgetting about Compcache. Also a swap partition helps
    Just letting you guys know someone donated an XV6800 to me. I am gonna start working with it as soon as I get it. It's hard for me to say how exactly it will run unless I work with it. Should be able to make it work though.

Nice to hear that!
    If something is wrong with a kernel - tell me, maybe I can fix that.
    One thing I still have not fixed is a panel powersaving. If you start Android with a backlight set to something other than minimal - buttons light will be always on.

Hope you will get a working system.
    Did you try his zimage from his other thread? Then you could know the free RAM.

Perhaps you no longer have a Mogul?
    I still have a Mogul, but now I have no free time at all. I think in a week or two I'll have some.
    Even if you had 1MB free NAND would help. You are forgetting about Compcache. Also a swap partition helps
    I disagree. If you have 1MB free then you won't be able to even launch any application. System will continuously start threads and kill others, start new and kill existing. That is what I got with Android 1.5 when tried it. Even media scanner could not index all my music, because it was killed soon after start.
    And compcache still need some RAM to operate (or you use it just to compress swap?).

Anyway, I think it is counter-productive to argue. Just try to get it running, I will be happy if you will get better results than mine.