[MOD] Disable Powerdaemon Constraints - Allow custom governor settings to stick

Search This thread

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
This mod disables the powerdaemon constraints that prevent custom cpu governor settings from sticking. This was developed on my T210R, but should work for others.

Background:
There are 2 files in the /system/etc directory (powerdaemon.xml and powerdaemon_z3.xml) that are used to monitor various states of the system (ie. "booting", "games", "video playback"). Certain constraints are set depending on the system state. Most of these constraints are a variation of the "ondemand" or "performance" governors. These constraints adjust the min/max frequency and set control to a specific governor. This is why you can not get any cpu governor settings to stick.

What I changed:
I changed all system states to be directed to the "normal" constraint. This constraint does NOT change the selected governor and has min/max frequencies of 0/150%. This basically disables any effect the powerdaemon has. The 150% max does not mean your cpu will run at 150%, it simply allows overclocking if your kernel supports it.

In my testing, simply deleting the files or disabling the system states caused higher than normal cpu usage. It seemed to be trying to continually process information that it couldn't find. So, creating a "normal" constraint that did not limit any funtionality seemed to be the best option. The powerdaemon controller still processes everything, but has no real affect.

Installation:
Download and flash the Powerdaemon.disable.zip (with custom recovery). You may want to make a copy of your original files if you are using a different model.

If you want to restore the original xmls, just flash the Powerdaemon.restore.zip. These are from my T210R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flash at you own risk. I tried my best to explain what the mod does, so I take no responsibility for what you do with your Tab.

Attachments

• PowerDaemon.disable.zip
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,925
  • PowerDaemon.restore.zip
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,018
Last edited:

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
Nicely done! What settings are you running your tab with now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

To be honest, I actually use the default settings (with powerdaemon still enabled). I don't really use my Tab very much (except when I travel), so I don't worry much about battery life or performance enhancements.

With the powerdaemon still enabled, I find that I get less lag, because some of the constraints were set to change minimum frequency to a higher value than what it would normally be.

I discovered how this works back when trying to build my own kernel (with additional governors). I could never get the new governors to stick, so I started investigating and discovered the powerdaemon files. I have never really been that interested in changing governors, but I know that there are a lot of people who really like to change them. That's why I decided to put this out there. :good:

jbyers5355

Nov 4, 2007
I have the t217s that doesn't have a working recovery if I copy the two files to my /system/etc and give them the proper permissions it should work right?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
I have the t217s that doesn't have a working recovery if I copy the two files to my /system/etc and give them the proper permissions it should work right?

Theoretically, yes. Since you have a different model than what I developed it on, you may want to compare your original files to the "restore" files I provided, to make sure that everything is the same. I know the cpu is a little different with the T217. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: fauna

jbyers5355

Nov 4, 2007
Well I looked in /system/etc on my t217s and did not find any powerdaemon files but I did find that if I change the governor settings that they do stick

thref23

Jul 27, 2007
You can also simply edit the values in the default files to change cpu config without using an app to do it. The disadvantage is you might not know for certain what is and isn't supported, but I upped my minimum frequency across most system states to 624 mhz, and I switched from the default 'ondemand' governor to 'interactive.' As a result my cpu's frequency, when not in deep sleep, is usually at 624 mhz and occasionally at 1.2 Ghz and rarely at 1.012 Ghz.

I had only owned my tab for a couple days before switching the settings, so I can't provide much of a before/after case study. But I am pleased with performance and battery life is okay, on average usage with 20% screen brightness (occasionally higher) it seems I can get at least 6 hrs screen on time over the course of a day.

kinglauryl

Nov 10, 2004
Manila
Sir I included your Powerdaemon MOD on my SGYTT210xPerformanceUpgradePack, credits were given to you on the MOD. I cannot send private message to you, I think theres restriction.

Reactions: gr8nole

zach61797

Oct 18, 2013
Wi
Depends on which version you are referring to. For the Marvel based 7 in Tab, you need to delete /system/bin/phservice. At least that is what is required on 4.4.2 for the Tab 3 7 in (Marvel-based). On 4.4.2, the don't use the powerdaemon.xml's anymore.

I have the tab 4 8.0 t330nu. I have tried to change the speed but it never lets the speed change. I can go from ondemand or preformance bit the speed stays set i cant make it go up or down

saphta

Sep 10, 2013
Toronto
This mod disables the powerdaemon constraints that prevent custom cpu governor settings from sticking. This was developed on my T210R, but should work for others.

Background:
There are 2 files in the /system/etc directory (powerdaemon.xml and powerdaemon_z3.xml) that are used to monitor various states of the system (ie. "booting", "games", "video playback"). Certain constraints are set depending on the system state. Most of these constraints are a variation of the "ondemand" or "performance" governors. These constraints adjust the min/max frequency and set control to a specific governor. This is why you can not get any cpu governor settings to stick.

What I changed:
I changed all system states to be directed to the "normal" constraint. This constraint does NOT change the selected governor and has min/max frequencies of 0/150%. This basically disables any effect the powerdaemon has. The 150% max does not mean your cpu will run at 150%, it simply allows overclocking if your kernel supports it.

In my testing, simply deleting the files or disabling the system states caused higher than normal cpu usage. It seemed to be trying to continually process information that it couldn't find. So, creating a "normal" constraint that did not limit any funtionality seemed to be the best option. The powerdaemon controller still processes everything, but has no real affect.

Installation:
Download and flash the Powerdaemon.disable.zip (with custom recovery). You may want to make a copy of your original files if you are using a different model.

If you want to restore the original xmls, just flash the Powerdaemon.restore.zip. These are from my T210R.

Flash at you own risk. I tried my best to explain what the mod does, so I take no responsibility for what you do with your Tab.

Hi Gr8nole,

Thank you for your work on this. I have an issue with my T210R (4.4.2) the settings I make they don't stick after reboot. I used kernel adiutor, EX kernel manager, Performance tweaker.
I've flashed Powerdaemon.disable.zip
I have busybox installed, am I missing something?

Edit: I've found your suggestion about deleting /system/bin/phservice. I deleted the file, rebooted, changed to governor to lionheart. It seemed to keep the settings.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Background:

What I changed:

Installation:

To be honest, I actually use the default settings (with powerdaemon still enabled). I don't really use my Tab very much (except when I travel), so I don't worry much about battery life or performance enhancements.

With the powerdaemon still enabled, I find that I get less lag, because some of the constraints were set to change minimum frequency to a higher value than what it would normally be.

I discovered how this works back when trying to build my own kernel (with additional governors). I could never get the new governors to stick, so I started investigating and discovered the powerdaemon files. I have never really been that interested in changing governors, but I know that there are a lot of people who really like to change them. That's why I decided to put this out there. :good:

Theoretically, yes. Since you have a different model than what I developed it on, you may want to compare your original files to the "restore" files I provided, to make sure that everything is the same. I know the cpu is a little different with the T217. Let us know how it goes.