[WORKING ROOT] How to root Amazon Fire HD 8 & 10! (NOT 5th Gen / 2016 model)

Search This thread

MegaKabuterimon

Oct 10, 2016
First: Go to Settings > Security > Enable Apps from Unknown Sources.

Download The Google Apps (I can't link, so google search them)

**Use an app such as ES File Explorer to install them, but install them in this exact order:
  1. Google Services Framework
  2. Google Play Services
  3. Google Account Manager
  4. Google Play Store
After Google Play Store is installed (the last one), open it. Search and download Youtube App. After Youtube App is done, open it, which will bring you to the Google Play Store Update page. Update. Restart Device. Done.:good: Everything in the Google App Store should be working.

Cheers.

So, thank you for posting the first and only 6th gen guide for the fire tablet, but these instructions aren't working for me. I have a feeling it could be because I updated the Fire OS to 5.3.1.1 (latest patch). Every time I try to install any of the apps listed above, I get a "parse error", which I'm sure in Kindle speak means "we don't want any google play on this device, use our app store because we want money damn it". It does this even when I try to use the ES Explorer, which coincidentally, I am no longer able to update. Any suggestions?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
So, thank you for posting the first and only 6th gen guide for the fire tablet, but these instructions aren't working for me. I have a feeling it could be because I updated the Fire OS to 5.3.1.1 (latest patch). Every time I try to install any of the apps listed above, I get a "parse error", which I'm sure in Kindle speak means "we don't want any google play on this device, use our app store because we want money damn it". It does this even when I try to use the ES Explorer, which coincidentally, I am no longer able to update. Any suggestions?
parse error is just general install error, often a factory reset will fix
the 7in supertool also works great for installing Google Apps
I created a new thread
[Q&A/T] Amazon Fire 5th Gen [SuperTool] (Un/Official Help Thread for HD8/HD10)
for specific questions about the Fire Supertool and the HD8/HD10 models

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

Reactions: MegaKabuterimon

Jackie78

Dec 14, 2011
I have installed Google apps on my Fire HD 6th Gen, but I cannot automatically sync my Google account, to automatically be notified of new mails in the GoogleMail app. There is no such setting as "add account" to add custom accounts. Is there any workaround?

munsterisque

Oct 17, 2016
Did anyone have success using Kingroot on the latest 2016 Fire HD 8 (and 10) devices?

No, not yet. I'm following this daily, because I want to root it. This is what I know so far:
Kindle 8, 6th Generation:
  1. Root: Not possible yet with any tool
  2. Google Play/Store -
    [*]On 5.3.1 OS -> Via Rootjunky Script.
    [*]On 5.3.1.1 OS -> I dont know.​

Last edited:

Jackie78

Dec 14, 2011
I installed the Playstore on 5.3.1, after that the device auto-updated to 5.3.1.1, and the playstore is still there. So maybe I had just luck...

ElijahJ777

Nov 9, 2016
Help Please!

Hello and Thank you for viewing my post!

I am New to Android Devices and the "Rooting" Process. I am a regular Apple user and use a Jailbroken iPhone and Use a Mac as well but have Windows Mirroring Capabilities on my Mac.

I just bought the Kindle Fire HD 8 (6th Generation) (2016) and it came with os 5.1.1 installed but once i connected to wifi it automatically updated me to 5.3.1.1.

I do not like the OS it includes as there are too many annoyances present (Ads, Unwanted OEM Applications, Etc.) and would like to Root my device and Run a "Real" Android OS and in other words, convert my Kindle Fire HD 8 into a Android Tablet as many do but i am unable to root because i am on 5.3.1.1.

If someone could please help walk me through the steps i need to take to root and all the tools ill need to do so, as well as ways to avoid bricking the device in the process.

Thank you in advance!
-Elijah

dice4206

Dec 22, 2009
Does anyone know for sure how to root a Fire 10 H.D. OS 5.3.1? Ive tried the super tool from Root Junky and King root. No success. Ive looked at every article and website that comes up in a search but no joy so far. Any assist would be appreciated. I hope this post is in the correct place. Thank you

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
The 6th gen Amazon tablets cannot be rooted at this time. The best you can hope for is to get the playstore on it. If you don't want the ads, pull up a chat screen with Amazon customer service and request nicely that they remove the ads. Guy on YouTube has video on it if you can believe it. :)

tnowakow

Nov 27, 2008
The 6th gen Amazon tablets cannot be rooted at this time. The best you can hope for is to get the playstore on it. If you don't want the ads, pull up a chat screen with Amazon customer service and request nicely that they remove the ads. Guy on YouTube has video on it if you can believe it. :)

When you say 'best you can hope for' does that mean we can't even install the Play store on it?

Also, I bought some factory reset cable for Fire Tablet early this year. Does that factory reset cable not work anymore either? Thanks!

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
What I mean is that you can install Google Playstore. I installed it on my 6th generation Fire Tablet using Root Junky. When you find it online, it will say that it will remove the ads, but it doesn't. I can't remember but it may work on only those Fire Tablets that have been rooted, but of course as you know the 6th generation cannot be rooted at this time. So, the only thing you can do is install Playstore.

The last time there was a factory reset cable (I have one also) was for one of the older Fire tablets. Not sure you can use it on one of the new tablets. I wouldn't recommend it on the newer Fire Tablets (like generation 5 and 6).

When you say 'best you can hope for' does that mean we can't even install the Play store on it?

Also, I bought some factory reset cable for Fire Tablet early this year. Does that factory reset cable not work anymore either? Thanks!

Reactions: dlabadie

behradbv

Aug 1, 2015
Tehran
Hi.
I have 5.3.1.0 on my HD8 and Kingroot still can't root my device. Now 5.3.2 is available. In order to root it sooner, should I upgrade to latest firmware or remain on 5.3.1.0?
Is there any alternative way to root?

Last edited:

GamerKingFaiz

Mar 27, 2013
Hi.
I have 5.3.1.0 on my HD8 and Kingroot still can't root my device. Now 5.3.2 is available. In order to root it sooner, should I upgrade to latest firmware or remain on 5.3.1.0?
Is there any alternative way to root?

I'm pretty sure that KingRoot only works on 5th gen HD8s. From what I've read the 6th gens are unrootable. But if someone knows otherwise please let me know.

For now, I've settled with just getting the play store downloaded.

Reactions: behradbv

behradbv

Aug 1, 2015
Tehran
I'm pretty sure that KingRoot only works on 5th gen HD8s. From what I've read the 6th gens are unrootable. But if someone knows otherwise please let me know.

For now, I've settled with just getting the play store downloaded.

I do have the 5th generation. So you mean I must wait?
If i remain in 5.3.1.0 I will recieve root access faster than 5.3.2 or not?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Somebody needs to change the thread title to show this is not for the 2016 model.
    The only way I could use a different launcher (nova) properly was by changing the name of com.firelauncher.apk

/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.firelauncher.apk

I changed it to :

/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/--com.firelauncher.apk.--

(Some suggest to delete, but just changing the name worked for me.)

Just renamed back to com.firelauncher.apk and rebooted. fire launcher is running.
    Changed back to --com.firelauncher.apk.-- and rebooted. nova launcher is running.

I know it's more than an icon click but it works..
    Not sure why anyone would want fire launcher but, hey too each their own. :eek:
    Curious to see if home switching apps work with com.firelauncher is disabled.. :confused:

!! To all reading this post, make sure to install and setup a different launcher before disabling com.firelauncher.apk !!

Sent from my Amazon KFMEWI using XDA Labs
    I figured out a way. I moved the firelauncher.apk to /data/apps and changed the permissions to match the other user apps. Rebooted. Then got a prompt to select default launcher and the firelauncher was one of the choices. I am using Apex Launcher, which I had to put into /system/apps with appropriate permissions so that I could install wallpaper.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Has anyone been able to get live wallpapers to work? I did some messing around with file location and the wallpapers are showing up in the wallpaper selections, but they are unable to be set. I also tried several alternate launchers, didn't make a difference. I can't imagine this is a hardware issue. Any ideas?
    Do you have a link to this file. Seems to be missing from Google search.
    http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/?id=9793#downloads

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Labs
    only the full firmware file, I believe
    what errors did you see?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

if push command seemed to work
    may need to fix file permission
    adb shell chmod 644 /data/filename

Sent from my Motorola XT1060 using XDA Labs

Hi again, I have made several trials, all failed but suddenly it worked and started on Google launcher first run! I really don't know how and why! Perhaps the several reboots?
    I found this video on Youtube when I was looking for a way to root. it seems its practical
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVv1D_LNLTg

That is only for the 7inch model, this is the HD 8 and 10 section.