The USB OTG that Do and DO NOT work with Nexus 7 Thread

Search This thread

uberNoobZA

Oct 10, 2008
Oxford
I realize there is another thread about an OTG cable that does work with the Nexus 7, but after 3 or 4 posts, it has digressed into discussing what to plug into the OTG and what to use instead of OTG.

As I struggled to find any confirmation of a device I could buy in the UK that DID work with the Nexus 7, I thought I'd make this thread. At the same time, I also bought a USB OTG adapter that does NOT work with the Nexus 7, so thought I'd let you know of that one too. I would like to request that people use this thread to show USB OTG's that they have confirmed as working with the Nexus 7 and also those that do not work.

For those OTGs that are working, please indicate what tests you have done as well as where you purchased it (links please). Please try to refrain from discussing / recommending devices to plug into the USB OTG unless it's to say you have confirmed it as working with the USG OTG and Nexus 7.

DOES work with Nexus 7 -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FUNQXS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I can confirm that the following work on the Nexus 7 with this Adapter -

- USB Keyboard plugged into Adapter
- USB mouse plugged into Adapter
- USB mouse and USB keyboard plugged into (self powered) USB HUB, and HUB plugged into adapter
- USB Memory Stick (pendrive as some call them) as long as the Nexus 7 and Google Nexus are ROOTED and have a utility called StickMount installed (from Google Play Store)
- USB Dongle for Wireless Keyboard (with built in trackball), plugged into Adapter. Nexus 7 picks up both mouse and keyboard

I have confirmed that my wireless keyboard (with trackball) works great with this USB OTG Adapter

Does NOT work With Nexus 7 -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007TOK1V8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Last edited:

bennor3814

Jul 19, 2012
Nexus 7
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Ordered two different USB-OTG cables from Amazon. Only the second one, SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG, has come in. Took 12 days from shipping confirmation email to end user delivery.

SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note
SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG(On-The-Go) Cable Adapter for Samsung Galaxy s2 i9100

The SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG cable works fine. I've detailed my experiences in the External Storage Device Compatibility Review thread in this forum.

As I've mentioned in several other USB-OTG threads. The SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG cable I received is shorter than the one pictured at Amazon. See attached.

Attachments

• Amazon_USBOTG.jpg
    Amazon_USBOTG.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 3,450
  • USB-OTGStreightCable.jpg
    USB-OTGStreightCable.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 3,731
Reactions: Dcrusoe

CK_AL

Aug 7, 2012
Just recieved couple dongo that I had ordered last week from Amazon.ca, they both don't work with my N7 tablet. Their info. at below.
Also ordered couple Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter -- from Eforcity (not arrive yet). Hope they will work.

Today TURNS CORPORATION, trading on Amazon as YELLOWKNIFE CABLE, shipped item(s) in your order, placed on August 01, 2012
==================================================
SHIPPING DETAILS
==================================================
The following items were sold by and shipped from TURNS CORPORATION in package 1 of this shipment:

2 of USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Connector Adapter

Attachments

• IMG_20120807_163246.jpg
    IMG_20120807_163246.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 3,670

sleeplessninja

Mar 14, 2011
Amherst
I have a Motorola OTG Cable and confirm it works for and also videos to show them in action:

Reactions: andymihail

bennor3814

Jul 19, 2012
Nexus 7
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Yes there is. There are several threads in this forum as well as the Q/A and General forums related to USB-OTG cables,and what works and what doesn't with them. Just as there are multiple threads about the same case (Blurex for example) running in this forum. Just as there are several threads ongoing about POGO pins and the Dock accessory.

Give it a few days and someone else will start a new thread or two asking the same questions... :laugh:

proud_whovian

Jul 19, 2012
The eKit 4 in 1 Connection Kit For Samsung Galaxy S2, work fine for me!
Not tried keyboard or mouse. But SD card and USCB stick work ok.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/ekit-4-in-1-connection-kit-for-samsung-galaxy-s2-p34143.htm

I have that one and the fit is a little looser than I would like with the nexus 7 and slight nudge may make it lose the connection with the nexus 7, it doesn't completely fall off but just out enough to lose the connection . Maybe its because in essence you put the thing in backwards? It fits snugly in my galaxy s2.
Is yours the same?

Reactions: ale896

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
Anyone find a small card reader that works? I got a bunch of microsds lying around that I wouldn't mind using on this. (Even found a class 10 8GB SD in school one day :p)

testaccount

May 17, 2007
Anyone find a small card reader that works? I got a bunch of microsds lying around that I wouldn't mind using on this. (Even found a class 10 8GB SD in school one day :p)

smaller: http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-...=itemasin0f-20&keywords=micro+usb+card+reader

bigger: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDDR-...485286&sr=8-15&keywords=micro+usb+card+reader

i have both and they work with a OTG cable

@uberNoobZA, i have bought it from different sellers from that page, the one i have on hand from when it was a dollar something works fine, now that its about 60 cents i ordered a few more, hoping they are the same thing

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realize there is another thread about an OTG cable that does work with the Nexus 7, but after 3 or 4 posts, it has digressed into discussing what to plug into the OTG and what to use instead of OTG.

As I struggled to find any confirmation of a device I could buy in the UK that DID work with the Nexus 7, I thought I'd make this thread. At the same time, I also bought a USB OTG adapter that does NOT work with the Nexus 7, so thought I'd let you know of that one too. I would like to request that people use this thread to show USB OTG's that they have confirmed as working with the Nexus 7 and also those that do not work.

For those OTGs that are working, please indicate what tests you have done as well as where you purchased it (links please). Please try to refrain from discussing / recommending devices to plug into the USB OTG unless it's to say you have confirmed it as working with the USG OTG and Nexus 7.

DOES work with Nexus 7 -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FUNQXS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
    I can confirm that the following work on the Nexus 7 with this Adapter -

- USB Keyboard plugged into Adapter
    - USB mouse plugged into Adapter
    - USB mouse and USB keyboard plugged into (self powered) USB HUB, and HUB plugged into adapter
    - USB Memory Stick (pendrive as some call them) as long as the Nexus 7 and Google Nexus are ROOTED and have a utility called StickMount installed (from Google Play Store)
    - USB Dongle for Wireless Keyboard (with built in trackball), plugged into Adapter. Nexus 7 picks up both mouse and keyboard

I have confirmed that my wireless keyboard (with trackball) works great with this USB OTG Adapter

Does NOT work With Nexus 7 -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007TOK1V8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
    The eKit 4 in 1 Connection Kit For Samsung Galaxy S2, work fine for me!
    Not tried keyboard or mouse. But SD card and USCB stick work ok.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/ekit-4-in-1-connection-kit-for-samsung-galaxy-s2-p34143.htm
    Motorola Camera Connection Kit cable. High quality, heavy duty, built to exacting specifications of the usb standards.

Sadly, runs about $19.xx and change.

If I didn't already have this one, I too would have randomly chosen one of the chinese knockoff cables that are only $2.xx.