The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

Search This thread

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York
I just spoke with my anonymous source who for reasons of protecting my relationship with them & vice-versa, I can say no more. The bottom line is no confirmatory information regarding the timing of release, the version number, etc. is going to be released to users at this point for a variety of reasons. Thus, I'm going to sit back & cool my jets & just wait as any specific answers being provided to us, or anyone else, are simply not sanctioned. I can assure that I'm not 'blowing smoke' as I have the utmost respect for this person & will leave it at that.

Without being too specific, is it worth rooting and ROMing at this point, or is it still worth waiting?

"no confirmatory information regarding the timing of release, the version number, etc. is going to be released to users at this point for a variety of reasons"

This hints at the possibility that the update is not yet ready for prime time.

Franky_V

Jul 20, 2010
The big question, is whether it will be 4.1.2 (which added multiview to the international s3) or 4.1.1 (which doesn't have it)

Sent from my Galaxy S III

randun

Oct 6, 2009
Hillsborough
www.linkedin.com
Without being too specific, is it worth rooting and ROMing at this point, or is it still worth waiting?

"no confirmatory information regarding the timing of release, the version number, etc. is going to be released to users at this point for a variety of reasons"

This hints at the possibility that the update is not yet ready for prime time.

I'm waiting myself as I'm one of those types that fit in the category of if it might go wrong, it definitely will. :laugh:

As for 'not ready for prime time" there's enough chatter out there now & I think that we've all learned from this very informational dialogue, that there will be no fact-based answer regarding release timing, version number, etc. until we receive that text message from AT&T that says GO!

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
I just spoke with my anonymous source who for reasons of protecting my relationship with them & vice-versa, I can say no more. The bottom line is no confirmatory information regarding the timing of release, the version number, etc. is going to be released to users at this point for a variety of reasons. Thus, I'm going to sit back & cool my jets & just wait as any specific answers being provided to us, or anyone else, are simply not sanctioned. I can assure that I'm not 'blowing smoke' as I have the utmost respect for this person & will leave it at that.

Att customer service representatives usually don't know about updates till the day of (or even after).

So "not released to users" is not actually that. Att doesn't tell their own employees till the last minute.

Your friends comment is also most likely not inside information but he knows he won't know till its released.. Just like us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York
I'm waiting myself as I'm one of those types that fit in the category of if it might go wrong, it definitely will. :laugh:

As for 'not ready for prime time" there's enough chatter out there now & I think that we've all learned from this very informational dialogue, that there will be no fact-based answer regarding release timing, version number, etc. until we receive that text message from AT&T that says GO!

I nearly pulled the trigger on a Nexus 4 the other day to cross AT&T and the manufacturer out of the update equation, but....no LTE! :(

I'll give AT&T credit for acknowledging the update on their website. However, I don't buy into the "very near future" bit. I've rooted and ROMed phones in the past, but only out of necessity. Unfortunately, with AT&T being involved, it's becoming a necessity once again. Fortunately, the Canadian SGH-I747M model will be receiving Jellybean starting December 3. From what I understand, it's nearly identical to our model. At least we'll have a stable custom ROM within a few days of release!

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
I nearly pulled the trigger on a Nexus 4 the other day to cross AT&T and the manufacturer out of the update equation, but....no LTE! :(

I'll give AT&T credit for acknowledging the update on their website. However, I don't buy into the "very near future" bit. I've rooted and ROMed phones in the past, but only out of necessity. Unfortunately, with AT&T being involved, it's becoming a necessity once again. Fortunately, the Canadian SGH-I747M model will be receiving Jellybean starting December 3. From what I understand, it's nearly identical to our model. At least we'll have a stable custom ROM within a few days of release!

I was about to do this as well but then freak in nexus 4 has a 5 week wait

sent from my Nexus 7 while my SGS3 rests!

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Samsung just posted that Jelly Bean is rolling out Monday to our Canadians neighbors to the north. That is some BS! They torture us with Celine Dion & Justin Beiber and then are rewarded by Samsung with an earlier release of JB than the US users. :silly:

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York
I was about to do this as well but then freak in nexus 4 has a 5 week wait

Which means that it'll arrive before AT&T releases Jellybean! :laugh:

Samsung just posted that Jelly Bean is rolling out Monday to our Canadians neighbors to the north. That is some BS! They torture us with Celine Dion & Justin Beiber and then are rewarded by Samsung with an earlier release of JB than the US users. :silly:

This is a good thing. As I've mentioned earlier, this phone is nearly identical to ours, so we'll have a stable custom ROM in a few days!

Which is so weird who wants the 8gb?

LG probably didn't manufacture too many of them for this exact reason. This explains the longer lead time.

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
Which means that it'll arrive before AT&T releases Jellybean! :laugh:

This is a good thing. As I've mentioned earlier, this phone is nearly identical to ours, so we'll have a stable custom ROM in a few days!

LG probably didn't manufacture too many of them for this exact reason. This explains the longer lead time.

Let me tell you if were into the second week of December and no update I'm going nexus 4

GalaxyMaster

Nov 23, 2011
Hmmmm whats this I found , these are not the people who will have answers, these are the people who make things happen. :D

lets all email, call and fax , and feel free to call and ask for the other officers listed below and harass them as well.

Randall Stephenson, AT&T CEO
rs2982@att.com (direct)
randall.stephenson@att.com
phone: 210-351-5401 (direct to his secretary)
fax 210-351-3553
alternate phone: 210-821-4105 (headquarters, press 3, ask for Mr. Stephenson’s office)
175 E. Houston
San Antonio, TX 78205

Attachments

• ceo1.PNG
    ceo1.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 356

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
The problem is the nexus 4 is having some serious issues, rattling, Google now connectivity issues. Connectivity issues with att hspa+ Google play issues , screen colors washed out etc so this is what's scaring me more so than updates being delayed

randun

Oct 6, 2009
Hillsborough
www.linkedin.com
Hmmmm whats this I found , these are not the people who will have answers, these are the people who make things happen. :D

lets all email, call and fax , and feel free to call and ask for the other officers listed below and harass them as well.

Randall Stephenson, AT&T CEO
rs2982@att.com (direct)
randall.stephenson@att.com
phone: 210-351-5401 (direct to his secretary)
fax 210-351-3553
alternate phone: 210-821-4105 (headquarters, press 3, ask for Mr. Stephenson’s office)
175 E. Houston
San Antonio, TX 78205

Thanks for the info.

I would agree with this tactic under different circumstances but I'd be wary of going down that road regarding the update issues at this point. Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

GalaxyMaster

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for the info.

I would agree with this tactic under different circumstances but I'd be wary of going down that road regarding the update issues at this point. Just my 2 cents...

I cant turn around now , I have already filed a complaint with the prosecutors office where I reside and the F.T.C. against Samsung for bait and switch tactics, AT&T is also listed in the complaint.:cyclops: I will likely have android 5.0 on my gs3 before I see any results but I will keep you all informed.

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
I cant turn around now , I have already filed a complaint with the prosecutors office where I reside and the F.T.C. against Samsung for bait and switch tactics, AT&T is also listed in the complaint.:cyclops: I will likely have android 5.0 on my gs3 before I see any results but I will keep you all informed.

You have mental issues my man

randun

Oct 6, 2009
Hillsborough
www.linkedin.com

Good luck but I very respectfully disagree with your actions. Please do understand that this is my own opinion but I feel strongly that you don't have sufficient evidence or discovery that could be effectively used against any governing body and/or company.

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012

this can't be serious, can it? what exactly about buying a phone advertised to have ICS, and receiving it running ICS, is "bait and switch"? were you promised an update date by Samsung or AT&T when the phone was purchased?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.1.1 is out and, contrary to what Samsung said, the update is available on Kies and OTA! Yes, OTA is here!

Congrats to Corey_r and longcat14 for winning the pool. No one else even had a chance, haha. :)

To enter and/or view the Release Date Pool, check the 2nd post.

"One thread to rule them all..."

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.

Official release date from Samsung: "Coming Soon!"
    (last checked on 11/30; source)

Official release date from AT&T: "...very near future."
    (last checked on 11/30; source; thanks, Randun)

Anonymous Source: Samsung's AT&T GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials started in May and have been completed; we're just waiting on AT&T. The ROM should be in its final stages of testing soon.

Jelly Bean Version: Most likely 4.1 Before 11/28, chatter from multiple official AT&T sources stated 4.2 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) However, then AT&T quietly released the above Support Article, which stated 4.1.The Support Article is the most concrete evidence we have, so it will probably be Jelly Bean 4.1. :)

Confirmed Jelly Bean TouchWiz features:

Camera
    • New camera/camcorder filters: warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights(blue, green, red/yellow), and many more.
    • Pause and resume recording
    • Low light mode (uses HDR)
    Phone-wide
    • Pop Up Play can be resized and paused
    • Introduction of Easy Mode: large Easy widgets (for first-time smartphone users)
    • Introduction of Blocking Mode: disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms, and LED indicators for a designated period of time
    • Introduction of Swype® Keyboard (bundled)
    • AllShare® Cast Wireless Hub support
    • NFC One Touch Pairing Support: pair a supported Bluetooth device via NFC
    (source)
    Complete noob.. I finally got kies to connect to my phone, but now it keeps asking me upgrade Kies to the latest version and then upgrade firmware. Once I click the Update Kies button right next to it, it immediately says the latest version is installed. After I do this, it doesnt seem anything has changed and it tells me the current firmware version is android 4.0.4. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a different way for me to update since ive never rooted or messed with stock settings? thanks

So i was able to update my rooted stock ICS phone to the JB but i lost root. Im tempted to try rooting again via odin but worried of messing up my phone.

Could flash stock rooted image here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426
    Maybe if I shove a actual jellybean in my usb port my phone will update itself.

This seems to be a thread for ranting and wild speculation than what the OP has intended. Maybe we should get back on topic before a mod is needed...

Idk why you guys are hassling ATT about the release date. The only people who would know best would be the programmers at Samsung...Just my two cents

Sent from my Galaxy S III

From OP

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.
    Yeah, but unfortunately, we're under a contract to pay AT&T for service. They aren't under a contract to provide updates to our phones unless they are essential to maintaining daily function of the device. This is why carriers shouldn't be determining if/when android updates are released. There is no value added to any tweaks that AT&T makes on the devices.