[Kernel] [2.6.34/2.6.35] OCed - UVed: -1.113Ghz

Search This thread

Know-Fear

Jan 9, 2010
I think the point is that history on this forum has shown that users that damage and brick their phones due to irresponsible changes do not take responsibility for their own actions. When users bricked their phones the majority did not go "Eh, I knew the risks. Guess it is time to buy another phone." Instead they went to some lengths to hide that they caused the original failure, usually by damaging it further such that the original problem could not be detected. If this were not the case I doubt there would be even the slightest objection to overclocking or any other modification.

Put another way the members of the forum have shown a lack of willingness to be accountable for their own actions. Based on this tendency, actions that can cause damage more easily can be deemed objectionable because it makes support more expensive for HTC and as a consequence harder for end users to get support for changes that are unlikely to cause hardware damage (such as Cyanogen's ROM).

That is exactly what I was getting at. You just said it more eloquently. :)

amwayorlando

Feb 4, 2010
I've got my phone through a friend in the US and I live in China. So neither HTC's or Google's customer service is not available to me. I'm not saying I'm not worried about frying my phone. But all I know is that I have to be responsible for anything I do to this phone since I don't have any warranty coverage for this phone. But out of curiosity, I've installed Cyanogen's ROM and also this OC hack. Everything works great for me so far. Gotta thanks those great DEVs for their hard work.

I've just reverted back from the OC simply cuz I didn't really feel any change in terms of performance. I mean I did get a higher score in Pi benchmark. But rather than that, I didn't really feel any difference in running normal apps.

One more thing, I've noticed that with the OC, my battery temp reading is really low, usually stays around 20-30 degrees. But I can feel that my battery was hotter especially when charging. After reverting back from the OC, my battery reading went up to 30-40 degrees again.

Just wondering: does the OC hide real battery temp? or it makes the battery run cooler? (I doubt the latter though)

djnutz

Jan 9, 2008
My thought is that once you unlock your phone and read the disclaimer you accept you're no longer covered by warranty - and you lose your right to just that. Shouldn't be an issue for HTC at all really.

Thank you for offering this to people who are willing to accept the risk. In addition, thank you for noting such risk in the OP along with what testing you've done.

Last edited:

cyanogen

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
Yet I perfectly know well that I will go and buy another one. I know when I am messing around with the inner workings of this phone I am pretty much risking it anyways. Hell when I rooted this phone I gave up my chance at crying uncle and getting help. If people can't realize that then why do the modders and creaters and developers need to worry? Yea there are stupid people on this forum and quite honestly shouldn't have registered an account in the first place.

I think what swetland needs to realize, is that this is the wrong place to preach advocacy and care. Every time I flash a ROM I can say that the phone might end up bricking. I am prepared to accept that, throw the phone in the trash if it can't be saved, and move on. The people that complain and cry shouldn't be here in the first place.

Do what you want.. I'm just saying (and I think Brian is saying as well) is that people who are making easily installable custom system images should exercise some restraint. Overclocking should be an "advanced level" mod, IMHO. A lot of people are still new to this and get "ooh shiny" about this stuff without knowing the facts. The Droid overclocking mess on Alldroid is the perfect example of this.

I'm not gonna say I haven't done bad things to hardware and returned it. I bricked a G1 which was a replacement for an actual warranty claim (I returned it as DOA after doing DangerSPL wrong) so I'm just a big hyprocrite here really. But then I learned that I don't want to put anyone else in that situation. Hopefully nobody at T-Mobile is reading this :)

Let's try to play (at least sort of) nice with this crazy industry. At least we are finally making progress. "fastboot oem unlock" was a huge step, it means they are interested in us instead of just shutting us off. Write code, contribute to these projects, let them know that these are the reasons why so many of us are crazy about it. We are making THEM money while sneaking in the back door :cool: /subversive

Last edited:

cyanogen

Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
My thought is that once you unlock your phone and read the disclaimer you accept you're no longer covered by warranty - and you lose your right to just that. Shouldn't be an issue for HTC at all really.

Thank you for offering this to people who are willing to accept the risk. In addition, thank you for noting such risk in the OP along with what testing you've done.

Yeah with the N1 it is a moot point right now. We can't actually return the device to a factory state, so you are screwed anyway. Once you are past the bootloader, barring any actual manufacturing defects like dust under the screen, you are in warranty=void territory.

m3manny

Jan 8, 2010
UNION CITY NJ
1.113Ghz and Cooked Worked Beautifully ,Ha Fasssssssssssssssst

Didi and worked ,ha
cooking at 1.113Ghz Screw the Warranty i will just Buy Another if it fries , Let it Fry Let it Fry , Where is the Excitement if you cant take a risk dont do it

wdelisi

Jul 12, 2007
Honestly, I am with cyan. I have returned things on DOA but much in the past. I feel like I am very responsible now, and I very much enjoy additions to the community like this. It took me two secs to try it, and I see the benefits already. I have INSURANCE on my handset like any 'eligible' responsible tinker, so I know that if worse comes to worst, I will be ok.

My advice, if you are not even familiar on how you would apply this to your handset and have even one question... Perhaps it is not for you... If it is and safe, perhaps cyan or enom will put it in their roms. You have to trust their judgements, and not the many random posters on this forum.

That's my only word of caution :)

Thank you persiansown :)

cyanogen

Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
I've got my phone through a friend in the US and I live in China. So neither HTC's or Google's customer service is not available to me. I'm not saying I'm not worried about frying my phone. But all I know is that I have to be responsible for anything I do to this phone since I don't have any warranty coverage for this phone. But out of curiosity, I've installed Cyanogen's ROM and also this OC hack. Everything works great for me so far. Gotta thanks those great DEVs for their hard work.

I've just reverted back from the OC simply cuz I didn't really feel any change in terms of performance. I mean I did get a higher score in Pi benchmark. But rather than that, I didn't really feel any difference in running normal apps.

One more thing, I've noticed that with the OC, my battery temp reading is really low, usually stays around 20-30 degrees. But I can feel that my battery was hotter especially when charging. After reverting back from the OC, my battery reading went up to 30-40 degrees again.

Just wondering: does the OC hide real battery temp? or it makes the battery run cooler? (I doubt the latter though)

Well, you can triple your score in Benchmark Pi by building Dalvik with JIT. Sadly the code is unstable right now and causes lots of crashes (and I think future efforts have gone into this "Dalvik Turbo" thing we keep hearing about). Optimize the top levels before getting into the guts, I guess.

Totally off-topic now, sorry.

Last edited:

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Let's try to play (at least sort of) nice with this crazy industry. At least we are finally making progress. "fastboot oem unlock" was a huge step, it means they are interested in us instead of just shutting us off.

i think that a huge step is an understatement. look at all the time, effort, money that apple is putting into stopping hackers/jailbreaking. the fact that HTC/Google is recognizing us, showing a willingness to appease and work with us is monumental. the more we play nice with them now, the more they could possibly play nice with us in the future.

btw, im only noticing a difference with the OCed kernal in one app, the Water Ripples app. its able to produce more waves with a smoother rendering. slightly but noticable. other than that. i cant really tell a difference.

*EDIT*
its getting really hot while charging, time to go back :)

Last edited:

djnutz

Jan 9, 2008
Well I agree with Davik Turbo, and neon floating point optimization, along with other things improving but when it comes down to it I fully accept the risks that come with having "choice".

Gimpeh

Feb 25, 2009
Springfield
Well, you can triple your score in Benchmark Pi by building Dalvik with JIT. Sadly the code is unstable right now and causes lots of crashes (and I think future efforts have gone into this "Dalvik Turbo" thing we keep hearing about). Optimize the top levels before getting into the guts, I guess.

Totally off-topic now, sorry.

Not totally off topic since were speaking of optimization. MWC is going on now and still waiting on hearing more about this Dalvik Turbo. This could be HUGE!

erinata

Jun 18, 2009
It works great. But I usually run my phone at 784mhz............

another question is can we lower the voltage a little bit so the phone is still stable? It seems that I need more battery life than faster speed.

aniteshj

Jul 16, 2009
Edmonton
A fair warning that this gets super hot when charging while at full speed. I do recommended going to setcpu and lowering the clock speed to prevent hot batteries. Otherwise its been smooth running.so far. Kills battery but oh well

djnutz

Jan 9, 2008
Battery only got warm for me when using the phone while charging. If I just let it charge I didn't have to enable profiles. Granted, last night was the first time I charged it so this isn't definitive.

DocRambone

Jan 7, 2010
Stockholm
I use these settings and have better battery time now than at stockspeed and no overheating issues at charging:

sl18nd.png

Top Liked Posts