Charger won't fit while in Silicone case

Search This thread

BooR4dley

Mar 8, 2011
Got my 900 Yesterday and realized his morning that the charge cable had popped out overnight. Upon inspection I discovered that the shape of the hole in the Silicone cover I received (AT&T is giving away $100 of accessories in Illinois on top of everything else, WOOT!) is not the same as the shape of the micro-USB cable that came with the phone. I thought it was a genuine Nokia case, I don't have the box because the were kind enough to dispose of it.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this? The charge cable is fairly oval shaped while the hole in the case is more of a basic trapezoid /__\.

Has anyone else run into this or do your hole and cable shape match up, if so are you matched oval or trapezoid?

Pem3108

Sep 1, 2010
New York
you know my car charger won't fit and I have a Samsung Micro-USB cable that I use to plug it into my computer and that one is super lose. But then I use some third party no name micro-USB cable that I use to charge and that one fits perfectly fine. Have you tried the actual cable that came with the phone? Usually those Nokia cables are high quality.

BooR4dley

Mar 8, 2011
Yeah, it's the stock cable that came with the phone that won't fit. It's quite secure without the case on, but pops off when using the case due to the difference in hole shape.

cx1

Aug 14, 2007
If Nokia would have centered the usb port it would be less an issue. Very annoying to me as well so I took the dremel to the case. The case is so tight I don't want to have to remove it constantly.

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Yeah, I noted this in my review of the L900. I am tempted to carve out part of the gel case, but it would probably be noticeable from the front of the phone. They should have centered the micro-USB socket on the top of the phone.

The one thing I miss from my Surround is the indicator light. Not for missed calls (I don't get many). But liked knowing the phone was charging/charged. Now I have to power on to be sure the cable didn't move.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

milk242

Jun 8, 2010
The rocketfish micro USB data cable will for sure work and latch on and some other rocketfish micro USB products (such as the car charger). I had the same problem with all my existing micro USB cables and I stopped by best buy and plugged in all of their micro USB cables into my phone with the gel case to see which ones would work.

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Some of the cases have square cut out and some are oval in the same packaging.
Mine is oval, and while the plug goes in fine it does not seat flat to the phone. So it's up 1/16" and that could be enough for ot to wobble out if you touch the phone while charging.

I walk around the house with a short 8" USB cable and portable USB charger. Nokia has popped out a few times. Surround never did.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

AITT

Sep 1, 2010
Longhorns Texas
Ditto here. Same problem. USB stays secured enough though. I have a Samsung USB that's a little thinner and fits better more secure. Not completely a nuisance though.