[ROM] [r02 - 2015-12-13] Flashcast-AutoRoot

Search This thread

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
No change with 90308 firmware?

Laying bets here . . . It will never change. Google can and will win this game. Not that it thrills me, it's simple reality.

Use your CC for general network utility (IoT gateway is my current favorite 'hack') plus whatever Eureka can do; buy something else; or go back to stock.

Most folks should just head back to stock and get a device usable for its intended purpose.

JMT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Srandista

Sep 19, 2010
Brno
Laying bets here . . . It will never change. Google can and will win this game. Not that it thrills me, it's simple reality.

Use your CC for general network utility (IoT gateway is my current favorite 'hack') plus whatever Eureka can do; buy something else; or go back to stock.

Most folks should just head back to stock and get a device usable for its intended purpose.

JMT.
As I said previously, I already went back to stock on one om my CC, second is on EurekaROM, so it will stay rooted no matter what. I'm just curious, but as @ddggttff3 mentioned previously, without new source code it probably won't be doable bypass new security measures. But Google is pretty late to release it, still no new release since 1.22.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3j4zj2IQp7MZkplRzRvcERtaU0

Mad07

Sep 30, 2009
I can agree this one:
Still waiting for an announcement, that nothing will be done in future or for a further fix (hopefully the last one)

aikhome

Aug 9, 2008
Canberra
It's probably been answered.... I flashed this thing into my CC with Eureka 27946.002, how do I flash " any official Google OTA sent to your device" in practice? At the moment CC boots into Eureka with Web interface, does this mean that /cache/install.sh did not do the job even though it reported "AutoRoot-Recovery: Process Complete! Cleaning and rebooting..."?

upd: tried again:
[aik@aik ~]$ ssh root@aikcast
/usr/bin/X11/xauth: not found
# busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
Connecting to pdl.team-eureka.com (95.170.82.169:80)
install.sh 100% |*******************************************************************************************| 3381 0:00:00 ETA
# busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
# /cache/install.sh
AutoRoot-Recovery: Running AutoRoot-Recovery Installer!
AutoRoot-Recovery: Downloading now...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Recovery Downloaded Successfully!
AutoRoot-Recovery: Verifiying Recovery...
AutoRoot-Recovery: File Verified Successfully!
AutoRoot-Recovery: Downloading Google OTA...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Verifying Google OTA...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Google OTA Verified! Moving file...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Flashing Recovery...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Process Complete! Cleaning and rebooting...
packet_write_wait: Connection to 192.168.10.130 port 22: Broken pipe

It rebooted and web interface reports "Build Version: 27946.002 (06/04/2015)". Where did that OTA go to then?

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
WARNING: I know almost nothing about the Chromecast, but I have extensive experience with porting Android ROMs.

It seems like the old bootloader you are using does not verify the signature of the boot.img, since you are able to use a custom recovery.

Shouldn't it just be possible to take the new boot.img and remove the verity stuff from fstab and the verity_key, then flash it? It might even make more sense to use a "systemless root" with bind mounts for telnetd over /system/xbin

They finally uploaded 1.26 source code too https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3j4zj2IQp7MZkplRzRvcERtaU0

The old bootloader worked because the old Boot.img didn't bother to check the validity of the system.img.
And the Rooting was done via modifying the system.img.
New boot checks to see that the system.img is from Google...So until some source can be found to modify the new boot.img not much progress is likely.

TheKyro

Feb 12, 2011
Hi, yesterdsay I decided to upgrade my chromecast v1 from "44433.001 [2015-11-15]" to "[ROM] [r02 - 2015-12-13] Flashcast-AutoRoot"

but now I am stuck with a red light
the content of flashcast.log (after having ssh'd with root:letmein credential) is:

Reading recovery parameters
SETUP FAILED: Unsupported Mode! This version of Flashcast can only be ran from the recovery parition of the Chromecast.

any idea what I can do here (I'm ready to revert to full stock) ?

Thanks

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Hi, yesterdsay I decided to upgrade my chromecast v1 from "44433.001 [2015-11-15]" to "[ROM] [r02 - 2015-12-13] Flashcast-AutoRoot"

but now I am stuck with a red light
any idea what I can do here (I'm ready to revert to full stock) ?
Reflash Eureka ROM then (re-)read the initial post and the last few pages detailing what has changed that makes this not work directly anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

theronkinator

Apr 16, 2011
Gonna unroot mine I think, looks like nothing is coming to sort this. Done, unrooted and back on 22062 and waiting for it to update, spent ages looking for my Teensy and didn't even need it. All sorted and updated, forced the update with the below in powershell (as I didn't want to start installing Git/Bash), now on 1.26.92486

Invoke-WebRequest -Method Post -ContentType "application/json" -Body '{"params": "ota foreground"}' -Uri "http://<chromecast-ip-address>:8008/setup/reboot" -Verbose -UserAgent "curl"

Last edited:

chaos719

Nov 4, 2014
I ssh logged in and did entered in the text and it said it updated. When the cc rebooted said it was ver. 1.17. Since its currently a even higher version I let the cc reboot again during this boot I saw the eureka notification that it was updating but when it finished it just read Chromecast on the screen and stayed there. Light was white on the cc. Did I miss something or is mine just a brick now. I'd rather not buy another one but it's cyber week and I could get a v2 for $20 everywhere

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I ssh logged in and did entered in the text and it said it updated. When the cc rebooted said it was ver. 1.17. Since its currently a even higher version I let the cc reboot again during this boot I saw the eureka notification that it was updating but when it finished it just read Chromecast on the screen and stayed there. Light was white on the cc. Did I miss something or is mine just a brick now. I'd rather not buy another one but it's cyber week and I could get a v2 for $20 everywhere
Partition changes made autoroot no longer work on current firmware.
There were a few folks who got intermediate versions to work, but not sure if anyone took charge to see about getting it to continue working.

Reactions: kozmo2k4

enboig

Nov 12, 2012
Reflash Eureka ROM then (re-)read the initial post and the last few pages detailing what has changed that makes this not work directly anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Same problem. I tried to update, but it stuck al "Chromecast..." (for 6 hours). I tried to reflash eureka rom but after apearing the flashcast it screen went dark and red light on chromecast. I rebooted and now my options are:
- Normal boot shows "Chromecast..." forever
- Trying to reflash shows dark screen (with some grey pixels) on screen and red light on chromecast.

What can I try?

WuNgUn

Aug 5, 2015
Flashed thru Juice using telnet... Success..
Downloaded Google OTA... Rebooted, saw Chrome spinning logo, rebooted again with Eureka logo and updating... Had white LED. Took about 5 minutes then rebooted again.
Now I have Chromecast... Logo in white and that's it! Did I kill my CC??

morchu

Mar 13, 2009
Anyone knows the sha1sum of the OTA version: 84838 ?
Or if anyone knows the exact google OTA link for that version of file please do send it.

something like.......
http://redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/googletv-eureka/stable-channel/ota.84838.stable-channel.eureka-b3.<FILL_THE_BLANKS_HERE>.zip
or
http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/googletv-eureka/stable-channel/ota.84838.stable-channel.eureka-b3.<FILL_THE_BLANKS_HERE>.zip

morchu

Mar 13, 2009
It does not seem like any nand layout changes were made.

By the way, if anyone experimenting with compling kernel or re-packing boot images, isn't it a lot easier to flash flashcastrecovery to mtd@kernel and your experimental kernel to mtd@recovery, so that you check your experiments via "reboot recovery"? And once you got screwed with your experment kernel let it boot normal to your flashcast in mtd, without using usb. Probably can avoid the hassle of using usb-boots, when you may have to get to flashcast recovery boot many times during the process.

I am yet to try that because I am not sure whether there is any restrictions put by bootloader before booting regular boot image making it impossible to flash recovery from regular boot.

Partition changes made autoroot no longer work on current firmware.

Last edited:

gdude

Apr 21, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Stuck on "Chromecast..." [SOLVED]

My Chromecast updated after the Autoroot and I got stuck at the "Chromecast..." screen. No luck using Flashcash or Hubcap, even when I dragged out my old Teensy 2.0 and tried at least a dozen times to get it to take. I was close to giving up and assuming my Chromecast was cooked.

Then I tried a long-shot idea described elsewhere on this thread: power up and down fast many times, and eventually I got into recovery with the Flashcast logo on screen. I was able to ssh into the recovery partition, and then manually load up the stock Google image by using scp to copy each of the 3 image files to /tmp and flash them manually using:

flash_mtd_partition 'rootfs' ./system.img
flash_mtd_partition 'kernel' ./boot.img
flash_mtd_partition 'recovery' ./recovery.img
clear_data

It need to take an update from Google and reboot before being fully functional.
It's back to a stock unrooted Chromecast, but at least it works.

Reactions: HcNguyen111

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is it?

This is my final gift to the Chromecast community, called Flashcast-AutoRoot. This is a special recovery image for the Chomecast v1 device that will allow it to take official Google OTA's, and then root them during the flashing process. This means you get to keep root, while staying up to date with Google images!

Features:

• Auto roots any official Google OTA sent to your device
    • Supports automatic Recovery Image updates
    • Spawns a root telnet server
    • Supports a custom startup script
    • DHCP and Custom DNS
    Q and A:

Q: How do I setup a custom startup script?

A: Just write your script to a file at /data/user_boot_script.sh, and set the executable bit for the file. Once done, it will be loaded on next boot.

Q: How do I setup custom DNS servers?

A: Put the IP addresses of the DNS servers in a file at /data/dns.conf, one per line. On next boot these will be used for DNS requests. Note if you are coming from EurekaROM, it will already have your old settings in place. :)

Q: How do I setup the EurekaROM Web Panel?

A: By default this ROM has no Web Panel, but this can be added by bootstrapping onto the custom startup script, but I will leave this up to you. ;)

Q: Can Google unroot my device in the future?

A: Technically yes, but they would have a hard time doing so. To get technical, the bootloader partition can't be updated from the stock OS due to the kernel hard-setting it to "ro". While the recovery image can be flashed from the OS, the root process replaces the included recovery image with it's self to prevent any update. The recovery is also unable to update the bootloader partition, so you should always be able to re-flash using a OTG cable. With that said, I have also put in an update method so I can push updates to the recovery image if needed, but at this time I have no plans on doing so unless required, so use this image at your own risk.

Installation:
    To install this, all you need to do is SSH/Telnet into an already rooted Chromecast, and run the following commands:
    Code:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
    busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
    /cache/install.sh
    Note:
    If this is ran on a different ROM than Eureka-ROM there may be an error when ran, but rest assured the flashing process will still work. :)

GPL/Source:
    https://github.com/team-eureka/flashcast-flasher/tree/newmode-alpha
    I will take a look into this over the next day or so and see if I can get a fix out, or find a way around the issue.

EDIT: I believe I found a method to fix this, will update if/when the fix is deployed.

EDIT2: Sadly I was unable to find a way to fix this, it looks like the new bootloader uses a new kernel layout, or has some check in the kernel and not initramfs preventing boot :( Until a GPL is out for release 1.23 I can't verify this or really dig for any potential workaround.
    Deleting, I think you already provided it with the boot.img from 1.22 if I understood correctly. Thanks

ZaneChua, updated using the modded 1.23 with 1.22 Kernel. It worked, it is now on the 80438 version.
    Let´s hope the next update won´t mess with it again. Until then we have to wait.
    Just to clarify. I started with the Hubcap Eureka and then I took the risk and entered the commands only, no script no factory reset.
    Now it is easy to copy and paste to the telnet terminal.
    I will leave the file that I used in my server for a day so users can install. It is a small hosting plan so not that much bandwidth available.
    *** Remember, I did that and it worked, but I'm not responsible for any damage this can make to your CC ****
    An thanks to ZaneChua for finding the 1.22 Kernel (boot.img)
    Copy and Paste in you telnet:

Code:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/releases/autoroot-recovery-r02.img -O /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    busybox wget http://mcpdigital.com/android/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip -O /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip
    busybox cp /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip /cache/ota.zip
    flash_image --scan-all recovery /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    // *** WAIT FOR 5 SECONDS 
    reboot recovery
    Update: Did the same procedure in other 2 CCs.
    So now I went from stuck at Chromecast.... straight to the update:
    Step1: create a HubCap Eureka USB from image
    Step2: install the HubCap (OTG+USB, Reset Button, and Power) * no need to root CC again so it is like the second step of the original Eureka.
    Step3: wait until it updates itself from 17977 to 44333 , it shouldnt take long
    Step4: telnet your CC and run the busybox commands as showed by ZaneChua
    Step5: enjoy

MCP
    Just so it doesn't affect you mcpdigital.

I made a hosted version.

To install this, all you need to do is SSH/Telnet into an already rooted Chromecast, and run the following commands:
    Code:
    busybox wget http://chromecastfix.centralus.cloudapp.azure.com/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
    busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
    /cache/install.sh
    That looks like it comes from Eureka and not Google....
    Is it as simple as maybe Eureka just got a bad copy of the firmware?
    Or have you tried that already?

Did you see the link? It's from Google. Not Eureka. The chromecast device codename is eureka.

Following adammw's suggestion.

He didn't really give instructions or anything to help you do this though. Something in the boot.img has changed and therefore breaks autoroot. I decided to use the boot.img from 1.22.80438 to replace the original one in 1.23.84839.

You need to reinstall eureka rom and be on a clean installation of eureka rom. Means you need to do a factory reset before you try any of the steps below.

You can find the new OTA from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3jenDHaF8AJMFZMbHVMNmFyeFE
    The script is slightly changed to : https://gist.github.com/zanechua/672f741de2add4186e59dd1973663305

You still need to modify the script, host it on your own http server and modify the script accordingly.

You could however do it manually but this may/may not break your chromecast. I'm not at fault here if you do.

I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY TESTED THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS. THESE COMMANDS ARE FOR EXPERTS ONLY. IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THESE COMMANDS DO, DO NOT DO IT. THIS CIRCUMVENTS A LOT OF CHECKS IN THE SCRIPT.

The commands would be:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/releases/autoroot-recovery-r02.img -O /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    busybox wget http://fromsomewhere/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip -O /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip
    busybox cp /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip /cache/ota.zip
    flash_image --scan-all recovery /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    (Wait 5 seconds after flashing of the recovery)
    reboot