[ACS] [HOW TO] Root, Flash Roms/Kernels/Themes, CWM, and update! (67 videos) 8/7/11

Search This thread

dcunited001

Mar 21, 2012
Heimdall/Ubuntu/Epic

Hi, I have an Epic 4G and I am just not getting heimdall to recognize my device at all. I have a mac, which is apparently not able to talk to my EPIC via USB. And I have an Ubuntu laptop, which can, but not in download mode. I do not have windows, I removed windows from my laptop.

`adb devices` only recognizes my phone when it's in usb debug mode and not in download mode. `heimdall devices` returns 'failed to detect compatible download-mode device.

this is very frustrating because all i need to freaking do is root my device. everything else seems simple. but these $@#^ing phone companies need to step off and realize that i bought this hardware - it is mine and i should be able to do whatever i please. even if it means removing their stupid NASCAR app. really? a @$#^ing nascar app.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Hi, I have an Epic 4G and I am just not getting heimdall to recognize my device at all. I have a mac, which is apparently not able to talk to my EPIC via USB. And I have an Ubuntu laptop, which can, but not in download mode. I do not have windows, I removed windows from my laptop.

`adb devices` only recognizes my phone when it's in usb debug mode and not in download mode. `heimdall devices` returns 'failed to detect compatible download-mode device.

this is very frustrating because all i need to freaking do is root my device. everything else seems simple. but these $@#^ing phone companies need to step off and realize that i bought this hardware - it is mine and i should be able to do whatever i please. even if it means removing their stupid NASCAR app. really? a @$#^ing nascar app.

To get Heimdall working check out post 2 in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1052813

Then you would have to adapt it to install the kernel to allow root.

swiftstrike763

Dec 30, 2011
Hey guys I just rooted my Epic and I was looking through all the stuff on here and was wondering if it was all up to date and still compatible with my Epic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Hey guys I just rooted my Epic and I was looking through all the stuff on here and was wondering if it was all up to date and still compatible with my Epic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, qbking77 has not updated this thread in awhile. His latest videos can be found directly on youtube by googling what you are looking for, for instance How to root the Samsung Epic on EL30. He also has a channel on youtube with a list of all his vids. He is just so busy doing so many vids for so many phones (how does he do it?) that I imagine keeping up with all the threads would be quite difficult.

Reactions: qbking77

swiftstrike763

Dec 30, 2011
Oh I see that makes perfect sense and yes now that I think about it all (at least most) the videos I watched on messing with my phone were his from what I remember. But thanks for the info I'm gonna check out his YouTube channel now :D

Take care.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

wolfen1086

Apr 12, 2011
Rich square
qbking77 I have only one thing to say abut you. You are a demigod of Samsung phones :) All I have right now is root access with the stock Samsung OS, with of course a couple of bloatwares removed, but I'm really thinking of installing the same stuff you guys here have and these videos are user friendly even for a person lie me who still knows what a stamp is

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
qbking77 I have only one thing to say abut you. You are a demigod of Samsung phones :) All I have right now is root access with the stock Samsung OS, with of course a couple of bloatwares removed, but I'm really thinking of installing the same stuff you guys here have and these videos are user friendly even for a person lie me who still knows what a stamp is

This is why qbking77 is the single most important person to this community... if my niece can root and flash roms on her phone by just watching his videos anybody can... keep in mind this is the girl who still can't figure out the guide on the cable box! Lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

TONYSALEM78

Oct 5, 2010
Detroit
These helped me A LOT.. Glad these are all in one section.
qbking77 glad you do your videos. Couldn't do some things without em.
Also about to watch some vids of yours to pimp out the old ladys Nexus S 4g

Last edited:
May 19, 2012
updating to Legendary Rom MTD?

I was wondering if it's possible to update from Legendary Rom 2.2 to MTD with all my apps. I updated and all my apps are gone. I have a back up but how do I go about updating to MTD with all my apps? :(
Any help would be appreciated!

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I was wondering if it's possible to update from Legendary Rom 2.2 to MTD with all my apps. I updated and all my apps are gone. I have a back up but how do I go about updating to MTD with all my apps? :(

Either back up and restore with Titanium Backup, or if you can edit a nandroid backup...backup up with 3 finger salute into cwm5, not ROM Manager. Open the backup and change all file names from rfs or ext4 in the name to yaffs2. Open nandroid.img with notepad and do the same in there search and replace all will work there. Then after installing MTD Legendary do an advanced restore data from cwm5 of that backup.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Reactions: brett701

brett701

Nov 12, 2007
Looking for some direction

I have samsung epic with sprint(w/ keyboard). How do i root and put ice cream sandwhich on my phone? A lot of the tutorials are very aged.

Thanks.

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
If you are rooted then just flash CWM 5.0.2.7 then flash the ICS ROM of choice. If you are not then Google how to root samsung epic on FC09 youtube video by qbking77. After you finish that flash ICS ROM of choice. There is no official ICS for the Epic, nor will there be.

brandon489

Jul 23, 2012
why to root

If you are contemplating whether or not you should root I would strongly suggest rooting. The reason I say that is Samsung and Google never plan to move the epic past gingerbread and if you have played around with ics yet you know how big of an upgrade it is. The only way to get ics and jb on your epic is going to be rooting and roms.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Either back up and restore with Titanium Backup, or if you can edit a nandroid backup...backup up with 3 finger salute into cwm5, not ROM Manager. Open the backup and change all file names from rfs or ext4 in the name to yaffs2. Open nandroid.img with notepad and do the same in there search and replace all will work there. Then after installing MTD Legendary do an advanced restore data from cwm5 of that backup.

I strongly suggest CM9. A great team of devs put it together and it is almost bug free. It is good stock, but there are a lot of custom kernel options out there to throw on top if you get bored.

lakers1fan

Apr 23, 2009
I rooted my phone with the help of your video, qbking but I have not flashed a ROM or whatever the correct phrase is because I'm scared I may mess up my phone. What is the safest ROM for a person who knows nothing about this? and is there an easy step by step guide or video to help walk me thru it?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Oh I have FF18 I believe. It is the one that is over ICS which you stated was the safest and could be flashed with any ROM, at least I think that's how you explained it

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I rooted my phone with the help of your video, qbking but I have not flashed a ROM or whatever the correct phrase is because I'm scared I may mess up my phone. What is the safest ROM for a person who knows nothing about this? and is there an easy step by step guide or video to help walk me thru it?

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Oh I have FF18 I believe. It is the one that is over ICS which you stated was the safest and could be flashed with any ROM, at least I think that's how you explained it

You are in the wrong forum. This is not the Epic Touch.

Big Bang Anarchy

Nov 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I feel the need to extend my eternal gratitude to qbking77. I follow his step-by-step videos religously when I'm considering flashing a new ROM or the sort.

Thanks, bro! Keep on doing what you do!

Monica.hidalgo

Feb 19, 2013
Dont mean to change the subject, but can anybody direct me to a clockwork compatible kernal

Sent from my SCH-R720 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts