[NEW][GUIDE][ICS/JB] How to Root/Unroot Your I9100G Via Stock Recovery

Search This thread

mhairy

Nov 6, 2011
Hmm...weird then...it works for most of us...then you'd have to try the method by Jiangyi on another thread...maybe Sammy changed some stuff...:\

Problem solve..:victory:

Method 2:

Advantages: No flash counter increase or yellow triangle.
Disadvantages: Temporary ClockworkMod Recovery. You must have an External SD Card!

Prerequisites: The CWM.zip and root.zip from this file: http://www.mediafire.com/?yh2ii6mbozz9243

Step 1: Put the CWM.zip onto your EXTERNAL SD Card and root.zip on external OR internal SD.
Step 2: Get into the stock recovery mode by pressing Home Button + Volume Up key + Power key while your phone is turned off.
Step 3: From there, select apply update from external storage, and select the CWM.zip.
Step 4: You should now be taken to CWM Touch Recovery, where you should select install zip from sdcard.
Step 5: Select choose zip from sdcard/internal sdcard, depending on where you put root.zip. (Your internal and external sdcard might have their locations switched with the other, so double-check!)
Step 6: Flash root.zip and reboot.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Re: [NEW][GUIDE][ICS] How to Root/Unroot Your I9100G Via Stock Recovery

Got my S2 today, going to charge it, and run it for just long enough to get the ICS ota.....then it's rootin' time...lol

BTW....which cusROM do you guys recommend? I'm currently running CM10 (unofficial) on my W....don't play many games 'cept temple run 1 & 2 and mine craft....just don't want all that bloat.....

Btw2.....is this rooting method safe for the non G variant of the S2?....

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kanivier

Apr 6, 2011
nairobi
www.facebook.com

Got my S2 today, going to charge it, and run it for just long enough to get the ICS ota.....then it's rootin' time...lol

BTW....which cusROM do you guys recommend? I'm currently running CM10 (unofficial) on my W....don't play many games 'cept temple run 1 & 2 and mine craft....just don't want all that bloat.....

Btw2.....is this rooting method safe for the non G variant of the S2?....

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I ain't sure if it's safe for non G but u can check out this list

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1648351

Or http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1501719

Last edited:

allenultra

Mar 10, 2010
Ipoh, Malaysia
I have followed the guide posted on the first page but somehow i'm not able to enter into recovery mode.
I have flashed into ICS stock ROM and followed the procedure.

Never had issue with any other Samsung, Sony, LG and HTC android phones but couldn't make this phone enter recovery mode.
Hope any of you can help me in this matter.

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io

You must shut off the phone completely, then press volume up+home+power together until the phone lights up...

allenultra

Mar 10, 2010
Ipoh, Malaysia
You must shut off the phone completely, then press volume up+home+power together until the phone lights up...

Tried that....
The Samsung logo did appear but it didn't boot into the recovery mode. As I continue pressing the 3 buttons together, the screen just show nothing....
I have even taken out the battery and put it back on certain attempts to confirm the phone is being shut off completely.

Is there anything I miss out?
As on my HTC Desire HD, I need to disable fast boot to boot into recovery mode. This is the first phone I had issues booting into recovery mode.

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io

No idea then...that is the only thing you need to do for this phone...no fastboot or whatsoever...the only way to enter recovery if you are not rooted is to press the volume up first, home, then power button together...don't press the power button first...

iXanza

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2011
Redmi K20 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Tried that....
The Samsung logo did appear but it didn't boot into the recovery mode. As I continue pressing the 3 buttons together, the screen just show nothing....
I have even taken out the battery and put it back on certain attempts to confirm the phone is being shut off completely.

As on my HTC Desire HD, I need to disable fast boot to boot into recovery mode. This is the first phone I had issues booting into recovery mode.
Just a heads up. when you use vol up menu power, after the samsung gt-i9100g screen comes up let go of the buttons. i never had problems going into recovery like that

sinatra_shinoda

Apr 21, 2011
Kota Kinabalu
Recovery Mode

Tried that....

I'm having the same problem. I was able to enter the stock 3e recovery mode, but i can't access the menu of the stock recovery, it went restarted after a second. :(

spatjoe

Dec 7, 2011
Also successfully rooted the new JB via this method.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using xda premium

gopzzz

May 23, 2008
But please do not flash any stock custom kernel for now as they are not JB compatible yet...
Hi can u be a bit more informative.
So that means we can root the latest xxlsr rom but we should not install custom rom with kernel of their one.. instead to install only custom rom without kernal? Am I correct ? If not pls be more clear....

Sent from my GT-I9100G using xda app-developers app

iXanza

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2011
Redmi K20 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi can u be a bit more informative.
So that means we can root the latest xxlsr rom but we should not install custom rom with kernel of their one.. instead to install only custom rom without kernal? Am I correct ? If not pls be more clear....

Do not flash any custom kernels like superics or blazing kernel

Sent from my GT-i9100G using xda premium

Reactions: Ryuinferno

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys! I believe most of you obtained root via this method by Jiangyi: [TUTORIAL] Root access for ICS on I9100G which requires a temporary CWM. Quite a few users face problems because in temporary CWM, internal storage is swapped with external storage, i.e. sdcard=internal storage, internal sdcard=external storage. It may be confusing for newbies, especially on their first attempt on rooting. Therefore, I decided to release an easier method, where you can flash the zip files directly via stock 3e recovery! :D

Requirements:
    - Running a stock ICS/JB ROM
    - External sdcard

Features:
    - SuperSU v0.99 by Chainfire
    - Busybox v1.20.2 by Stericson
    - No yellow traingle
    - No increase in binary counter

Instructions (Root):
    1. Download SU-BB-Installer.zip from here: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390233485161005747
    2. Place it in your external sdcard.
    3. Power off your device COMPLETELY.
    4. Boot into recovery mode by pressing Volume up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
    5. Navigate to "apply update from external storage" using the volume buttons.
    6. Select it by pressing the Power button.
    7. Select SU-BB-Installer.zip.
    8. Wait for it to finish and navigate up (select "../").
    9. Select "reboot system now".
    10. Congratulations, you now have root and busybox! :D

Optional: (For ICS only)
    To obtain CWM recovery in order to start flashing ROMs or mods, read on:
    1. Download kTool from Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool
    2. For ICS: Download the CWM recovery kernel by codeworkx from here: [KERNEL][GT-I9100G] ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.2
    3. Extract the .tar file and you will get a file named zImage.
    4. Place the zImage in the root of your internal storage.
    5. Launch kTool and select "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage".
    6. Reboot and profit! ;) If you boot into recovery by Volume Up + Home + Power buttons, you will now see CWM recovery.

Optional: (For JB only)
    To obtain CWM recovery in order to start flashing ROMs or mods, read on:
    1. Download one of the stock recovery flashable zips of Blazing Safe Kernel from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293576
    4. Boot into recovery mode by pressing Volume up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
    7. Select the zip.
    6. Reboot and profit! ;) If you boot into recovery by Volume Up + Home + Power buttons, you will now see CWM recovery.

Instructions (Unroot):
    1. Download SU-BB-Unstaller.zip from here: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390233485161005748
    7. Select SU-BB-Unstaller.zip.
    10. You are now unrooted.

**NOTE: In order to use this method to unroot, you MUST use my method to root before this.

Optional (remove CWM recovery)(For ICS only):
    This is the tricky part, the easiest way is to reflash a whole firmware via ODIN. But if you like new methods, try this:
    1. DO NOT uninstall kTool or unroot your phone first!
    2. Obtain a stock zImage (either you download it or extract it from a firmware package), make sure that it is meant for the firmware you are using.
    3. Place the zImage in the root of your internal storage.
    4. Launch kTool and select "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage".
    5. Reboot and if you boot into recovery by Volume Up + Home + Power buttons, you will now see the default stock 3e recovery.
    6. Now you can unroot your device. :D

Optional (remove CWM recovery)(For JB only):
    1. Download stock_XXLSR_kernel.zip from here: http://bit.ly/XCEejd and place it into your external sdcard/internal sdcard.
    5. Navigate to "Install zip from sdcard" using the volume buttons.
    7. Select "Install zip from sdcard" if you placed it in the external sdcard, or select "Install zip from internal storage" if you placed it in the internal sdcard.
    8. Navigate and select stock_XXLSR_kernel.zip.
    9. Wait for it to finish.
    10. Select "reboot system now".
    11. CWM recovery is now replaced by stock 3e recovery, and back to stock kernel too.

That's all from me. Happy rooting! ;)
    Guys! I just rooted the phone running the latest JB stock ROM using this method...so yeah...confirmed working! :D

But please do not flash any stock custom kernel for now as they are not JB compatible yet...
    Ryu yr work spread fast .:thumbup:
    http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxys2-i9100g-root-xxlsr-jellybean-update-release-433302.html

:D Great Mate :)
    will be back to our 'G' Family soon ;)
    with blast ;)

Sent from my Xperia T using tapatalk 2
    You are too free at 3.30 in the morning hahahaa :)
    Nice guide btw. will help a lot of people.