[APP][2.1+] D7 Reader (Feedly|RSS) v2.2.7 [30th July 2013]

Search This thread

droidlab7

Apr 3, 2011
This project was started (read below for more details) as a Google Reader client app for Android. After the shutdown of Google Reader on 1st of July, the app was enhanced to support Feedly cloud and The Old Reader services. This list will grow and more services will be supported in the future.

I want to introduce my android application to the XDA community in the hope that it will be useful for like minded people and to get constructive feedback to improve the app.

D7 Reader

I have been using the web based Google Reader on my Android phone for long and I have tried several native applications in the market, which sync with Google reader, including the official one. However, I was not satisfied with any of them because of the below reasons.

• All the apps want to sync in the background and store all articles offline (who wants to download those 1000 articles which were published a month ago, wasting the precious bandwidth)
  • The sync has always been an issue - I read article in the app and half an hour later I check the web based reader, that article wasn't marked as read
  • I couldn't do all the actions which I do in the web based Google reader (e.g.: add/remove subscription, label/tag management, article search, view shared articles, etc)
  • No app is instantly usable - initial sync may take up to an hour and this happens on a regular (scheduled sync) basis
  • Most of the apps are slow on my Galaxy S

So, I wanted to make a Google Reader app for my own needs and the result is "D7 Google Reader".

Below are details of the app.

D7 Reader: the fastest RSS Reader app for Android

rss | atom | news | podcast | video

A simple, fast and powerful Google Reader client for Android, enables you to access your reading list and manage your subscriptions with ease from a native application. The app keeps all the stuff in sync with Google Reader, always, without the need for a scheduled sync. It supports listening to podcasts or downloading them for later use and watching embedded video using the youtube app.

D7 Reader is an online app and it does support offline reading when the articles are explicitly saved (locally) by the user.

kw: rss atom podcast google reader news feed subscription share newspaper search

Main features

• Much faster than official Google Reader app
  • No Lags (specially on Galaxy S devices)
  • Google username/password NOT required
  • Multiple account support; switch between accounts on the fly
  • Utilizes low network traffic
  • Podcast support (download/play)
  • View mobilized articles
  • Add new subscription directly from the browser
  • Search for articles (powered by Google) within your subscriptions
  • Feed discovery and subscription (search for feeds using keywords)
  • Recommended articles from Google
  • Theme support (dark/light)
  • Support for multiple sharing options: Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Email, SMS and Pocket (Reader It Later) and Readability.
  • Support for embedded video playback

Features

• A dashboard with quick access links to your reader
    - Reading list/Subscriptions/Starred/Read articles
    - Recommended articles
    - Feed search
    - Saved articles
    - Preferences
  • Clean and friendly subscriptions management
    - Tree structure for labels/tags and subscriptions
    - Add new subscription (by feed search or direct add)
    - Remove subscription
    - Add/Remove labels to/from subscriptions
    - Rename label
    - Delete a label
    - Search for articles within labels/tags and subscriptions
  • Articles list view with the ability to choose between show all or new items (configurable in preferences)
    - Add/remove star
    - Keep-unread/Undo Keep-unread
    - Mark all as read
    - Search for articles
    - Swipe (left/right) to mark/unmark as read (or configure a custom action)
    - Add to Read It Later/ Readability
  • Recommended articles list
    - Personalized by Google
    - Subscribe to the feeds from the recommended items
  • Article view with support for sharing and social web
    - Better mobile readability and user experience (horizontal scrolling is not necessary for most articles)
    - Volume key navigation (set in preferences) or using on screen buttons
    - Add/remove star
    - Share via Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Email or SMS
    - Add to Pocket (Read It Later) and Readability
    - Swipe (left/right) to navigate between articles (when enabled in preferences)
    - View original article in browser
    - Save article offline to read later
    - listen to podcasts or download for later use
    - Mobilize original article (Mobilizers: Instapaper/Readability/Google)
    - Support for embedded video in articles
  • Offline items
    - a list of saved (sd card) articles
    - listen to downloaded podcasts
  • Home screen Widget with unread count display
    - Refresh interval can be configured
    - Does not update when the phone is in stand by (save battery power)
  • Configurable cache clear on exit (preferences)
  • And many more

Screen shots
home.jpgsubs_dark.jpg
feedlist_dark.jpgarticle_dark.jpg
browser_subscribe.jpgarticle_podcast.jpg
feed_search.jpgfeedlist_light.jpg

The app has been published in the Android market as an ad-supported free version. A paid version with additional features is also made available. Below are the QR codes for you to download app direct from the market.

D7 Reader (free version)
QR_Code.png

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droidlab7.reader

D7 Reader (paid version)
qr_code.png

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droidlab7.reader.pro

Last edited:

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
looks nice on first test, but one major issue: to open an article in browser i first have to open that menu and then click the browser button. should be a single click on the headline, way too annoying this way.

and also that check for ad blocking hosts file is quite annoying. If i like the app i'll buy it but please let me test the free version in advance without changing my system config. Show red annoying boxes instead of the ads when ads are blocked, that's ok, but please don't force me to disable my ad blocker which will in turn enable ads on all websites

Reactions: sriehl and brk3

droidlab7

Apr 3, 2011
looks nice on first test, but one major issue: to open an article in browser i first have to open that menu and then click the browser button. should be a single click on the headline, way too annoying this way.

and also that check for ad blocking hosts file is quite annoying. If i like the app i'll buy it but please let me test the free version in advance without changing my system config. Show red annoying boxes instead of the ads when ads are blocked, that's ok, but please don't force me to disable my ad blocker which will in turn enable ads on all websites

Thank you for the feedback XlAfbk.

Next version will have the browser button fix; I will consider finding an alternate solution for ad-blocked devices.

crimper

Jan 25, 2008
Very promising. Finally an *online* reader similar to Google native. I feel however that article list view space could be better used to fit more articles on the page, the last line is wasted with two icons. Also, how about showing article time in addition to date?

droidlab7

Apr 3, 2011
Very promising. Finally an *online* reader similar to Google native. I feel however that article list view space could be better used to fit more articles on the page, the last line is wasted with two icons. Also, how about showing article time in addition to date?

Thanks for the feedback crimper.

Do you think you can live without those icons? Even if I remove the left 2 icons, podcast icon needs to ne shown to indicate the user there is an attacjed podcast. I will think of a better way of arranging the information to utilise the space.

For the date/time display, do you think showing the time for todays articles and date for the older articles is a better option? Displaying both time and date will take up more space in my opinion. Please let me know your comments.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
swipe... good that you mention it. swiping right/left to go to the next/previous item would be nice (instead of having to click the arrow buttons)

crimper

Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for the feedback crimper.

Do you think you can live without those icons? Even if I remove the left 2 icons, podcast icon needs to ne shown to indicate the user there is an attacjed podcast. I will think of a better way of arranging the information to utilise the space.

For the date/time display, do you think showing the time for todays articles and date for the older articles is a better option? Displaying both time and date will take up more space in my opinion. Please let me know your comments.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

1. Maybe show icons on the same line as subject or preview? I really like the way Reader mobile page is formatted, clean and much better than the Google's reader app - article preview, smaller fonts.
2. I agree that time is relevant for today only.

jtkes693

Dec 10, 2010
thought of another idea....besides the widget newsrob has an unread count if use a shortcut instead i like this idea because its easier to change the icons to fit a theme...would this be possible for this app

droidlab7

Apr 3, 2011
thought of another idea....besides the widget newsrob has an unread count if use a shortcut instead i like this idea because its easier to change the icons to fit a theme...would this be possible for this app

I think I didn't get you quite correct. Can you please elaborate on this?

droidlab7

Apr 3, 2011
1. Maybe show icons on the same line as subject or preview? I really like the way Reader mobile page is formatted, clean and much better than the Google's reader app - article preview, smaller fonts.
2. I agree that time is relevant for today only.

Thanks crimper. I will do something about the icons.

jtkes693

Dec 10, 2010
I think I didn't get you quite correct. Can you please elaborate on this?

ok ill try....for example if i long press the home screen news has an unread count widget. but newsrob also has it so that instead of using the widget i can place a shortcut on the home screen that shows the unread count ill post a screen later if its still doesnt make sense

hansz73

Nov 23, 2010
I like the in-app mobilize article screen. However, the font is quite small for my phone.

Can you add option to change font size in mobilize article screen?
Is it possible to add option to go straight to "Reading List" when I open the app?

[add] Could you also add option to go straight to mobilize article screen when I tap the article?

Thanks

Last edited:

droidlab7

Apr 3, 2011
ok ill try....for example if i long press the home screen news has an unread count widget. but newsrob also has it so that instead of using the widget i can place a shortcut on the home screen that shows the unread count ill post a screen later if its still doesnt make sense

Got you; thanks for the detailed explanation.

I will consider this, but this will be of lower priority compared to the other features in the list. So, please don't expect this in the next release.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This project was started (read below for more details) as a Google Reader client app for Android. After the shutdown of Google Reader on 1st of July, the app was enhanced to support Feedly cloud and The Old Reader services. This list will grow and more services will be supported in the future.

I want to introduce my android application to the XDA community in the hope that it will be useful for like minded people and to get constructive feedback to improve the app.

D7 Reader

I have been using the web based Google Reader on my Android phone for long and I have tried several native applications in the market, which sync with Google reader, including the official one. However, I was not satisfied with any of them because of the below reasons.

• All the apps want to sync in the background and store all articles offline (who wants to download those 1000 articles which were published a month ago, wasting the precious bandwidth)
    • The sync has always been an issue - I read article in the app and half an hour later I check the web based reader, that article wasn't marked as read
    • I couldn't do all the actions which I do in the web based Google reader (e.g.: add/remove subscription, label/tag management, article search, view shared articles, etc)
    • No app is instantly usable - initial sync may take up to an hour and this happens on a regular (scheduled sync) basis
    • Most of the apps are slow on my Galaxy S

So, I wanted to make a Google Reader app for my own needs and the result is "D7 Google Reader".

Below are details of the app.

D7 Reader: the fastest RSS Reader app for Android

rss | atom | news | podcast | video

A simple, fast and powerful Google Reader client for Android, enables you to access your reading list and manage your subscriptions with ease from a native application. The app keeps all the stuff in sync with Google Reader, always, without the need for a scheduled sync. It supports listening to podcasts or downloading them for later use and watching embedded video using the youtube app.

D7 Reader is an online app and it does support offline reading when the articles are explicitly saved (locally) by the user.

kw: rss atom podcast google reader news feed subscription share newspaper search

Main features

• Much faster than official Google Reader app
    • No Lags (specially on Galaxy S devices)
    • Google username/password NOT required
    • Multiple account support; switch between accounts on the fly
    • Utilizes low network traffic
    • Podcast support (download/play)
    • View mobilized articles
    • Add new subscription directly from the browser
    • Search for articles (powered by Google) within your subscriptions
    • Feed discovery and subscription (search for feeds using keywords)
    • Recommended articles from Google
    • Theme support (dark/light)
    • Support for multiple sharing options: Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Email, SMS and Pocket (Reader It Later) and Readability.
    • Support for embedded video playback

Features

• A dashboard with quick access links to your reader
      - Reading list/Subscriptions/Starred/Read articles
      - Recommended articles
      - Feed search
      - Saved articles
      - Preferences
    • Clean and friendly subscriptions management
      - Tree structure for labels/tags and subscriptions
      - Add new subscription (by feed search or direct add)
      - Remove subscription
      - Add/Remove labels to/from subscriptions
      - Rename label
      - Delete a label
      - Search for articles within labels/tags and subscriptions
    • Articles list view with the ability to choose between show all or new items (configurable in preferences)
      - Add/remove star
      - Mark all as read
      - Search for articles
      - Swipe (left/right) to mark/unmark as read (or configure a custom action)
      - Add to Read It Later/ Readability
    • Recommended articles list
      - Personalized by Google
      - Subscribe to the feeds from the recommended items
    • Article view with support for sharing and social web
      - Better mobile readability and user experience (horizontal scrolling is not necessary for most articles)
      - Volume key navigation (set in preferences) or using on screen buttons
      - Add/remove star
      - Share via Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Email or SMS
      - Add to Pocket (Read It Later) and Readability
      - Swipe (left/right) to navigate between articles (when enabled in preferences)
      - View original article in browser
      - Save article offline to read later
      - listen to podcasts or download for later use
      - Mobilize original article (Mobilizers: Instapaper/Readability/Google)
      - Support for embedded video in articles
    • Offline items
      - a list of saved (sd card) articles
      - listen to downloaded podcasts
    • Home screen Widget with unread count display
      - Refresh interval can be configured
      - Does not update when the phone is in stand by (save battery power)
    • Configurable cache clear on exit (preferences)
    • And many more

Screen shots
    home.jpgsubs_dark.jpg
    feedlist_dark.jpgarticle_dark.jpg
    browser_subscribe.jpgarticle_podcast.jpg
    feed_search.jpgfeedlist_light.jpg

The app has been published in the Android market as an ad-supported free version. A paid version with additional features is also made available. Below are the QR codes for you to download app direct from the market.

D7 Reader (free version)
    QR_Code.png

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droidlab7.reader

D7 Reader (paid version)
    qr_code.png

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droidlab7.reader.pro
    D7 Reader 2.2.4

Alright, I'm back with the Good news! Hope you will enjoy this!

D7 Reader with Feedly cloud support has been released in Google Play (it may take sometime to appear). The new version will require you to login to Feedly via OAuth, you can still use the same Google account for OAuth.

D7 Reader integration to Feedly cloud will make you enjoy seamless transition from Google Reader to Feedly cloud.

There is no visual changes to the app however a lot work has been done in integrating to Feedly cloud. The app features should be the same as before. Please report any bugs either in here or directly via email.

You can still bring in your subscriptions from Google Reader to Feedly. To do so, you need to login to Feedly via web and import the OPML file that you got from Google Takeout.

Change log for version 2.2.4
    • Integrated with Feedly cloud after the shutdown of Google Reader.
    • Few minor fixes will be done in another update.

Happy reading with D7 Reader!

since earlier today it says in the play store listing:
    *** Currently working with Feedly to keep this app alive after the Google Reader shut down ***
    New version 1.8

I'm here with a new update with some nice features. Most prominent is the dashboard icons and the layout. All actions are possible with one click from this new home screen (but I want your feedback on the colour though).

Another useful feature is the tags support for the articles; That is, you can add tags to articles and access articles for specific tags from Subscripts view.

Here is the change log for version 1.8

• Enhanced Dashboard with all icons visible
    • Enhanced subscriptions view (no more "[NO LABELS]" label]
    • Speed improvements
    • Fixed the video not fit to width bug
    • Add/remove tags for articles
    • Improvement in article list view display
    • More toast messages to keep the user informed about sync
    • Minor bug fixes