[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mariog

Jul 24, 2009
Retroillumination doesn't work on glowlight 1.1.5

Hi guevor,

I've tried it on a Nook glowlight 1.1.5 and the backlight ceased to work.
Tried to disable/enable from settings, no effect.

P.S: Does your kernel integrate ADB, if not is possible to add it?
Thanks.

Last edited:

ctot

Dec 26, 2009
Hi guevor,

Another one with the glowlight 1.1.5 that after installing #174 the backlight ceased to work.

Previously I had installed one of the very first uimages you compiled and backlight was working OK.

After installing CWM #174 it's no longer working, so I installed back #166 and same situation (not working).

Trying some possibilities I've found that I can turn it on /off (works both in #166 and #174):
- Turn on: open glowlight menu, mark the ON checkbox and touch on de brightness slider.
- Turn off: only way is presing power button and getting screensaver.

Please guevor, is there any possibitily to get backlight working normally?

Regards and thanks in advance.

Ctot

PS: restoring previous uRamDisk brings back backlight. Does anybody know if there can be any impact having original uRamDisk?

Last edited:

martin_155

Oct 1, 2012
On my NST with 1.2.0 fast mode does not work, nothing happens when activated.

i5700/Tapatalk 2

This is not true! Fastmode works perfectly fine, the only problem is the app toggling.
"adb push fmode /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode" with config "1" works, app toggles perfectly back to "0" with root access, but nothing happens if you want to toggle to "1"

Cheers :)

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
There seems to be a problem with Sdcard handling in the latest 174 FW version.
The nook tends not to boot with sdcard inserted (It boots once every 3 tries).
Problem does not occur with v.166.

32GB Transcend class 2

also..
NoRefresh app stopped working in 174.

Last edited:

wojsed

May 5, 2009
Poznan
Hi, I am newbie of NST owner.
I install NoRefreshToogle.apk, but it does not work as should it.
I have just like Asterix0108:
In detail, when I did 4 downward right taps, nothing happened, I must run No Refresh first then when in app, hold home button for a while then choose No Refresh in Recent Apps. It's quite inconvinient. But for a wonder, when No Refresh is activated, when I did 4 upward taps, No refresh was disabled.

but when I run theNoRefresh, the screen is very bright and low contrast and text is unreadable.

Write as rooting and hacking my NST:
1. I wrote on sdcard sd_2gb_clockwork-rc2.zip and I install install_cwm_recovery_rc2.zip from CWM [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360994]
2. I installed Kernel OC 1100MHz, with fastmode and multitouch -> "Cwm recovery install zip" pack #174 [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906507]
3. I installed MinimalTouch 1.1. Precisely, I installed XWFullTouch-PART-1-START. Next, I register device by YT i GMail. Finally I installed XWU-NWU-MFTouch-PART-2-END-1.zip [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1346748]
4. I installed NoRefreshToggle.apk by ADB [http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22800284&postcount=10]

If I did something wrong (or in the wrong order), then correct me!
Maybe the problem is with the kernel?

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
This is not true! Fastmode works perfectly fine, the only problem is the app toggling.
"adb push fmode /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode" with config "1" works, app toggles perfectly back to "0" with root access, but nothing happens if you want to toggle to "1"

Cheers :)

He's right, you know?

Same problem here. Fw 1.2 US.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

He's right, you know?

Same problem here. Fw 1.2 US.

To get FastRefresh start at boot add :

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode

at the end of "/system/bin/clrbootcount.sh"

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1241419

Mdall :
Method 2: adding commands at the end of /system/bin/clrbootcount.sh (this file is executed when the boot is completed)
Code:
adb pull /system/bin/clrbootcount.sh
//Now you can edit this file and add at the end a command (echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode)
//Then
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb push clrbootcount.sh /system/bin/clrbootcount.sh
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/clrbootcount.sh

Thank you for great info Mdall

Temporary solution to run FastRefresh after we have disabled it is to run an '.sh' script using
'GScript'

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=486486

You can place shortcut to the Gscript's script on your desktop just like with any apk.
Scripts goes to /sdcard/gscript/

Last edited:
Reactions: dflt

guevor

Aug 20, 2010
Valencia
Sorry I can not give more time but lately I'm not feeling too well and being in front of the screen only makes things worse, so I can only spend a few minutes.
I created the patch with the latest changes.
About the problem with the glow, I understand it is due to a difference in the ramdisk, so if someone gives me the glow version to see the differences, will try to make one that works for everyone.
About the problem with the program to switch to FastMode, I have not clear what may be the cause, since it does is really simple, but when I can, will try to modify it to see if it works on 1.2.

Attachments

• kernel-mod-v4.patch
    110.6 KB · Views: 187

staylo

May 10, 2011
Sorry I can not give more time but lately I'm not feeling too well and being in front of the screen only makes things worse, so I can only spend a few minutes.
I created the patch with the latest changes.

Thanks for all your hard work guevor, that's excellent. I hope your health improves soon!

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań

With this kernel my NST hangs after using USB host and then running android keyboard for the second time. (after changing USB mode to back to "peripherial").
Same thing happens after plugging NOOK to PC and then unplugging.
It doesn't matter if 'NullKeyboard' or 'Android Keyboard' is selected in NookTouchTools.
Anyone observed the same behaviour on his/her nook?
Changing kernel for eg. to 'v166' solves the problem but of course you lose USB host or FastMode.

FW 1.1.2 / FW 1.1.0

guevor

Aug 20, 2010
Valencia
I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

If only need the kernel, you can get it from the boot folder on the zip.

Attachments

• install-kernel-174-modified.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 11,545
  • install-kernel-usbhost-176.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 16,445

turtle555

Aug 22, 2009
I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

I can confirm that your latest fixes work Guevor. Both Fast Mode and Usb host are working at least with an external USB wireless multi media keyboard. I have only had my Nook ST for less than a day though. This Thread made for good reading while I was waiting on it coming in the mail. Your work here is amazing Thank you, I was showing my wife the difference of the nook touch with fast mode enabled and without, literally left her mouth agape and speechless and that is very hard to do. :D She does not know that she is getting her own Nook ST for X-mas :angel: thanks to you it will be a worthy present.

turtle555

Aug 22, 2009
I found that the Fast app works fine, you use it to turn it on and off. That is how I can show the before fastmode and after fastmode examples to people. I have done that like 3 times day. So not finding this strange at all

matteone

Feb 24, 2008
I confirm glow correct operation of the modified #174 on Nook Glow - now the n button correctly turns the light on and off.

Thanks Guevor for the great work!

ciao
matt

hshsh

Dec 30, 2011
Anzali
I found that the Fast app works fine, you use it to turn it on and off. That is how I can show the before fastmode and after fastmode examples to people. I have done that like 3 times day. So not finding this strange at all

are you using framware 1.2 ?
it does'nt work for me . of course if "fmode" set to 1 , fast mode is done . but toggling app does'nt work .

ctot

Dec 26, 2009
It works perfectly now with Glow (V1.1.5). The glow light turns on and off with the n key.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because I suffer some problems in the vision, I bought a Nook Simple Touch to perform some of the functions performed with my asus transformer but with an electronic ink display. I must say I'm quite satisfied with its functionalty, but despite having to severely limit my hours in front of screens, I could not resist to modify the kernel.

The kernel adds frequencies of 1GHz and 1.1GHz, besides being modified to compile using gcc 4.7 from Linaro. I've also changed some compilation options.
    The kernel includes the modifications for multitouch.

Attached the patch for the original source code 1.1 and my build.
    Don't forget to rename the uImage.img to uImage (renamed it to allow the uploading)

Since version 2, the kernel support the normal and glow versions.

REMOVED temporarily
    New version of FastMode.apk written by me.
    Works on FW 1.2.x.
    No one else wanted to do this, so I have learned something new and created my first android apk.
    You can thank me later.
    New version with a new fast display mode

I've been testing the epaper's driver, both to see how it work and to testing if I could get something new.

I added a parameter (/ sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode) that can enable a new fast mode.

By default starts at 0, so it works very much as always (although I modified some behavior, I have to do more tests), and if we put it to 1 enables a new faster mode.

To not extend much (and avoid being too much in front of the computer screen), I recorded a video showing the new mode, and also put a couple of images to compare the normal mode with the new one.

I have also created a small program that will allow us to switch between the two modes (I use the Reading now button for it)

Hope you are interested.

New version

Apart from some arrangements, I added smartassV2 as new governor, sio as the new io scheduler and veno as tcp congestion control.
    I hope the first thing improves system response, the second improved access to the flash and the third improve somewhat the wifi.
    Anyway, the best way to check is to try and comment the results because not everyone uses it the same way.

As always put the kernel file, uImage.img, to be renamed uImage before installing and a zip file to install all from cwm recovery, this time including a uRamdisk modified to use smartassV2 since boot.