[GUI][APP] Instapaper for Windows 8

Search This thread

revxx14

Feb 6, 2011
Chicago
ghostlyco.de
Hello! I'm a designer who loves Metro. I'm tired of seeing the lackluster Metro app design currently plaguing the Windows Store. While there are some fantastic designs, many apps are just boring or don't fit in well with the Metro design language.

I'm here to help. I'm offering my design skills at no cost, all I ask for is one line of credit in the app's About page.

This is my first design. It's a complete GUI for Instapaper. It's very clean, modern, and most certainly Metro. It's extremely simplistic, but still has everything you could want from an Instapaper app. This app rivals even the official Android and iOS Instapaper apps. The design is based around the Bing News app and the People app. If you're interested in developing this app, I feel you could charge at least $3 in the Store, and make a good profit, which I would want no part of.

Below are some images. I have PSDs of every interface from the log in to creating a new folder. If you're seriously interested in developing this app, either send me a message or post below.

C0BCw.png

hmDuJ.png

JTllR.png

UweT0.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bewinxed and lekki

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Aaaagh... don't quote huge OPs like that, please! Just hit Quick Reply and don't use the "Quote message in reply?" option. It just makes the page really long and makes it hard to find the breaks between posts...

To the OP: looks very nice. I hope you find a dev to work with. A few things to keep in mind:
1) Different resolutions, and scaling between them. What looks great on the Surface's 1366x768 will look pretty bad on my desktop's 2560x1440.
2) Different aspect ratios. Tablets in particular are sometimes used in portrait aspect ratio. It would be great to have a good UI for using the app like that too; not enough Store apps handle that well.
3) Snapping the app to one side or the other. This makes it much thinner and also removes the ability to open the App Bar (right-click or swipe in from top/bottom) and Charms bar for that app, so if it's going to be useful in the snapped view it should offer the most critical controls directly to the user in this interface. Skype, Xbox Music, and even Mail do decent jobs of this, although they aren't necessarily pretty.

offspin2040

Aug 10, 2012
Bangalore
mrappbrain.com
Aaaagh... don't quote huge OPs like that, please! Just hit Quick Reply and don't use the "Quote message in reply?" option. It just makes the page really long and makes it hard to find the breaks between posts...

To the OP: looks very nice. I hope you find a dev to work with. A few things to keep in mind:
1) Different resolutions, and scaling between them. What looks great on the Surface's 1366x768 will look pretty bad on my desktop's 2560x1440.
2) Different aspect ratios. Tablets in particular are sometimes used in portrait aspect ratio. It would be great to have a good UI for using the app like that too; not enough Store apps handle that well.
3) Snapping the app to one side or the other. This makes it much thinner and also removes the ability to open the App Bar (right-click or swipe in from top/bottom) and Charms bar for that app, so if it's going to be useful in the snapped view it should offer the most critical controls directly to the user in this interface. Skype, Xbox Music, and even Mail do decent jobs of this, although they aren't necessarily pretty.

Post edited....

revxx14

Feb 6, 2011
Chicago
ghostlyco.de
I do have designs for every view/position (I haven't done anything about scalability, but I have ideas on how to work with that). I only posted the two main views in dark/light varients to make sure people could get a good solid understand of how it will work and function. I have PSD's for almost everything that's needed. I've found someone who says they'd like to work on it.

creagrox

Feb 21, 2012
Ranchi, Jharkhand
Xiaomi Poco F1
You should undertake overhauling a well known open source windows software. Most of them dont have a metro counterpart. Just pick anything, i can see you have a pretty functional design understanding.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello! I'm a designer who loves Metro. I'm tired of seeing the lackluster Metro app design currently plaguing the Windows Store. While there are some fantastic designs, many apps are just boring or don't fit in well with the Metro design language.

I'm here to help. I'm offering my design skills at no cost, all I ask for is one line of credit in the app's About page.

This is my first design. It's a complete GUI for Instapaper. It's very clean, modern, and most certainly Metro. It's extremely simplistic, but still has everything you could want from an Instapaper app. This app rivals even the official Android and iOS Instapaper apps. The design is based around the Bing News app and the People app. If you're interested in developing this app, I feel you could charge at least $3 in the Store, and make a good profit, which I would want no part of.

Below are some images. I have PSDs of every interface from the log in to creating a new folder. If you're seriously interested in developing this app, either send me a message or post below.

C0BCw.png

hmDuJ.png

JTllR.png

UweT0.png