[MOD][FLASHABLE ZIP] Remove GApps in any ICS/JB ROM

Search This thread

sintoo

Nov 26, 2009
Recovery install yielded:
(Status 6)
Installation aborted

Searching Google says: Status 6 is a syntax error.

More reading says: It's due to using Windows to edit files , possible causes: command syntax typos, Upper vs Lower case in file names (Unix -> Windows -> Unix)
Or Cariage returns (Notepad++ or most editor will screw up unix text files).

Reactions: Bonoboo

psydex

Nov 25, 2012
Plovdiv
mobers.org
Script in first post very discounted and deleting not all files due update of gapps.
Here's updated version attached to post.
Script automatically mounts /system, you don't need do it by yourself.

Script compatible with CM7, CM9, CM10, CM10.1, CM10.2, CM11
Full delete will be on CyanogenMod rom's due of possible other file naming in stock firmware.

Disclaimer: _maybe_ some stuff or all ROM will broken after applying this ZIP.
Network location may be will disabled because is part of gapps.
>>>>>>>> Use at your own risk and make backup via recovery! <<<<<<<<

Apps with embedded Google Maps such as Foursquare, Instagram and many other will be hidden in Play Store and can't be installed manually because of lack of framework for it.
Also some apps requests installed Google Play Store too.

There's two versions. One with prefix "Safe" keeps only framework.
Flash via custom recovery:

This doesn't work. It flashes successfuly but after i boot - everything is exactly the same, all gapps are still there. I used the FULL.zip

pmvyas

This doesn't work. It flashes successfuly but after i boot - everything is exactly the same, all gapps are still there. I used the FULL.zip

Just tried. I get error 6 too...

Sent from my LG-P500

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Sorry, wrong post copied....meant to quote bonobo's post..

Sent from my LG-P500

Bonoboo

Dec 30, 2012
Ukraine
Redmi Note 10 Pro
This never gonna work...
Was something wrong with ZIP's: just repacked it and all ok. Again reuploaded.
Tested on LG P500, Android 4.3, TWRP 2.3.6.0 – gapps removed.

Note: script removes apps from /system partition. Maybe some of them was updated and additionally stored in internal memory, so you need manually delete a bit of remainders by usual way.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmvyas

WMNovice

Dec 11, 2007
Does the gapps package replace any system files?

I have tried running the uninstaller, with no success. I will now try manually, file by file. In this way, I plan to delete each file mentioned in delete.sh.

My question is: does the gapps installer overwrite any system files that are required? Would deleting any such system file installed by the gapps installer without having its original stock ROM version as a backup brick the phone?

So far, I have deleted the add.on files 70-gapps.sh and 71-gapps-faceunlock.sh successfully without any harmful consequences, except I get the message "Google search has stopped" quite often.

Can you explain the logic behind your uninstall script so I can take those same steps manually? What do you have to unmount/mount, what do you have to delete, what do you have to replace from the original stock ROM backup? I'm afraid I do not have an original stock ROM backup, so I'll be stuck if any file from the original stock ROM is required.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bonoboo

Dec 30, 2012
Ukraine
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I have tried running the uninstaller
Running? This must be flashed via recovery.

does the gapps installer overwrite any system files that are required? Would deleting any such system file installed by the gapps installer without having its original stock ROM version as a backup brick the phone?
No one knows from what app ROM very depends.
There always risk to get bootloop.

Can you explain the logic behind your uninstall script so I can take those same steps manually?
What do you have to unmount/mount, what do you have to delete
Nothing special.
Mounting /system from updater-script, extracting shell-script to /tmp, setting permissions, running it.
Script just deleting APK's, names I took from gapps ZIP's. That's all.

what do you have to replace from the original stock ROM backup? I'm afraid I do not have an original stock ROM backup, so I'll be stuck if any file from the original stock ROM is required.
Don't understand you.
Create backup of whole system from recovery (CWM / TWRP) before deleting gapps.
So you can revert back.

WMNovice

Dec 11, 2007
Actually, the instructions should say "Take a backup of your ROM before installing gapps, so that you can go back to it if you face any problems".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [FLASHABLE ZIP] Remove GApps in ROM: now supports Android 10

NOTE:
    script no more maintained. Even not try it on Android 11/12/99.
    There by default not possible to edit files on system partitions (here patch) and their quantity has increased.
    Also firmwares even more depend on gapps so risk of bootloop even higher.

Script in first post very discounted and therefore deleting not all files.
    Here's updated version. Script automatically mounts /system and /vendor, you don't need do it by yourself.

Script compatible with Android 2.3...10.0
    Guaranteed delete will be only on custom rom's with built-in or OpenGapps and Pixel / Nexus / Android One firmware due of possible other file naming in manufacturer stock firmware.
    I tried to collect all files related to Google.

Script removes apps from /system and /vendor partitions. Probably some of them was updated and additionally stored in internal memory.
    So you need manually delete a bit of remainders as normal app.
    Batch deleting available with root in Link2SD

Some bits of files can left on device (like important WebView), but almost all other will be removed.
    Also here open source version of gapps (microG)

IMPORTANT!
    Maybe some stuff or whole ROM will broken after applying this ZIP because modern firmwares very depends from gapps
    – I've tried to remove as much possible Google-related files
    – don't apply script after wipe /data, only after first boot. Otherwise execute these commands
    – Before applying set Settings > Apps > Gear icon > Default apps > Voice & assist > both to "None" (source)
    – Script removes Google Launcher, install 3rd-party app or device will not boot!
    – Script removes stock Google keyboard, install 3rd party before applying!
    – Script removes Google Dialer, install 3rd-party before applying!
    – ...and many other apps
    – Apps that display Google Maps can't be installed
    – A lot of apps requests Google Play Store and Google Play Services which will be removed
    – Network location will be unavailable because it's part of gapps
    – Recommended to wipe dalvik-cache to rid out of unused odex-files

>>> Use it at your own risk and make full backup via recovery before flashing! <<<

Previous more "lite" version: remove_gapps_2.3-8.1.zip
    2 All
    Flashable ZIP updated and now support Marshmallow with more new files to remove.
    Download >>
    2 All
    Flashable ZIP updated:
    – Support of Oreo (8.0...8.1)
    Download >>
    Does it work in jb also? I would really need it!

Edit: Yes it does! Great thanks! :)

Ps. I don t use this zip to get rid of gapps completely, but to clean gapps before installing a different gapp zip or when switching from ics to jb and viceversa ! (Full wipe don t delete gapps and some roms don t delete them also so this zip is very useful!)