Does Odin work through Bootcamp or Parallels on a Mac?

Search This thread

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
Pretty straightforward question. I'm looking at going from a Windows laptop to a macbook and want to make sure some of the programs I use frequently work. Will Odin work via Windows on a Mac? Thanks.

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
Anyone? Really want to pull the trigger on this MBP, but want to ensure I can still tinker with my android devices...

red321red321

Oct 28, 2013
i just used Odin and it would not work on my MBP with Parallels Win 7. I had to drag out my PC and then Odin worked fine

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
i just used Odin and it would not work on my MBP with Parallels Win 7. I had to drag out my PC and then Odin worked fine

How about boot camp? Do you think the issue has to do with drivers? Not familiar with Mac OS yet... My current laptop is the only windows machine I own and don't want to get rid of it in lieu of the MBP in case some of my programs don't work...

Jun 27, 2014
Sent via PM, but finally realized why it wasn't posting in the forum (links)

...So posting here since someone else may need/want this at some point:

1) You'll want vmware fusion; there's a trial. You can easily install and uninstall it on a mac if you don't want to pay. Vbox and parallels won't work.

2) You'll need the Samsung USB drivers for phones exe from Samsung's website. You'll probably also want to separately get the Kies binaries (both windows bins).

3) MS offers pre-made VMs in virtualbox format (ova's); these aren't activated and expire in 30 days, but will still sorta work after that (they'll shut down after about 30-60mins after that point). Easy enough to just reimport; not sure how often you plan on using Odin. Kies itself is generally ok on a mac, but nothing else is (aside from like graphics-tab apps, and generic usb file stuff). You'll want to get Win7 vm images. These should work but if not you can google; MS doesn't make a secret of their VMs, they're made for developers to check compatibility between different versions of IE. Get all of these and then decompress, and you'll get an .ova file (links to Win7-IE10 VM archive files removed as I don't have 10 posts yet).

4) In VMware Fusion, you'll want to import the .ova file (.ova's are technically virtualbox images, but vmware will easily convert them to its own format). Once you've imported it go into the VM's settings and allocate 2gb of ram or so to the VM (I wouldn't go much below that; if you have a later mac that shouldn't be a problem; you might be able to get by on 1.5gb though I haven't tried). You'll also want to go into the vmware usb settings and make sure to be prompted when you add a device instead of just attaching it to one or the other or you'll wind up with issues, possibly, later on.

5) Boot the Win7 vm, install VMware tools, reboot, install samsung drivers, and then install Kies if you want Kies as well (Kies may also bridge some driver gaps, I can't remember; I do remember I had a bit of trouble with correct device recognition; I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you have a problem post publicly and I can message you with the proper driver set otherwise this should work afair); the problem, if I recall, was in detecting the specific USB devices/hub, if anything. DO NOT plug in your tablet until all of these drivers have been installed and you have rebooted the VM. You've been warned.

6) Boot the VM, plug the cable into the tablet, and then the other end into the Mac. If you've set up the USB prompting properly (btw make sure you set it to 2.0 not 3.0), you should get a prompt asking if you want to attach it to the Mac or Windows; choose Windows. The drivers should do there thing in a few minutes and eventually recognize the tablet. You may or may not want to reboot the VM one last time at this point before opening Odin, but at this point it should all work.

* A note: you'll probably want to enable a shared folder via VMware with the contents of anything you want to flash and the exes to flash them with; this is pretty straightforward in the VM settings. You'll want to copy/paste from that shared folder to the VM, not run from it; Odin and other stuff tends to hang if you try to run it directly from the share. I just keep everything I need or might want to use in the future on the VM and suspend it til I need it again, but you can just as easily shut it down and it'll retain all of the data, etc; just be mindful of the 30 day limit if you're using one of the precompiled VMs (as I said, they'll still work, but it can get naggy and shut itself down if not in use (or maybe if it is, but I haven't had it bomb out on me mid-flash (yet, knock wood)).

Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: hadobac and AirikH
Jun 27, 2014
That's interesting...

not a single problem with parallels windows 8 or xp. while i flash 4.4.2 via odin i surf the web on mac safari.

Mind if I ask what release of OSX and hardware you're on? I know I was having some USB recognition problems with the other two, but that was 2 point releases ago on Mavericks (on 10.9.3 now, haven't tried again). It could be a MBP thing also. I wouldn't mind using Parallels (I have a licensed copy) if it worked for this; as it stands I use parallels for OSX, vbox for *nix and android, and vmware for windows OSes for various reasons.

Macbook Pro 13.3 2012. Mavericks updated, parallels updated with latest version. Windows 8.1 work fine with odin, but i use mainly windows xp. both configure with usb 3.0 driver.
12GB ram, 512GB SSD samsung evo (this is just for show off not relevant to update our tablet) .
i used vmware sideways with parallels but find that parallels it's more faster, reliable and more crash proof.
after you connect the tablet to mac you get the option to connect to mac or virtual machine. afterwards you allways have the option to connect/disconect the usb periferic.

Jun 27, 2014
Macbook Pro 13.3 2012. Mavericks updated, parallels updated with latest version. Windows 8.1 work fine with odin, but i use mainly windows xp. both configure with usb 3.0 driver.
12GB ram, 512GB SSD samsung evo (this is just for show off not relevant to update our tablet) .
i used vmware sideways with parallels but find that parallels it's more faster, reliable and more crash proof.
after you connect the tablet to mac you get the option to connect to mac or virtual machine. afterwards you allways have the option to connect/disconect the usb periferic.

I'm on a late 2013 13.3 MBP. I think back when I was trying to debug the problem I'd read that USB 3.0 and how it's handled on the latest MB might have something to do with it, but I can't recall correctly. I should probably retry just for sh*ts and giggles; was always on the most recent Parallels, VMware, and VirtualBox. That said, I've found VMware in general to be more stable on my particular machine, and quicker to boot/suspend/unsuspend. It could very well just be my imagination or preference though, nosing its way in.

And talking about hardware is never showing off, as long as you're making good use of it. OS wars, however, is another story. :p

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sent via PM, but finally realized why it wasn't posting in the forum (links)

...So posting here since someone else may need/want this at some point:

1) You'll want vmware fusion; there's a trial. You can easily install and uninstall it on a mac if you don't want to pay. Vbox and parallels won't work.

2) You'll need the Samsung USB drivers for phones exe from Samsung's website. You'll probably also want to separately get the Kies binaries (both windows bins).

3) MS offers pre-made VMs in virtualbox format (ova's); these aren't activated and expire in 30 days, but will still sorta work after that (they'll shut down after about 30-60mins after that point). Easy enough to just reimport; not sure how often you plan on using Odin. Kies itself is generally ok on a mac, but nothing else is (aside from like graphics-tab apps, and generic usb file stuff). You'll want to get Win7 vm images. These should work but if not you can google; MS doesn't make a secret of their VMs, they're made for developers to check compatibility between different versions of IE. Get all of these and then decompress, and you'll get an .ova file (links to Win7-IE10 VM archive files removed as I don't have 10 posts yet).

4) In VMware Fusion, you'll want to import the .ova file (.ova's are technically virtualbox images, but vmware will easily convert them to its own format). Once you've imported it go into the VM's settings and allocate 2gb of ram or so to the VM (I wouldn't go much below that; if you have a later mac that shouldn't be a problem; you might be able to get by on 1.5gb though I haven't tried). You'll also want to go into the vmware usb settings and make sure to be prompted when you add a device instead of just attaching it to one or the other or you'll wind up with issues, possibly, later on.

5) Boot the Win7 vm, install VMware tools, reboot, install samsung drivers, and then install Kies if you want Kies as well (Kies may also bridge some driver gaps, I can't remember; I do remember I had a bit of trouble with correct device recognition; I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you have a problem post publicly and I can message you with the proper driver set otherwise this should work afair); the problem, if I recall, was in detecting the specific USB devices/hub, if anything. DO NOT plug in your tablet until all of these drivers have been installed and you have rebooted the VM. You've been warned.

6) Boot the VM, plug the cable into the tablet, and then the other end into the Mac. If you've set up the USB prompting properly (btw make sure you set it to 2.0 not 3.0), you should get a prompt asking if you want to attach it to the Mac or Windows; choose Windows. The drivers should do there thing in a few minutes and eventually recognize the tablet. You may or may not want to reboot the VM one last time at this point before opening Odin, but at this point it should all work.

* A note: you'll probably want to enable a shared folder via VMware with the contents of anything you want to flash and the exes to flash them with; this is pretty straightforward in the VM settings. You'll want to copy/paste from that shared folder to the VM, not run from it; Odin and other stuff tends to hang if you try to run it directly from the share. I just keep everything I need or might want to use in the future on the VM and suspend it til I need it again, but you can just as easily shut it down and it'll retain all of the data, etc; just be mindful of the 30 day limit if you're using one of the precompiled VMs (as I said, they'll still work, but it can get naggy and shut itself down if not in use (or maybe if it is, but I haven't had it bomb out on me mid-flash (yet, knock wood)).

Good luck and enjoy.
    not a single problem with parallels windows 8 or xp. while i flash 4.4.2 via odin i surf the web on mac safari.