Which custom ROM has best battery life and apps2sd?

Search This thread

jaywhy13

Mar 15, 2012
Noob questions, ROMs are different from kernels? Can I have the energy ROM installed and still keep sense and still have great battery life (prob throw in an Anker battery as well).

lk757

Apr 1, 2011
A slightly off-topic question (sorry, due to rules I am not allowed to post in the Energy ROM thread): does Energy ROM include the mod to reduce/eliminate soft buttons light bleeding by turning their back-lit off or dimming it significantly? I was under impression that the latest version of Energy addresses this problem but I still can see the significant light bleeding coming from soft buttons?

wardfan220

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2010
Eldridge, IA
A slightly off-topic question (sorry, due to rules I am not allowed to post in the Energy ROM thread): does Energy ROM include the mod to reduce/eliminate soft buttons light bleeding by turning their back-lit off or dimming it significantly? I was under impression that the latest version of Energy addresses this problem but I still can see the significant light bleeding coming from soft buttons?

Slightly? lol I think this thread has what you want/need to fix the bleedthrough.

Noob questions, ROMs are different from kernels? Can I have the energy ROM installed and still keep sense and still have great battery life (prob throw in an Anker battery as well).

The kernel is part of the rom, you can flash different kernels on different roms, but most of the time the devs have a built in a pretty good kernel. The Energy rom does still include Sense, so you wouldn't lose that. As far as battery life, that's something you'll have to investigate (as well as which kernel to use) in the Energy thread, someone may have posted luck with a specific kernel or overclock/underclock setting.

Let's get back on topic please.

Last edited:

bmbrad

Nov 5, 2011
SoCal
Loving this latest energy rom! Still on my first charge. Might have to try the faux kernal next. Are you guys uv and uc the faux kernal?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332125451241.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332125451241.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 69

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
The kernel is part of the rom, you can flash different kernels on different roms, but most of the time the devs have a built in a pretty good kernel. The Energy rom does still include Sense, so you wouldn't lose that. As far as battery life, that's something you'll have to investigate (as well as which kernel to use) in the Energy thread, someone may have posted luck with a specific kernel or overclock/underclock setting.

I found the faux kernel doesn't have powersave governor which the stock kernel have ?
NRGZ's OC Daemon settings use the powersave governor when sleeping, I'm wondering if removing this governor would have negative impact on the battery life in faux kernel ?

wardfan220

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2010
Eldridge, IA
I found the faux kernel doesn't have powersave governor which the stock kernel have ?
NRGZ's OC Daemon settings use the powersave governor when sleeping, I'm wondering if removing this governor would have negative impact on the battery life in faux kernel ?

I hope you weren't asking me,lol. I know nothing about dev related stuff :(
But I would think that removing a governor so that you can underclock would not have a negative effect.

G

glacierguy

That makes logical sense to me. I would try them both and see. It would be good knowledge to share once you found out... And its not like you'll hurt your phone.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

seansk

Feb 15, 2010
Los Angeles
even though i use faux's and have used it for a while, I used to find that I would get better battery with the stock kernel. I don't know a lot of things play a factor in this though.

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
That makes logical sense to me. I would try them both and see. It would be good knowledge to share once you found out... And its not like you'll hurt your phone.

Yes, I've been using the Faux kernel from yesterday on my Amaze with NRGZ ROM. Right now, its hard for me to say if there is any improvement or loss of battery life with this kernel as I hardly used the NRGZ rom with stock kernel.

What makes it more complicated is Faux kernel supports UV, which the stock kernel doesn't. However, I don't know if its activated by default on the faux kernel, because OC Daemon doesn't support UV on faux kernel. To make any changes, you would have to use system tuner.

Also there also isn't any straight forward method to measure the idle current drain on the phone as softwares like the current widget don't report the right numbers on Amaze. I'm thinking of purchasing BetterBatteryStats app to monitor it, as its supposedly the best software to do it. I can't base my judgement on my usage as its highly irregular to make any sort of comparison.

G

glacierguy

Yes, I've been using the Faux kernel from yesterday on my Amaze with NRGZ ROM. Right now, its hard for me to say if there is any improvement or loss of battery life with this kernel as I hardly used the NRGZ rom with stock kernel.

What makes it more complicated is Faux kernel supports UV, which the stock kernel doesn't. However, I don't know if its activated by default on the faux kernel, because OC Daemon doesn't support UV on faux kernel. To make any changes, you would have to use system tuner.

Also there also isn't any straight forward method to measure the idle current drain on the phone as softwares like the current widget don't report the right numbers on Amaze. I'm thinking of purchasing BetterBatteryStats app to monitor it, as its supposedly the best software to do it. I can't base my judgement on my usage as its highly irregular to make any sort of comparison.

There's a free app made by an xda dev called "My Battery Drain Analyser," by Waza_Be. It may work for what you're looking to test

heyodee

Sep 6, 2009
when screen is on, the battery dips like it dropped off a cliff. with that said, if the screen stay off for the most part, it should last a day. So, whichever ROM/Kernel one goes for, they are all about same. pretty much.
bigger battery capacity that fits helps

Last edited:

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
There's a free app made by an xda dev called "My Battery Drain Analyser," by Waza_Be. It may work for what you're looking to test

Yes, I almost forgot about that software...but again coming to conclusion would be hard, due to irregular usage of mine, but still some conclusion can be reached...I'll try the kernels the next couple of days to see which one is better..
when screen is on, the battery dips like it dropped off a cliff. with that said, if the screen stay off for the most part, it should last a day. So, whichever ROM/Kernel one goes for, they are all about same. pretty much.
bigger battery capacity that fits helps

I kinda agree to that :( I think the main culprit is power hungry screen, especially if you are in bright light.

G

glacierguy

Yes, I almost forgot about that software...but again coming to conclusion would be hard, due to irregular usage of mine, but still some conclusion can be reached...I'll try the kernels the next couple of days to see which one is better..

Yeah... It's all gonna vary depending on how you use it. I can get 24+ hours out of my phone if I stayed off of xda and Twitter but on the other hand I can kill the battery in 7 hours if I don't put it down

Cobra281

Mar 9, 2009
thanks for the help, fellas. so is it safe to assume that all the custom ROMs have apps2sd, as long as i have an ext4 partition(which i do, formatted thorugh CWMR) on the sd card? thanks again

bmancell

Dec 28, 2008
Ottawa
Yea I don't understand people with newer phones asking about apps2sd. The newer phones come with 16GB internal. No need for it. Love me new phone.