[Q] Crowd-funded QWERTY device

Search This thread

Sechzman

Apr 19, 2011
I've been pondering this for a while.

I'm still on my HTC Desire Z (or G2) and the one reason that keeps me from upgrading is the keyboard. I own a Nexus 7 and I've played around with the new phones and they're awesome, but the typing experience of a physical QWERTY keyboard is still simply unmatched.

I still dream of having a device with a

Full QWERTY keyboard with Z-mechanism like on the HTC I currently have
4.2" full-HD display
At least 2GB of RAM
Quad-core processor
High capacity battery
Good cameras
Full root access from factory & vanilla Android

There are a ton of cool pieces of hardware on crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and IndieGogo. I wonder how much it would cost to be able to manufacture a similar phone, with modern specs. With the right people behind it, I believe it could be a success.

I mean, these guys managed to gather 12 million:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

E-13

Mar 25, 2014
Full QWERTY keyboard with Z-mechanism like on the HTC I currently have
4.2" full-HD display
At least 2GB of RAM
Quad-core processor
High capacity battery
Good cameras
Full root access from factory & vanilla Android
Hahahaha, This is the ultimate device for some. But if this would be crowfunded. You will have alot of issues. (believe me you will)

Who's gonna manufacture it?
Who's gonna provide the software? (okay we are on a developers site but still :p)
Who's gonna be there for support?
etc.

We all want this kind of device. I only dont see it happening. But it ever is gonna exist. You have my support :)

Sechzman

Apr 19, 2011
Hahahaha, This is the ultimate device for some. But if this would be crowfunded. You will have alot of issues. (believe me you will)

Who's gonna manufacture it?
Who's gonna provide the software? (okay we are on a developers site but still :p)
Who's gonna be there for support?
etc.

We all want this kind of device. I only dont see it happening. But it ever is gonna exist. You have my support :)

Well, hey. Someone's gotta do it, and you have to start somewhere. :) Everything starts with an idea. I'm just throwing something random in the air here to see what others have to say about it.

I don't have the knowledge personally to get from start to finish, but there are plenty of people out there who do. I have no idea what it would cost, for starters, and how hard it is to get all the legal things figured out. And who knows, maybe there are agreements to be made with manufacturers.