cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
SlimKat i9100 SaberMod 4.8 Unofficial builds
Making SlimKat faster and smoother
0pvn.png

SlimROM: SaberMod toolchain 4.8
SlimKernel: SaberMod toolchain 4.7

Disclaimer
I'm not responsible for any damages on your device.

It comes from my hobby to building rom that is actually for private use and then some users found it on my goo.im. Due to some suggestions from them (rkoby13 is one of them :p), I decided to create this thread to share my builds with you.
This build is compiled using SaberMod toolchain and like the official one, it is built from the same source: Slimroms github.
I could cherry-pick some commits ahead from Slimbean team or patches from other repositories that I find useful.
The ROM and the kernel are tested by me first before I make it available online. I could have overseen something during testing, please be understand.
In summary, it is still Slimbean that is compiled with SaberMod toolchain. [...]

<<< THESE ARE UNOFFICIAL BUILDS || THE I777 IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY THE SLIM TEAM >>>

Additional changes
  • Compiled with a custom toolchain Sabermod for more performance and better battery life.
  • Compiled with the most GCC optimization level -O3.
  • Compiled with strict-aliasing compiler optimization.
  • Added patches to fix GCC strict-aliasing violation rules.
  • Added ARMv7 and Cortex-A9 optimized string handling routines for more smoothness and more memory optimization.
  • Added zzmoove governor to the SlimKernel.
  • Added some AOSP fixes and improvements.
  • Added some VanirAOSP fixes and improvements.
  • Disabled SQLite fsync to increase I/O performance.
Features summary
See here. Thanks a lot Harsha Raj!

Installation instructions
Coming from 4.1.x or 4.2.x or 4.3.x or another ROM to 4.4.x:
  • Flash a kitkat compatible CWM from here.
  • Reboot to recovery. Not to the system!
  • Full wipe: data, cache, dalvik cache.
  • Mount system and format system partition manually.
  • Flash the unofficial build.
  • Flash gapps from here.
    **slim_mini only; add other desired google apps from the playstore.
Coming from previous unofficial build:
  • Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
  • No need to re-flash gapps. Gapps will be restored back automatically by backup tool during flashing.
Known Issues
  • ART is not working on 4.8 toolchain. Booting takes time, be patient. As some users reported, ART won't work if you are using xposed framework. See xposed thread for more information.
  • Apps that are moved to sdcard won't appear on reboot.
  • Swapping internal and external sdcard is not working.
  • USB mass storage is not working.
  • Music player stops playing music from sdcard after some time. See here.
F.A.Q
See second post.

Full Changelog
afh | d-h.st

Download
<<< Download Unofficial Builds Here >>>

Credits
SlimBean - The SlimRom team
SaberMod toolchain - sparksco
Linaro toolchain - Linaro
zzmoove governor - ZaneZam
Slimbanner and signatures - kroz
ChameleonOS features - 0xD34D
Mali kernel patches - GeeckoDev

Special Thanks
@fusionjack - for putting this beautiful project together!
Fronti90 - for his great work making the SlimKat available for the i777.
HardCorePawn - for his great keeping SlimKat up to date on the i9100.
Dorimanx - for patches to disable sqlite fsync.
DHO, PrimeDirective, NuclearMistake - for awesome fixes and improvements from VanirAOSP.

Sources
https://github.com/SlimSaber

Last edited:

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
THIS POST IS A COPY OF THE I9100 FAQ, AND SOME ITEMS MAY NOT BE RELEVANT.

F.A.Q (Freaking Annoying Questions)

* Media scanner eating my battery
* CPU stuck at 1.2 GHz
* Random music player stop

For media scanner problem, try this following solution first: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47868557, also see this.
At these problems could have the same root cause: The kitkat sdcard fuse daemon issue on the Exynos 4210 family of devices. There is no fix yet. See this thread for more information.

How to check corrupt partition

I have excessive RILJ wakelocks

My recovery won't flash the 4.4 zip... aka "Status 7 error"... what do I do?
You need a kitkat compatible cwm. See installation instructions in 1st op

How to change DPI?
Currently, this feature hasn't been ported... so you'll need to install Texdroider DPI from the playstore... or edit /system/build.prop and change ro.sf.lcd_density to the desired value

Stuck at the Samsung logo
Follow this steps to get rid of the stuck and to have back your valuable data:
  • Go to recovery and make a twrp/cwm backup.
  • Do a full wipe + mount system + format system.
  • Flash the rom + gapps.
  • Reboot to rom and skip the setup wizard.
  • Go to recovery again and advance restore your data only.
  • Reboot.
My timezone is reset and it is wrong
See this workaround from rkoby13 or eskriminal here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45572515&postcount=2668

What is the difference between these builds and the official builds?
Short version: It is unofficial nightly builds whereas official one is stable and weekly builds.
Long version: It is built using the same source (github) like the official one but with these following additional changes:
What is Toolchain?

What is SaberMod?
The term "SaberMod" is coming from:
Source: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2158698

What is Linaro?

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
Built from SlimSaber Source, no changes whatsoever.

Code:
[COLOR="Red"] (                 (                         
 )\ ) (            )\ )         )            
(()/( )\(     )   (()/(    ) ( /(    (  (  [/COLOR]  
[COLOR="Orange"] /(_)|(_)\   (     /(_))( /( )\())  ))\ )(   
(_))  _((_)  )\  '(_))  )(_)|(_)\  /((_|()\  [/COLOR]
/ __|| |[COLOR="Orange"](_)_((_))[/COLOR] / __|[COLOR="orange"]((_)[/COLOR]_| |[COLOR="orange"](_)(_))  ((_) [/COLOR]
\__ \| || | '  \()\__ \/ _' | '_ \/ -_)| '_| 
|___/|_||_|_|_|_| |___/\__,_|_.__/\___||_|     

===========-Package complete-===========
zip : /home/cyril/android/slimsaber/out/target/product/i777/SlimSaber-i777-4.4.2-20140604.zip
md5 : 0d16eae33352c827f77d06f94def8f09
size: 142M
========================================

I, Cyril, am not a developer or maintainer of any sort
These are UNOFFICIAL builds, this device is no longer supported by the Slim-team.
The goal is to provide yet another Android 4.4 option for the SGH-i777.
I plan to build as time permits; no sooner than weeklies, and I'll be sure to capture stable releases.

Massive thanks to the @SteveMurphy, @razen_kain, @RenderBroken, @creepyncrawly, @4-2ndtwin, @nimper (and all of the i777 community) for the continued encouragement and support.

Speaking of community support, if the builds develop issues I will need your help finding and ironing out solutions. The biggest tip will be to see whether it's affecting the i9100 or n7000, and what they're doing about it.
If the builds start crashing, well that may be the end of SlimKat on the i777.

Please stop by the [url="http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-slimsaber-i9100-t2350201/post43247085]i9100 SlimSaber thread[/url] and show @fusionjack some thanks.
Happy Flashing
-Cyril

Screenshot_2014-06-04-07-38-31.png

Last edited:

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
I must say, I am proud of these recent achievements, and I'm very glad to be able to give BACK to the community that brought me along.

I'm just clearing a year here on xda, and as a first-time smart-phone owner, I never thought that I'd be this involved. I just wanted to get rid of the AT&T bloat, and joined because I had a few questions. Now I've got a github account, and am pushing commits, and forking projects!

I won't get too far ahead of myself, I'm still no dev, I don't know the language, and I really don't plan to go that far (although I said that once before). I owe a lot to the fact that the i9100 is SO similar.

It's a beautiful thing having people who can bring these roms to an old device, many many thanks, sir!

fusionjack

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2008
good job cyril...:good:

btw, i think you need to maintain the slimcenter ota by yourself since i don't have influence of your update frequency. :p
basically, you need to change:
concerning moving apps: there is a new feature that enables moving apps to external volume. this feature is still disabled for our device. as result, moving app is impossible for now. i'll try to enable it tonight...:fingers-crossed:
concerning scripts: in case you didn't know yet, i have some scripts that you can use to build a rom, generate changelog and send a rom to your device. see here: https://github.com/SlimSaber/scripts

desteele

Apr 8, 2011
I would echo Cyril's comments... I have an S2, and couldn't stand the AT&T version of JB. Too much crap in there...and having had a gTab before and being well-versed in getting it rooted and custom ROM's on it, I just thought it was natural to come find "this" community. Now, I have a 3-4 year old phone that runs like a champ on the cutting-edge Android...what's not to like about that?

Cyril, I've been fascinated to watch/read your journey through this, and appreciate your tenacity.

And since I'm thanking folks, thanks to SteveMurphy and razen_kain, the former for timely updates to the Res, and the latter for just answering lots of stupid questions patiently.

bondlolo

Oct 4, 2012
Excellent work with this rom, everything running great so far :D keep up with the great work!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

jackal2001

Aug 25, 2012
Bethlehem, PA
Is it possible to flash Renders CWM kernel on this rom? I'm trying it out now but my backups are in CWM, not TWRP. Also I don't think GPS is working on this rom. I tried using Waze and it keeps telling me NO GPS available.

Last edited:

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
I haven't tried Renders' CWM with this firmware, but I expect that it should work just fine.

If the concern is accessing your CWM backups, nandroid manager is also an option. It can see everything inside CWM or TWRP backups, no matter which is currently installed.

Is it possible to flash Renders CWM kernel on this rom? I'm trying it out now but my backups are in CWM, not TWRP.

jackal2001

Aug 25, 2012
Bethlehem, PA
I haven't tried Renders' CWM with this firmware, but I expect that it should work just fine.

If the concern is accessing your CWM backups, nandroid manager is also an option. It can see everything inside CWM or TWRP backups, no matter which is currently installed.

Thanks for pointing me to that app. I'm assuming can you restore an entire nandroid backup from that app no matter what recovery is installed. I don't really care about extracting apps from the backups. I want to do a complete nandoid recovery.

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
Thanks for pointing me to that app. I'm assuming can you restore an entire nandroid backup from that app no matter what recovery is installed. I don't really care about extracting apps from the backups. I want to do a complete nandoid recovery.

If you're only looking to restore a complete nandroid, I would suggest something more like your original plan:
reboot to recovery > install RB_cwm_kernel > reboot to recovery > restore cwm backup.

I'm not a fan of relying on apps and their scripts to restore complete nandroids.
It's a great app for managing nandroids, thanks to @razen_kain for pointing it out to me.

-Cyril

Poorboyrichy

Sep 19, 2011
Mandeville
@cyril279 does this mean that your development/maintenance of SlimKat weeklies is on pause or has ended? Just want to know if we should switch over to SlimSaber instead of waiting on further development of the SlimKat.

Btw... Tried SlimSaber pretty nifty :laugh: but some features I prefer from SlimKat so I'm back to SlimKat for now...

Keep up the good work though :good:

razen_kain

Jan 28, 2013
Carthage
I've been getting some really great battery life AND performance on this ROM for a couple days. Battery keeps getting better and there has not been one single hiccup since the first boot. Running stock kernel BTW. Thanks for this Cyril! I can really tell a difference with the saber mod tool chain. Probably going to dd this one for a while. Tried to talk the wife into it but she's a resurrection remix girl now :D

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
I will definitely continue building SlimKat weekly.

Just not this next week. Not for either firmware.

I would like to know, more specifically, what you prefer about slimkat.

@cyril279 does this mean that your development/maintenance of SlimKat weeklies is on pause or has ended? Just want to know if we should switch over to SlimSaber instead of waiting on further development of the SlimKat.

Btw... Tried SlimSaber pretty nifty :laugh: but some features I prefer from SlimKat so I'm back to SlimKat for now...

Keep up the good work though :good:

Poorboyrichy

Sep 19, 2011
Mandeville
Thinking about it now it's only 2 things i can remember that sent me back to SlimKat for now.

1. I didn't find the option for me to select which home option I'd like to choose (Simple issue yes I know)
2. I wasn't getting any other account to sync after google accounts were added.

I think there might have been something else, but I'd have to flash again to see what it was.

I will definitely continue building SlimKat weekly.

Just not this next week. Not for either firmware.

I would like to know, more specifically, what you prefer about slimkat.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
"home option"?
I'm not clear on what home options you're looking for.
I'm not aware of any functional difference in-between the two firmwares, only SMDK4210 specific optimizations, but I could be wrong.

settings > device [Home] > {choose launcher}?
-or maybe -
settings > advanced settings [Navigation} > Hardware Buttons > Home Key {options}?

Regarding account sync issues, the only time I had problems was the result of dirty-flashing.

Either way, whether OG Slim, or Super-charged Slim, you can't go wrong!
-Cyril

Thinking about it now it's only 2 things i can remember that sent me back to SlimKat for now.

1. I didn't find the option for me to select which home option I'd like to choose (Simple issue yes I know)
2. I wasn't getting any other account to sync after google accounts were added. [...]

Poorboyrichy

Sep 19, 2011
Mandeville
Yes it relates to choosing the launcher that I wanted to use. I hadn't seen that option. Or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place....

"home option"?
I'm not clear on what home options you're looking for.
I'm not aware of any functional difference in-between the two firmwares, only SMDK4210 specific optimizations, but I could be wrong.

settings > device [Home] > {choose launcher}?
-or maybe -
settings > advanced settings [Navigation} > Hardware Buttons > Home Key {options}?

Regarding account sync issues, the only time I had problems was the result of dirty-flashing.

Either way, whether OG Slim, or Super-charged Slim, you can't go wrong!
-Cyril

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimKat i9100 SaberMod 4.8 Unofficial builds
    Making SlimKat faster and smoother
    0pvn.png

SlimROM: SaberMod toolchain 4.8
    SlimKernel: SaberMod toolchain 4.7

Disclaimer
    I'm not responsible for any damages on your device.

It comes from my hobby to building rom that is actually for private use and then some users found it on my goo.im. Due to some suggestions from them (rkoby13 is one of them :p), I decided to create this thread to share my builds with you.
    This build is compiled using SaberMod toolchain and like the official one, it is built from the same source: Slimroms github.
    I could cherry-pick some commits ahead from Slimbean team or patches from other repositories that I find useful.
    The ROM and the kernel are tested by me first before I make it available online. I could have overseen something during testing, please be understand.
    In summary, it is still Slimbean that is compiled with SaberMod toolchain. [...]

<<< THESE ARE UNOFFICIAL BUILDS || THE I777 IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY THE SLIM TEAM >>>

Additional changes
    • Compiled with a custom toolchain Sabermod for more performance and better battery life.
    • Compiled with the most GCC optimization level -O3.
    • Compiled with strict-aliasing compiler optimization.
    • Added patches to fix GCC strict-aliasing violation rules.
    • Added ARMv7 and Cortex-A9 optimized string handling routines for more smoothness and more memory optimization.
    • Added zzmoove governor to the SlimKernel.
    • Added some AOSP fixes and improvements.
    • Added some VanirAOSP fixes and improvements.
    • Disabled SQLite fsync to increase I/O performance.
    Features summary
    See here. Thanks a lot Harsha Raj!

Installation instructions
    Coming from 4.1.x or 4.2.x or 4.3.x or another ROM to 4.4.x:
    • Flash a kitkat compatible CWM from here.
    • Reboot to recovery. Not to the system!
    • Full wipe: data, cache, dalvik cache.
    • Mount system and format system partition manually.
    • Flash gapps from here.
      **slim_mini only; add other desired google apps from the playstore.
    Coming from previous unofficial build:
    • Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
    • No need to re-flash gapps. Gapps will be restored back automatically by backup tool during flashing.
    Known Issues
    • ART is not working on 4.8 toolchain. Booting takes time, be patient. As some users reported, ART won't work if you are using xposed framework. See xposed thread for more information.
    • Apps that are moved to sdcard won't appear on reboot.
    • Swapping internal and external sdcard is not working.
    • USB mass storage is not working.
    • Music player stops playing music from sdcard after some time. See here.
    F.A.Q
    See second post.

Full Changelog
    afh | d-h.st

Download

Credits
    SlimBean - The SlimRom team
    SaberMod toolchain - sparksco
    Linaro toolchain - Linaro
    zzmoove governor - ZaneZam
    Slimbanner and signatures - kroz
    ChameleonOS features - 0xD34D
    Mali kernel patches - GeeckoDev

Special Thanks
    @fusionjack - for putting this beautiful project together!
    Fronti90 - for his great work making the SlimKat available for the i777.
    HardCorePawn - for his great keeping SlimKat up to date on the i9100.
    Dorimanx - for patches to disable sqlite fsync.
    DHO, PrimeDirective, NuclearMistake - for awesome fixes and improvements from VanirAOSP.

Sources
    https://github.com/SlimSaber

Built from SlimSaber Source, no changes whatsoever.

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"] (                 (                         
     )\ ) (            )\ )         )            
    (()/( )\(     )   (()/(    ) ( /(    (  (  [/COLOR]  
    [COLOR="Orange"] /(_)|(_)\   (     /(_))( /( )\())  ))\ )(   
    (_))  _((_)  )\  '(_))  )(_)|(_)\  /((_|()\  [/COLOR]
    / __|| |[COLOR="Orange"](_)_((_))[/COLOR] / __|[COLOR="orange"]((_)[/COLOR]_| |[COLOR="orange"](_)(_))  ((_) [/COLOR]
    \__ \| || | '  \()\__ \/ _' | '_ \/ -_)| '_| 
    |___/|_||_|_|_|_| |___/\__,_|_.__/\___||_|     

zip : /home/cyril/android/slimsaber/out/target/product/i777/SlimSaber-i777-4.4.2-20140604.zip
    md5 : 0d16eae33352c827f77d06f94def8f09
    size: 142M

I, Cyril, am not a developer or maintainer of any sort
    These are UNOFFICIAL builds, this device is no longer supported by the Slim-team.
    The goal is to provide yet another Android 4.4 option for the SGH-i777.
    I plan to build as time permits; no sooner than weeklies, and I'll be sure to capture stable releases.

Massive thanks to the @SteveMurphy, @razen_kain, @RenderBroken, @creepyncrawly, @4-2ndtwin, @nimper (and all of the i777 community) for the continued encouragement and support.

Speaking of community support, if the builds develop issues I will need your help finding and ironing out solutions. The biggest tip will be to see whether it's affecting the i9100 or n7000, and what they're doing about it.
    If the builds start crashing, well that may be the end of SlimKat on the i777.

Please stop by the [url="http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-slimsaber-i9100-t2350201/post43247085]i9100 SlimSaber thread[/url] and show @fusionjack some thanks.
    Happy Flashing
    -Cyril

Screenshot_2014-06-04-07-38-31.png
    <<< New Build Posted >>>

Changes:
    • Remove Koush Superuser and integrate Chainfire SuperSU
      Root should still work fine with dirty flashing. Otherwise do a full wipe.
      The apps need to be re-granted again because they are granted in superuser and now it is not there anymore.
    • Remove Launcher3 and use NovaLauncher instead
      It seems like moar and moar users have trouble to add home screen, remove app icon, etc with default Launcher3
    • rom: Compiled with latest SM toolchain 4.8.4
    • kernel: Compiled with SM toolchain 4.9.2
    • libcore: Optimize array copy operation
    • libcore: Prevent apps abusing garbage collector
    • libcore: Latest AOSP fixes
    • frameworks/base: Show statusbar icon if quiet hours is active
    • frameworks/base: Remove home button delay
    • frameworks/base: Latest AOSP hwui fixes
    • See changelog for the rest of changes

Changes:
    • Synced with official build 6.9
    • Patched Fake ID security vulnerability
    • Improved some math operations for more performance
    • Reboot menu: Bring back the 'ok' and 'cancel' buttons
    • Statusbar: Make double tap gesture configurable
    • Show heads up at the bottom of the screen
    • SlimActions: Add new actions and cleanup
    • See changelog for the rest of changes
    e9a4ubes.jpg

zip : /home/cyril/android/slimsaber/out/target/product/i777/SlimSaber-i777-4.4.4-20140730.zip
    md5 : 335a5454fd6d59989f5f0db0314f9e1d
    size: 145M
    <<< New Build Posted >>>

Changes:

***zeitferne FPBug patchset implemented

i just released a new build mainly to integrate FPBug fixes in the kernel and revert L style because this doesn't work nice on i9100.
    ...and sorry for not visit this thread frequently because these days i'm so busy with a lot of stuff :(

No worries fusionjack, I've been quite busy with my own life, and we're simply glad that you're still developing for the s2. Happy Holidays!
    i just released a new build mainly to integrate FPBug fixes in the kernel and revert L style because this doesn't work nice on i9100.
    ...and sorry for not visit this thread frequently because these days i'm so busy with a lot of stuff :(