New S4, ADB question...root

Search This thread

wetwaterdog

Apr 4, 2011
I have a new S4 with baseband MK2. I am getting ready to do the root etc. but I was testing ADB first to make sure it works.

I have installed the latest USB drivers, and turned debug on in the S4

I get get adb to launch, but when I use the command "ADB devices" nothing shows up.
I have rebooted both PC and phone with the same results.

Question,
Does the phone need to be rooted before ADB will work? If so....then how to I side load "Towelroot"? or anything else for that matter.
am I missing some sdk files...or something else?

Thanks

jawmail

Nov 14, 2011
I have a new S4 with baseband MK2. I am getting ready to do the root etc. but I was testing ADB first to make sure it works.

I have installed the latest USB drivers, and turned debug on in the S4

I get get adb to launch, but when I use the command "ADB devices" nothing shows up.
I have rebooted both PC and phone with the same results.

Question,
Does the phone need to be rooted before ADB will work? If so....then how to I side load "Towelroot"? or anything else for that matter.
am I missing some sdk files...or something else?

Thanks

Usually when nothing shows up at all it's a driver issue. What drivers did you install where did you get them. Windows right?
Edit : root not required.

Last edited:

wetwaterdog

Apr 4, 2011
Usually when nothing shows up at all it's a driver issue. What drivers did you install where did you get them. Windows right?
Edit : root not required.

Got the drivers from samsung site...latest ver 1.5.45. phone connects to windows computer and displays directories so I know the USB driver is ok.
I did some more looking and am updating my sdk devices right now. I expect that to correct the problem.

jawmail

Nov 14, 2011
Got the drivers from samsung site...latest ver 1.5.45. phone connects to windows computer and displays directories so I know the USB driver is ok.
I did some more looking and am updating my sdk devices right now. I expect that to correct the problem.

Drivers are good then, update your SDK like you said and try again. It should work after that, I don't have an S4 but they're all the same when it comes to ADB and fastboot. Good luck.

wetwaterdog

Apr 4, 2011
Drivers are good then, update your SDK like you said and try again. It should work after that, I don't have an S4 but they're all the same when it comes to ADB and fastboot. Good luck.

Yup....sdk's installed and all is well.....

I sure wish I knew exactly which downloads to take from the SDK download manager....
I played it safe with the 4.3 and 4.4. I didn't know if the updates were progressive (included all past needed stuff) or just specific for the version.