[MOD] Lego dock (using pogo pins)

Search This thread

Tibow

Dec 19, 2011
Inspired by 4Pr3mier from this post

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497881

Sorry for the pics, it's kinda not pretty but best I could manage with what I had around:

Here's 1 pic with the phone on the dock : took picture with 3GS's phone, quality is ****ty, will try to get more later:

photo.jpg

Others photos have been made with Gnex's with flash:

IMG_20120218_172922.jpg

IMG_20120218_172933.jpg

IMG_20120218_173203.jpg

IMG_20120218_173209.jpg

IMG_20120218_173243.jpg

I've been using regular boards pins : used some scissors to reduce their width (did that randomly until it was fitting inside the lego bricks).

Then used a hammer to make two holes on top of a lego brick, evaluated where holes have to be only with eyes. First brick was a fail and gap between pins was too wide, 2nd try was good.

Linked the 2 wires from a wall charger to the pins (need to attach 'em more seriously (with some duct tape) as it's only wrapped around atm).

Then tested and it's charging instantly... (info on phone show that it's "usb charging")

Will probably add some floor so it'll maintains pins in position even if I move around the dock

Yay ;-)

frogskins

Feb 11, 2011
You said you were going to do it. Looks great. My question is: why does using the pogo pins charge at USB rates? Not a deal breaker for me but I would have expected AC charging mode. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Tibow

Dec 19, 2011
You said you were going to do it. Looks great. My question is: why does using the pogo pins charge at USB rates? Not a deal breaker for me but I would have expected AC charging mode. Any ideas?

I didn't said I would do it!

It seems you always get usb charging if u use the pogo pins, so no choice about that.

For the desk mode, well night clock (free app) can turn the phone automatically into a clock when charged and support landscape view... imho it's still pretty limited.

But I guess this lego dock can sit on the desk at my office to get some juice during day (+ that will make coworkers talk).

Anyway I'll probably get a desktop official dock whenever they are out (I'm not 100% sure if my dock is risk-free (use of board pins, use of a wall charger for pogo pins) : any input on risks will be welcome ;p

frogskins

Feb 11, 2011
I didn't said I would do it.

My mistake. I thought it was you in another thread that said they were going to make a dock out out of Legos.

As for the pogos only charging at USB rates, that seems a little short sighted on Samsung's part. There are numerous threads on here about using navigation/LTE on USB charging and the charger can't keep up. Maybe that's why Verizon's car dock does not have pogo pins and opts for the USB connection.

Last edited:

chidychi

Jan 10, 2012
Dundas
My mistake. I thought it was you in another thread that said they were going to make a dock out out of Legos.

As for the pogos only charging at USB rates, that seems a little short sighted on Samsung's part. There are numerous threads on here about using navigation/LTE on USB charging and the charger can't keep up. Maybe that's why Verizon's car dock does not have pogo pins and opts for the USB connection.

I was thinking the same thing about Samsung not releasing the GSM docks. Maybe they are trying to find a way to make pogo charge at 1A...

falsehope66

Feb 12, 2010
Toronto
I use an app called DeskHome by Cowbell Software. It launches the dock app or any app you want when plugged into a charger. It hasn't been updated since I used it on my Nexus One but it works great with my Galaxy Nexus.

brunnogama

Apr 7, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Hey man!

Really good idea!

Congrats!

So, I have a Xoom´s dock. I dont know anything about pogo pins, execpt they have it.

My question: Can I use the pogo pins form Xoom to charge my GN? (I´ll change place to make it fit on GN).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Inspired by 4Pr3mier from this post

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497881

Sorry for the pics, it's kinda not pretty but best I could manage with what I had around:

Here's 1 pic with the phone on the dock : took picture with 3GS's phone, quality is ****ty, will try to get more later:

photo.jpg

Others photos have been made with Gnex's with flash:

IMG_20120218_172922.jpg

IMG_20120218_172933.jpg

IMG_20120218_173203.jpg

IMG_20120218_173209.jpg

IMG_20120218_173243.jpg

I've been using regular boards pins : used some scissors to reduce their width (did that randomly until it was fitting inside the lego bricks).

Then used a hammer to make two holes on top of a lego brick, evaluated where holes have to be only with eyes. First brick was a fail and gap between pins was too wide, 2nd try was good.

Linked the 2 wires from a wall charger to the pins (need to attach 'em more seriously (with some duct tape) as it's only wrapped around atm).

Then tested and it's charging instantly... (info on phone show that it's "usb charging")

Will probably add some floor so it'll maintains pins in position even if I move around the dock

Yay ;-)
    my kid is sitting on the floor in front of me playing with his lego, i asked him to make me a stand. he said "maybe" (kids are so lazy)
    I make a dock with knex long time ago, for my samsung galaxy spica and for my bq verne, some pics
    2012-03-08-181025.jpg

IMG_20120308_174841.jpg

IMG_20120308_174918.jpg

IMG_20120308_180332.jpg
    Nice work, if only it enabled dock mode.

Wouldn't a NFC tag and Tasker be able to solve that?