[How To] Flash ICS ROMs with S-ON Unlocked

Search This thread

CoNsPiRiSiZe

Jul 14, 2010
Roseville
@"cj chitwood"

I followed this thread. My point in posting my experience was that *IT APPEARS* I didn't need to flash the ROM... I just used command "fastboot boot boot.img" and it did its thing. Idk what happened to make that happen but how I read the OP guide it doesn't seem it means to work like that. :eek:

So what I did. I have ADB/Fastboot setup in a folder on my C: drive. I put the extracted boot.img from the ROM of my choice into that folder and hooked up my phone to my laptop.
I then booted into Fastboot mode and used the Fastboot command as described in OP. After that my phone went into "Know-it-all" mode and just booted up the ROM.

If I need to clarify I can as I wrote this from memory. :cool:

Just my spare change.

CoNsPiRiSiZe

Jul 14, 2010
Roseville
OOOOOPPPPPPPPPS

I was wrong!!! :eek:

i forgot the word flash when i kept typing "fastboot boot boot.img"

oops haahaha disregard whatever i said CJ :eek:

yellowjacket1981

Mar 12, 2011
Tucson, Az
So, I can confirm this works. My boyfriend recently had his phone stolen, and the insurance replacement had the new hboot on it. He is very new to rooting and roming, and thought he could do things like he did on the old hboot. He restored a back up of bulletproof, and everything was messed up. He was cursing and damning his phone, when in reality it was him not doing his research that caused the problems.:rolleyes: He finally in desperation decided to let me fix it. I flashed the kernel through fastboot, and now everything is working peachy keen. Thanks for making me look like an Android god/ bad ass to my newb boyfriend. :cool:

Reactions: homeboy773

homeboy773

May 6, 2011
ChicagO
:p;):D:p:):cool:WORKED!!! I love this! I unlocked boot loader with all in one kit, but it didnt want to root my phone. So I seen this and said wth. Tried it the first time and it didnt work it just stayed in a boot loop. Well IM guessing thats because the first rom must not have been ICs so i went back and downloaded a rom that I knew was ICS and tried it once more ...It rebooted with the mytouch screen then went to a black screen wTh? Oh no....a second later ALL TYPES OF COLORS YES!! ICS lol and it ROOTED my phone!? I say that becuase i couldnt root before no matter what even having recovery it wouldnt grant SU , but with doing this it rooted , THANK GOSH! lol
THANKS GUYS.

HB

mannyftw

Jan 11, 2011
Wow, thank you so much. I was seriously about to give up on this, but I decided to give it one more go and I finally got CM9 on my phone. Still have S-On though.

E:\update-cm-9.0.0-alpha3-doubleshot-signed>fastboot flash
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external com
operable program or batch file.

What i m doing wrong ?????

Not knowing how to use dos is 1 thing.

When in dos and you run a command, the system first look in the folder that you're running the command from for that command, and if it does not find it and it has a list of directories in which to look for the command. This list of directories is called the path variable. What I recommend, is that you find where your fastboot.exe file is, and add the location of that file to your system path variable. If you do not know how to do this, I recommend you try google because it's a common enough thing that the answer should be easy to find.

Alternatively, you can put a copy of the fastboot.exe file in the directory where your flashable image is located and run the command from that directory. The problem with this method, while it works, is that you will need a copy of the fastboot.exe file in whatever directory you run it from every time you run it.

--
Posted from Twitchie, my CyanogenMOD 9 powered HTC DoubleShot

Last edited:
Reactions: sofyanator

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
UPDATE your thread title, OP

You really should add this is the same procedure for flashing a kernel, theme, or any rom for those with S-ON Unlocked, HBOOT 1.45.0013! It would really help the new guys;) I figured it out quickly but it would have saved me some time lol:D

misha

Aug 21, 2006
phone htc doubleshot

Hello,

I have had the worst time trying to get my wife's t-mob mytouch 4g slide to go anywhere from stock crappy rom..... with very little progress.

I feel comfortable doing all of the rooting/updating kind of stuff... I have been running CM roms starting from g1 to my current htc sensation running cm9.....

BUT... this phone I can not get anywhere.

The phone has hboot_1.45.0013 and I have unlocked the boot loader via htc tool.

The method in this thread (get for example cm9 alpha for doubleshot and extract boot.img) seems to not work for me.

1st I can get fasboot to get the boot.img in but after I flash recovery 5.0.2.7 it seems to not work, therefore I can not flash full build or kernel or anything else.....

2nd the recovery shows up with all menu options on the screen but none of them work... clockword recovery logo image appears for every option I select.

Please any advice on how to get to any other state other than the one I am in.....

Thank you in advance,
Mike O.

misha

Aug 21, 2006
I am used to pressing power button for selection since I do it often on my htc pyramid phone recovery. I know that there was no action after pressing power button for selection on my wifes mytouch 4g slide.

thanks for advice.... I think that recovery just does not install correctly or something like that. I did try to install several times via fastboot.

With this recovery you select with the power button, not the trackball.

If you didn't get an error with the fastboot part, it probably worked fine. Try the power button instead of the trackball in recovery and see if that doesn't solve this for you...

(had the same problem myself)

misha

Aug 21, 2006
For those who are successful at taking unrooted 1.45.0013 hboot phone with unlocked boot loader and applying any rom via method described in this thread, can someone put down steps they took including getting recovery in to the phone please.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jaxidian

Sep 19, 2010
Indianapolis
For those who are successful at taking unrooted 1.45.0013 hboot phone with unlocked boot loader and applying any rom via method described in this thread, can someone put down steps they took including getting recovery in to the phone please.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Once you've unlocked, all you have to do is one of the following:

To test once and once only (I advise you do this prior to flashing it - it's akin to a boot disk without actually installing anything to permanent storage):
Code:
fastboot boot myrecovery.img

To actually flash it to your phone:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery myrecovery.img

Ultimately, I followed this thread but I skipped the part about flashing the PG59IMG.zip.

Last edited:

the.hagop

Jan 24, 2011
WOO HOO!!!

Gitty-up!!! Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-01-17-45-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-01-17-45-00.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 191

butch87402

Feb 8, 2010
hartford
ok so this method is to flash ics roms
theyre nice and polished and all but not really working that great for me
how do i get back to gingerbread
i tried to flask mik deoxed rom and it just sits at the mt4gs screen
help anyone ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This only really applies to those with S-ON Unlocked, HBOOT 1.45.0013. Once we figure out how to get S-OFF on all phones, this guide will become unneeded! In the meantime, this is here for those of us that are S-ON but want to play with ICS. :)

THIS TUTORIAL ALSO APPLIES TO ANY CUSTOM ROMS THAT REQUIRE A CUSTOM KERNEL.

If you're S-ON LOCKED, go HERE and UNLOCK your phone!

I'm assuming you have
    • Fastboot set up as a PATH, or copied to the folder you are extracting boot.img to
    • HTC Drivers installed
    • Clockwork Recovery

1.) Grab your ROM of choice.
    2.) Open up your ROM in 7zip or another file compression program.
    3.) Extract the "boot.img" file that's inside to a folder.
    4.) Open the command prompt and go to the folder you extracted the "boot.img" file too.

lT7K0.jpg

"cd" in the command prompt stands for "change directory", so you will need to type that before the path to where your boot.img file is located.

5.) Reboot your phone into fastboot mode. To do this, turn off your phone by holding down the "Volume down" and "Power" buttons until the fastboot screen arrives. There should be three Androids on skateboards on the bottom.
    6.) Press the power button once on the "fastboot" option. Your phone should now connect to the computer and it should say "fastboot usb" on your phone.
    7.) In the command prompt, type the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    8.) Assuming you've done everything properly, this will overwrite the existing kernel on your phone with the kernel that comes with your ROM.
    9.) Now, reboot your phone into Recovery. At this point, flash your ROM by flashing the zip file.
    10.) Reboot and enjoy your new ROM!

Thanks to Blue6IX for telling me how to do this and to yogi2010 for making me realize I forgot to tell people to actually flash the ROM itself. Figured I'd make a guide for those that didn't know about it since it's probably hidden somewhere underneath pages and pages of comments on other ROMs.
    We should just get you and Blue moderator status lol

This thread's been reported!

And thusly stickied. Voila!
    probably worth stickying for a while till we get to know how to downgrade to an s-offable state?
    YESSSSS!!! But got damn I can't wait until S-OFF is a reality. This sucks lol but its better than having Tmobile take over ym phone with retarded apps. Thanks to all you DEV dudes who work hard for this device..

We'll nail it eventually. It's a tough nut to crack, but at least along the way we found a temporary fix.

We can now go back to S-ON from S-OFF, and the standard response to how to do that for the longest time was 'it's not possible'. Anything is possible with the right amount of effort invested. I am sure we'll come up with some more goodies along the way...some are brewing even now.

I've made S-ON to S-OFF my life's work until it's done, and have mostly given up on everything else I was working on to achieve that end.

There are a few other devs who have been spending a lot of time on this as well, and we are working together and unraveling the issue one layer at a time.

We'll get it, but it's the toughest nut to crack - the manufacturer is doing whatever they can to prevent us from being able to do so...there is a specific effort to block us from doing it that must be overcome.

Meantime, since we don't have a real RUU for this phone on any software version, the search for one came back with the leaked copy of the OTA as an official signed HTC package. ( To me it seemed like a consolation prize after the exhausting search for an RUU...didn't get one, but got at least this )

I'm glad someone went ahead and made a guide for people to use it to at least get unlocked since HTC broke the OTA they actually pushed over-the-air, this package is what it was supposed to be.

Hang in there, we'll get all you guys S-OFFed as soon as we can!
    Will this method work for all of the ROMs we have here for the mt4gs? One I have been looking at is Bulletproof. If I use the same technique you've explained, will I get the same end result?

yep, it will work!