[ROOT][apk]{TowelRoot}[4.4.2] Does not trip KNOX and does not touch bootloader

Search This thread

bfikkert

Sep 7, 2009
Rotterdam
Used towel root yesterday and it worked like a breeze.

Will I trip knox if I install cwm know?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

djangosteen

Sep 7, 2013
Jakarta
From the nature of the vulnerability used by TowelRoot to obtain root, I am fairly sure it would work. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. I haven't seen it used on n9000 however.

1) is there any scenario where this root method tripping the KNOX?

2) can you update the version of the Android to the latest one after rooting your device? (i.e Note 3 soon will getting the 4.4.3 update or something)

Sorry for stupid question, just a new guy in these stuffs.

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
1) is there any scenario where this root method tripping the KNOX?

2) can you update the version of the Android to the latest one after rooting your device? (i.e Note 3 soon will getting the 4.4.3 update or something)

Sorry for stupid question, just a new guy in these stuffs.

• To answer your first question: i rooted my phone and my friends n9005`s and none of them got KNOX tripped. (7 in number, 8 with mine) Also from what I read on other forums/threads, no KNOX trips wore reported till this point in time. (even Geohot - the creator of the root - says it is safe so far, as no one reported tripped KNOX after root, but like any things related to root, you take a risk when you do it)

• As for the second question: if samsung identifies the vulnerability, root will most probably be lost. Also it depends on the type of the update, if it wipes the system or it patches it. Most likely root will be lost. Maybe a new vulnerability will be found (or is fond just not released, and won`t be fixed in the update), and thus we will be able to root again, who knows. :)

(it`s ok to not do the update instantly when it comes out, and just wait for other people to tell you if root is lost or not during the update. That`s the best course of action, since you can decide if you want the update or not later on.)

bfikkert

Sep 7, 2009
Rotterdam
I know the feeling. Still root is better than nothing ^_^

I know... but this is the only Android device (I have six. 2 tables 3 phones and one tv stick) that is not running on a custom rom. A the other devices are simple to unroot and don't have that stupid knox.

Mayby I have to stop caring about not tripping knox and just do it. ..

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
aye

I know... but this is the only Android device (I have six. 2 tables 3 phones and one tv stick) that is not running on a custom rom. A the other devices are simple to unroot and don't have that stupid knox.

Mayby I have to stop caring about not tripping knox and just do it. ..

:) well I noticed you are from Rotterdam, so since you are in the EU, technically speaking, SAMSUNG is obligated to provide you WARRANTY for 2 years for the HARDWARE, so as long as you don`t brick it when you flash it, they are obligated by the EU directive 1999/44/CE to repair it, or change it, or give you your money back :)

You can google / read up on the laws, and if you feel ok, then I see no issue with voiding KNOX. After all to me it`s more of an enterprise feature... (or good feature if you value security)

As for actually damaging the phone via software, in general if you know what you are doing you are safe. Just note that the law refers to the hardware. So if something was not made to spec or was damaged from factory, even if it worked, for 2 years the company must make sure all the hardware holds up to the spec. You lose WARRANTY if you do damage that is imputable to you. That`s why if you brick it and you send it to WARRANTY they charge you and don`t fix it under WARRANTY.

To be honest, I treat KNOX like a girl treats her virginity :p

Last edited:
Reactions: C.E.O

Nazyras

Oct 20, 2008
Kaunas
Hi,

towelRoot has worked for me. Now I've made HardReset, and still have Root, but System status is Custom (Knox is 0x0). How can I get back System status Official?

Regards!

H.

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
Hi,

towelRoot has worked for me. Now I've made HardReset, and still have Root, but System status is Custom (Knox is 0x0). How can I get back System status Official?

Regards!

H.

• Your system status should have remained official. Was it to official before you used TowelRoot What did you do after you obtained root?

• To unroot, simply install Chainfire`s SU from playstore, and in the settings you have an option to unroot.

• To answer your second question, one way to regain your system to official, is to flash an official ROM to your phone. Make sure it`s an official version. (you can browse a lot of official ROMS on sammobile.com, try to get one that has the same CSC as your phone. You will need to flash it via ODIN however)

Last edited:

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
How can i sim unlock my uk note 3 is there a tutorial please thanks

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
i rooted my n9005 with this tool and my phone got "custom" status and no updates. well, that´s not my concern. the problem is that rooting disables miracast (or allsharecast, screen mirror, whatever...) and video share in group play. is there any way to solve these issues? i don't care having a "custom" status or sh*t knox tripped

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
i rooted my n9005 with this tool and my phone got "custom" status and no updates. well, that´s not my concern. the problem is that rooting disables miracast (or allsharecast, screen mirror, whatever...) and video share in group play. is there any way to solve these issues? i don't care having a "custom" status or sh*t knox tripped

Can you tell me please what version of android you are running on and the kernel number / date?

PS: also note that if you got a custom system status, it means something messed around with your system binaries, or kernel.

Last edited:

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
KK 4.4.2 official n9005xxuend3

kernel 3.4.0-1168347dpi@SWDD5623 #1 MON APR 14 17:32:48 KST 2014

By the way, thanks

EDITED: Watch the next post, before trying this one.

Hmm, I would suggest trying to install another official RON, via odin, and then rooting.

Since you have an XX (multi-css) ROM, and I presume your phone is from Netherlands, you maybe can try and flash the ROM I am on (link here) or another unlocked ROM from any of this country`s Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Romania, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom.

The take-away here being for the ROM to have multi CSC, so you don`t lose your sales codes.

This is the link for your current ROM, untouched:
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=SM-N9005&pcode=PHN#firmware

LE:

If you decide to try this, please come back and post your results. This should get you back to official status.
Please note that this will wipe your device.
Also you may try to do a factory reset, and see if you get rid of the custom status.

Last edited:

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
TRY THIS:

Hmm, I would suggest trying to install another official RON, via odin, and then rooting.

Since you have an XX (multi-css) ROM, and I presume your phone is from Netherlands, you maybe can try and flash the ROM I am on (link here) or another unlocked ROM from any of this country`s Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Romania, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom.

The take-away here being for the ROM to have multi CSC, so you don`t lose your sales codes.

This is the link for your current ROM, untouched:
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=SM-N9005&pcode=PHN#firmware

LE:

If you decide to try this, please come back and post your results. This should get you back to official status.
Please note that this will wipe your device.
Also you may try to do a factory reset, and see if you get rid of the custom status.

Before doing anything else, enter BOOT-LOADER (from power off, power on while pressing volume up + home) and do a Cache Wipe.

See if this will solve the Custom status. Please reply here if it does. Thanks!

Last edited:

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
Hi,

Regards!

H.

You can try and enter BOOT-LOADER (from power off, power on while pressing volume up + home) and do a Cache Wipe.

See if this will solve the Custom status. Please reply here if it does. Thanks!

BluBBa

Jun 23, 2007
Hey guys, towelroot worked for me as well but I have a few questions about root apps which can possibly turn the Firmware Status into CUSTOM.

I froze most System apps from Samsung but now I wanna make Google Maps into a System Apps so I can greenify them.

So far nothing has changed, my device still shows "official" as well as "knox 0"
(Greenifynon-pro, TiBu Freezes, Adaway, Xposed Wanam)

But I'm afraid deleting a System app (by converting it into a User-App fro Greenify) is going to trip the Firmware Status or even Knox?.
(I wanna do that to Dropbox and Google music etc. as well)

Has anyone tried this out successfully?

Top Liked Posts