[Q] SM-N9000W major problem help

Search This thread

tedmonddo

Mar 19, 2014
Oakville, ON
Hi all, I'm new to XDA so hopefully someone can help me. I purchased a brand new unlocked note 3 N9000W8 in canada from a cellphone store on Monday Morning. The phone was great and worked without a hitch and had android 4.3 on it.
Later on during the day, there were numerous news headlines regarding a 4.4.2 was officially released. So i decided to do the software update. With failed attempts with the message "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available"

I checked my Settings > about device > status > device status and it states custom or modified. I am unsure how this is possible thinking it was a brand new phone. After some in depth reading i powered off the phone and check the android download mode (power, home button vol down key combo).

It states device status: custom, firmware: custom, knox 0x1 (which meant my warranty was gone essentially). I proceeded to call the shop i purchased the phone at, and the manager said they buy the phones from the distributor which unlocks them before it gets in their hands. so it must have been rooted prior to me receiving the phone.
Long story short...i know its been quite the reading already my appologies. I used samsung KIES to backup the phone and it updated it back to the stock firmware 4.4.2. I was prepared to loose the root as i dont need it. More concerned about the warranty. With the device and firmware status back to original i can now do OTA updates, however

Problem i have now is after the factory firmware upgrade to stock, my sim no longer works on the network. Seems as if the device has a sim lock, but it never asked for one. A local cellphone shop in st.catharines said there might be an issue with the baseband after the official update.

before the update, i tried all the suggestions such as unmounting the sd card, wiping cache, using supersu to unroot.

Can anyone chime in on what the problem may be? I go to school here, so if all else fails i will have to go back to toronto where i purchased it, and have them figure it out. just a hassle for me to get there without a car.

Last edited:

ssgoku129

May 10, 2012
Hi all, I'm new to XDA so hopefully someone can help me. I purchased a brand new unlocked note 3 N9000W8 in canada from a cellphone store on Monday Morning. The phone was great and worked without a hitch and had android 4.3 on it.
Later on during the day, there were numerous news headlines regarding a 4.4.2 was officially released. So i decided to do the software update. With failed attempts with the message "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available"

I checked my Settings > about device > status > device status and it states custom or modified. I am unsure how this is possible thinking it was a brand new phone. After some in depth reading i powered off the phone and check the android download mode (power, home button vol down key combo).

It states device status: custom, firmware: custom, knox 0x1 (which meant my warranty was gone essentially). I proceeded to call the shop i purchased the phone at, and the manager said they buy the phones from the distributor which unlocks them before it gets in their hands. so it must have been rooted prior to me receiving the phone.
Long story short...i know its been quite the reading already my appologies. I used samsung KIES to backup the phone and it updated it back to the stock firmware 4.4.2. I was prepared to loose the root as i dont need it. More concerned about the warranty. With the device and firmware status back to original i can now do OTA updates, however

Problem i have now is after the factory firmware upgrade to stock, my sim no longer works on the network. Seems as if the device has a sim lock, but it never asked for one. A local cellphone shop in st.catharines said there might be an issue with the baseband after the official update.

before the update, i tried all the suggestions such as unmounting the sd card, wiping cache, using supersu to unroot.

Can anyone chime in on what the problem may be? I go to school here, so if all else fails i will have to go back to toronto where i purchased it, and have them figure it out. just a hassle for me to get there without a car.

When the distributor told you that the phone had been modified to enable an unlock, why did you say, "I was prepared to loose root as i dont need it"... the problem is fairly obvious, you had a software-unlocked phone and even though the seller told you that you would lose your unlock, you wiped it back to factory anyway lol...

honestly though, that's extremely sketch, lemme know that shop and I'll report them to BBB, you should never be paying for a cell phone that comes rooted unless your buying something from pacific mall, there are several options for you to unlock the phone, using software, hardware, or IMEI unlock codes

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

You had a pre-rooted software-unlocked phone (that was originally network-locked). Your warranty to Samsung is completely void, you should get something in writing (or record on audio) from the guy that sold you the phone as to the warranty of the phone.

Other than that - you can buy a network unlock code for something like 15 USD or so.