[APP][8.0+] Skip track by Volume keys

Search This thread

Cilenco

Jan 2, 2013
ic_launcher.png

A systemless and standalone application which let's you skip tracks on your Android 8.0+ device by long pressing the volume keys.
Working on every 8.0+ ROM, including stock AOSP without root. Tested on 8, 9 and Q Beta!​

Installation
Download the newest release from the link below and install it on your device as usual.
Connect your device to a computer and enable developer settings and fire up

adb shell pm grant com.cilenco.skiptrack android.permission.SET_VOLUME_KEY_LONG_PRESS_LISTENER

On startup the app will check if has the permission. If you don't see any message the process worked and you are ready to go.
If the app is installed as system application by flashing it through a recovery this step is not needed as the permission is granted automatically.

Contribution
Please feel free to send me issues and pull requests for improvements, stability and new feature ideas.
If you want to help translate the app you can do so here.

Review (thanks to @pankspoo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lfh5SGhkiU&feature=youtu.be

Support me

Download
Sourcecode
Apk (1.0.0)

Last edited:

falptekin

Apr 19, 2012
Diyarbakır
Xperia XZ1, Stock 9.0 rom, i have no logs but app starts without error. All buttons are working. But it doesn't skip tracks on long colume button press on/offscreen.. when it is offscreen it doesn't change volume if this will help..(did all the instructions)

Last edited:

Cilenco

Jan 2, 2013
Had a bug in it sorry for that! Also the signing should be fixed now.
So sorry for that. Please try the new version (same link)

Reinstall and may also try to rerun adb command!

Cilenco

Jan 2, 2013
Reactions: MishaalRahman

falptekin

Apr 19, 2012
Diyarbakır
I confirm it works now! Xperia XZ1 on Android 9 stock. Working like a charm. This is the only real standalone solution for skipping tracks with volume buttoms while screen is off on android 8-9. Great work dev ???

Last edited:
Reactions: Cilenco and V4lve

zamuz27

Nov 6, 2011
Nexus 9
Xiaomi Mi A1
This is awesome! It works with every app I tried... except for Poweramp, which is my player of choice. This must be something on Poweramp's end though, since every other apps works as intended. What's weird is that Poweramp's beep seem to indicate that it's catching the next/previous commands, but won't skip tracks. Is there any specific configuration I should set on Poweramp for it to work?

supleed2

Feb 17, 2015
I didn't even know there was an API for this but I'm so glad for this app, works perfectly on stock rooted OOS 9.0.4, thank you for this app!!! Took a little fiddling but it worked after a few minutes

Reactions: Cilenco

Paradoxxx

Aug 14, 2008
Krakow
I am so glad someone created this. I have been waiting for a standalone version of something like this since Xposed mods are a thing. This is awesome. Thank you so much!

maxesxp

Nov 13, 2011
calgary
On an s10+ here, skip track works but volume will increase as if the button was being held. Ie. Once skipping to the next song, it will play at a much louder volume. Tested on Google play music and spotify.

UPDATE: disregard this, issue seemed to have fixed itself

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

A systemless and standalone application which let's you skip tracks on your Android 8.0+ device by long pressing the volume keys.
    Working on every 8.0+ ROM, including stock AOSP without root. Tested on 8, 9 and Q Beta!​

Installation
    Download the newest release from the link below and install it on your device as usual.
    Connect your device to a computer and enable developer settings and fire up

adb shell pm grant com.cilenco.skiptrack android.permission.SET_VOLUME_KEY_LONG_PRESS_LISTENER

On startup the app will check if has the permission. If you don't see any message the process worked and you are ready to go.
    If the app is installed as system application by flashing it through a recovery this step is not needed as the permission is granted automatically.

Contribution
    Please feel free to send me issues and pull requests for improvements, stability and new feature ideas.
    If you want to help translate the app you can do so here.

Review (thanks to @pankspoo)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lfh5SGhkiU&feature=youtu.be

Support me

Download
    Sourcecode
    Apk (1.0.0)
    can you add a vibration to the long press
    On my OnePlus 6, it seems to work on some apps, but not others. It works for VLC, but not PowerAmp (though Max has since updated PowerAmp to use the permission itself.

One that is perplexing is Droidsound-E.

https://github.com/droidmjt/Droidsound

It doesn't seem to work at all. It there anything I can do, or is it a situational thing?

I'm using a Huawei P20 Pro and while it seems to work properly for Spotify (I've had to toggle a few settings like power management and whatnot, although it's still a bit touch and go right now, still testing it...) this is the only app it doesn't work with. Not sure what it is :/

Anyways, thank you a thousand times over for making this. I've longed to have this feature from my days of using custom ROMs and having this again on a stock rom is absolutely phenomenal. A vibration would be a very nice addition to have though, but since you've open sourced it something like that shouldn't be hard to add in.

Edit: Got the code building after about half an hour of fighting with Gradle because they seem to do integrity checks on the andriod JARs now, but I did successfully add vibration. I'm really liking that the source is available for this. Thank you again @Cilenco!

Edit 2: After some more code changes, it now works on Droidsound-E and should probably also work on other apps that it didn't work on previously. I'll look into seeing on getting these changes merged. I may also try adding in a notification about battery management being disabled to make sure it's not killed, but otherwise it's pretty much a perfect replacement now.

Edit 3: Okay so I was doing some testing, and I don't think Android's battery management is causing any discernible problems. HOWEVER, I did discover that Huawei's EMUI is causing problems, specifically its aggressive power management and its liking to kill pretty much anything. I noticed a couple people here that had devices running EMUI that are having issues so I'll mention both of you individually.
    @lukesky and @Jan Philipp Can both of you reinstall the latest version of the app that is uploaded and follow all the installation steps, but then do one more additional step? Head into Settings -> Battery -> App launch, and turn off the toggle for this app so that it's managed manually entirely (The popup that shows up when you turn off the toggle should have all three toggles there ON). Then give the app another try. It should fix the issues for you because after turning that off, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my P20 Pro on EMUI 9.0.
    I confirm it works now! Xperia XZ1 on Android 9 stock. Working like a charm. This is the only real standalone solution for skipping tracks with volume buttoms while screen is off on android 8-9. Great work dev ???
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, app starts nor error, adb command all good too, but the skip function doesn't work.