[RECOVERY][ROOT][TWRP 3.2.1-1][Magisk v14] Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 SM-T280/SM-T285

Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP custom recovery for the Tab A SM-T280/T285. Latest build is 3.2.1-1

Disclaimer: you flash these at your own risk. Knox counter will be tripped. Having the stock firmware to hand is also advised.

NOTE: BEFORE MAKING MODIFICATIONS, ON SOME ANDROID 5.1.1/6.0 DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

UPDATE 08/01/2018 - TWRP updated to version 3.2.1-1

UPDATE 21/11/2017 - Magisk updated to v14

UPDATE 26/10/2016: GUI lag fix - Lag in the GUI should now be fixed
MTP fix - MTP should now be working

To install TWRP:

1. Flash with ODIN 3.10.7 in the AP slot.
Uncheck Auto reboot.

2. Load the respective file below into the AP slot and hit start.

3. After flashing when ODIN says PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding the other buttons.
You should now see TWRP recovery.

DOWNLOAD:
TWRP_3.0.2-1_SM-T280_261016

twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t280_080118

twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t285_080118

NOTE: at the moment there seems to be a bug which causes the GUI to get a little laggy. If things stop responding just be patient and wait for the GUI to respond. I'm looking into this.
(FIXED)

For Systemless Root with SuperSu.

1. Install Supersu via TWRP
SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031

This step only required for the SM-T280
2 . Flash the PRE-ROOTED boot image below with ODIN(AP slot) or TWRP(extract boot.img first from tar file). Current version is [SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031].
supersu_2.78_SR1_systemless_boot_t280

3. Reboot

4. Check you have root

To install Magisk v14:

1. Download Magisk v14 to your device
Magisk v14

2. Install the Magisk v14 zip with TWRP

This step only required for the T280
3. Flash the patched boot image below with TWRP.
magiskv14_boot_aqd1

4. Reboot

5. Install Magisk manager
Magisk Manager

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK IF YOU FIND MY WORK USEFUL. THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Last edited:

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
interesting, what caused the lag to happen? I initially suspected it to be gpu clock throttling but didn't have time to figure it out
Hi Jed, after trying various different configs in twrp and even modifying the graphics source code it made no difference.
Using the the touch debugger in twrp it was apparent that the touch was responding fine.

So I turned my attention to the kernel.
After several builds of modifying the cpu config making no difference, it turns out TWRP only supports double buffering, but the kernel was forcing triple buffering.
It seems this was causing an extra frame to be displayed causing what seemed like lag and explains why when pressing the screen a second time would cause the frame to update.

The page that was in ram had changed when tapping a button, but the wrong frame in the buffer was displayed until the next touch which then updated the display.

Disabling triple buffering in the kernel fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
Worked perfectly, first time.
Installed supersu via trwp and then img via boot in twrp also.
Thank you for the clear tutorial.
Excellent

Reactions: zippzYT

froidlesprit

Nov 3, 2016
Vancouver
froidlesprit.com

TWRP custom recovery for the Tab A SM-T280. Latest build is 3.0.2-1

Disclaimer: you flash these at your own risk. Knox counter will be tripped. Having the stock firmware to hand is also advised.

NOTE: BEFORE MAKING MODIFICATIONS, ON SOME ANDROID 5.1.1/6.0 DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

To install TWRP:

Uncheck Auto reboot.

3. After flashing when ODIN says PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding the other buttons.

NOTE: at the moment there seems to be a bug which causes the GUI to get a little laggy. If things stop responding just be patient and wait for the GUI to respond. I'm looking into this.

2 . Flash the PRE-ROOTED boot image below with ODIN(AP slot) or TWRP(extract boot.img first from tar file). Current version is [SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031].

3. Reboot

4. Check you have root

To install Magisk v7:

1. Download Magisk v7 to your device
Magisk v7

2. Install the Magisk v7 zip with TWRP

3. Flash the patched boot image below with ODIN(AP slot) or TWRP(extract boot.img first from tar file)
magiskv7_boot_sm-t280

4. Reboot

To Install Magisk v7 with SuperSu:

1. Follow the instructions above to install SuperSu

2. Reboot to TWRP and install the Magisk v7 zip below:
Magisk v7

3. Flash the patched boot image below with ODIN(AP slot) or TWRP(extract boot.img first from tar file):
magiskv7_boot_sm-t280

4. Reboot

5. Install Magisk Manager

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

I don't know how this is working for others, but installing SuperSu uninstalled android.

Reactions: tega28

froidlesprit

Nov 3, 2016
Vancouver
froidlesprit.com
It does what? [emoji55]
Also please don't quote the entire OP.
OK, I'm new to XDA. I installed TWRP and supersu, but when switching to Odin to install that other supersu thing, It wouldn't boot properly I tried deleting supersu, but I uninstalled android entirely. I got the splash screen, but TWRP warned that there was no OS installed. Does XDA Developers have a tutorial on reinstalling Android? I also can't locate the stock firmware and I forgot to back up my system.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Download the stock firmware from sammobile or UPDATO and flash with odin.

Reactions: ZeroZorro

jark99

Sep 17, 2010
T280 comes in on Tuesday, will try this method and report back. Seems fairly easy, thanks for allowing us to have TWRP and root, it will help in debloating this 8gb version i picked up.

Reactions: spacediverecho

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
magiskv7_boot_sm-t280 in first post Failed to download, registered in Microsoft Security as a Trojan! Also download page in Android file host has the developer name as "ashyt6" and not "ashyx."
Anyone else noticed this, or did I miss something???
Ffs have you never heard of false positives? [emoji55] What do you expect you're installing files that compromise an operating system.
Also what relevance is it that my AFH user name is different?

crappleton

Aug 3, 2012

TWRP custom recovery for the Tab A SM-T280. Latest build is 3.0.2-1

To install TWRP:

Uncheck Auto reboot.

3. Reboot

4. Check you have root

To install Magisk v7:

1. Download Magisk v7 to your device
Magisk v7

2. Install the Magisk v7 zip with TWRP

3. Flash the patched boot image below with ODIN(AP slot) or TWRP(extract boot.img first from tar file)
magiskv7_boot_sm-t280

4. Reboot

To Install Magisk v7 with SuperSu:

1. Follow the instructions above to install SuperSu

2. Reboot to TWRP and install the Magisk v7 zip below:
Magisk v7

3. Flash the patched boot image below with ODIN(AP slot) or TWRP(extract boot.img first from tar file):
magiskv7_boot_sm-t280

4. Reboot

5. Install Magisk Manager

followed your instruction & it works, many thanks..much appreciated:good::good::good:

jbcubana

May 3, 2014
Hi ashyx :)
To start sorry for my English, I am French and a bad student.
I want to thank you for this guide and all of your contribution on the Android scene :good:
I followed your instructions successfully but I have some questions :confused:

Can I install Busybox? If so, is it useful? If yes, how?

I have to do update Magisk v7 to v9?

To finish what is the best solution to extend the internal memory? Actually I used Link2Sd but I'm not satisfied :(

Thanks again for your work, a little boy will be in the angels when he will receive his gift of Christmas :)

prantxes

Feb 14, 2014
Error - Security check (boot)

While odin is telling me everything it's correct and shows PASS message on my tablet Sm-t280 shows Security check fail - (boot) and when i restart i can't see any changes,

Oem unlocked and usb debug activated i tried flash with twrp image file and with supersu img file.

I hope your help thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TWRP custom recovery for the Tab A SM-T280/T285. Latest build is 3.2.1-1

UPDATE 08/01/2018 - TWRP updated to version 3.2.1-1

UPDATE 21/11/2017 - Magisk updated to v14

To install TWRP:

Uncheck Auto reboot.

DOWNLOAD:

twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t280_080118

twrp_3.2.1-1_sm-t285_080118

(FIXED)

This step only required for the SM-T280

3. Reboot

4. Check you have root

To install Magisk v14:

1. Download Magisk v14 to your device
    Magisk v14

2. Install the Magisk v14 zip with TWRP

This step only required for the T280
    3. Flash the patched boot image below with TWRP.
    magiskv14_boot_aqd1

4. Reboot

5. Install Magisk manager
    Magisk Manager

GUI lag fix - Lag in the GUI should now be fixed
    MTP fix
    interesting, what caused the lag to happen? I initially suspected it to be gpu clock throttling but didn't have time to figure it out
    Hi Jed, after trying various different configs in twrp and even modifying the graphics source code it made no difference.
    Using the the touch debugger in twrp it was apparent that the touch was responding fine.

So I turned my attention to the kernel.
    After several builds of modifying the cpu config making no difference, it turns out TWRP only supports double buffering, but the kernel was forcing triple buffering.
    It seems this was causing an extra frame to be displayed causing what seemed like lag and explains why when pressing the screen a second time would cause the frame to update.

The page that was in ram had changed when tapping a button, but the wrong frame in the buffer was displayed until the next touch which then updated the display.

Disabling triple buffering in the kernel fixed the issue.
    I hope the patched boot image for Magisk v14 come soon. I have been preparing my SM-T280 for this. Backing up everything on it, stocking up the stock images for emergency, etc.

(BTW, a noob question, I thought Magisk is doing the patch on boot.img when it is installed. SM-T280 is different?)
    Magisk updated to v14.
    I tried the same with SuperSU 2.82 but even with the DHTB part it gets stuck on boot 🤔

I learned that the DHTB part is actually a signature for the following partition. So by just copying another signature I clearly use an invalid one, but it seems the bootloader doesn't care 🙈

Okay, the DHTB part not only contains a signature but also the payload length of the data the signature is generated over. I missed the last part and that length caused it to get stuck on boot with SuperSU 2.82.

I noticed that it boots fine if I just set signature and length to all zeroes. 🤷‍♂️

So here is my version of the patched SuperSU, now also for 2.82.

Bash:
    # Patch image to include additional 512 Bytes Header found on SM-T280 devices
    if [ "$(dd if=$BOOTIMAGE count=4 bs=1)" = "DHTB" ]; then 
      ui_print "- Found DHTB Header at 0x0000, expecting ANDR at 0x0200"
      if [ "$(dd if=$BOOTIMAGE count=4 bs=1 skip=512)" = "ANDR" ]; then
        ui_print "- Found ANDR Header at 0x0200, patching boot.img"
        dd if=$BOOTIMAGE of=/sutmp/prefix.img count=8 bs=1
        dd if=/dev/zero of=/sutmp/prefix-pad.img count=504 bs=1
        cat /sutmp/prefix.img /sutmp/prefix-pad.img /sutmp/boot.img > /sutmp/patched.img
        rm /sutmp/boot.img
        mv /sutmp/patched.img /sutmp/boot.img
      else
        ui_print "- ANDR Header NOT found at 0x0200, boot.img may not work!"
      fi
    else
      ui_print "- DHTB Header at 0x0000 NOT found, skipping step"
    fi