Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Update 5/13/13 - This is DerTeufel1980's thread for the kernel which works for both AOSP and TW. Dual-boot is not yet working yet though. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453

FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
PAID - $10 - rayandreas
PAID - $50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
PAID - $29 - btpd21
PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
PAID - $5 - muqali
PAID - $10 - rlee008
$5 - kingP1n
$5 - deviusdragger
$5 - lovekeiiy
PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
PAID - $5 ristiisa
PAID - $10 Grant Barker
** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p

Last edited:

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $306.00

Recognized developer and thanks don't really stand for much anymore.

There is a dev on another phone considered recognized and with way more thanks than that, and he so far has had two phones I know of handed too him and he possibly stole work on the first and released nothing but completely stock AOSP that took him months to make on the second phone while we had RIL and CM10 long before he got to the phone.

The above is why I don't donate until after work has been created anymore. If it is a dev I've seen produce I'd consider it.

I for one hate these.

Said my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $306.00

Recognized developer and thanks don't really stand for much anymore.

There is a dev on another phone considered recognized and with way more thanks than that, and he so far has had two phones I know of handed too him and he possibly stole work on the first and released nothing but completely stock AOSP that took him months to make on the second phone while we had RIL and CM10 long before he got to the phone.

The above is why I don't donate until after work has been created anymore. If it is a dev I've seen produce I'd consider it.

I for one hate these.

Said my 2 cents.

I included the post where he produced a dual-boot kernel. I understand you must have been burned in the past. However, please do a bit of research before stating something so negative that does not apply in this particular instance. Nobody else (that I have seen) has produced a dual-boot kernel for a phone. He could easily decide to get a completely different phone so we would lose the benefit of his work on a phone we have. He can't provide the benefit without the phone to work on. I'm not trying to start a flame-war. I just think a lot of people would like this capability.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: funnief13

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Up to 310 now

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati

I included the post where he produced a dual-boot kernel. I understand you must have been burned in the past. However, please do a bit of research before stating something so negative that does not apply in this particular instance. Nobody else (that I have seen) has produced a dual-boot kernel for a phone. He could easily decide to get a completely different phone so we would lose the benefit of his work on a phone we have. He can't provide the benefit without the phone to work on. I'm not trying to start a flame-war. I just think a lot of people would like this capability.

I am just not a fan of these period. I've never been burned. I refuse to donate for work undone.

This other dev had work done in the past. Proof of work.

Not to say this dev isn't worth having, I just refuse to donate to work not done.

Reactions: JamesPumaEnjoi

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
There are also rules about this, specifically not doing it. I get you want it done, but I don't see the developer even coming in here and showing interest. That is a cause for concern.

Reactions: shangrila500

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
There are also rules about this, specifically not doing it. I get you want it done, but I don't see the developer even coming in here and showing interest. That is a cause for concern.

What rules are you talking about? No moderator has sent any PM and I'm sure the threads have been seen at this point.

I will ask DerTeufel1980 to post in the thread if that makes a difference. He posted in the AT&T thread that I started with.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
What rules are you talking about? No moderator has sent any PM and I'm sure the threads have been seen at this point.

I will ask DerTeufel1980 to post in the thread if that makes a difference. He posted in the AT&T thread that I started with.

I am not going to pull up the precise verbiage, as you can do that. However there are explicit rules for no donations on work unseen. There have been many a fiery thread in this forum on that very detail and each one was closed. I don't care either way but if you want to alleviate people's concerns, get the dev to come in here and show interest and then get moderator approval for the thread. Don't be surprised if it gets shut down though.

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011

I am not going to pull up the precise verbiage, as you can do that. However there are explicit rules for no donations on work unseen. There have been many a fiery thread in this forum on that very detail and each one was closed. I don't care either way but if you want to alleviate people's concerns, get the dev to come in here and show interest and then get moderator approval for the thread. Don't be surprised if it gets shut down though.

Hi, What do you want me to ask?
Of course I am interested in this project. Otherwise RichMD would not have opened the thread.
As I wrote in the other thread, i was going to get me a nexus 4 within the coming months. If RichMD would not have asked, I would not have thought about the note 2.

Regarding dual boot, it took me nearly 2 month, to figure out how all the things need to be modified (especially the recovery) for a user friendly implementation of dualboot. Now that I know all this, it shouldn't be very hard to implement it to another phone.
Obviously, to make changes to the recovery /initramfs and kernel itself, I need a device to test with.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RichMD

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Hi, What do you want me to ask?
Of course I am interested in this project. Otherwise RichMD would not have opened the thread.
As I wrote in the other thread, i was going to get me a nexus 4 within the coming months. If RichMD would not have asked, I would not have thought about the note 2.

Regarding dual boot, it took me nearly 2 month, to figure out how all the things need to be modified (especially the recovery) for a user friendly implementation of dualboot. Now that I know all this, it shouldn't be very hard to implement it to another phone.
Obviously, to make changes to the recovery /initramfs and kernel itself, I need a device to test with.

Thanks DerTeufel,
I think many of us would like to see this capability on the Note 2.
I don't know if it would work but I am particularly hoping that I can have an unrooted "work" ROM as the "secondary" so I can use my enterprise Good email client. I am hoping it will be somewhat like dual-booting my kindle-fire where the "secondary" has to be packaged for "alternate" partitions and then have the other ROM be what I can flash various ROMs that come out. Even if the dual-boot does not work like that initially, I would want it regardless and I am guessing other DEVs could help expand on it.

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011

Thanks DerTeufel,
I think many of us would like to see this capability on the Note 2.
I don't know if it would work but I am particularly hoping that I can have an unrooted "work" ROM as the "secondary" so I can use my enterprise Good email client. I am hoping it will be somewhat like dual-booting my kindle-fire where the "secondary" has to be packaged for "alternate" partitions and then have the other ROM be what I can flash various ROMs that come out. Even if the dual-boot does not work like that initially, I would want it regardless and I am guessing other DEVs could help expand on it.

Sorry, but I can't say anything about this now. It depends on the drivers needed for stock and aosp based roms.
For sure you can run two stock roms or two aosp roms.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Vote ban all donation threads. However i can vouch that derteufel1980 is a solid dev. Honestly I see no need for a dual boot kernel....thats what nandroids are for.

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011

Vote ban all donation threads. However i can vouch that derteufel1980 is a solid dev. Honestly I see no need for a dual boot kernel....thats what nandroids are for.

Well, let me remember... You are/were having a vibrant? Do you still have it? I can upload the dualboot kernel for it later (already compiled it few weeks ago. Lol) then you can compare nandroid against dualboot.

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida

Dual boot is so much easier than backing up and restoring Nandroids. However unless we can dual boot Touchwiz and AOSP then it's pointless for me. I want to have AOSP, but I'm not willing to give up multi window, it's just way to useful. Dual boot is the next best thing to AOSP having multi window (which I don't see happening anytime soon)

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011

Dual boot is so much easier than backing up and restoring Nandroids. However unless we can dual boot Touchwiz and AOSP then it's pointless for me. I want to have AOSP, but I'm not willing to give up multi window, it's just way to useful. Dual boot is the next best thing to AOSP having multi window (which I don't see happening anytime soon)

I totally agree. Having tw and aosp would be the perfect combination. As I don't own this device (yet), I am not very familiar with it. Does one need a different kernel for aosp and tw roms?

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

If we get dual-boot functionality then maybe it can be improved over time to support AOSP and TW ROMS. Maybe that will never happen but it certainly won't if we don't start with getting some of the items resolved like recovery, etc that DerTeufel1980 has worked through. Personally, I would like to have a TW ROM configured for work with the battery hogging Good client and corresponding password restrictions, etc and a personal TW ROM that I can setup however I want. I don't consider nandroid swaps a viable option personally.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
If we get dual-boot functionality then maybe it can be improved over time to support AOSP and TW ROMS. Maybe that will never happen but it certainly won't if we don't start with getting some of the items resolved like recovery, etc that DerTeufel1980 has worked through. Personally, I would like to have a TW ROM configured for work with the battery hogging Good client and corresponding password restrictions, etc and a personal TW ROM that I can setup however I want. I don't consider nandroid swaps a viable option personally.

i dont swap roms enough to warrant dual boot...and if we cant dual boot between touchwiz and aosp then it seems pointless.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Well, let me remember... You are/were having a vibrant? Do you still have it? I can upload the dualboot kernel for it later (already compiled it few weeks ago. Lol) then you can compare nandroid against dualboot.

I had a fascinate...anyhow I appreciate your work on that device, however I no longer support donation threads. to many folks been burned...no offense to you personally!

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati

I totally agree. Having tw and aosp would be the perfect combination. As I don't own this device (yet), I am not very familiar with it. Does one need a different kernel for aosp and tw roms?

...this right here...I mean....come on now...

I've never had a phone that could use the same kernel for both AOSP and touchwhiz/sense/motoblur/whatever.

And I've had a lot of phones...

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011
i dont swap roms enough to warrant dual boot...and if we cant dual boot between touchwiz and aosp then it seems pointless.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

I had a fascinate...anyhow I appreciate your work on that device, however I no longer support donation threads. to many folks been burned...no offense to you personally!

that's totally fine with me. no one is forced to donate, and i am not angry, if one tells me, he does not want to donate.
i never planned myself to get this device, and i never could pay for it (my girlfriend would kill me, if i spent my money for a phone instead of our kids ;) ).

if this thread is going to get me the device at anytime, i would proudly develop my kernel for it. if not, i'll most probably buy a used nexus 4 in 2-3 months :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OP Updated

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    Update 5/13/13 - This is DerTeufel1980's thread for the kernel which works for both AOSP and TW. Dual-boot is not yet working yet though. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453

FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but here's the thing:

You don't ask for my services - you just get them when I feel the need. Ya feel me? ;) I also take contracting jobs, but mostly I just inject myself where I see the need.

So much to work with here. Where do I start?:D
    Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?

I know we are all saying show some work before donating first but this is same way myself and the sprint community got sbrissen a Verizon GNote2. Some people were skeptical about him and being able to bring AOSP but look where we are now. Tons of AOSP ROMs all because we were able to get him a device. I can't personally vouch for this dev since I've never used any of his work lol but it doesn't mean he's not good for it. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?

This thread is not about Joelz...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This statement means your missing the point. The point is joelz has thousands of people who will vouch for him yet the actions I listed still stand.

Work first donations second.