From Cupcake to Hero (Magic) > what do I need to do?

Search This thread

papalazarou

Aug 10, 2008
Hi guys.

I know that the various aspects of this post are covered in other posts, but I haven't seen anything that acts like a step by step or repository for this info.

Basically, I have a VodafoneAU HTC Magic with 1.5 on it, and I'd like to flash on it one of the Hero roms. I used to have a Diamond and then Diamond Pro, but I know little about Android at this point.

My biggest fear is bricking the phone, followed by not being able to restore my previous rom (and even apps and settings would be awesome too, though not essential) should something go pear shaped.

I know the steps I need to follow are:

1 - Root the phone
2 - Back up ROM (settings/apps too?)
3 - Flash new ROM
4 - ?????
5 - Profit (in the form of enjoying an awesome Hero ROM)

Jokes aside, if someone can point me in the right direction for the first 3 steps, that'd be great. Even if it's as simple as

1 - Root it using this post (link)
2 - Use this App to back it up
3 - etc..

Like I said, I know this info is probably covered elsewhere, but not in one place (that I've found) and I'd hope this post could serve as a guide for anyone else looking to go the same steps as me.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Cheers.

KarrdeNZ

Jul 15, 2009
First off, you don't need to root your phone, update the SPL, or any of that scary stuff. Which is great, cus that's the riskiest part of it all. Briefly, the procedure is as follows:

1. Boot your phone in fastboot mode (power the phone off, then hold the back button as you power it back on). You'll see a white screen with some text, the word "FASTBOOT" and some androids at the bottom.
2. Note the version numbers you see at the top of the screen - it'll look something like:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.3300.0009 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17

3. Download the ROM you want to upgrade to for your phone's version, rename the zip to update.zip and put it on the root of your phone's SD card
4. Boot a recovery ROM using fastboot (from the Android SDK)
5. Use Nandroid Backup to back up your current firmware to the SD card
6. Copy that backup (and the rest of the contents of your SD card) to your PC, just in case. This is the last point at which you can back out!
7. Use the recovery ROM to wipe your phone's existing firmware
8. Use the recovery ROM to apply the update.zip from the SD card
9. Wait for the update to complete
10. Reboot your phone and enjoy your new ROM!

I did this on my Vodafone NZ HTC Magic (PVT32B) running 1.5 yesterday and am enjoying Hero on it right now, barring a few quirks. If you like, I'll put together a detailed step-by-step of the procedure.

papalazarou

Aug 10, 2008
First off, you don't need to root your phone....

I did this on my Vodafone NZ HTC Magic (PVT32B) running 1.5 yesterday and am enjoying Hero on it right now, barring a few quirks. If you like, I'll put together a detailed step-by-step of the procedure.

Awesome, cheers. I'll have a crack at it tonight then.

So Am I correct then in assuming step 5 backs up my phone as it is now? So essentially if I roll back it will be exactly as it was? Installed apps, settings, contacts (although sync sorts that out) and all?

KarrdeNZ

Jul 15, 2009
So Am I correct then in assuming step 5 backs up my phone as it is now? So essentially if I roll back it will be exactly as it was? Installed apps, settings, contacts (although sync sorts that out) and all?

Nope. Nandroid only backs up the existing firmware (and I believe some settings). It doesn't back up texts, contacts (though those should be synced with your Google Account anyway), or apps. For the most part, apps are easy to retrieve from the Market, but if you have any you got from elsewhere you'll need to reacquire them. The app MyBackup Pro seems to be recommended on these forums for more thorough backups, though it isn't free (and I've not used it myself). As my phone was (relatively) new I wasn't too fussed about keeping backups of anything except the firmware.

KarrdeNZ

Jul 15, 2009
I've done a couple of Nandroid backups and restores and it restores everything (except SD card), meaning applications, settings, everything is restored.

I've heard differing reports on what Nandroid does and doesn't back up, so was erring on the side of caution. But if it backs up everything, awesome. :)

And yep, that's the recovery ROM I used. I'm writing up the step by step instructions at the moment - will post em when they're done.

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
I've heard differing reports on what Nandroid does and doesn't back up, so was erring on the side of caution. But if it backs up everything, awesome. :)

And yep, that's the recovery ROM I used. I'm writing up the step by step instructions at the moment - will post em when they're done.

depends how you restore it- you can restore system.img only and not get all your data etc (using fastboot) but if you fastboot data.img as well then you get it all..... the new recovery restores it all...

snowhk

Sep 7, 2007
First off, you don't need to root your phone, update the SPL, or any of that scary stuff. Which is great, cus that's the riskiest part of it all. Briefly, the procedure is as follows:

1. Boot your phone in fastboot mode (power the phone off, then hold the back button as you power it back on). You'll see a white screen with some text, the word "FASTBOOT" and some androids at the bottom.
2. Note the version numbers you see at the top of the screen - it'll look something like:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.3300.0009 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17

3. Download the ROM you want to upgrade to for your phone's version, rename the zip to update.zip and put it on the root of your phone's SD card
4. Boot a recovery ROM using fastboot (from the Android SDK)
5. Use Nandroid Backup to back up your current firmware to the SD card
6. Copy that backup (and the rest of the contents of your SD card) to your PC, just in case. This is the last point at which you can back out!
7. Use the recovery ROM to wipe your phone's existing firmware
8. Use the recovery ROM to apply the update.zip from the SD card
9. Wait for the update to complete
10. Reboot your phone and enjoy your new ROM!

I am a noob...Why don't need to FLASH SPL and ROOT the phone?? But u can still flash into HERO rom. I would like to have a full flash procedure from you,thanks. My machine is running on PVT32A.

KarrdeNZ

Jul 15, 2009
Just ask for curiosity..But why did others do so?? Thanks. You provided a clear guide.^^

I think some SPL versions prevent ROM updates and so need to be replaced with versions that do, but I'm not sure. I'll let someone more knowledgeable take that question.

And thanks, I tried to make the guide as easy as possible :)

snowhk

Sep 7, 2007
I think some SPL versions prevent ROM updates and so need to be replaced with versions that do, but I'm not sure. I'll let someone more knowledgeable take that question.

And thanks, I tried to make the guide as easy as possible :)
My device shows the followings:

Sapphire PVT 32A Ship S-ON H
HBOOT-1.33.0009(SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17

Would my SPL version prevent the update?Coz I afraid of bricking my phone>< I got too many questions. Hope u can have a help. Thanks.

KarrdeNZ

Jul 15, 2009
My device shows the followings:

Sapphire PVT 32A Ship S-ON H
HBOOT-1.33.0009(SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17

Would my SPL version prevent the update?Coz I afraid of bricking my phone>< I got too many questions. Hope u can have a help. Thanks.

According to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019 you should be fine. If you're unable to boot the recovery ROM (step 8 in my guide) then stop there, as I believe that's about where problematic SPLs first show signs of trouble. Just make sure you get ROMS for 32A.

redmdc

Jul 15, 2009
i believe you can only do this with signed roms but this is only from what i have read on here, but to be fair its not hard to root anyway and aslong as your not a dumbass its pretty straight forward and can benefit from bluetooth file sharing and apps2sd and tethering so deffo worth it, opens up your phone to numerous possibilities

Roy_Drage

Jul 22, 2008
London
KarrdeNZ, mate I followed your guide to the letter. I got all the way down to step 11 and then a problem occurred.

When I clicked 'Apply sdcard:update.zip' it just said cannot find or cannot load update.zip, or something like that, then said operation aborted?

I was trying to install the EXACT same ROM as you, I downloaded it to my laptop, renamed it update.zip and moved it to the root of the SD card.

Yet it didn't work, I can't for the life of me think where it's gone wrong as everything else up to that point had gone smoothly.

Any idea's?

Roy_Drage

Jul 22, 2008
London
Well I tried downloading the same file again. No luck this time either!

This is what it says when I click the install from sdcard button:

--install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted.

Now I get that it's saying that it can't find the file but I really don't understand why? I mean the file is there, do I have to unzip the file onto my computer 1st and then put it on the sdcard?

I thought i just stuck the zipped file onto the root of the card making sure i renamed it 'update.zip'

Please help me out guys, thanks.

icepixie

Jul 16, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The exact thing happened to me; and I realized I was dumb and had named the file "update.zip", when in fact it should just be "update". The file extension should come naturally since the file is still compressed.

Well I tried downloading the same file again. No luck this time either!

This is what it says when I click the install from sdcard button:

--install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted.

Now I get that it's saying that it can't find the file but I really don't understand why? I mean the file is there, do I have to unzip the file onto my computer 1st and then put it on the sdcard?

I thought i just stuck the zipped file onto the root of the card making sure i renamed it 'update.zip'

Please help me out guys, thanks.

icepixie

Jul 16, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
KarredeNZ, THANK YOU for your awesome tutorial!! I looked through so many other pages for instructions and they went totally over my head. Your tutorial was the best and easiest to follow. :)