[RECOVERY] ClockWorkMod Official "TOUCH" recovery v5.8.1.8 [UPDATED 24/5/12]

Search This thread

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite

As I seem to have come under a little fire for not stating that you need to be unlocked to install a custom recovery, I thought that I would add a little clarification.

At the time I started this thread the unlock had only just been released, and EVERYONE knew that the methods contained within this thread were only possible if you were unlocked. I apologize for my assumptions.

PLEASE NOTE, YOU MUST BE UNLOCKED TO BE ABLE TO INSTALL A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND/OR CUSTOM ROM!

I also received a little flak for not explaining the adb/fastboot processes more clearly. While I can understand that many people who come to XDA are new to the whole custom ROM kettle o' fish, it is my honest opinion that if you have not already read up about ADB and FASTBOOT and have an understanding of how to use them, you most definitely have absolutely no business whatsoever flashing a recovery or ROM at all.

I was a noob when I first arrived here at XDA, but I read and re-read as much information as possible before going anywhere near flashing custom recoveries and/or ROMs to my Desire HD.

There are plenty of great guides around for learning how to use ADB and FASTBOOT, please I implore you, before attempting to flash anything to any device you own, read these guides over and over again until you feel that you have the confidence to flash your device without the need for someone to hold your hand.

I think that about covers everything that I wanted to say other than a big thank you to Swiftks and Striatum_bdr for answering so many peoples questions in this thread.

That's all folks.

As always Peace, Dok

!!!YOU MAY WANT TO GO HERE FOR UPDATED UNOFFICIAL RECOVERIES, BOTH TOUCH AND STANDARD VERSIONS ARE AVAILABLE!!!

Huge thank you to Roach2010 for the updated recoveries.

LETS GET THE FORMALITIES OUT OF THE WAY

1. I did not build this, it is the official CWM touch recovery from the CWM website.

2. If you brick your device flashing this, I am in no way responsible.

3. If you brick your device flashing this, I am in no way responsible.

4. Please, follow all steps very carefully, especially the actual flashing step.

5. I have personally flashed this without issue.

6. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO VERSION OF CWM FOR THE PRIME THAT SUPPORTS EXTERNAL SDCARD STORAGE. USE THE INTERNAL MEMORY FOR ALL YOUR FLASHING NEEDS.

CREDIT: KOUSH FOR HIS AWESOME WORK

So, you want some lovely touch based CWM recovery on your device?

METHOD NUMBER 1: The Fastboot! - NO NEED FOR ROOT
Come right this way you fearless young chap.

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

download the tf201 touch recovery, version 5.8.1.8

Now, switch off your device, then hold volume DOWN and the power button together until your Prime shows the RCK screen.

At this point press volume down. This will take you to the options of which fastboot is one.

Switch to fastboot mode by pressing volume DOWN (It's the USB symbol, but you knew that already else you wouldn't be here) then press volume UP to select the option.

Connect your USB cable now, if you haven't already.

Next you need to open a command prompt/terminal window and cd to where you have downloaded the .img

Next type fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img

Once the flash has completed (the screen will sit with a full blue bar doing nothing) you can reboot to recovery as per normal, but now you will have the wonderful touch recovery.

METHOD NUMBER 2: The blob!
CREDIT to Striatum_bdr

- download the img file
- rename it as blob file with a more simple name for example cwm_touch.blob
- open Terminal Emulator on your tablet, then:
$ su
# dd if=/"path to blobfile" of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 (REPLACE "path to blobfile" with the path to where you have saved the file).

You're done.
Reboot, the blob file will be flashed at boot (same as kernel).

METHOD NUMBER 3: The Terminal noob!
CREDIT to darksiiide

It is also available via ROM Manager, for a fee.

!!!HUZZAH FOR KOUSH!!!
I hope you all enjoy.

My recommendation would be to do a fresh backup of your ROM as soon as you boot into the new recovery, just in case.

Last edited:

darksiiide

Aug 3, 2009

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

darksiiide

Aug 3, 2009
No it doesnt touch your ROM. It just changes your recovery to clockwork touch.

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
No it doesnt touch your ROM. It just changes your recovery to clockwork touch.

thank you, will report back on how it went

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

it takes forever to start Fastboot USB download protocol

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
Touch Recovery is completely buggy on my phone, I'll wait a little for some user feedback lol...

EDIT: another method (need to be rooted)

- download the img file
$ su
# dd if=/path/to/blobfile of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4

You're done.
Reboot inrecovery as usual, the blob file will be flashed at boot (same as kernel), you'll ony need to reboot in recovery.

Last edited:

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
Touch Recovery is completely buggy on my phone, I'll wait a little for some user feedback lol...

- download the img file
$ su

You're done.
Reboot inrecovery as usual, the blob file will be flashed at boot (same as kernel), you'll ony need to reboot in recovery.

I added this method to the first post, credit to you in there also. Thanks for the input dude.

Reactions: Rushing

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
Had this and it worked great. I upgraded to stock v.21 firmware and lost root. Not only that, I have no recovery bootloader or fastboot anymore. It informs me that recovery kernel is not found and requires me to hard-reset the device.

Is it possible to flash this through ADB without having to be in fastboot or something?

Last edited:

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
Had this and it worked great. I upgraded to stock v.21 firmware and lost root. Not only that, I have no recovery bootloader or fastboot anymore. It informs me that recovery kernel is not found and requires me to hard-reset the device.

Is it possible to flash this through ADB without having to be in fastboot or something?

Through adb you can push the blob renamed file in the same /dev block file than in method 2 but I'm afraid you still need root to do that.. Worth to try adb remount command, and see the result. If no error message then 'adb push /path/to/blob/computer /dev/etc...'

Reactions: crypted

wheels01

Mar 6, 2011
PHX
First time I used my terminal emulator and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the guide and feedback everyone.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

LfnsR

Sep 27, 2011
Orange County, CA

- download the img file
$ su

You're done.

worked like a charm. thanks for the info.

Reactions: tylermaciaszek

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As I seem to have come under a little fire for not stating that you need to be unlocked to install a custom recovery, I thought that I would add a little clarification.

At the time I started this thread the unlock had only just been released, and EVERYONE knew that the methods contained within this thread were only possible if you were unlocked. I apologize for my assumptions.

PLEASE NOTE, YOU MUST BE UNLOCKED TO BE ABLE TO INSTALL A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND/OR CUSTOM ROM!

I also received a little flak for not explaining the adb/fastboot processes more clearly. While I can understand that many people who come to XDA are new to the whole custom ROM kettle o' fish, it is my honest opinion that if you have not already read up about ADB and FASTBOOT and have an understanding of how to use them, you most definitely have absolutely no business whatsoever flashing a recovery or ROM at all.

I was a noob when I first arrived here at XDA, but I read and re-read as much information as possible before going anywhere near flashing custom recoveries and/or ROMs to my Desire HD.

There are plenty of great guides around for learning how to use ADB and FASTBOOT, please I implore you, before attempting to flash anything to any device you own, read these guides over and over again until you feel that you have the confidence to flash your device without the need for someone to hold your hand.

I think that about covers everything that I wanted to say other than a big thank you to Swiftks and Striatum_bdr for answering so many peoples questions in this thread.

That's all folks.

As always Peace, Dok

!!!YOU MAY WANT TO GO HERE FOR UPDATED UNOFFICIAL RECOVERIES, BOTH TOUCH AND STANDARD VERSIONS ARE AVAILABLE!!!

Huge thank you to Roach2010 for the updated recoveries.

LETS GET THE FORMALITIES OUT OF THE WAY

1. I did not build this, it is the official CWM touch recovery from the CWM website.

2. If you brick your device flashing this, I am in no way responsible.

3. If you brick your device flashing this, I am in no way responsible.

4. Please, follow all steps very carefully, especially the actual flashing step.

5. I have personally flashed this without issue.

6. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO VERSION OF CWM FOR THE PRIME THAT SUPPORTS EXTERNAL SDCARD STORAGE. USE THE INTERNAL MEMORY FOR ALL YOUR FLASHING NEEDS.

CREDIT: KOUSH FOR HIS AWESOME WORK

So, you want some lovely touch based CWM recovery on your device?

METHOD NUMBER 1: The Fastboot! - NO NEED FOR ROOT
    Come right this way you fearless young chap.

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

download the tf201 touch recovery, version 5.8.1.8

Now, switch off your device, then hold volume DOWN and the power button together until your Prime shows the RCK screen.

At this point press volume down. This will take you to the options of which fastboot is one.

Switch to fastboot mode by pressing volume DOWN (It's the USB symbol, but you knew that already else you wouldn't be here) then press volume UP to select the option.

Connect your USB cable now, if you haven't already.

Next you need to open a command prompt/terminal window and cd to where you have downloaded the .img

Next type fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img

Once the flash has completed (the screen will sit with a full blue bar doing nothing) you can reboot to recovery as per normal, but now you will have the wonderful touch recovery.

METHOD NUMBER 2: The blob!
    CREDIT to Striatum_bdr

- download the img file
    $ su
    # dd if=/"path to blobfile" of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 (REPLACE "path to blobfile" with the path to where you have saved the file).

You're done.
    Reboot, the blob file will be flashed at boot (same as kernel).

METHOD NUMBER 3: The Terminal noob!
    CREDIT to darksiiide

!!!HUZZAH FOR KOUSH!!!
    I hope you all enjoy.

My recommendation would be to do a fresh backup of your ROM as soon as you boot into the new recovery, just in case.

- download the img file
    $ su

You're done.
    I tried method 2 but it did not work...am I supposed to insert the filename somewhere?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

Yes, change the following - take out the """...""" to where you have the file on the sdcard:

$ su
    # dd if=/"""file path""" of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4

Like this for me: # dd if=/sdcard/clockworkmod/cwm_touch.blob.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4

Should work for you then. :)
    IMPORTANT: Do not upgrade to version 5.8.3.4 - the backup process is broken.
    Quick question.
    When I install Rom Manager from market and let it install CWM.
    Do I have ext sd card support back and only lose the ability of touch?

You will lose touch, yes; however, you will not gain ext sd card support. There is NOT a CWM version available yet in any fashion. :(

Sent from my EEEPAD using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5