Replacement to mt4g by T-mobile?

Search This thread

Novarox

Oct 8, 2011
Brooklyn, Ny
Hey all,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums and I've noticed quite a few people upgrading to the Sensation. From what I can tell, there's a way to get a FREE Sensation by sending your mt4g to T-Mobile for repairs since HTC no longer makes the mt4g. Is this correct? I asked a T-mo customer service rep and she said it isn't true. Of course, she could have been told to tell customers that so we don't all suddenly break our phones and have a new more expensive phone given to us.

If this is true, how can I return a phone after I've rooted it? I've seen various guides on how to return to stock and put s-on back. Would this be enough to get passed the voided warranty issue of a rooted phone?

What if my mt4g is actually in 100% working condition? Is there a safe way to damage it just enough to warrant a replacement?

Thanks, all! Sorry if this was posted in the wrong area.

Novarox

Oct 8, 2011
Brooklyn, Ny
Yeah, I read about that too. I would tell them up front that I will not accept a downgrade but require a phone of equal or greater value. I'm used to crappy service from these big companies and have found that if you make a big deal out of something, they'll do anything they can to shut you up.

saranhai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Nowhere
only a few lucky people have gotten the Sensation as a replacement... :/

it kinda depends on whether you get a good rep or not... if you get a bad one.. well good luck with that... lol

as far as bricking... i guess you could always flash a Radio or some system file not made for this device... but be careful with that

Novarox

Oct 8, 2011
Brooklyn, Ny
Thanks for the reply, S, but I never mentioned bricking in my post lol.

So it looks like the only two devices that are given as replacements are the Sensation and the LG mt4g, right?

Now to my final question; how do you purposely cause your phone to malfunction so T-mo will have to replace it while not voiding your warranty? My guess is to press one of the hardware keys hard enough so it gets stuck. Probably the track pad since I've read reports of people getting theirs stuck. Worst case scenario here is that your phone has no track pad, but who uses that on their mt4g anyway?

estallings15

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply, S, but I never mentioned bricking in my post lol.

So it looks like the only two devices that are given as replacements are the Sensation and the LG mt4g, right?

Now to my final question; how do you purposely cause your phone to malfunction so T-mo will have to replace it while not voiding your warranty? My guess is to press one of the hardware keys hard enough so it gets stuck. Probably the track pad since I've read reports of people getting theirs stuck. Worst case scenario here is that your phone has no track pad, but who uses that on their mt4g anyway?

Uuuh, that's what saranhai was referring to. Reread his post.

oak25

be careful, I think in your situation it would be best to report it lost. Personally, my wife lost her phone and they were going to send us an LG phone, but I said no way. It is the MT4G or a better phone. I also told them that my contract is up in a few months and will leave if i get an LG. They said they will call me back today.

Novarox

Oct 8, 2011
Brooklyn, Ny
Uuuh, that's what saranhai was referring to. Reread his post.

He suggested I brick my phone which would imply I rooted my phone which would in turn void my warranty.

be careful, I think in your situation it would be best to report it lost. Personally, my wife lost her phone and they were going to send us an LG phone, but I said no way. It is the MT4G or a better phone. I also told them that my contract is up in a few months and will leave if i get an LG. They said they will call me back today.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you get charged a little over $100 if you report your phone as lost or stolen?

saranhai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Nowhere
He suggested I brick my phone which would imply I rooted my phone which would in turn void my warranty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you get charged a little over $100 if you report your phone as lost or stolen?

Flashing a PD15IMG.zip from another device doesn't require root access...
Plus I turned in a dead phone that was rooted. They never found out or if they did... they didn't care.

Sent from my Infernalized Glacier!

-Team Inferno

estallings15

Apr 22, 2011
Lol. Assuming always gets me too.

Hypothetically, you could TRY getting, say, a radio from a different HTC device and renaming it PD15IMG.zip and placing it on the root of your sd card. Boot into bootloader and it will check for the file and ask if you want to flash it. Flashing the wrong radio will totally screw your phone over. No root needed. However, I can't condone insurance fraud. That's highly illegal

:)

cjwebb

Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
Id imagine they'd send you an HTC mytouch 4g seeing as it is still sold on there website so no use In destroying your phone unless you have a bad emmc/screen

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

Nicgraner

Dec 14, 2010
Dripping Springs
Unless they're in a good mood or something they'll send a sidekick 4G (A pink one at that) and I've gone as far as demanding to speak to a supervisor to no avail and then I see 3-4 guys getting sensations, ugh. Hahah but yes flashing a radio doesn't require root neither does pulling the battery a few times while doing that.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

THEindian

Nov 20, 2011
I agree with you man.
Honestly, i don't understand why you want a new phone in the first place, the MT4G is a great phone and probably performs as well as the sensation anyway...
And Nic, you're right, they offered my a sidekick 4g and then they got upset that i didn't want a downgrade lol....
I have the bad emmc but good screen (which makes it all better) :D

jjbadd385

Jul 10, 2011
Laurens S.C.
I would like to see a "good " screen, because I've owned 4 "bad" ones, & they have all been brilliant. In fact, I can't see it getting any better...

Sent from my HTC Mytouch 4G using Tapatalk

Novarox

Oct 8, 2011
Brooklyn, Ny
You are correct, and this is the reason phones and plans cost so much! I'd the phone is fine then why duck it up and become a criminal because you want a new phone! I wish I knew your name and number so I could call and report you!

Am i?

I've never done this, and I had the same view as you expressed here. But after reading of so many people thinking of doing this, and no one expressly trying to stop this, I figured why not join the bandwagon.

If you can't beat em, join em, especially if there's no opposition. Anyway, relax. This was mostly theoretical and I've decided to wait on the HTC One for my upgrade. Or maybe even something even better that may or may not spring up by then.

ext1rpate

Feb 5, 2012
I doubt they'll send you a sensation...

A couple of months ago I got a replacement phone sent because the proximity sensor on my old mt4g would cause the screen to go black during a call and I would not be able to get it to turn back on unless I turned the phone off. So I sent off my old phone and got a replacement mt4g.

I'm pretty sure they still have them in their warehouses.

irrelephant

Jan 17, 2010
Houston
Am i?

I've never done this, and I had the same view as you expressed here. But after reading of so many people thinking of doing this, and no one expressly trying to stop this, I figured why not join the bandwagon.

If you can't beat em, join em, especially if there's no opposition. Anyway, relax. This was mostly theoretical and I've decided to wait on the HTC One for my upgrade. Or maybe even something even better that may or may not spring up by then.

So because I live in an area where there are dope dealers I should sell dope too? I guess keeping good values when other dont is just too much for some people... I refuse to let myself be brought down to,that level. I find it more gratifying to work my ass off and save a little to get the thing I want/need, rather than lie cheat and steal! Its not a shot at you, but at all the people that have been doing it. As this make everything worse on all of us!

Reactions: dementor123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This entire thread is an awful idea.
    Guys, don't give him a hard time...but also don't think i support him doing so.
    Am i?

So because I live in an area where there are dope dealers I should sell dope too? I guess keeping good values when other dont is just too much for some people... I refuse to let myself be brought down to,that level. I find it more gratifying to work my ass off and save a little to get the thing I want/need, rather than lie cheat and steal! Its not a shot at you, but at all the people that have been doing it. As this make everything worse on all of us!

What I exactly did since I had insurance was report my phone stolen and then they told me to get the Samsung galaxy s and just to pay 110 for the difference of the phone. And u get to keep the mytouch too :)

wow so you lied...?

i'd rather get things the honest way... that's why i'm saving up for a Sensation on Craigslist.