[Brick] "Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0 doesn't contain a valid partition table"

Search This thread

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
I was posting in an old thread in Q&A, but now I see my issue is different from in that thread so I'm starting a new one. Thanks to those helping me so far. I'm pretty I'sure there isn't an answer for this one and my NC is truly hard bricked, but now that I see what the issue is, I thought I'd try one last time to see if anyone had an answer.

My NC is one of the originals, more than a year old, has been flashed to CM since it came out, and until recently was running CM7.1 stable. Then one day a few weeks ago the graphical screen lock pattern wouldn't work and after too many attempts when google asked me to put in my password I could not because the keyboard (swype) wouldn't come up to let me enter it. (I NO LONGER PUT PASSWORDS ON MY ANDROID DEVICES NOW!!!). So I powered off, and it hung powering up. So I rebooted into CWM and tried to flash a backup which threw me into a boot loop. So then I wiped data, cache, dalvik cache (never formatted anything else, I am 100% sure), and reflashed CM7.1 and it was dead.

Currently I have tried many many recovery methods to no avail, have tried to flash back to stock to no avail. The NC will only power on with a SD card inserted no matter what button combo I try.

I installed ADB and this is the output:

~# fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7944 MB, 7944011776 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 242432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0 doesn't contain a valid partition table.
~#

Back in the day I rebuilt many a partition table on many an old PC, and plenty of computers that existed before the PC, and all kinds of other weird stuff, but I can't find a way to do it on this NC. After long hours of search, I think the above means that my nook is done and it is ready for target practice, is that correct?

Last edited:

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
[sigh] I managed to adb push boot.img over to mmcblk0p1, it made no difference.

I had hoped that there was some script or utility out there that could just repartition my NC, but apparently it has to be done manually and the knowledge of how to do it is sparce. It's getting to the point where this just isn't worth it to me anymore, I've already wasted many days at it. This is a good excuse to get a newer/faster tab with GPS and compass and ICS preinstalled I guess.

I have a feeling that a little sector the flash drive decided to die and as of yet there just isn't a good way to fix it. For a few minutes I was remembering back in days of DOS manually marking out bad sectors and formatting around them. Eh. I'm too old for that stuff now I guess.

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
and now I think I should rant:

WTF with 8 partitions???? That's such a hack. I understand two partitions, but most any OS old or new will run well in 1 partition, or maybe add a second for swap and a 3rd for recovery. But eight? That's crazy and makes me like android a lot less. I'm far more suspicious of my other android devices now and I have a lot of them. I could see manually Fdisking 1 or 2 partitions back to life, but 8? That's hell.

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
...and so after digging around for a few more hours, I see that quite a number of people have bricked B&N Tablets too with similar problems so though it's been a nice run, I've decided to jump ship. Taking the Nook to the range today :)

But what to replace it with. B&N Tablet? Nope, more of the same. Kindle Fire? Nope, might as well just get another NC. I stumbled on the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Dual processor, bluetooth, GPS, compass, 7" <$250 wow!!!!! I found my new tablet!!!

hackerse7en

Jan 8, 2011
Porto
I was posting in an old thread in Q&A, but now I see my issue is different from in that thread so I'm starting a new one. Thanks to those helping me so far. I'm pretty I'sure there isn't an answer for this one and my NC is truly hard bricked, but now that I see what the issue is, I thought I'd try one last time to see if anyone had an answer.

My NC is one of the originals, more than a year old, has been flashed to CM since it came out, and until recently was running CM7.1 stable. Then one day a few weeks ago the graphical screen lock pattern wouldn't work and after too many attempts when google asked me to put in my password I could not because the keyboard (swype) wouldn't come up to let me enter it. (I NO LONGER PUT PASSWORDS ON MY ANDROID DEVICES NOW!!!). So I powered off, and it hung powering up. So I rebooted into CWM and tried to flash a backup which threw me into a boot loop. So then I wiped data, cache, dalvik cache (never formatted anything else, I am 100% sure), and reflashed CM7.1 and it was dead.

Currently I have tried many many recovery methods to no avail, have tried to flash back to stock to no avail. The NC will only power on with a SD card inserted no matter what button combo I try.

~#

Back in the day I rebuilt many a partition table on many an old PC, and plenty of computers that existed before the PC, and all kinds of other weird stuff, but I can't find a way to do it on this NC. After long hours of search, I think the above means that my nook is done and it is ready for target practice, is that correct?

have you solved this problem yet?
if no i may help you, happenz the same at me sometimes one partition can be damaged and he dont list others partitions due to that, i just fix mine and i make a backup of my images and now i can flash them if i have problems like you, if u want send me a pm and i will upload them ;)

Reactions: iolinux333

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
if no i may help you, happenz the same at me sometimes one partition can be damaged and he dont list others partitions due to that, i just fix mine and i make a backup of my images and now i can flash them if i have problems like you, if u want send me a pm and i will upload them ;)

a last minute reprieve from the governor?

PM Sent!

nellatl

Nov 22, 2014

I have this problem now on lgv20 whats the solution?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

~#