Which phone will become the HD2 successor? (dev love)

Search This thread

YUMad

Jan 24, 2011
Hello everyone, this is yet another "which phone should I get" thread, so if you are sick of them please move on but I would be grateful for every input.

So up to now I have been using N900 which to me is a very good device, with a lot of room to improve of course, but lack off Nokia's support has just pissed me off. I'm a heavy google user (gmail, calendar & stuff) so android seems like a natural progression. Now, since I have N900 I'm obviously into modding and stuff I'm looking for a very similar android device. Atm that would be HTC HD2, the thing is I consider this phone just too old, I'm looking for a fairly new device, possibly not even out yet, which is sure to get a lot of love from xda and other devs. So yeah, I'm not even sure if it's possible to foretold which device will become the new HD2 in the android world, perhaps it has something to do with open hardware drivers, hope you guys have a better clue. I plan to stick with this phone for another 1,5 year and I just can't afford 2 smart phones at the same time, so I'm basically looking for the best long term investment.

Please, note that I'm from Europe, where not all devices are available or will be delayed. I can probably wait with the purchase until May. I don't have any preferences towards particular brand.

Thank you for your help,
YUMad

lude219

Jul 13, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
As of right now, there's no worthy HD2 successor yet. HTC ups their high-end phone every year (diamond 2008, blackstone 2009, HD2 2010, etc) so cross your fingers for that mythical 1.5ghz dual-core snapdragon hopefully by the end of this year...:D

freeridindirtbiker

Dec 9, 2010
In my opinion, The HD2 is still one of the biggest power houses on the market. A 1 ghz processor. Yea there making awesome phones, but very few of them are being made with the components that are within the HD2. Correct me if I'm wrong. Its a stacked phone and you pair it with an Android ROM, and its right up there with anything else.

samizad

How about a poll?

I agree that the HD2 is getting too old to buy as a new phone. I think the step change we've all been looking forward to is coming in the forms of the dual core processor phones due this year. I think it will be a choice along the lines of:

1. Motorola Atrix
2. LG Optimus 2x
3. Other Android device
4. Other WP7 device

I have been a die hard HTC fan since 2002 so I wish I could vote for Option 3 but I just can't wait so I pick Option 1.

See http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/37892/lg-optimus-2x-vs-motorola-atrix-4g

YUMad

Jan 24, 2011
The point is you can't just look at any mobile you'd like, compare it specs to HD2 and say, all right we have a rightful successor, there are many other factors to consider. Again, I'm not a developer myself so I don't know much about the whole process but for example N900 still doesn't have a full android experience ported and that is due to closed nature of it's hardware drivers rather than hardware limitations. Also, as far as I know this forum was/is mostly about HTC handsets so I believe a HTC product will be heavly favoured.

freeridindirtbiker

Dec 9, 2010
You really will like the HD2. I got mine for 49 bucks when my contract was up for my blackberry a couple months back. Ive loved it. So many different options to choose from and the custom ROM's just add to the mix. I just put the new NAND Android ROM on mine and it runs flawlessly. Not 1 issue soo far and it is freaking fast. No offense to Windows, but Android software is second to none. Like I said earlier, match these two things together, and you will have a powerhouse thats just as good, possibly even way better than the Droid 2 and Evo 4G. I'd recommend getting this phone...But I do recommend that you upgrade to Android. Any questions, just leave me a message. :)

douwe1

Jan 24, 2011
hd2

there is no phone who can beat hd2 maybe the samsun galaxy s how ever we will wait for the 1.5 ghz phone but the hd2 is thé phone!!!!

Essenar

Oct 25, 2008
There's no way of knowing, because manufacturers rightfully don't release information on the hardware that would be important in identifying an "HD2 successor". What made the HD2 so amazing was the completely unlocked bootloader/NAND. Plus the hardware on it was ahead of its time. People talk about the phone as if it was a 2010 phone, not even realizing it came out in November 2009!

HTC Vision may be the 2011 version but no one knows for sure.

rukhi

Jun 4, 2010
Islamabad
i personally think HD2 has a couple of years left ...
every manufacturer accidently makes a phone that amazez every one :p
For instance Motorola had mm L7 few years back it was modded till i finally bricked it :p same is the case with HD2. i mean with so many developers working on this phone i think there is more to come. As far as succesor is concerned well im no programmer but each os is processor dependant. As long as they keep recipe the same we can be looking into a new Super moddable phone :)

P.S i dont think dual core or that crap would change much, as long as we have so many choices on HD2 im still drooling over it :p

HectiQ

May 11, 2010
I <3 my HD2
best phone I ever bought :D

for development/much tweaks you need an older phone :p the older the more been developped plus the HD2 has a series of great dev's

plus MIUI on HTC HD2 is so much more than iphone :p
I wanted an iphone 4 lately, some guy wanted to talk me into trading it,
then I tried and I hate that the iphone only has one button, it's not as responsive. next to that all icons are in homescreen, you can only make maps, in android you can switch between launcher or homescreen, and so on..

No newer phone at the market really makes me say 'wow' atm, but I can't deny I look every day, for u successor.
When will I make the step?

- Water and dustproof
- glass better then gorillaglas
- 4G / 5G :p
- 10 MP cam
- android
- SUPERB batterylife
- good antenna
- DLNA
- HDMI
- WIFI N
- VOICE COMMANDS IN MY LANGUAGE

I don't care who makes it but I'll get it :p

Last edited:

ketzazu

May 8, 2010
shattered screen

Someone accidentally made my HD2 drop and shattered the screen with a sofa smashing her against the wall. I was quoted $150 US by ubreakifix to replace the screen. I can't wait to get if fixed even though the HTC One S is $200 plus $20/month for 20 months. Yes the One S sports modern specs but it is not as gorgeous as the HD2.

I borrowed my daughter's HD2 and gave her the iPhone 3GS. She was not happy. Even though she is not using a data plan.

I want a Windows Phone which hackers can tweak to run Android. But nothing less than the HTC HD2.

Windows Phone 8 is a long way.