Linux

Search This thread

injola

Aug 9, 2013
There are projects to install linux on android in various ways or to install software similar to linux desktops.

In principle, they should work on our device. But, I have tried a few, with no luck. I guess it is
because the Samsung firmware is modified. It seems to be a question of permissions.

I tried debian kit http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2737935. I have
made a bit of progress since then, but it still does not work.

I tried both botbrew and botbrew basil. Neither of these worked. Always 'permission denied'.
As I said in the thread above, sometimes 'shell' can do things that 'root' cannot. Someone with
a different Samsung device was unable to install debian kit, but could do it after flashing cyanogenmod.
I want to retain S pen capabilities, so I don't want to do this. But if all these problems are really
due to the Samsung ROM....

There are some methods that don't require root. I have not tried these yet. You can look on the play store.
One difference is if you install linux in a chroot environment, or if it has access to the android files.
debian kit requires root and is not dual boot and not chroot. The
linux software is visible along with android binaries while debian kit is switched on.

I am also looking for flexible ways to transfer files over USB. No luck yet. E.g. I want to maintain a mirror of
a directory from a linux desktop to the device. Wifi is slower and not always available. There is an
app Ftp Server that allows you to ftp over USB using port forwarding with adb. Together with lftp,
this should provide a solution. But, this also fails for me. I can't be sure it is a Samsung problem.

I'd like to see an explanation of the relevant differences between Samsung and plain android.