Build.prop Worktool for Windows (v1.7 - July 26 2011)

Search This thread
Script is standalone : you can download latest version without upgrading from previous version :)
v1.6 > Big update on 3G+ tweak addon, more powerful and much faster :)
Build.prop Worktool - A powerful but safe build.prop manager/editor

Hi !

Okay guys, since I know how powerful the build.prop can be, I love to play with it.

But I was bored to edit using Root Explorer, or using ADB command-line...

So... Let me present you my outrageously complicated (internally) script to manage your build.prop right from your computer, with ease, fun and safety !

GENERAL :
  • For any Windows NT kernel (Developped under Windows 7 x64... so should work everywhere :))
  • Portable and ready to use - No installation required, all files included (ADB with drivers also)
  • Lightweight (<3Mb unzipped, because of ADB very big lol)
  • Tested on XPERA x10i but should work on ANY Android powered device (if your ROM uses a build.prop located into /system/)

KEY FEATURES :
  • Easy open/edit your build.prop in your default text editor
  • Backup creation/management
  • Save backup on your computer and/or on your device
  • Safe (Automatic backup generator - Manages up to 2 backup files, exhaustive log file)
  • Automatic permissions management
  • Add-on capability : possible to add automated installation scripts to tweak your build.prop
  • List of present add-ons : 3G+ enhancement tweak
  • Very clean : deletes all temporary files, auto start/stop ADB server and kills the process when useless
  • Convenient : direct access to this thread, easy to use
  • v1.6+ : (beta) Build.prop XPlorer, to check with ease your build.prop

I based the main script on my 3G+ enhancement script, available on the official thread.

** As usual... Use at your own risk ;) **

Test, comment, criticize, if you find anything, just drop a comment or PM :)

Attachments

• Build_prop_Worktool_15.zip
    800.8 KB · Views: 3,280
  • worktoolsplash.jpg
    worktoolsplash.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3,444
  • Build_prop_Worktool_16.zip
    852.4 KB · Views: 950
  • Build_prop_Worktool_17.zip
    853.1 KB · Views: 11,078
Last edited:
FAQ

FAQ​
- Supported devices
It is first developped for Sony Ericsson XPERIA x10, but it should work on any Android device with these requirements :
* Rooted
* File system is mounted Read/Write.
* Build.prop is located into /system/ and named "build.prop"

Sony Ericsson XPERIA x10 : fully working
Samsung Galaxy S2 : half working (file system is read-only...)

- How it's working ?
The script works generally in this way :

1. It downloads from your device your build.prop and creates two temporary backups.
  2. Then, it opens one of the temporary backup into notepad, to let you edit all you want.
  3. Once file closed/saved, the file is reconfigured automatically, then sent back to your device.
  4. The script allows you next to keep, on wish, the remaining backup and to reboot your device.

- Is this safe ?
The script makes a backup of your build.prop every time you try to access it. There's also human-friendly log file to help you identify problems with ease.
There is also NO automatic upload to your device : the script will always ask you before if you want to upload the new build.prop to your device. Even if you upload it, backup is stored and can even be stored safely on your device for future use.

- Is this all automatic ?
Yes. The script makes backups by itself, reboot your device for you (if you wish), and of course change permissions. But don't worry : it will ask your approval for any important process :)

- The 3G tweak makes my connection unstable !
The Manager is based on my 3G+ enhancement script, using "Full Mode". In the original script, there is also a "Lite Mode" for some networks (like AT&T) I included in v1.3.
To make your network stable, the script will disable the two lines below :
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1 (will be turned to 0)
ro.ril.enable.a53=1 (will be turned to 0)

To get full details about the 3G+ tweak, check the thread :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=951765

Why is there "so many" different batch files ?
It's easier for me to improve/maintain the batch by splitting it into different functions. There's a main script, and subroutines called when needed.
Of course, all the subroutines, including addons, are programmed to be run only from main script. You can run any subroutine separately, but it will mostly crash and create useless files not being deleted. Always run the main script, and do no try to run separately subroutine - not dangerous, but 100% useless/buggy.

- It's not working.
* Make sure your device is :
** ROOTED,
** Full external access to system (su command) [if not, will drop errors like "Operations not permitted" or "file system is mounted read only")
** USB Debugging is enabled,
** Connected using USB and all USB drivers are installed/working.
* You might need administrative privileges in Windows to fully run the program.
* If you're running your device from recovery, you may need to mount /system/ folder before running the script (Partition tools > Mount /system).

- It's still not working.
* Drop a message in the official thread.
* If you get errors about file system Read only, try to run your device in Recovery mode, and fix permissions.

- Will the script create lots of files/make a big drive footprint ?
I hate programs creating lots of temp files. So, the script was developped to create files AND to clean/remove them all once everything is done. Even if it crashes without removing files, you just need to restart the script - it will clean all previous temporary files.
If ADB is run, it WILL be fully closed once everything is done. Server will be killed, then ADB process (named adb.exe) will be killed. Your system will be as clean as it was before running the script.
The script is of course fully portable : there's no installation needed. You can put the script where you want, but you just need to keep all script files/folders in the same folder.
In a future release, I'll add something to purge the log file.

- Which OS is supported ?
It's developped in Windows 7 x64. You should be able to fully run it on any 2000+ Windows NT OS.
As it is NT script, it will work only on Windows computer. It will also not work properly on pure DOS (it's using NT commands and Windows-related commands not included in older Windows NT systems, like NT4).
Report if you tested it on other Microsoft OS (NT 4, Windows 95, 98 or 2000, Dos 6.22...) :)

- I wanna contribute.
Just right click the .cmd/bat files, edit them with Notepad or anything you want ;)
You can also send me a message (thread or PM) if you notice some piece of code I can improve with other commands (I don't know DOS commands enough :D )

v1.0 (11/5/2011) = initial release
v1.1 (13/5/2011) = removed BFC tags, updated error 2 (ADB get-state, to help you identify problem), removed 3G tweak returns error 3 if not present (addon = not necessary), added template.bat to create add-ons, improved launcher.bat (add-on primitive detection), added add-on installation detector (displays backup/reboot options only when add-on was installed), corrected folder "\" bug
v1.2 (13 may formely 14/5/2011) = added automated deleter/file checker for 3G+ tweak. Still early stage but looks to work. Automated batch thanks to http://www.dostips.com
v1.3 (16/5/2011) = added 3G+ enhancement lite mode (for networks like AT&T) and removed 1 step on auto deletion, fixed bug of false error when trying to download from device a build.prop.bak not existing, added management options to Backup (send local backup to device, delete backup on device), solved backup internal error
v1.4 (29/5/2011) = fixed window console size, enhanced menus, faster script closing, log file generator, several bugs fixed, enhanced help (readme in Notepad, direct open XDA thread in Firefox), added adb.exe process killer
v1.5 (6/6/2011) = added console title, fixed some menu bugs, updated Readme, weblinks now open in the default user browser, build.prop will now open in default notepad editor, improved interface, fixed unexpected exit bug, added contact me using default email (still experimental)
v1.6 (15/6/2011) = improved ADB process killing, deeply improved 3G tweak script with sed and no more TXT file, readme opens in your default editor, improved interface, updated template, unified common subroutines into BAKengine.bat, user-friendly explorer of build.prop (not great for now), deleted Substengine (deprecated), "0" in menues now refers to Go Back/Exit, improved missing engines detection, added general temp/log file purger/deleter ** To celebrate The Legend of Zelda series 25th Anniversary, my script is now tagged "Powered by Hyrule DOS"
DETAILLED 3G Addon update :
- detects presence of previous installation and files
- Sed command : fastest detection and subtitute of lines
- Optimized for fastest operation and fully clean build.prop file
- Several stuff...
External SED support thanks to GNU Utilities for win32 @ http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
v1.7 (26/7/2011) = fixed no deletion of TEMP folder/files, fixed ADB command not found, new entries for XPlorer

Known bugs :
* (Main) Will not detect if build.prop.bak and build.prop.old are the same (not very important, I'll improve this later)
* Report anything you find :)

Last edited:
Developper/Advanced user addendum

(Write in progress)

Backup management
The script creates up to two backups, localed in main directory :
- build.prop.bak
- build.prop.old

Build.prop.old is generated if the script detects there's an existing build.prop.bak, to avoid accidental loss of it.
Build.prop.old is the final backup, and WILL BE DELETED if detected. The script manages backups like this :

1. If an existing build.prop.bak is present...
>> Script will detect for build.prop.old presence - if it exists, it will be deleted,
>> the build.prop.bak will be renamed to build.prop.old.

2. If there is no build.prop.bak detected...
>> Script will generate a build.prop.bak.

ADB Error detection
Error 2 (device not connected) works using a trick - it's not really related to device state.
In fact, the script will attempt to connect your device to download your build.prop. Once it is done - or not - the script checks if a local build.prop file was created. If it's not present, it means ADB encountered an error - about 90% because device is not connected - and will display error 2.
Keep in mind then there is small chance that your error does NOT come of device not connected : administrative privileges missing (don't allow the script to create the file), drivers buggy, ...)

Last edited:
Reactions: a2ha

Joyo-rocker

May 25, 2014
Delhi
Really good work

FAQ​
- Supported devices
It is first developped for Sony Ericsson XPERIA x10, but it should work on any Android device with these requirements :
* Rooted

- How it's working ?

1. It downloads from your device your build.prop and creates two temporary backups.
  2. Then, it opens one of the temporary backup into notepad, to let you edit all you want.
  3. Once file closed/saved, the file is reconfigured automatically, then sent back to your device.
  4. The script allows you next to keep, on wish, the remaining backup and to reboot your device.

- Is this safe ?
The script makes a backup of your build.prop every time you try to access it. There's also human-friendly log file to help you identify problems with ease.
There is also NO automatic upload to your device : the script will always ask you before if you want to upload the new build.prop to your device. Even if you upload it, backup is stored and can even be stored safely on your device for future use.

Yes. The script makes backups by itself, reboot your device for you (if you wish), and of course change permissions. But don't worry : it will ask your approval for any important process :)

The Manager is based on my 3G+ enhancement script, using "Full Mode". In the original script, there is also a "Lite Mode" for some networks (like AT&T) I included in v1.3.

It's easier for me to improve/maintain the batch by splitting it into different functions. There's a main script, and subroutines called when needed.
Of course, all the subroutines, including addons, are programmed to be run only from main script. You can run any subroutine separately, but it will mostly crash and create useless files not being deleted. Always run the main script, and do no try to run separately subroutine - not dangerous, but 100% useless/buggy.

- It's not working.
** ROOTED,
** Full external access to system (su command) [if not, will drop errors like "Operations not permitted" or "file system is mounted read only")
* If you're running your device from recovery, you may need to mount /system/ folder before running the script (Partition tools > Mount /system).

* If you get errors about file system Read only, try to run your device in Recovery mode, and fix permissions.

I hate programs creating lots of temp files. So, the script was developped to create files AND to clean/remove them all once everything is done. Even if it crashes without removing files, you just need to restart the script - it will clean all previous temporary files.
If ADB is run, it WILL be fully closed once everything is done. Server will be killed, then ADB process (named adb.exe) will be killed. Your system will be as clean as it was before running the script.
The script is of course fully portable : there's no installation needed. You can put the script where you want, but you just need to keep all script files/folders in the same folder.

It's developped in Windows 7 x64. You should be able to fully run it on any 2000+ Windows NT OS.
As it is NT script, it will work only on Windows computer. It will also not work properly on pure DOS (it's using NT commands and Windows-related commands not included in older Windows NT systems, like NT4).
Report if you tested it on other Microsoft OS (NT 4, Windows 95, 98 or 2000, Dos 6.22...) :)

- I wanna contribute.
Just right click the .cmd/bat files, edit them with Notepad or anything you want ;)
You can also send me a message (thread or PM) if you notice some piece of code I can improve with other commands (I don't know DOS commands enough :D )

v1.1 (13/5/2011) = removed BFC tags, updated error 2 (ADB get-state, to help you identify problem), removed 3G tweak returns error 3 if not present (addon = not necessary), added template.bat to create add-ons, improved launcher.bat (add-on primitive detection), added add-on installation detector (displays backup/reboot options only when add-on was installed), corrected folder "\" bug
v1.2 (13 may formely 14/5/2011) = added automated deleter/file checker for 3G+ tweak. Still early stage but looks to work. Automated batch thanks to http://www.dostips.com
v1.3 (16/5/2011) = added 3G+ enhancement lite mode (for networks like AT&T) and removed 1 step on auto deletion, fixed bug of false error when trying to download from device a build.prop.bak not existing, added management options to Backup (send local backup to device, delete backup on device), solved backup internal error
v1.4 (29/5/2011) = fixed window console size, enhanced menus, faster script closing, log file generator, several bugs fixed, enhanced help (readme in Notepad, direct open XDA thread in Firefox), added adb.exe process killer
v1.5 (6/6/2011) = added console title, fixed some menu bugs, updated Readme, weblinks now open in the default user browser, build.prop will now open in default notepad editor, improved interface, fixed unexpected exit bug, added contact me using default email (still experimental)
v1.6 (15/6/2011) = improved ADB process killing, deeply improved 3G tweak script with sed and no more TXT file, readme opens in your default editor, improved interface, updated template, unified common subroutines into BAKengine.bat, user-friendly explorer of build.prop (not great for now), deleted Substengine (deprecated), "0" in menues now refers to Go Back/Exit, improved missing engines detection, added general temp/log file purger/deleter ** To celebrate The Legend of Zelda series 25th Anniversary, my script is now tagged "Powered by Hyrule DOS"
- Several stuff...
External SED support thanks to GNU Utilities for win32 @ http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
v1.7 (26/7/2011) = fixed no deletion of TEMP folder/files, fixed ADB command not found, new entries for XPlorer

Known bugs :
* (Main) Will not detect if build.prop.bak and build.prop.old are the same (not very important, I'll improve this later)

Hey mate...
lovely piece of work..!
saved me hours at my work...
thanks a lot works flawlessly on
sony xperia tipo dual with cm 10

mikedenney

Sep 18, 2011
Bowling Green
www.pcdr.co
Ur da bomb

As you probably already know, you are DA BOMB, BABY!
I just [snicker] used your tool to save my rather idiotic...er, 'brain' from suffering through a dumb, hard night re-flashing SlimKat 4.4.2 back onto my LG Optimus G e970 just to fix something I should've never done to begin with (change screen density to make it easier to read, of course, but without really knowing what I was doing)...
aherm...well, anyway, here I sit at a pre-midnight hour thanking you profusely, sir, because, as I said at the start...
UR DA BOMB!!!
Here's hoping you get bored a lot more often...it's a keeper, fer sure.:victory:

KP@2016

Apr 21, 2016
Mumbai
kpstvhub.com
Good work dude... Nice toolkit, loved it very much... I am integrating your tool into my new upcoming toolkit. Dont worry i am not gonna steal it, will just use it. Will surely give you proper credits for that

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
thanks for this useful helper. i know how to modify build.prop - thats not the reason why i came here. what i don't know is the meaning of all this different entries in build.prop for example ro.expect.recovery_id - which there was a catalog with information about included in a build.prop Tweak GUI

Taki69

Feb 1, 2019
sorry but the program cant detect/ acces build.prop

my device is rooted, has debugging on and is connected via USB
plz help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Script is standalone : you can download latest version without upgrading from previous version :)
    v1.6 > Big update on 3G+ tweak addon, more powerful and much faster :)
    Build.prop Worktool - A powerful but safe build.prop manager/editor

Hi !

Okay guys, since I know how powerful the build.prop can be, I love to play with it.

But I was bored to edit using Root Explorer, or using ADB command-line...

So... Let me present you my outrageously complicated (internally) script to manage your build.prop right from your computer, with ease, fun and safety !

GENERAL :
    • For any Windows NT kernel (Developped under Windows 7 x64... so should work everywhere :))
    • Portable and ready to use - No installation required, all files included (ADB with drivers also)
    • Lightweight (<3Mb unzipped, because of ADB very big lol)
    • Tested on XPERA x10i but should work on ANY Android powered device (if your ROM uses a build.prop located into /system/)

KEY FEATURES :
    • Easy open/edit your build.prop in your default text editor
    • Backup creation/management
    • Save backup on your computer and/or on your device
    • Safe (Automatic backup generator - Manages up to 2 backup files, exhaustive log file)
    • Automatic permissions management
    • Add-on capability : possible to add automated installation scripts to tweak your build.prop
    • List of present add-ons : 3G+ enhancement tweak
    • Very clean : deletes all temporary files, auto start/stop ADB server and kills the process when useless
    • Convenient : direct access to this thread, easy to use
    • v1.6+ : (beta) Build.prop XPlorer, to check with ease your build.prop

I based the main script on my 3G+ enhancement script, available on the official thread.

** As usual... Use at your own risk ;) **

Test, comment, criticize, if you find anything, just drop a comment or PM :)
    FAQ

FAQ​
    - Supported devices
    * Rooted

- How it's working ?

- Is this safe ?

- It's not working.
    ** ROOTED,

- I wanna contribute.

- Several stuff...

Known bugs :
    Developper/Advanced user addendum

(Write in progress)

Backup management
    The script creates up to two backups, localed in main directory :
    - build.prop.bak
    - build.prop.old

Build.prop.old is generated if the script detects there's an existing build.prop.bak, to avoid accidental loss of it.
    Build.prop.old is the final backup, and WILL BE DELETED if detected. The script manages backups like this :

1. If an existing build.prop.bak is present...
    >> Script will detect for build.prop.old presence - if it exists, it will be deleted,
    >> the build.prop.bak will be renamed to build.prop.old.

2. If there is no build.prop.bak detected...
    >> Script will generate a build.prop.bak.

ADB Error detection
    Error 2 (device not connected) works using a trick - it's not really related to device state.
    In fact, the script will attempt to connect your device to download your build.prop. Once it is done - or not - the script checks if a local build.prop file was created. If it's not present, it means ADB encountered an error - about 90% because device is not connected - and will display error 2.
    Keep in mind then there is small chance that your error does NOT come of device not connected : administrative privileges missing (don't allow the script to create the file), drivers buggy, ...)
    Hi,
    I cant use your WorkTool V1.6
    It says ADB cmd not found.
    Really good work

FAQ​
    - Supported devices
    * Rooted

- How it's working ?

- Is this safe ?

- It's not working.
    ** ROOTED,

- I wanna contribute.

- Several stuff...

Known bugs :

Hey mate...
    lovely piece of work..!
    saved me hours at my work...
    thanks a lot works flawlessly on
    sony xperia tipo dual with cm 10