[APP] Zlaunchy for Android 1.3

Search This thread

wojciechka

Jan 13, 2008
Krakow
Hi,

Version 1.3 was released and also published on Android Market on 2011-07-03 - you can grab it here or from links below. The main change is fixing UpdateEntriesService which stayed running in certain cases and used up memory.

ZLaunchy was written mainly for those who like the way HTC and other third party dialers allows searching for contacts in a T9-like way - so that finding Adam means choosing 2326 in the phone application. ZLaunchy uses the same idea to run programs on your device. What it does is gives you a dialer keypad and when you type in a series of digits, it searches for all programs that match - for example to start Internet, start typing 4683 - Internet should show up in the result list.

In order to search for a particular text as beginning of words, type the specified digits - for example 4683 to find Internet. In order to search for specified letter(s) not only at beginning of words, add "1" at the end - for example 7371 will find Opera.

This application is free.

Changes in 1.3 release:
  • Fixed bug that caused UpdateEntriesService service not to stop after a successful update
    This bug caused service to remain in memory and consume memory. Happened when "refresh items when inactive" was disabled/enabled.
  • Reworked logging mechanism
    Reworked logging and cleaned up some of internals related to troubleshooting; should speed up the application a bit

Changes in 1.2 release:
  • Changes in contact handling to improve handling for certain devices
    We have changed how ZLaunchy retrieves contacts, which should help support for some devices - users who had issues with contacts should try out the new version
  • Added option to always show menu when selecting a contact from list
    It is now possible to choose whether ZLaunchy will open contact details or show a menu to select commonly used actions

As usual, you can download ZLaunchy from Android Market and our website.

Changes in 1.1 release:
  • Search in contacts' email address and telephone numbers and application's package name
  • QWERTY search for devices with physical keyboard
  • Ability to dial number
  • "0" button added on the on-screen keypad
  • Application details can now be shown on all Android versions
  • Preferences for global settings and profiles - you can now configure searching only for contacts, applications or both
  • Better APK install/uninstall integration
Download link: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.endorser.zlaunchy and http://www.endorser.org/en/downloads/android/zlaunchy

Last edited:

bounikariel

Aug 3, 2010
wow i used to have this feature in some old keyocera phone i had and i missed that feature since..

thanks alotttt

szallah

May 3, 2010
Frankfurt am Main
great app! works fast, looks simplistic and clean, and definitely useful... :)

although i wonder where to find the 0... searching for numbers could get tricky without being able to type the zero.

and i couldn't figure out what the prev and next buttons do. since i have a desire s without any trackball i can just assume that's sort of a trackball-action, but in my case not functioning. any hint on that?

wojciechka

Jan 13, 2008
Krakow
great app! works fast, looks simplistic and clean, and definitely useful... :)

although i wonder where to find the 0... searching for numbers could get tricky without being able to type the zero.

and i couldn't figure out what the prev and next buttons do. since i have a desire s without any trackball i can just assume that's sort of a trackball-action, but in my case not functioning. any hint on that?

Initially it was only meant for searching apps - so I didn't think of 0. I also want it to allow dialing a number in 1.1 so 0 will be added for sure.

As for next/prev, it was meant to choose profiles (i.e. apps, contacts, specific folders, combination of these), but it's not done yet. So maybe it'll be changed to 0 and profiles button.

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App

Sichroteph

Mar 15, 2009
I have some force close like 20 seconds after searching for an app.

Otherwise I am very happy to find this program, I loved it in Wm! :)

KeauHou

Apr 3, 2011
Nice! Just what I've been looking for. I use Launchy on windows and linux and this is just perfect.

Oh and I have an idea for improvement:
Apps/Contacts launched more often should get an increased weight so they show up on top. Like when you type at least X % of the App name, but there are like 10 others that match the searchstring, the results should be sorted based on their weight.

Pickx

Apr 23, 2010
Very snappy program, I am highly impressed!

As a long time user of Find and Run Robot, I would be using ZLauncher all the time if you were to implement filtering by typing with the physical keyboard. That would make this an absoultely killer app for me. I totally understand if you prefer to keep this T9 only though

Oh and it doesn't seem to respect the fact that I disabled auto-rotate (Desire Z running CM7)

wojciechka

Jan 13, 2008
Krakow
Hi,

First of all - good news - 1.1 should be out next week. There are still some bugs to clean up, but it is progressing really good.

Here's some text about it:
http://www.endorser.org/blog/mobile/android/50-zlaunchy-1-1

Also, be sure to follow us on Twitter - @EndorserOrg.
And Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/endorserorg/243303242940

Oh and I have an idea for improvement:
Apps/Contacts launched more often should get an increased weight so they show up on top. Like when you type at least X % of the App name, but there are like 10 others that match the searchstring, the results should be sorted based on their weight.

That would be cool, definitely want to do this, but not in 1.1. Who knows - maybe 1.2...

Very snappy program, I am highly impressed!

As a long time user of Find and Run Robot, I would be using ZLauncher all the time if you were to implement filtering by typing with the physical keyboard. That would make this an absoultely killer app for me. I totally understand if you prefer to keep this T9 only though

Yes, it's also on my radar. Will be done for 1.1.

Oh and it doesn't seem to respect the fact that I disabled auto-rotate (Desire Z running CM7)

Yes, a bug in layout - also will be fixed in 1.1.

Pickx

Apr 23, 2010
I am very stoked for this new release, it sounds like it'll be really great. Thank you for making this.

As for the feature KeauHou suggested, the previously-mentioned FARR implements this very well so you could take a look at the kind of algorithms it uses if you feel like it.

Last edited:

R3ason

Nov 16, 2009
Ixelles
Great app, have had launchy on all my computers for a while now, it'snreally changing the way I use my phone!

Thanks a lot, that's fast, efficient, great app!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Version 1.3 was released and also published on Android Market on 2011-07-03 - you can grab it here or from links below. The main change is fixing UpdateEntriesService which stayed running in certain cases and used up memory.

ZLaunchy was written mainly for those who like the way HTC and other third party dialers allows searching for contacts in a T9-like way - so that finding Adam means choosing 2326 in the phone application. ZLaunchy uses the same idea to run programs on your device. What it does is gives you a dialer keypad and when you type in a series of digits, it searches for all programs that match - for example to start Internet, start typing 4683 - Internet should show up in the result list.

In order to search for a particular text as beginning of words, type the specified digits - for example 4683 to find Internet. In order to search for specified letter(s) not only at beginning of words, add "1" at the end - for example 7371 will find Opera.

This application is free.

Changes in 1.3 release:
    • Fixed bug that caused UpdateEntriesService service not to stop after a successful update
      This bug caused service to remain in memory and consume memory. Happened when "refresh items when inactive" was disabled/enabled.
    • Reworked logging mechanism
      Reworked logging and cleaned up some of internals related to troubleshooting; should speed up the application a bit

Changes in 1.2 release:
    • Changes in contact handling to improve handling for certain devices
      We have changed how ZLaunchy retrieves contacts, which should help support for some devices - users who had issues with contacts should try out the new version
    • Added option to always show menu when selecting a contact from list
      It is now possible to choose whether ZLaunchy will open contact details or show a menu to select commonly used actions

As usual, you can download ZLaunchy from Android Market and our website.

Changes in 1.1 release:
    • Search in contacts' email address and telephone numbers and application's package name
    • QWERTY search for devices with physical keyboard
    • Ability to dial number
    • "0" button added on the on-screen keypad
    • Application details can now be shown on all Android versions
    • Preferences for global settings and profiles - you can now configure searching only for contacts, applications or both
    • Better APK install/uninstall integration
    Download link: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.endorser.zlaunchy and http://www.endorser.org/en/downloads/android/zlaunchy