[webtop] webtop2sd discussion (currently version 2.0.1)

Search This thread

Sogarth

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2006
Note: Please keep this thread restricted to Atrix-specific and general issues. Threads for other devices are referenced at the top of the main webtop2sd thread.

Discuss webtop2sd here (the other thread will be kept clean for announcements, FAQs, etc.).

Before you report an issue:

Make sure it's not on the Known Issues list first!.

Basic debugging, since these are going to be questions I ask anyways:

• If you hit problems with the Android webtop2sd application, you'll need to tell me the error, and give me the last few lines of adb logcat. Run this adb command, which will filter out most of the unimportant lines:
    • adb logcat ActivityManager:i AndroidRuntime:i webtop2sd:i *:s
  • Are you actually booting from your SD card? You can find this out by checking the Diagnostics tab in webtop2sd, under "Currently mounted webtops". If mmcblk1p12 isn't listed, you're not booted from your SD card. If this is the case, report what ROM you're running from.
  • Is the webtop configurator application showing, but not running successfully? If so, plug your device into your dock and run a terminal (either locally or adbWireless + adb shell) and run the following:
    • su
    • /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
    • export DISPLAY=:0
    • python /usr/local/bin/webtop-configurator.pyc
    I'll need whatever output shows up.

Last edited:

racca

Jun 4, 2009
great! thanks for making it so much easier.

haven't actually tested it b/c i sort of figured out how to do that a few days back, but still need to manually install it.
maybe i'll test your app next time i decide to reinstall my ubuntu.

btw, which script are you using to mount /osh? for me only /data/logging.sh works (it's safer anyway).

Last edited:

Sogarth

Jan 14, 2006
I suspect that what I'm doing isn't rocket science by any means. But, what I do seem to be pretty good at is packaging semi-complex things up for people into a manageable form with a fairly solid level of reliability. You couldn't imagine the things I'm happy that I managed to accomplish with this app, because they're so... quirky. :p

Anyways, I've been using /system/bin/mountosh since the beginning. I need to tweak the copy I'm using right now, since my goals have expanded beyond what I initially wrote it for. On the other hand, it'll mean that I can separate out my "personal" Ubuntu versus my "debugging" one, and that should be quite helpful.

OSNPA

Apr 13, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
These advances with linux customization in webtop have turned me on to Ubuntu in general. I just dumped windows xp on my desktop server and now run ubuntu super OS and studio. This takes a phone to a new level. Thanks OP!

krkeegan

Jun 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I would complain that you beat me to it, my initial post here, except it looks like what you created is way more advanced and polished than anything I could do.

I will check it out right now. Oops, i see it is only a shell at the moment. Well I am very eager to try it.

A few questions then:
1. I assume this is similar to your last mod, in that you have just moved the Motorola environment onto the SD card, no chroot or other tricks?
2. Is the dependency problem better? Are we able to replace the motorola packages?
3. Are we still stuck with jaunty or is there a possibility to upgrade to a supported version of ubuntu?

Last edited:

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
I know this might seem like a useless question (installing regardless), but your previous work was based off the 1.5.7 firmware, would this app be supported/functional on the current 1.8.3 firmware?

Oh, and...
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

-djazin

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Yes I believe the most important questions here are:

1 - which version will it work for? .83? .57? or just up to .52?
2 - If the Ubuntu version could be upgraded to, say, 11? :D Probably not, but hey...

Regardless, your work is the only reason why I'm buying myself a lapdock and replacing my netbook, so thank you very much for this hobby of yours =)

Sogarth

Jan 14, 2006
i would love to try this out but i'm on a mac.. can you partition through disk utility?

Possibly; I'm not sure. At least one person I talked to said that it should be possible via command line utilities, but I'm not the best person to ask about this particular issue, not having convenient access to Mac OS X... :(

I would complain that you beat me to it, my initial post here, except it looks like what you created is way more advanced and polished than anything I could do.

I will check it out right now. Oops, i see it is only a shell at the moment. Well I am very eager to try it.

A few questions then:
1. I assume this is similar to your last mod, in that you have just moved the Motorola environment onto the SD card, no chroot or other tricks?
2. Is the dependency problem better? Are we able to replace the motorola packages?
3. Are we still stuck with jaunty or is there a possibility to upgrade to a supported version of ubuntu?

Heh. I've actually been planning this for over a month, after some pointers from eval- - I had a rough version running, but I wanted to make something that users would be able to take advantage of easily. Oddly, it's the UI that's been the difficult part - actually having it do stuff is (relatively speaking) the easy part.

1. Yes, this is moving the Motorola environment to the SD card. Nothing special otherwise.
2. Not really - nothing's changed on that front. I'll be tweaking some of the package states on the filesystem to make upgrades less liable to completely blow up, but if we want to keep some of the niceties that Motorola added, I'll need to port those changes forward (which I have no particular problem with doing).
3. We're stuck with Jaunty for now. Unfortunately, it looks like information I had previously in regards to a version upgrade for Ubuntu don't apply to our phone, so I'll likely start working on an upgrade to 10.04 LTS after this stabilizes.

I know this might seem like a useless question (installing regardless), but your previous work was based off the 1.5.7 firmware, would this app be supported/functional on the current 1.8.3 firmware?

Yes I believe the most important questions here are:

1 - which version will it work for? .83? .57? or just up to .52?
2 - If the Ubuntu version could be upgraded to, say, 11? :D Probably not, but hey...

This is the fun part. Since this is an Android application and not a script, this part should work with any version. I'm currently running 4.1.57 on my phone (I never did get around to upgrading), but once I verify it works there properly, I'll be upgrading to 4.1.83 and testing there as well. There are no issues that I'm aware of that would prevent this first application from running, and the second application (the Python/Gtk one I have planned) should be able to handle any differences between the various ROMs out there.

And the Ubuntu version upgrade question, I answered just above this. :D

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
Epic Sogarth

The ui looks nice though can't wait to test it on 1.8.3 been on 1.5.7 with v2 awhile now updated to 1.8.3 installed the app played with the setting everything looks sweet cant wait for the go ahead XD wouldnt mind testing anything.

-Djazin

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
Greyed out? I know that the "Go!" and "Uninstall" buttons tell you that it's not implemented yet, but nothing should be grayed out?

Now that I really look at it mine is also. So I'm guessing that's due to 1.83, or GladiAtrix. That's what I'm using.

I'll post a screenshot if you need.

I could go to stock 1.57 upgrade to 1.83 but not until tomorrow night

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for the answers, Sogarth. And congratulations on your gift man, because your sum of intelligence and dedication sure is one. I'll be installing this on my Atrix as soon as it has been stabilized (and, well, actually made useful xD)

_Dennis_

I am on Gingerblur 4.5 only things greyed out are Partitioning section, both 'Device to partition' and 'Webtop partition size' items if "Partition ext. storage" is not selected. Also under "Locations" 'Delete filesystem file' is grey if 'Source webtop' is set to 'internal storage'.

All of these being grey makes sense if you read what they are doing......

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
I am on Gingerblur 4.5 only things greyed out are Partitioning section, both 'Device to partition' and 'Webtop partition size' items if "Partition ext. storage" is not selected. Also under "Locations" 'Delete filesystem file' is grey if 'Source webtop' is set to 'internal storage'.

All of these being grey makes sense if you read what they are doing......

Unchecking the Partition ext. storage option "ungreyed" the Locations options and Advanced options. Didn't think about doing that since that was one of the goals of this app.

Since I manually partitioned already I should have thought of that. :mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: Please keep this thread restricted to Atrix-specific and general issues. Threads for other devices are referenced at the top of the main webtop2sd thread.

Discuss webtop2sd here (the other thread will be kept clean for announcements, FAQs, etc.).

Before you report an issue:

Make sure it's not on the Known Issues list first!.

Basic debugging, since these are going to be questions I ask anyways:

• If you hit problems with the Android webtop2sd application, you'll need to tell me the error, and give me the last few lines of adb logcat. Run this adb command, which will filter out most of the unimportant lines:
      • adb logcat ActivityManager:i AndroidRuntime:i webtop2sd:i *:s
    • Are you actually booting from your SD card? You can find this out by checking the Diagnostics tab in webtop2sd, under "Currently mounted webtops". If mmcblk1p12 isn't listed, you're not booted from your SD card. If this is the case, report what ROM you're running from.
    • Is the webtop configurator application showing, but not running successfully? If so, plug your device into your dock and run a terminal (either locally or adbWireless + adb shell) and run the following:
      • su
      • /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
      • export DISPLAY=:0
      • python /usr/local/bin/webtop-configurator.pyc
      I'll need whatever output shows up.
    Alien Rom has busybox built in as far as I know. that may be stopping it from installing in webtop2sd folder?

Edit: I checked my system folder and I have no webtop2sd there. therefore... no busybox. How would I specifically reinstall busybox? Or go about obtaining webtop2sd folder?

If you haven't already done so, go to the Android Market and buy Root Explorer. After it is installed open it.

Follow system > etc > menu key > New Folder
    It will tell you it can't because it is mounted as read-only, touch the button at the top of screen which says "Mount R/W". Then menu again and New Folder. Type "webtop2sd" no quotes and make sure no caps.

Then download from the Android Market "Busybox Installer" and run it. Install to either location available, but make a note of the location.

Then open Root Explorer again. Navigate to the busybox you just installed. A long press brings up an options menu, choose copy. Navigate to your /system/etc/webtop2sd folder. A long press will bring up the options menu, choose paste.

Now busybox is installed in the correct location.

Reboot the phone. Run webtop2sd, check the Diagnostics tab for mounted webtop partitions.
    this same thing happened to me on 2.3.6 wet dream. reinstalling rom now doing full wipe and fastboot wipes

any new news on this issue .. Thanks

It works. I guarantee it.

Running on Wet Dream 1.1.0, webtop 2.3.6 with webtop2sd, webtopscripts have been run.

Installed xfce4-panel, installed open-office.

1. From fastboot - ran MFW-2.0 batch script to do full wipe, and for ****s and giggles, I did ctrl-c break out of batch file, ran moto-fastboot -w. (yea, yea don't need to do it, but I do)
    2. Boot into recovery flash ROM. Wipe cache partition.
    3. Boot into ROM. Setup Blur. (yea, yea don't need to do it, but I do)
    4. Install quick reboot from Market, reboot. During reboot go into fastboot. Moto-fastboot install webtop 2.3.6 image, Reboot back into ROM
    5. Install my Root explorer from Market
    6. Install BusyBox Installer by JRummy16 from Market. Ran app installed busybox into /system/bin.
    7. Open Root explorer Go to /system/etc mount r/w create webtop2sd directory
    8. Go to /system/bin copy busybox over to /system/etc/webtop2sd
    9. Still in root explorer, go to /system/bin and /system/xbin and delete su
    10. Can't use quick reboot to reboot into recovery because su has been deleted. Wherever your adb is located, run adb reboot recovery.
    11. Install the superuser app from the zip I have attached. Reboot.
    12. Open some other app besides webtop2sd that needs root. Verify root is working.
    13. Install webtop2sd.
    14. Open webtop2sd, hopefully no FC's. Do the webtop2sd partitioning and copy webtop over to new partition on sdcard.

Disclaimer: This works for me damn near every time. Only thing I know for sure is webtop2sd is picky as hell about where su is and busybox. Once I figured that out, with lots and lots of trial and error, it works almost always. These are the steps I use everytime. I have been on three ROMs the past week. All have webtop working on external sdcard this way.
    btw, this looks to be a problem that's happening on 2.3.4. I'll probably need somebody to help me track down what the problem is there (dpkg-deb seems to be failing for some reason).

Version 0.9.1 has been uploaded, with support for SmarTone-Vodafone 4.5.2, a.k.a. the HKTW 2.3.4 build.

Enjoy!

P.S. I was going to write that quick and dirty version of the webtop companion app, but I've had a few people asking me for one that would work with Gingerbread....
    Quick update:

I have something that's more or less releasable, albeit under a BETA tag. I've only really tested it under 4.1.57 (I'll need to do a quick test under 4.1.26, then update to 4.1.87), and some of the functionality I was hoping for seems to need more work. The big problem is that right now, my brain is fried (it's getting pretty late where I am), so this is going to have to wait until tomorrow, especially since I'm going to have to do a lot of writing documentation and such.... :(

On the other hand, keep an eye out tomorrow!