YouTube app

Search This thread

Madcypher

Nov 4, 2008
SoCal
What's up,

So I've had my Tablet Z for just about a month and the only real complaint I have is the YouTube app video quality is pretty bad! What little setting adjustments there are don't do anything to help. It looks like my player is playing lo-res 480p video on an HD screen even when HD is highlighted as the play option.

Netflix, Sony Video player and inline/embedded videos all look great so I know it's specific to the YouTube player.

Hoping that the update that's due out this week will alleviate the problem, part of the update addresses the YouTube app. I didn't know that manufacturer's had their own versions of the Google core apps, learn something new everyday.

Anybody else?

Thanks.

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
They don't have their own version of the apps. They can't. Youtube, like many other apps, is closed source. The fix includes something in the file system related to YT, but not the app itself. I guess the update is related to videos most of the times stop working in the middle of it for no reason. Embed with a browser, and other apps, work just fine.

Madcypher

Nov 4, 2008
SoCal
They don't have their own version of the apps. They can't. Youtube, like many other apps, is closed source. The fix includes something in the file system related to YT, but not the app itself. I guess the update is related to videos most of the times stop working in the middle of it for no reason. Embed with a browser, and other apps, work just fine.

Thanks for the info.

How's the pic quality of your YouTube app?

thor9934

Oct 29, 2010
Fredericia
Thanks for the info.

How's the pic quality of your YouTube app?

Check out the app called viral it solves the problem plus you can use it in floating mode or minimize it to play while screen is off when I started using viral it could go to 1080p which looks gorgeous on this device but for some reason I can only choose up to 720p but it's not tacky like it is on the official app ;)

Madcypher

Nov 4, 2008
SoCal
So I uninstalled the most recent update and the video quality dramatically improves! I'll stay with 4.5.17 until they have another major updates.I'll miss some of the cooler navigation features of the new version, but is rather have the picture quality back.

I'm surprised I'm there's only one this affected.

rwilpstra

Jan 3, 2013
So I uninstalled the most recent update and the video quality dramatically improves! I'll stay with 4.5.17 until they have another major updates.I'll miss some of the cooler navigation features of the new version, but is rather have the picture quality back.

I'm surprised I'm there's only one this affected.

You're not the only one.... Same issues here, as well as on my dad's XTZ and my Nexus 5.... Seems like the new version of the app doesn't upscale from 720p to 1080p very nicely at all.....