[solved][Q]CWM recovery not flashing after odin and root

Search This thread

electroman987

Aug 7, 2010
Hello all and thank you for your time. been doing this for a while and i cannot figure out what im doing wrong. hopefully someone can help me figure out what i missed. I was odin'ing back to try and fix a LTE modem issue. followed the sticky guide like i did originally to root. first wiped everything, then odin MDK (never OTA'd), flash MD2 kernel, ticked appropriate boxes, updated super su and binary, checked root with TBU, odin'ed MDK kernel, then flashed with rom manager CWM. root was granted at the respected times. everything seems right until i boot into recovery and the screen goes to the stock recovery and the android man has a red exclamation mark. the recovery is usable but it does not help me much..

thanks for the time and suggestions.

take care.
electroman789

Last edited:

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
One.... You're on Verizon...... There's no flashing a custom ROM yet.... Only touch wiz based ones.....no recovery.... Only safestrap.... Especially if you're on the newest bootloader or newest ota, there's no flashing anything besides a touch wiz ROM in a ROM slot on safe strap....

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Hello all and thank you for your time. been doing this for a while and i cannot figure out what im doing wrong. hopefully someone can help me figure out what i missed. I was odin'ing back to try and fix a LTE modem issue. followed the sticky guide like i did originally to root. first wiped everything, then odin MDK (never OTA'd), flash MD2 kernel, ticked appropriate boxes, updated super su and binary, checked root with TBU, odin'ed MDK kernel, then flashed with rom manager CWM. root was granted at the respected times. everything seems right until i boot into recovery and the screen goes to the stock recovery and the android man has a red exclamation mark. the recovery is usable but it does not help me much..

thanks for the time and suggestions.

take care.
electroman789

If you have a phone with the MDK bootloader, all you should have to do is to update the modem to the latest release.
Since installing MD2 seems to have worked, your bootloader is MDK so you're OK.

Did you follow the recovery instructions in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292112 to install CWM?
I'd be asking questions there to get help with getting this done.
However, it appears that people have had better success with other custom recoveries, like Philz and TWRP.
I can't say from personal experience, never having had a MDK phone in hand, but you may want to try TWRP.

electroman987

Aug 7, 2010
to pball52998; there is root (not safestrap) for MDK (stock baseband) users (not OTA'd peers). root access is attained by guild linked to by my first post. safestrap started for users that locked their bootloaders by ota. hence twiz.

to k1mu; i have followed all of the instructions per the guide linked in on my question. recovery instillation was done using rom manager, goomanager, and philz using odin (which failed due to authentication error??).

<ID:0/011> Removed!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.15.4-jfltevzw.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/011> Added!!
<ID:0/011> Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/011> File analysis..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Initialzation..
<ID:0/011> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/011> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/011> recovery.img
<ID:0/011> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/011> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

phone says:
odin mode
product name: sch-i545
current binary: samsung official
system status: custom
csb-oem_config_lsb:0x30
write protection: enabled
start [224,1440]
secure check fail : recovery

i would also like to include that i am restoring from the mdk no wipe tar.md5 via odin 3.07.
im running out of solutions. ill use stock rom but i have grown accustomed to aftermarket roms and would like to continue using them.
any other ideas?

Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
You may have to Odin back and then this time install TWRP. Then use a Philz zip file from within TWRP to get you that recovery. I've actually seen a few people lately having problems with ROM manager. So I'm not sure what's up with that. But that's what I did without issue . TWRP --->Philz

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

electroman987

Aug 7, 2010
You may have to Odin back and then this time install TWRP. Then use a Philz zip file from within TWRP to get you that recovery. I've actually seen a few people lately having problems with ROM manager. So I'm not sure what's up with that. But that's what I did without issue . TWRP --->Philz

Thank you for the suggestion but I tried using twrp by installing via goomanager to no avail. Same result as rom manager. Says it is successfully installed but when I boot into recovery, stock recovery :confused:. Ive also noticed that when I boot up, I see a plain samsung logo and a unlocked padlock with the word "custom" under it. This is the first boot screen that I am describing. I dont know what is happening. And that boot screen is not consistent. Some times it will boot normal and then boot up the "custom unlock" boot screen. All the things that should work are not for some reason. Again I have not ota'd, odin'd to fix a modem issue, gaining root but not custom recovery....

thx again for your time

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Thank you for the suggestion but I tried using twrp by installing via goomanager to no avail. Same result as rom manager. Says it is successfully installed but when I boot into recovery, stock recovery :confused:. Ive also noticed that when I boot up, I see a plain samsung logo and a unlocked padlock with the word "custom" under it. This is the first boot screen that I am describing. I dont know what is happening. And that boot screen is not consistent. Some times it will boot normal and then boot up the "custom unlock" boot screen. All the things that should work are not for some reason. Again I have not ota'd, odin'd to fix a modem issue, gaining root but not custom recovery....

thx again for your time

Are you booting into recovery from ROM manager or from phone off + vol up + power + home?

Like I said someone else was having this same issue. Maybe try a full wipe in Odin. I'm going to look for that other guys post on here and see what he did I don't recall

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Also don't worry about that custom screen. Mine went away when I switched to Philz recovery. But either way its just an indication your phone is rooted/modified

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

I used this mdk Odin file. Worked perfect
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2289325

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Also.. A few on here swear by the all in one root + recovery tool that's on here for our phones. Just an idea that's all. I myself used that Odin file I linked you to. Rooted it. Then installed TWRP then Philz. I don't know enough about ROM manager to begin guessing. Another idea is try using an older version of Philz In Odin. Or an older version of TWRP from Odin. Again just throwing out ideas

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/181
Go here. Its twrp for our phones with instructions on how to manually install it and at the bottom are others talking about the same issue you're having. Guess its a known issue. Okkkk enough fragmented posts from me. Lol

Reactions: electroman987

electroman987

Aug 7, 2010
[solved] phone not flashing recovery after odin reset

Thanks to mistertac for finding the link he did for I had not seen it in the research I frantically looked through to find the solution to my problem. :victory:

If anyone has issues with flashing a custom recovery after a full Odin, I have found through experience that it is unnerving and frustrating.

DO NOT FREAK OUT!!!!! Try your usual steps again. If it does not work, try flashify. Find on Google play. I am not responsible for any actions you do to your device but it worked for me the first time. Now I am again on my favorite ROM running as if nothing ever happened. Took 3 days and sweating bullets but it worked.

I hope this experience doesn't have to be repeated so learn from my experience.

Reactions: Mistertac

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thx again for your time

Are you booting into recovery from ROM manager or from phone off + vol up + power + home?

Like I said someone else was having this same issue. Maybe try a full wipe in Odin. I'm going to look for that other guys post on here and see what he did I don't recall

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Also don't worry about that custom screen. Mine went away when I switched to Philz recovery. But either way its just an indication your phone is rooted/modified

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

I used this mdk Odin file. Worked perfect
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2289325

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Also.. A few on here swear by the all in one root + recovery tool that's on here for our phones. Just an idea that's all. I myself used that Odin file I linked you to. Rooted it. Then installed TWRP then Philz. I don't know enough about ROM manager to begin guessing. Another idea is try using an older version of Philz In Odin. Or an older version of TWRP from Odin. Again just throwing out ideas

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/181
    Go here. Its twrp for our phones with instructions on how to manually install it and at the bottom are others talking about the same issue you're having. Guess its a known issue. Okkkk enough fragmented posts from me. Lol

[solved] phone not flashing recovery after odin reset

Thanks to mistertac for finding the link he did for I had not seen it in the research I frantically looked through to find the solution to my problem. :victory:

If anyone has issues with flashing a custom recovery after a full Odin, I have found through experience that it is unnerving and frustrating.

DO NOT FREAK OUT!!!!! Try your usual steps again. If it does not work, try flashify. Find on Google play. I am not responsible for any actions you do to your device but it worked for me the first time. Now I am again on my favorite ROM running as if nothing ever happened. Took 3 days and sweating bullets but it worked.

I hope this experience doesn't have to be repeated so learn from my experience.