[Solved] [Q] Updating timezone on android 4.3

Search This thread

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
Hello

i generated a tzdata file with the new 2014c timezone file from IANA to reflect a change in my country DST

i pushed the file to /system/usr/share/zoneinfo and changed the permisions to 644 and rebooted , and the time change wasnt reflected

what i noticed after reboot is that time is changed only for normal user not root

Code:
shell@t03g:/ $ date
Fri May 16 15:07:35 EEST 2014
shell@t03g:/ $ su
root@t03g:/ # date
Fri May 16 14:07:48 EET 2014

any idea of what may i have missed?

Last edited:

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
Hello

i generated a tzdata file with the new 2014c timezone file from IANA to reflect a change in my country DST

i pushed the file to /system/usr/share/zoneinfo and changed the permisions to 644 and rebooted , and the time change wasnt reflected

what i noticed after reboot is that time is changed only for normal user not root

Code:
shell@t03g:/ $ date
Fri May 16 15:07:35 EEST 2014
shell@t03g:/ $ su
root@t03g:/ # date
Fri May 16 14:07:48 EET 2014

any idea of what may i have missed?
Can you please share with us the tzdata file you generated?

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
please confirm it works , as the change is not reflected as i said in the first post :)

Unfortunately not working..
I copied the tzdata file to /system/use/share/zoneinfo and changed the permissions to be even read,write &execute for owner,group and other and rebooted but not working
On android 4.4.2
How did you compile this file?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
Unfortunately not working..
I copied the tzdata file to /system/use/share/zoneinfo and changed the permissions to be even read,write &execute for owner,group and other and rebooted but not working
On android 4.4.2
How did you compile this file?

well i followed this outdated post

i got the ZoneCompactor.java file from here instead as the one in the post only works for pre 4.3 android

i attached my working directory including with the edits i made to the script in the outdated post

Attachments

• generate.tar.bz2
    290.9 KB · Views: 137

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
well i followed this outdated post

i got the ZoneCompactor.java file from here instead as the one in the post only works for pre 4.3 android

i attached my working directory including with the edits i made to the script in the outdated post

Well, I was trying to do the same as you did but using the zonecompactor & the python script in the link you attached but I got an error telling me could not find bionic library or so.
So, you used the old generator script with some modifications.
It seems the file is correct (an app called timezone fix that was also attached in the outdated post referred to can read the file as 2014c). No idea what the problem may be.
Maybe we need to uncheck the automatic date and time and reboot?
I unchecked without a reboot but nothing happened .

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
Well, I was trying to do the same as you did but using the zonecompactor & the python script in the link you attached but I got an error telling me could not find bionic library or so.
So, you used the old generator script with some modifications.
It seems the file is correct (an app called timezone fix that was also attached in the outdated post referred to can read the file as 2014c). No idea what the problem may be.
Maybe we need to uncheck the automatic date and time and reboot?
I unchecked without a reboot but nothing happened .

i downloaded a new BufferIterator.java and ZoneCompactor.java and ZoneInfo.java to be compatable with 4.3 and used the generate script from the old post

now i used the timezone file with a phone with cyanogenmod 11 and it worked !!

whats the output of the date command from the shell?

normal and root

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
i downloaded a new BufferIterator.java and ZoneCompactor.java and ZoneInfo.java to be compatable with 4.3 and used the generate script from the old post

now i used the timezone file with a phone with cyanogenmod 11 and it worked !!

whats the output of the date command from the shell?

normal and root

I tried the date command for normal and root users and both are wrong (no DST applied) with the file you provided earlier.
The one you tried on the CM11 is a different one than the one you shared with us earlier?
For CM11, it should be the same as stock 4.4.2.
Strange that it didn't work on my N4!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
I tried the date command for normal and root users and both are wrong (no DST applied) with the file you provided earlier.
The one you tried on the CM11 is a different one than the one you shared with us earlier?
For CM11, it should be the same as stock 4.4.2.
Strange that it didn't work on my N4!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

I finally found the root cause

it was Xposed framework !!
disabling it solved the issue

i will try to check for a workaround as i use too many modules

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
Are you sure?
I just uninstalled the framework and rebooted but it is still the same!

yes made sure multiple times and even tried to narrow down to a certain module but the time is not fixed until i completely uninstalled the framework

try after uninstallation to use the timezone fixer tool, the dev upgraded his version to have 2014c

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
yes made sure multiple times and even tried to narrow down to a certain module but the time is not fixed until i completely uninstalled the framework

try after uninstallation to use the timezone fixer tool, the dev upgraded his version to have 2014c

Yes I already updated the time zone fixer tool and the fixer reads the database version as 2014c.
I uninstalled the framework but left the xposed installer, I think that doesn't make a difference..

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
Yes I already updated the time zone fixer tool and the fixer reads the database version as 2014c.
I uninstalled the framework but left the xposed installer, I think that doesn't make a difference..

check if you have the tzdata file also under this path /data/misc/zoneinfo and change it

that solved the root user issue for me

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
check if you have the tzdata file also under this path /data/misc/zoneinfo and change it

that solved the root user issue for me

Right now after replacing the file under /misc, I am still getting the times in what's app for example and the dialer log showing the old time (the non DST time)
Are you getting the same results ?

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
Right now after replacing the file under /misc, I am still getting the times in what's app for example and the dialer log showing the old time (the non DST time)
Are you getting the same results ?

the time is completely correct now after replacing the file in both locations
Can you give me the permissions of both files and the output of the date command for both users?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo
the time is completely correct now after replacing the file in both locations
Can you give me the permissions of both files and the output of the date command for both users?

Permissions :
RW for owner (root)
Read only for group and other

Here is the date command for both users

u0_a201@mako:/ $ date
Sat May 24 14:06:18 EEST 2014
u0_a201@mako:/ $ su
root@mako:/ # date
Sat May 24 14:06:29 EEST 2014
root@mako:/ #

asem.arafa

Oct 15, 2013
Permissions :
RW for owner (root)
Read only for group and other

Here is the date command for both users

u0_a201@mako:/ $ date
Sat May 24 14:06:18 EEST 2014
u0_a201@mako:/ $ su
root@mako:/ # date
Sat May 24 14:06:29 EEST 2014
root@mako:/ #

Every thing look in order
Sorry I don't have a nexus so I can't guess what's the issue here
May be clear cache and dalivik and see?
Also look at the date and time settings
Is it set to automatic and if so does it chow cairo+3?

Top Liked Posts