s6 and google cardboard (Galaxy S6)

Search This thread

eloquencemotion

Apr 5, 2015
Just a question for people with this with a handset already, have you had a chance to play with google cardboard using the s6? I'm curious how the higher PPI performs! :)

Thijsvr

Dec 28, 2010
Amsterdam
www.icingonthecake.cc
Just a question for people with this with a handset already, have you had a chance to play with google cardboard using the s6? I'm curious how the higher PPI performs! :)

Got my (regular) S6 yesterday and found time to put in my Cardboard this morning. The experience is a little better than expected, but still not earth shattering.
I had a OnePlus One (5.5 inch FHD) before and that worked okay. You could definately see the space between the pixels. I woulnd't say it it was like looking through a screendoor, but you could certainly see the grid.
With the S6 it's certainly improved a lot, but you do still see a grid. It's far less noticable though and it's a lot easier to get that feeling of immersion. You will still see you're looking at a screen though, the higher PPI just makes you forget about it sooner.

What I noticed with the S6 and didn't really notice with the OnePlus One is that there is a tiny, tiny delay between moving your head and the screen actually moving. I don't know why that is. I think it's because the resolution is now less of an issue, you notice other things like this sooner, but I am unable to confirm that in any way. I'm just telling you what I saw.

All in all the experience of Cardboard is certainly better with the higher PPI display, but if you come from a regular FHD display I don't think the difference is really that big.
I don't know if the Edge offers any advantages. I'm inclined to think it'll impact the experience in a negative way.

Edit: if you want me to test something, please let me know.

Reactions: TheAtheistReverend

cheethoe

Apr 11, 2015
I'm having issues with the location of the magnet button for the s6, the button being on the left or right side doesn't work for me, it has to be on the top or bottom of the cardboard if that makes sense.

Thijsvr

Dec 28, 2010
Amsterdam
www.icingonthecake.cc
I'm having issues with the location of the magnet button for the s6, the button being on the left or right side doesn't work for me, it has to be on the top or bottom of the cardboard if that makes sense.

I originally thought the magnet button would only work with with a Nexus device so I threw it out... so unfortunately I'm unable to comment on this, haha. I'm always tapping the screen through the underside of cardboard.

A friend of mine recently got a more expensive sort of Cardboard with better lenses and a headmount. I'm considering to get it. It was like 50 bucks or something, a lot cheaper than the Gear VR and with the S6 I think it'll be a really fun experiene. I'm still doubting as I hope Project Morpheus will soon get a releasedate. Would love to play Project Cars with that.

derWolf_

Nov 13, 2012

I have no issues with my magnetic button. Works like charm on the S6 and is located properly for me.

Lancer-AM

Nov 14, 2012
I have a dodocase and it is a huge improvement over my 2013 motox. The only downside I have found is the home button sits right on the cardboard edge when closed and so sometimes it hits it when the case flexes a bit. I have a Colorcross coming tomorrow which has larger fov lenses and headstraps so I am hoping for a better experience. I did notice the VR cinemas aren't drifting with the s6 like they did with my motox.

eloquencemotion

Apr 5, 2015
Thanks so much for the replies guys! I just got caught up with a bunch of threads and lost track of my own! Hehe

In terms of any games on cardboard...is the faster processor making the gaming smoother? Also in videos such as Paul McCartney would you guys say its a noticeable difference from the note 4?. That's really what I'm up in the air about. Either getting an s6 or a note 4. Vr is the main thing I'm interested in with the added bonus of a phone hehe (till oculus or HTC vive release)

lujki1

Aug 21, 2014
Podgorica
I have the s6 as well, but magnet doesnt work at all for me... otherwise really good experience!

[edit - the magnet does work - I didnt realise you had to flick it rather than hold]
EXACTLY the same thing here. I was so nervous it didn't work. Then I just flicked it as I wanted to... Actually I don't know what I wanted to do with that.
Then it worked... :D It was just like: "Ohh, come on!"
Ot really is a great thing when using the cardboard app. The only thing I hate is when my phone slips when I don't secure it. Other than that it's really great.

Sent from my SM-G920F

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Got my (regular) S6 yesterday and found time to put in my Cardboard this morning. The experience is a little better than expected, but still not earth shattering.
    I had a OnePlus One (5.5 inch FHD) before and that worked okay. You could definately see the space between the pixels. I woulnd't say it it was like looking through a screendoor, but you could certainly see the grid.
    With the S6 it's certainly improved a lot, but you do still see a grid. It's far less noticable though and it's a lot easier to get that feeling of immersion. You will still see you're looking at a screen though, the higher PPI just makes you forget about it sooner.

What I noticed with the S6 and didn't really notice with the OnePlus One is that there is a tiny, tiny delay between moving your head and the screen actually moving. I don't know why that is. I think it's because the resolution is now less of an issue, you notice other things like this sooner, but I am unable to confirm that in any way. I'm just telling you what I saw.

All in all the experience of Cardboard is certainly better with the higher PPI display, but if you come from a regular FHD display I don't think the difference is really that big.
    I don't know if the Edge offers any advantages. I'm inclined to think it'll impact the experience in a negative way.

Edit: if you want me to test something, please let me know.