Android Tether vs. 3G Mobile Hotspot

Search This thread

fsk141

Jun 17, 2010
Can anyone tell me the difference between the two on 2.2 Froyo. I currently have an Incredible & would like to know if one is better in any regards than the other.

J

jdkoreclipse

They are the same......only the one from vzw costs $20...but you can hack it to get it for free.

Android tether is guarenteed free

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

mb02

Jun 24, 2010
i've actually been having troubles with the verizon hotspot, when i use it for longer than maybe 5 or 10 minutes it starts stopping and starting constantly unless i reboot the phone and try again. sometimes it lasts longer. also, the internet speed seems slightly gimped as well, everything seemed to work faster through wireless tether app (download speeds were higher as well).

J

jdkoreclipse

Dial ##778 in the dialer and select edit mode password is 0000000 and change security and m.ip default profile to read yournumber@vzw3g.com

J

jdkoreclipse

Its legit. Ask anyone else...thats how to get free tethering from a normally not free service

fsk141

Jun 17, 2010
Ya, I did the free hack, and it works. Anywho thanks, I was thinking they were the same, I was just curious...

xvenom89

Feb 5, 2008
Ohio
www.jimmyr.com
I've done the hack more than once with different 2.2 ROMs, but I either cannot see it while scanning for hotspots or cannot obtain an IP address (via laptops, handhelds, etc).. So I stick to Wireless Tether.

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
I find that the 3g hotspot thats built into froyo (with the dun mod hack) is a little quicker... haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

justhatguy

Aug 26, 2010
OK, guys so although I am relatively smart at things all this is new to me so can i ju confirm that the wireless tethering I have on my incred is utilized the same as the verizon mobile hotspot would correct? Meaning the tethering allows my phone to be a mobile hotspot as well??

justhatguy

Aug 26, 2010
Dial ##778 in the dialer and select edit mode password is 0000000 and change security and m.ip default profile to read yournumber@vzw3g.com

Worked like a freaking charm... Thanks man your awesome.. Now just curious is there a way for verizon to know that someone is utilizing their hotspot without paying for a subscription? Also, the wireless tethering is the same as the hotspot correct??

Last edited:

Hackenstein

Aug 22, 2010
I'm still using the android.tether (wireless tether) I got from mejdam on youtube. Not sure if he wrote the app or was just sharing it out, but it works great.

I'll never load up Verizon's Hotspot app. Even with the hack, I just wouldn't trust it but that's me.

m52power

Feb 7, 2009
I cant get wireless tether to work on mine! Running 8/26 OTA leak, wireless tether pre .8 and BFS #1. Log shows iwconfig failed, HELP please

cmckee.cna

Aug 21, 2010
Marysville
Wireless tether and Verizon

Hey, just to let every one know, Verizon can easily watch you bandwidth usage and if your downloading a lot they will notice that your not paying for it, and having to be rooted to use wireless tether, that's a violation of your contact.... just sayin....