[Q] Calibration fixes for S-Pen on 4.4.2 KitKat?

Search This thread

rtiangha

Jan 3, 2012
Hm, sounds like a lot of BS, one can't get to the screen edges in S-Note (due to horizontal status & menu bars).

It's really upsetting that Samsung omitted such an important tool as calibration, it's well known fact that Wacom digitizers tend to loose calibration over time (due to magnetic nature), and need to be re-calibrated. Heck, my 2005 Toshiba M200 has one, and 2007 Lenovo X61T, too. I guess it's better to stick with Windows tablets if good pen support is needed.

My I467 is a paperweight now, S Pen is off 1-2mm on part of the screen (maybe due to 4.4.2 OTA update, not sure). Now use my old trusty X61T for drawing. If I won't be able to fix calibration issue on i467, then will buy Dell Venue 8 Pro with N-Trig digitizer and Win8.
Use an app that hides the bars. I used SketchBook in full screen mode. Works fine. Although I think it just makes it easier to see where you're drawing. You might not even need the program; maybe all you need is to move the stylus to the extremes of the screen. I really wish someone out there who knows the definitive way to calibrate these things would pipe up and talk about how the software calibrates itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

fedex2go

Aug 4, 2008
Use an app that hides the bars
Correct me if I'm wrong, but such apps require root. Which my Note doesn't have.

LOL, it's a lot of maybes.
IMHO, it's a digital world - either there is a specific procedure to calibrate, or there isn't.
Trying all sorts of things without specific knowledge what to do - waste of time, it's like looking for a black cat in a dark room.
I think that smart thing to do here is to learn this lesson and stay away from Samsung in the future.

Last edited:

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Correct me if I'm wrong, but such apps require root. Which my Note doesn't have.

IMHO, it's a digital world - either there is a specific procedure to calibrate, or there isn't.
Trying all sorts of things without specific knowledge what to do - waste of time, it's like looking for a black cat in a dark room.
I think that smart thing to do here is to learn this lesson and stay away from Samsung in the future.
Yes Samsung messed up but it's not like we don't have a solution :). I flashed civato's rom and kernel and never looked back.

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
Right, well I'm not really understand what are you doing in Galaxy Note 8.0 thread then, to be honest
The Note 8.0 threads (like many on xda) are actually meant for multiple devices that are still similar in nature. In the case of the Note 8.0, this includes the N5100, N5110, N5120, etc. For your information I have the N5110, so I am definitely in the right place. Remember we are all here to share and help each other. Respect is paramount. Good luck :)

Last edited:

fedex2go

Aug 4, 2008
The Note 8.0 threads (like many on xda) are actually meant for multiple devices that are still similar in nature. In the case of the Note 8.0, this includes the N5100, N5110, N5120, etc. For your information I have the N5110, so I am definitely in the right place. Remember we are all here to share and help each other. Respect is paramount. Good luck :)
Luck is not a factor here. I467=Galaxy Note 8.0 (AT&T). It takes 10sec for a reasonably intelligent person to figure out. Instead of paying minimal attention and reading the actual posts, you hurry up and say there's a solution by flashing. It's not applicable for I467, it cannot be flashed.

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
Luck is not a factor here. I467=Galaxy Note 8.0 (AT&T). It takes 10sec for a reasonably intelligent person to figure out. Instead of paying minimal attention and reading the actual posts, you hurry up and say there's a solution by flashing. It's not applicable for I467, it cannot be flashed.
As always, I read through the thread bud. I see you have like 17 posts so far, so still relatively new to xda. Instead of being confrontational, understand that my post was directed at the other Note 8..0 models like the N5100, N5110, etc. If it doesn't apply to your variant then so be it. This thread does not revolve around your variant alone. The same applies to many other xda threads. Good day sir.

Last edited:

Beut

Jun 28, 2015
Use an app that hides the bars. I used SketchBook in full screen mode. Works fine. Although I think it just makes it easier to see where you're drawing. You might not even need the program; maybe all you need is to move the stylus to the extremes of the screen. I really wish someone out there who knows the definitive way to calibrate these things would pipe up and talk about how the software calibrates itself.

This is the secret code of Samsung to get to Factory Mode, using Calculator : (+30012012732+
Then : *#0*# in Calculator
You should get to Factory Mode where you can test different functions, especially Wacom Test, If it fails the test, your Lcd is defective ( S Pen cable is from LCD ), this one is an example.
The test won't do any calibration, just Pass or Fail.
66parsdl44fs71k6g.jpg

Toyeboy

Oct 3, 2012
I have the same model as you and I'm thinking I'll just return it. Bought it off eBay but calibration is a few millimeters off. I can't flash this so there's no point.

Toyeboy

Oct 3, 2012
Just calibrate it through a note.

So I just scribble on the edges in S Note? And keep it a continuous line correct? Are you supposed to go off and on the and when you do this or stay on the screen the screen time? I think that is what you said right? Also I'm left handed does the s pen function any different for me?

I with love to get it calibrated as this tablet is plenty fast, smoother than a Galaxy Note 10.1-2014 I tried.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
So I just scribble on the edges in S Note? And keep it a continuous line correct? Are you supposed to go off and on the and when you do this or stay on the screen the screen time? I think that is what you said right? Also I'm left handed does the s pen function any different for me?

I with love to get it calibrated as this tablet is plenty fast, smoother than a Galaxy Note 10.1-2014 I tried.

In S Note, draw a line along the edge of the display, and without lifting, follow along the next edge and continue until you have made a complete outline of the display.

It does not matter which side or hand you use. Some peeps find it easier to allow the pen to rest at an angle that your hand naturally draws, and maintain it even at difficult drawing lines.

Some people may find taping card board along the edges to keep alignment straight.

This is done while tablet is flat on the table so you can do a good job at drawing.

I noticed if you go into developer mode and turn on traces, you can judge how well the alignent is done after doing the alignment trick.

Toyeboy

Oct 3, 2012
In S Note, draw a line along the edge of the display, and without lifting, follow along the next edge and continue until you have made a complete outline of the display.

It does not matter which side or hand you use. Some peeps find it easier to allow the pen to rest at an angle that your hand naturally draws, and maintain it even at difficult drawing lines.

Some people may find taping card board along the edges to keep alignment straight.

This is done while tablet is flat on the table so you can do a good job at drawing.

I noticed if you go into developer mode and turn on traces, you can judge how well the alignent is done after doing the alignment trick.
Okay how do you get rid of all the menus ins note

Toyeboy

Oct 3, 2012
I traced for a long time. It didn't make any sort of difference in the accuracy so I'm frustrated with it so shipping it back tomorrow. I would've flashed the kernel had I not had the att version with locked bootloader. I ordered a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 with S pen instead found it for $180 on eBay. I really like the smaller size of the Note 8 though. So it's a bummer, but Tab A has Android 6.0 so that's definitely cool.

Reactions: captain0690

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015
I know this is an old thread, but there are always new owners to an old device like me. I recently bought a Note 8.0, SGH-I467 (AT&T) off eBay because some note taking review, even though published in 2017, still ranks this 2013 device highly for note taking. Being a 4-year-old device also makes it quite affordable. The 8" form factor is light in your hand and together with a WACOM style stylus, S Pen, is perfect for taking notes except for this 1/16" (2mm) offset to the right. I assume the review was written by someone who has 4.1.2 on his device, which doesn't have this problem.
Anyway if you are unlucky like me with SGH-I467 (AT&T, LOCKED bootloader), *NOT* SGH-I467M (Canadian version, bootloader UNLOCKED), and your tablet came with 4.3 or higher, you are stuck with this problem. You cannot download a custom kernel that fixes this problem. Nor can you downgrade back to 4.1.2.
If you are on 4.2.2, you can still downgrade back to 4.1.2.
I spent countless hours researching for a fix. Some lucky souls have solved it by drawing to the corners of the display in S Note. The theory here is it actuates Note 8.0's automated calibration. It doesn't work for me. Others have tried to toggle the left or right hand dominant setting with success. Unfortunately, such option is not available on my device.
The Reset S Pen app on the Play Store doesn't work either because it is a kernel problem, not a configuration file.
I even popped the cover of the button on the S Pen to adjust the potentiometer, but I still couldn't observe noticeable differences.
The problem with an offset to the right is the ink will be under the S Pen when you draw if you are right handed. It's no big deal when you are writing, but intolerable if you are drawing.
This morning I figure out a workaround I can live with as a right-handed person and would like to share.
Turn your tablet upside down with auto rotate enabled. Your app of course will turn right side up again, but the offset is now to the left instead!
If you are right handed, this makes a big difference because you can now see it. Instead of looking at the nib when you start drawing, focus on the cursor instead when the nib gets close to the display. Now you know when to drop down your S Pen and from where the drawing would start. The cursor would disappear after S Pen makes contact, but at this point you don't need the cursor anyway because you would be following the ink!
If you are left handed, you don't need to turn the device upside down since you can already see the offset. Just re-train yourself to follow the cursor and ink instead of the nib.
Hope this helps!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is the secret code of Samsung to get to Factory Mode, using Calculator : (+30012012732+
    Then : *#0*# in Calculator
    You should get to Factory Mode where you can test different functions, especially Wacom Test, If it fails the test, your Lcd is defective ( S Pen cable is from LCD ), this one is an example.
    The test won't do any calibration, just Pass or Fail.
    66parsdl44fs71k6g.jpg

Yes Samsung messed up but it's not like we don't have a solution :). I flashed civato's rom and kernel and never looked back.
    I had the same offset issues, so I went zero to sixty from no rooting experience at all to flashing Civato's latest Rom. I use the S pen extensively for handwriting recognition and sketching so a slight offset made the tablet practically unusable. Offset issue is perfectly fixed now.

It took a bit of research to learn how to root and flash but very worth it.
    I actually managed to get my S-Pen recalibrated. I opened up S-Note and scribbled all around the edges until there was a solid 0.5 cm border. But the trick is that I did it all in a single stroke (or in other words, I never lifted the pen until I had filled in all the edges, which took a long while). After that, the dot now appears right under the pen. And it stays across applications. It worked for me; maybe it'll work for you.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    I can confirm that this method works perfectly, but ONLY if you do it inside S-Note. I'd been trying to re-calibrate it by writing on the edges for weeks and it didn't do anything, but 5 seconds in S-Note fixed it perfectly.

I think the reason it sucks so bad is that after a fresh install, the Samsung ROM doesn't even have default calibration data but it gets generated the first time S-Note is used. The only problem is that I never ever use S-Note because of LectureNotes.
    Yeah, I had something similar and I'm also right handed. In Sketchbook, uncheck Toolbar Always Visible to make it disappear. Yes, I actually had to go outside the screen area. Rather than just trace the edges, what I did was a sort of very fine zig-zagging motion going back and forth between the screen and the bezel as I went down the edges (I didn't draw all the way to the edge of the device though, more like 1 cm or less past the edge of the LCD). I did make sure to completely fill in a 1 to 2 mm border around the edge of the LCD while I was at it (I used a fine point on the drawing tool though; can't remember the number but it wasn't the default as it was too thick. More like slightly greater than the lowest setting), and taking special care and doing multiple passes whenever I noticed the 'ink' not reaching the edge of the screen or white spots in the border I was drawing that wouldn't fill in on the first pass. They would fill in eventually the more times the stylus went over those areas; I just had to keep drawing over the area until it did, sometimes moving on and then coming back to the area later if nothing seemed to be happening. And again, I didn't lift the stylus up until I was completely finished drawing my solid border, which meant that if I screwed up, I would erase everything and start again from scratch. I don't know if what I did or how I did it was overkill, but the immediate result once I was done was the blue dot being directly under the stylus point, rather than 1 or 2 mm off. I was surprised that it was so instantaneous.

I'm also running rooted stock with no custom kernel, so it's possible to fix this without having to flash anything special.