Official HC 3.2 is out

Search This thread

schalmers

Apr 17, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
I just did some web searching and it seems the Thrive is also having the same issues with Dolphin HD running HC 3.2.1 here is a link to a thread discussing same issues. Last post states there is a beat version that maybe have fixed issue.

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-apps/4925-dolphin-hd-browser-problems-4.html

For anyone interested or experiencing problems with Dolphin HD Browser since upgrading to HC. I have opened a new thread in the APPS section where I have attached a beta APK that is supposed to fix the issue. I received it after contacting their support and they would like us Flyer users to confirm ir resolves our problems

Thread Link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20079388#post20079388

Please keep Dolphin APP discussion more in that thread instead of this Official HC is released thread

forx

Nov 16, 2005
Haven't updated with globatron's HC (although I have been severely tempted) because I want US specific. Love the UK but I "realised" that I want to see my words spelled like "realized" and I want my "colour" to be "color" :)

so theres a special dyslexic/mispelt os for the usa?,didnt know that....

chortle...

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Two reasons.

1) I'm not rooted.
2) Rather have the US wifi specific version.
2. 5) Shouldn't have to hack my tablet to get what I was promised.

So.... I'll wait, somewhat impatiently :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

As you wish, but it could be a while for the US.
You can easily change the locale to US English with various apps off the market, just takes on click and done. I prefer root because it opens up some useful options while keeping the stock ROM, such as backing up all apps and their data and blocking unwanted ads in apps and the ability to customize fonts, battery gauge, animations, etc.

Last edited:

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
As you wish, but it could be a while for the US.
You can easily change the locale to US English with various apps off the market, just takes on click and done. I prefer root because it opens up some useful options while keeping the stock ROM, such as backing up all apps and their data and blocking unwanted ads in apps and the ability to customize fonts, battery gauge, animations, etc.

I do wish so I'll wait. Been there done that with rooting. The US version isn't far out. Rooting has its disadvantages too, they've been well documented so I won't go into it here.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Humm, not trying to argue with your choice that's your choice but please enlighten us as to the "documented" disadvantages of rooting. That's really the first I have heard of it. If you mean the device might not install OTA, that's not a draw back. I will have the OTA before non-rooted devices. If you mean warranty repair, that's' not an issue either.

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
Humm, not trying to argue with your choice that's your choice but please enlighten us as to the "documented" disadvantages of rooting. That's really the first I have heard of it. If you mean the device might not install OTA, that's not a draw back. I will have the OTA before non-rooted devices. If you mean warranty repair, that's' not an issue either.

Think about what rooting is, it's an exploit, there's a security reason right there. There are pros and cons, I prefer not to root my devices anymore, as do many others.

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/01/05/...disadvantages-of-rooting-your-android-device/

http://droidlessons.com/what-is-rooting-on-android-the-advantages-and-disadvantages/

If you like you can start another thread and we can discuss it there. Why hijack this thread? You asked us why we don't use the rooted method and I responded. Not my fault you don't agree with my answer.

I apologize if that sounds snippy. Not my intent, long day....

Last edited:

extemp

Dec 7, 2011
Frankfurt
I was keeping the Flyer in sight for some time now.. The only reason that kept me off from buying it, was the obviously suppressed stylus support in GB version.

Could anyone now confirm or discard the rumour of pressure sensitivity support in third-party apps after updating up to HC ROM?

I read through the whole thread here, and there were some claims about that, but either before the official release or still bearing a kind of doubtfulness inside..

Could someone clear the things here once and for all?

Thanks!

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
First let me start by start by saying I agree that everyone has a right to do what they want. I advocate neither position in this ( rooting or not ) I have provided support for S-OFF and rooting and tried to make it as strightforward and safe for people as possible but would never push pople who don't ant to down that route. I do however take issue with the (mis) information below.

Think about what rooting is, it's an exploit, there's a security reason right there.
This is completely inaccurate. Rooting is the process of obatining root. In the case of using a vulnerability to obtain root access on a closed device this does require an exploit, however on an unlocked or S-OFF device it is simply installing additional software that allows for root acess to be used. Depending on the method used and when/where it is applies it may or may nor present a security issue.

A device rooted in recovery mode for example does not provide for an additional security threat in normal usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: burnie022

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
First let me start by start by saying I agree that everyone has a right to do what they want. I advocate neither position in this ( rooting or not ) I have provided support for S-OFF and rooting and tried to make it as strightforward and safe for people as possible but would never push pople who don't ant to down that route. I do however take issue with the (mis) information below.

This is completely inaccurate. Rooting is the process of obatining root. In the case of using a vulnerability to obtain root access on a closed device this does require an exploit, however on an unlocked or S-OFF device it is simply installing additional software that allows for root acess to be used. Depending on the method used and when/where it is applies it may or may nor present a security issue.

A device rooted in recovery mode for example does not provide for an additional security threat in normal usage.

Not inaccurate, just doesn't apply to all models as it pertains to risk level, but for the majority of devices an exploit must be obtained. I can provide examples if you like. Although I have seen your work and have no doubt you know your stuff. A recovery exploit is still an exploit and is just as risky, recovery can brick you if you're not careful, so can hboot and radio security.

Is root not obtained by back dooring the device so to speak? I've had this conversation with devs regarding other devices. As a quick example, HTC patched the Thunderbolts root method and I was quite pissed about it, xoomdev, a dev I respect greatly, told me while blocking root sucks, plugging exploits is the responsible thing to do. This "exploit" was how the Thunderbolt obtained root. The "process" of obtaining root is taking advantage of security vulnerabilities in the device on the path to gaining super user access and permissions. In fact, some root programs tell you to disable your anti-virus before proceeding. If exploits weren't being exposed then all phones could essentially be rooted the same way, different vulnerabilities, different root methods.

Some companies make it easier than others, HTC unlock and MOTO dev for example. In thoses cases you're right, a simple install and or adb commands and you're well on your way, but that doesn't apply to all models and all devices. The Flyer is lucky enough to be supported by HTC unlock (I think), my comments weren't Flyer specific but general. HTC kinda left the door open here but other models required quite a bit of elbow grease.

I AM NOT advocating against rooting. I feel it's necessary for some devices, I have examples there too. I've rooted and ROM'd several devices. And I would NEVER tell someone what he or she should do with a device they spent their money on, although I've suggested a few times ;). Rooting is fun and I love the devs on xda, I've just kinda lost interest in it. It's not just about security that's just one example.

Moving on....I think.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CenFlo

Nov 18, 2008
www.CenFlo.org
I've gone to the Westfire HC and personally I like GB better. Some of the apps I've restored won't work with HC and just the overall layout of the HC isn't quite what I expected.

To each their own and all that, just an observation at this point.

S.C Frecars

Dec 5, 2011
Hey, somebody can tell us is there any different between official HC and ROM here?

update is going very slow...I hope that I can receive the update before xmas..

I very expect to use the wonderful pen. Can it come true in official HC?

I really want to draw in SKB on flyer!

and if it also allows me to use whatsapp will be better..but i'm wifi verson, can I? :eek:

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
Hey, somebody can tell us is there any different between official HC and ROM here?

update is going very slow...I hope that I can receive the update before xmas..

I very expect to use the wonderful pen. Can it come true in official HC?

I really want to draw in SKB on flyer!

and if it also allows me to use whatsapp will be better..but i'm wifi verson, can I? :eek:

The one in Globatrons thread is official, it's just not the US WiFi version. The Roms will be very similar. I believe the official ota in Europe is gsm based so other than that they should feel the same. The pen does have increased functionality in HC so you should be quite happy in that regard. Hopefully it'll be here soon.

Reactions: S.C Frecars

mr_pio

Jun 29, 2008
I was keeping the Flyer in sight for some time now.. The only reason that kept me off from buying it, was the obviously suppressed stylus support in GB version.

Could anyone now confirm or discard the rumour of pressure sensitivity support in third-party apps after updating up to HC ROM?

I read through the whole thread here, and there were some claims about that, but either before the official release or still bearing a kind of doubtfulness inside..

Could someone clear the things here once and for all?

Thanks!

No, until someone actually uses the stylus SDK from HTC in their software, pressure sensitivity will not work outside the native HTC Scribe applications. It certainly doesn't work in Sketchbook, although the dynamic "stroke" function of Sketchbook may make someone think it does.

BTW, having to lift your hand from the screen to draw with the pen is rather uncomfortable. It is the case even in the notepad, where the keyboard keeps coming on if you touch the screen.
HTC itself should take care of supplying a proper drawing app which would only react to the stylus when the user so chooses. That would almost defend the stylus as a useful device, which it hardly is, even under HC.

S.C Frecars

Dec 5, 2011
So,the pen still not useful in app likes sketbook?even it provides pressure sensitivity function?
I feel sad...
Use flyer on sketch is one of main purpose I buy it...
It seems that it won't be the tool like that, right?

I just think pen can work on other app +sketchbook can provide pressure sensitivity = a useful 7" sketch book....
:(so

The one in Globatrons thread is official, it's just not the US WiFi version. The Roms will be very similar. I believe the official ota in Europe is gsm based so other than that they should feel the same. The pen does have increased functionality in HC so you should be quite happy in that regard. Hopefully it'll be here soon.

Is it possible that once the US update is available that the same process in Globatron's thread can be used or will is take additional steps?

Sent from GrandAdmiral's phone using Tapatalk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Flyer 3G 32GB in gErmany, just installed the HC update.
    - Hardware Buttons gone as proposed in the update notice except the stylus button
    - Tethering still works (device is unbranded)
    - Stylus works after the first tests better, can't describe exact why but feels more like a real pen...
    - 1 VPN unfortunately not working, Android internal is working but kinda lot of taps...

So far so good after an hour of testing. I like the new view even with the honeybar at the bottom wasting some space.

bye
    Sven
    Hello,
    I 've just saw the 3.2 update in my flyer update software. I have s-off revolutionary and I am wondering if I can flash it right in my flyer ? What will be happened ? Will I loose my s-off or sth worst?

What was released is the same version as in my thread.

Flash his ROM with confidence knowing it is the official OTA. Never take the OTA if you want to stay rooted. Too risky.
    Where are you guys getting this info from?

Just had this popup on my Facebook HTC Feed about 15 min ago:

Ready for some ‘sweet’ news? The GSM version of the HTC Flyer tablet, available in Europe, is beginning to receive updates to Honeycomb beginning today! Honeycomb brings a ton of improvements to Android on tablets, including the latest version of HTC Sense for Tablet with enhanced Internet browsing, Mail, Calendar and more all optimized for the 7" screen. Not to be outdone, the WiFi version of the HTC Flyer will receive its Honeycomb update soon, too! Stay tuned for more details.
    For those of you who are not rooted and/or s-off and have taken the OTA update, was the Hboot version number updated?

Should be 1.11.0011
    Just a question: I've heard the pen is universal in HC. So, presumably, it would work with EZ PDF Reader. Is that the case?

K

The pen now acts like a stylus in most applications :)

Sent from my Motorola Xoom using telepathy...