[TOOL] One Click Tether Enabler For AT&T One X

Search This thread

t0mmy

Feb 11, 2010
Philly Suburbs

t0mmy tether for HTC One X

INFO

This tool will allow you to use the stock WIFI Hotspot app on the AT&T stock rom without a tether plan. This should also work on any rom that doesn't have this fix already applied.
New Linux/Mac version courtesy of Paul, XDA user vbrtrmn.

HOW TO USE
  1. Make sure phone is plugged in to usb
  2. Download file
  3. Unzip to your computer
  4. Run tether.bat
  5. Follow instructions on screen

NOTES
  • Windows users: download the .zip attachment, Linux/Mac: download the .sh.gz
  • Your phone must be rooted and you must have the android sdk installed to use this!

IDqgc.png

Edit 1
Added the adb binaries for users getting 'adb is not recognized as a command' error

Edit 2
Added Linux/Mac version, thanks Paul

Attachments

• tether1.1.zip
    246.2 KB · Views: 9,637
  • tether_mac_linux.sh.gz
    523 bytes · Views: 460
Last edited:

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
you can do this much cleaner by just running a sqlite command to set all the values instead of pushing a different db in.

for rom devs, you can change this in the framework where the apn is stored, that way it gets put into the database this way.

achllles

Dec 9, 2007
you can do this much cleaner by just running a sqlite command to set all the values instead of pushing a different db in.

for rom devs, you can change this in the framework where the apn is stored, that way it gets put into the database this way.

True but this ones free while sqlite isn't. I've already enabled mine but thread like this is always appreciated.

hv6478

Apr 14, 2009
Not familiar with AT&T but I'm curious about this. Does AT&T offer a specific plan for data with dethering and another one without the ability to do so? Or is this a "fix" for the tethering feature on the stock ROMs or custom ROMs? Or a bit of both?

One reason I ask is because WiFi Hotspot isn't working on the current ROM I'm on.

Thanks in advance for the info guys.

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
Not familiar with AT&T but I'm curious about this. Does AT&T offer a specific plan for data with dethering and another one without the ability to do so? Or is this a "fix" for the tethering feature on the stock ROMs or custom ROMs? Or a bit of both?

One reason I ask is because WiFi Hotspot isn't working on the current ROM I'm on.

At&T charges 50 bucks a month for the data plan that includes tethering.

NguyenHuu

Nov 14, 2007
California
Hey guys I tried doing it via sqlite and via this method, both gives me FC when android boots up. It says "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped". I cant get into my phone and it just bootloops. Any ideas?

hv6478

Apr 14, 2009
At&T charges 50 bucks a month for the data plan that includes tethering.

:O

That's ridiculous! Data is data I don't get it. I know Rogers has a limitation where anything 500MB or lower doesn't support tethering, but with the 1GB plan and up you're good and 1GB is $30/mo by default. I'm on a 6GB promo plan for the same $30 price. I'm glad this mod is out for you guys!!

moltenbobcat

Aug 30, 2011
what? sqlite is built into android, how do think it uses that sqlite file? lol

you can run an adb shell command to do the same thing.

just throwing up other options for the op to check out..

I tried searching the various one x forums for another way to do this. What ADB commands are necessary to change the file. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Crizthakidd

Jul 28, 2010
Jersey
help
Capture.png

i am rooted on 1.73

edit - hm i think i need to install android sdk again lol havnt been using one since captivate wow

Last edited:

t0mmy

Feb 11, 2010
Philly Suburbs

Good point! That would be another way to do it, I wouldn't say one method is 'cleaner' then the other though.

Rom developers will probably start having this fix preloaded in their roms but this should work for the ones that don't have it yet!

Hey guys I tried doing it via sqlite and via this method, both gives me FC when android boots up. It says "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped". I cant get into my phone and it just bootloops. Any ideas?

Not sure what changes you applied in sqlite but I would suggest just reflashing a new rom to fix your dialer then running this tool to get the tether fix.

I tried searching the various one x forums for another way to do this. What ADB commands are necessary to change the file. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

in adb you would type something like:

adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db "update carriers set apn = 'pta' where _id = 12;"

help
Capture.png

i am rooted on 1.73

edit - hm i think i need to install android sdk again lol havnt been using one since captivate wow

I updated the OP with a new download that includes adb!

Has anyone tested this on the the Cleanrom 2.1? Is it just the telephone db that this changes?

I didn't test with that rom but it should work. Yes, it just modifies the telephony db.

Reactions: chodaboy19

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

t0mmy tether for HTC One X

INFO

This tool will allow you to use the stock WIFI Hotspot app on the AT&T stock rom without a tether plan. This should also work on any rom that doesn't have this fix already applied.
    New Linux/Mac version courtesy of Paul, XDA user vbrtrmn.

HOW TO USE
    1. Make sure phone is plugged in to usb
    2. Download file
    3. Unzip to your computer
    4. Run tether.bat
    5. Follow instructions on screen

NOTES
    • Windows users: download the .zip attachment, Linux/Mac: download the .sh.gz
    • Your phone must be rooted and you must have the android sdk installed to use this!

IDqgc.png

Edit 1
    Added the adb binaries for users getting 'adb is not recognized as a command' error

Edit 2
    Added Linux/Mac version, thanks Paul

True but this ones free while sqlite isn't. I've already enabled mine but thread like this is always appreciated.

what? sqlite is built into android, how do think it uses that sqlite file? lol

you can run an adb shell command to do the same thing.

just throwing up other options for the op to check out..

Flashable zip attached. Move to op if you want...

-Scott
    Great tool, this will be used by many, thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2