[Q] Wont connect to PC through USB

Search This thread

jarared

Feb 10, 2014
Okay so my Sprint HTC One Max will not connect to my PC - Windows 7 x64. It will however charge while connected but it never prompts that its "installing drivers" when connected. The USB notifications never appear in the notifications bar on my HTC. I've downloaded the latest HTC Sync, uninstalled, re installed, several times. I have enabled and disabled USB debugging several times. Restarted PC and phone several times. The phone is not rooted. Fastboot is not enabled on the phone. My LG G2 connects through MTP with no problems. I've tried all USB ports on my PC.

I'm not sure what else to do. Please help! :eek:

neodiver

Jan 15, 2014
Long Island
Okay so my Sprint HTC One Max will not connect to my PC - Windows 7 x64. It will however charge while connected but it never prompts that its "installing drivers" when connected. The USB notifications never appear in the notifications bar on my HTC. I've downloaded the latest HTC Sync, uninstalled, re installed, several times. I have enabled and disabled USB debugging several times. Restarted PC and phone several times. The phone is not rooted. Fastboot is not enabled on the phone. My LG G2 connects through MTP with no problems. I've tried all USB ports on my PC.

I'm not sure what else to do. Please help! :eek:

You need to install HTC Drivers for Win7 64 prior to plugging in your phone. A quick google search landed me this:
HTC Driver Installer x86 and x64 - Filename: HTCDriver 4.1.0.001.exe Size: 14.81 MB (15528968 bytes).

It shouldn't be too difficult for you to hunt this file down yourself. It is probably a good idea to make sure HTCSync is completely uninstalled from your machine. Once you've installed the driver exe, plug in your phone and wait for it to appear in device manager (I kept device manager open through the entire process). At this point you should see debugging messages on your phone.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is but after a handful of headaches, I was able to use the win7 64 machine that I had at my disposal to successfully run the rumrunner tool and ultimately achieve S-Off! Good Luck! :)

jarared

Feb 10, 2014
You need to install HTC Drivers for Win7 64 prior to plugging in your phone. A quick google search landed me this:
HTC Driver Installer x86 and x64 - Filename: HTCDriver 4.1.0.001.exe Size: 14.81 MB (15528968 bytes).

It shouldn't be too difficult for you to hunt this file down yourself. It is probably a good idea to make sure HTCSync is completely uninstalled from your machine. Once you've installed the driver exe, plug in your phone and wait for it to appear in device manager (I kept device manager open through the entire process). At this point you should see debugging messages on your phone.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is but after a handful of headaches, I was able to use the win7 64 machine that I had at my disposal to successfully run the rumrunner tool and ultimately achieve S-Off! Good Luck! :)

Still no luck. I completely removed HTC Sync and anything HTC related. Installed the HTC Driver Installer 4.1.0.001.exe and connected my phone but still nothing happens.

neodiver

Jan 15, 2014
Long Island
Still no luck. I completely removed HTC Sync and anything HTC related. Installed the HTC Driver Installer 4.1.0.001.exe and connected my phone but still nothing happens.

Did the HTC drivers install correctly?
Driver or not, SOMETHING should happen when you plug your phone into your pc like new hardware notification. Is anything reflected in device manager when you're plugged in? Successful attachment you should see HTC, or HTC phone, or Android phone, or a yellow exclamation point saying no driver or driver incorrectly installed. :confused:
Most definitely a Windows issue. Windows PCs are a PITA. No driver headaches with Mac or Linux. Have another machine around you can try it out on?

jarared

Feb 10, 2014
Did the HTC drivers install correctly?
Driver or not, SOMETHING should happen when you plug your phone into your pc like new hardware notification. Is anything reflected in device manager when you're plugged in? Successful attachment you should see HTC, or HTC phone, or Android phone, or a yellow exclamation point saying no driver or driver incorrectly installed. :confused:
Most definitely a Windows issue. Windows PCs are a PITA. No driver headaches with Mac or Linux. Have another machine around you can try it out on?

Yes they installed correctly. I'm not seeing anything appear in the device manager. I also tried it on my wife desktop and I get the same result. I've tried 4 different USB cables that I have laying around the house.
I'm starting to believe it might just be something wrong with this particular phone.

neodiver

Jan 15, 2014
Long Island
Yes they installed correctly. I'm not seeing anything appear in the device manager. I also tried it on my wife desktop and I get the same result. I've tried 4 different USB cables that I have laying around the house.
I'm starting to believe it might just be something wrong with this particular phone.

It's seeming like you may have a bit of tinkering around to do. You DO have USB debugging enabled while you're trying to connect right?
Troubleshooting Windows drivers is a pain. Check out this post I stumbled over, may help you out:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2217396

Here's a couple links to newer versions of HTC Drivers in case you want to try them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98sp7bkrckwu32k/HTC Driver 4.0.1.002.exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eqrqb44r3ot18g1/HTCDriver_4.2.0.001.exe

Reactions: jarared

jarared

Feb 10, 2014
It's seeming like you may have a bit of tinkering around to do. You DO have USB debugging enabled while you're trying to connect right?
Troubleshooting Windows drivers is a pain. Check out this post I stumbled over, may help you out:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2217396

Here's a couple links to newer versions of HTC Drivers in case you want to try them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98sp7bkrckwu32k/HTC Driver 4.0.1.002.exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eqrqb44r3ot18g1/HTCDriver_4.2.0.001.exe

Yeah I came across that page as well. I've tried with Debuf off and on.
I came across this page where he seems to be having the same problem, only thing is my device is stock, not rooted, no roms, or backups.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541464
Anyway I can work off of that?

The only thing I've done to my phone that could of possibly affected it was when I attempted a bootloader unlock from HTCDev.com.
I followed the steps up to step 5 and entered "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" into the cmd and got the message "waiting for device.." which is when I discovered my phone wasnt connecting though USB.
When connected the USB in fastboot it says "FASTBOOT AC" instead of USB

Not sure if something could of happened in between that.

Last edited:

jwhood

Mar 4, 2011
baltimore,md
I was having issues with htc drivers today and finally found the right drivers after countless install/remove attempts,im running xp and it is a pita hope you find the right ones!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

japodude

Sep 6, 2008
ibhave uk version and when i plug my phone to pc, it shows my one max and it also shows a cd drive and when i open it, it automatically installs drivers and htc sync. seems my one max has drivers and htc sync build in.

neodiver

Jan 15, 2014
Long Island
ibhave uk version and when i plug my phone to pc, it shows my one max and it also shows a cd drive and when i open it, it automatically installs drivers and htc sync. seems my one max has drivers and htc sync build in.

Yes, the One Max comes with HTCSync and necessary drivers. In a perfect world everything would install the first time you plug in your phone and all would be hunky dory. However... well we all know the reality of this game. :rolleyes:

jarared

Feb 10, 2014
Yes, the One Max comes with HTCSync and necessary drivers. In a perfect world everything would install the first time you plug in your phone and all would be hunky dory. However... well we all know the reality of this game. :rolleyes:

Well today the phone shut off and will not turn back on. Plugging it into the wall charger does absolutely nothing so I finally decided to call HTC and just let them handle it. +thanks for the help neodiver

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010

neodiver

Jan 15, 2014
Long Island
Well today the phone shut off and will not turn back on. Plugging it into the wall charger does absolutely nothing so I finally decided to call HTC and just let them handle it. +thanks for the help neodiver

Anytime. You're probably better off calling early in the game before you're eyeballs deep. They can't break your balls for mucking around in your One Max's innards. Hopefully they'll swap you out and you can start over fresh! :D

Good Luck!

jarared

Feb 10, 2014

Tried that. Tried both volume buttons, up, down, and all around lol.
HTC also told me to try holding the volume down then power for about 5 secs, then continue to only hold the volume button. Didn't work either.
Kinda crazy... has to be a mobo issue or something because the phone was still flawless.

Top Liked Posts