Dual Boot Screen

Search This thread

swid441

Nov 15, 2008
Hi all,

When I turn on my Windows tablet, I'm presented with the option to select Remix or Windows. The issue is that I have to have the keyboard attached to switch between the two as the touch screen doesn't appear to work. It The boot screen doesn't look like the one from their website; just a DOS looking two line option .

Any thoughts on how to change it to a touch screen option where I can select with my finger? I'm running on a Dell Venue 11 pro with Core M.

Thanks

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
I'm not seeing any boot screen on their website. But what I think you're referring to is likely a screen from a legacy/BIOS device.

You might be able to get something similar though. First try from windows Advanced Reboot ==> Use a device and see if you can boot RemixOS from there.

swid441

Nov 15, 2008
I'm not seeing any boot screen on their website. But what I think you're referring to is likely a screen from a legacy/BIOS device.

You might be able to get something similar though. First try from windows Advanced Reboot ==> Use a device and see if you can boot RemixOS from there.

Yes, I think that it was I'm talking about. On the Remixos download page there is a video from Lilliputing where he starts the machine and is presented with a blue screen and two options (Pictured below)

Mine boots to a different screen (also pictured below).

My goal is to have it boot so that I can select the OS with my finger. Any help is appreciated.

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Yes, I think that it was I'm talking about. On the Remixos download page there is a video from Lilliputing where he starts the machine and is presented with a blue screen and two options (Pictured below)

Mine boots to a different screen (also pictured below).

My goal is to have it boot so that I can select the OS with my finger. Any help is appreciated.

Yea, I think that's legacy/BIOS on first screen. The second pic is grub (essentially on BIOS - that RemixOS button on 1st screen silently starts the 2nd screen).

What you can try is on Windows start command prompt as admin and issue bcdedit /copy {current} /d Copy or bcd /copy {default} /d Copy.

Then reboot. (make sure WindowsBootManager is default)

swid441

Nov 15, 2008
Yea, I think that's legacy/BIOS on first screen. The second pic is grub (essentially on BIOS - that RemixOS button on 1st screen silently starts the 2nd screen).

What you can try is on Windows start command prompt as admin and issue bcdedit /copy {current} /d Copy or bcd /copy {default} /d Copy.

Then reboot. (make sure WindowsBootManager is default)

Thanks. I gave them both a shot but it didn't work. The first one took, but didn't work. The second on said there was an error.

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Thanks. I gave them both a shot but it didn't work. The first one took, but didn't work. The second on said there was an error.

Have you set your default bootloader back to WindowsBootManager? Easiest way without an external app (EasyUEFI) - is to boot into (BIOS/)UEFI and change the boot order.

If that doesn't work post the output of bcdedit

Last edited:

swid441

Nov 15, 2008
Have you set your default bootloader back to WindowsBootManager? Easiest way without an external app (EasyUEFI) - is to boot into (BIOS/)UEFI and change the boot order.

If that doesn't work post the output of bcdedit
No luck. I did it in the following order: 1) ran the bcdedit as admin (said it was changed) 2)restarted. 3) changed the boot sequence so that windowsbootmangager was first. 4) restarted.

Here is the bcdedit:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {91362553-beec-11e5-82f1-90e5538d0e68}
displayorder {current}
{91362555-beec-11e5-82f1-90e5538d0e68}
{91362556-beec-11e5-82f1-90e5538d0e68}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 0

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi
description Windows 10
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {91362543-beec-11e5-82f1-90e5538d0e68}
recoveryenabled Yes
isolatedcontext Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \WINDOWS
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {91362555-beec-11e5-82f1-90e5538d0e68}
device partition=C:
description Copy
locale en-US
recoveryenabled Yes
isolatedcontext Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \WINDOWS
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {91362556-beec-11e5-82f1-90e5538d0e68}
device partition=C:
description Copy
locale en-US
recoveryenabled Yes
isolatedcontext Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \WINDOWS
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard

I really appreciated your help!

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
No luck. I did it in the following order: 1) ran the bcdedit as admin (said it was changed) 2)restarted. 3) changed the boot sequence so that windowsbootmangager was first. 4) restarted.

Here is the bcdedit:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit
What is your system doing on reboot?
Booting straight to windows, grub (your pic#2) or something else?

swid441

Nov 15, 2008
Good.
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 30
(fyi don't do bcdedit /copy ... anymore, once was enough)

And we are trying to get to the screen seen here, similar to pic #1, but will need to press a few more buttons.
OK. It boots to that blue screen, but remixos is not on there. Shows windows and 2 copies if windows. I assume that's because I pasted the bcdedit twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
OK. It boots to that blue screen, but remixos is not on there. Shows windows and 2 copies if windows. I assume that's because I pasted the bcdedit twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yes, that's why -- do you have the "...choose other options" line at the bottom?

If so navigate to "Advanced Options ==> Use a device", and you should see either RemixOS or UEFI OS there.

THis is the difference between this and legacy afaik: we can't add a proper grub entry to the first screen; we have to navigate to the Use a device option as above.

swid441

Nov 15, 2008
Thanks! It does exactly what I want. The ironic thing, is that when I touch remixos, it takes me to the same stupid screen I had in the first place! Thanks for your help either way!

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Thanks! It does exactly what I want. The ironic thing, is that when I touch remixos, it takes me to the same stupid screen I had in the first place! Thanks for your help either way!
Yea, when you get the chance you'll need to try and get to the grub.cfg (it's probably in the ESP partition - which can be difficult to get to in Windows; but easier with RemixOS)

On RemixOS (> v205) open file browser and open the first harddrive partition -- have a look for the grub.cfg and add a timeout 0 line to the top.
That should automatically boot the first entry in grub.cfg

RCai

Oct 8, 2015
Yea, when you get the chance you'll need to try and get to the grub.cfg (it's probably in the ESP partition - which can be difficult to get to in Windows; but easier with RemixOS)

On RemixOS (> v205) open file browser and open the first harddrive partition -- have a look for the grub.cfg and add a timeout 0 line to the top.
That should automatically boot the first entry in grub.cfg

Hey, I'm not OP but I'm having the exact same problem with my Surface Pro 3, I booted into Remix using a keyboard and added the line "set timeout 0" at the top of grub.cfg, however it does not change the black screen with no touchscreen support after selecting Remix OS on the bluescreen.

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Hey, I'm not OP but I'm having the exact same problem with my Surface Pro 3, I booted into Remix using a keyboard and added the line "set timeout 0" at the top of grub.cfg, however it does not change the black screen with no touchscreen support after selecting Remix OS on the bluescreen.

In that case add a default=0 or remove the Windows menuentry so that there's only one.

RCai

Oct 8, 2015
In that case add a default=0 or remove the Windows menuentry so that there's only one.

I'm using ES File Explorer to edit the Grub.cfg. When I search, all I can find is starter.grub.cfg and this is what's in the file
loadfont $prefix/fonts/unicode.pf2

if [ $grub2win_bootmode = EFI ]; then
insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
else
insmod vbe
insmod vga
fi

insmod gfxterm
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod gfxmenu
insmod png
background_image $prefix/themes/grub2win/oschoice.png
set color_normal=green/black
set color_highlight=magenta/black

I added a timeout=0 and default=0 to the first and second line but no changes.
I'm not sure if this is the correct grub.cfg file to be editing.

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
I'm using ES File Explorer to edit the Grub.cfg. When I search, all I can find is starter.grub.cfg and this is what's in the file

Wrong file I think; you're using grub2win instead of the default installation methods...

Have a look at C:\grub2\grub.cfg (hdd1/grub2/grub.cfg in ESfileExplorer) maybe

Reactions: RCai

RCai

Oct 8, 2015
Wrong file I think; you're using grub2win instead of the default installation methods...

All I can find right now from searching my C:\ is C:\RemixOS\efi\RemixOS\grub.cfg
which holds
set gfxmode=1024x768
terminal_output 'Remix OS' --class android-x86 {
insmod /efi/RemixOS/ntfs64.mod
insmod /efi/RemixOS/exfat64.mod
search --file --no-floppy --set=root /RemixOS/kernel
linuxefi /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet DATA= SRC=RemixOS CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
initrdefi /RemixOS/initrd.img
}

and C:\RemixOS\efi\boot\grub.cfg which holds

set gfxmode=1024x768
terminal_output gfxterm

menuentry 'Resident mode - All your data and apps are saved ' --class android-x86 {
search --file --no-floppy --set=root /kernel
linuxefi /kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet DATA= USB_DATA_PARTITION=1
initrdefi /initrd.img
}

menuentry 'Guest mode - No data will be saved after each session' --class android-x86 {
search --file --no-floppy --set=root /kernel
linuxefi /kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet DATA= DATA_IN_MEM=1
initrdefi /initrd.img
}

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I added timeout = 0 and default = 0 to that one but no changes, what's he exact settings I should add?

Exactly as I posted; without the spaces:
    Code:
    timeout=0
    default=0

menuentry 'OS 0' {
    	STUFF
    }
    menuentry 'OS 1' {
    	MORE STUFF
    }
    You should know which grub.cfg to modify based on what you see onscreen