Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
Closing this thread as my mechanism no workie anymore to get the super new packages. You'll have to wait :p

Hi all,

I recently gave the Twitter world a tease of Skype UWP running on my Lumia 1520 on Redstone (WHICH IS THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT. If you're on 10586 or Release Preview.. It's not going to work) and promised to share with the world. Without further ado, I present..... PACKAGES.

I'll be updating this regularly with links to the official Skype UWP packages that support W10M.

Instructions:

Before downloading the appxbundle, go to Settings -> Update & Security -> For developers and enable Developer mode (may work with Sideload apps, but I never tried). Copy the package to the phone and open it from the File Explorer. Install then enjoy. You can also upload the package from the Device Portal also, if you feel well inclined to.

NOTE: You MUST be running a Redstone build. If you try this on a non-Redstone build and you complain that it doesn't work, I'm going to steal your soul.

If you are installing via File Explorer, wait for it to complete even though it looks like nothing happened. Using the Device Portal is easier because you see the entire progress of the upload and install.

Releases:

Skype v.11.6.72
Skype v.11.6.63
Skype v. 11.6.56
Skype v. 11.6.36
Skype v. 11.6.26

Enjoy!

Last edited:

LefeversJay

Jun 2, 2016
Unable to install on my Lumia 950 XL running the latest build 14356. I am receiving the error "Can't Install app - There's a problem with this app. Check the package, or contact the person who gave it to you for help." when I tap on the file in the file explorer. I have tried uninstalling the old skype app, restarting, verifying my build and that the device is in developer mode and even tried re-downloading the app package. Any other ideas?

krallure

Apr 27, 2012
Cegled
Unable to install on my Lumia 950 XL running the latest build 14356. I am receiving the error "Can't Install app - There's a problem with this app. Check the package, or contact the person who gave it to you for help." when I tap on the file in the file explorer. I have tried uninstalling the old skype app, restarting, verifying my build and that the device is in developer mode and even tried re-downloading the app package. Any other ideas?

Latest build, L930, same error.

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
Try using the Device Portal and uploading the app to your phone from a desktop. I'm also running 14356 on my 1520.

Last edited:

amnesiality

Oct 1, 2014
Just a heads up, you can also install the app on your PC. It's so much better than the official preview. Still needs A LOT of polishing though, the hamburger button is making me crazy.

tevez29

Jun 2, 2016
I have an error message when i launch Skype
Edit1 :it's work now

Last edited:

SfairatOd

Jun 2, 2016
Probably, there should be a big red warning, like
YOU CAN'T DOWNGRADE THIS TO A STABLE BUILD
So, I've successfully installed the app, but it crashed constantly. So, I uninstalled it and tried to install a stable skype from the store. But, Store tried to install skype preview instead of stable skype, and it obviously can't. It just hangs on "Starting download" or "Error, see details", and store now keeps showing me 0x80240024 or 0x8013153b for almost everything - it can't search for any apps, can't show anything but "Home", etc. Skype sticks in download queue forever and can't be removed from here (reboot doesn't help).
Edit: turns out that the store app is still functional, except that an empty entry with only "error, see details" is now always present in download queue in store app, and I have 2 entries of skype preview in all apps list, one of which is pending. Still can't downgrade to stable version though.
Edit2: Skype preview is much more stable after reinstall, but doesn't display my big chats (>40 people). Looks like the bug which was here since the very first messaging + skype app, when the app crashed trying to open that chat, and in later versions it just didn't show it. Microsoft, do something with that, it's a shame :/

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2015
What builds does this work with?

Is it supposed to work on the production build (non-insider) build. (.318)?

I'm confused on what the redstone builds are. Thanks!

be2slow

Dec 1, 2008
So, after install, I attempted to uninstall, which appeared to work as expected. However, when attempting to download the official release of Skype, I get an error; additionally, the start screen shows that it is trying to install Skype Preview, which is obviously incorrect.

Is there a workaround here?

DLS123

Aug 20, 2013
It's great. Fast and looks good. I only have one problem with it. Can you guys write in group conversations with this app? I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Closing this thread as my mechanism no workie anymore to get the super new packages. You'll have to wait :p

Hi all,

I recently gave the Twitter world a tease of Skype UWP running on my Lumia 1520 on Redstone (WHICH IS THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT. If you're on 10586 or Release Preview.. It's not going to work) and promised to share with the world. Without further ado, I present..... PACKAGES.

I'll be updating this regularly with links to the official Skype UWP packages that support W10M.

Instructions:

Before downloading the appxbundle, go to Settings -> Update & Security -> For developers and enable Developer mode (may work with Sideload apps, but I never tried). Copy the package to the phone and open it from the File Explorer. Install then enjoy. You can also upload the package from the Device Portal also, if you feel well inclined to.

NOTE: You MUST be running a Redstone build. If you try this on a non-Redstone build and you complain that it doesn't work, I'm going to steal your soul.

If you are installing via File Explorer, wait for it to complete even though it looks like nothing happened. Using the Device Portal is easier because you see the entire progress of the upload and install.

Releases:

Skype v.11.6.72
    Skype v.11.6.63
    Skype v. 11.6.56
    Skype v. 11.6.36
    Skype v. 11.6.26

Enjoy!
    I decided to update OP again as a happy Wednesday to all ^_^
    Reserved for something #1
    Reserved for something #2. Dunno what for yet
    It's working great on my 640! It's WAY better than the wp8 version!