[APP] Ubuntu Install Guide - Xoom Testers wanted - 12.04 in Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

RestlessDroid

Mar 31, 2011
I love this app so far. I do have one question...how do you add software? The few things that I've wanted to download have failed, like Chromium Browser and the Eclipse IDE. Is this just because it's not possible or is there a trick that I'm missing?

Thanks for the app and your hard work. I am enjoying messing with it!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
I love this app so far. I do have one question...how do you add software? The few things that I've wanted to download have failed, like Chromium Browser and the Eclipse IDE. Is this just because it's not possible or is there a trick that I'm missing?

Thanks for the app and your hard work. I am enjoying messing with it!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

the best way to add software is at the command line using apt-get install
if you need help installing programs with it just google it there is plenty of documentation for ubuntu on this matter :)

RestlessDroid

Mar 31, 2011
the best way to add software is at the command line using apt-get install
if you need help installing programs with it just google it there is plenty of documentation for ubuntu on this matter :)

Thanks for three quick response. I have attempted using the tutorials but everyone says use wget but I get an error. Sorry for newbie questions. Love your work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Gatech

Mar 12, 2012
Bogotá
Apps have to be compatible with Architecture Armel.

I read that Eclipse on Ubuntu 12.x will be compatible. I wish zacthespack will include it on final release of 12 ;)

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
not sure if you know thi yet or not but it works on stock/rooted xybaord with kernel 2.6.35.7-gfa172ad
build 1.6.0M_279_MZ609

taninos

Oct 7, 2011
Hi guys, I need your help to make a decision around ubuntu in my xoom.

1. I need ubuntu or debian in my mz601 xoom device, but I really don't know with are the best kernel and room that would be more compatible with ubuntu.

2. What won't it be working on xoom after intalling ubuntu? Will "bluetooth, sound, external pendrive, etc..." work on?

Many thanks in advance.

Best.

marckaraujo

Sep 17, 2010
eclipse

with 12.04 I put eclipse to work, the only problem is that I couldnt install ADT to create android projects.

the system still buggy, the interface doesnt show well and update manager dont work.

10.10 run better and smoth but I cant really install nothing on it.

Gatech

Mar 12, 2012
Bogotá
Hello!.

I downloaded 12.04 v2 image, and running on my Xoom.

Unity is working wrong. Icons are gray and after load it show a error (send or cancel). After it I opened Mozilla Firefox, and it crashes (crash reporter opens). :S

I got installed Eclipse :D. But when installing an update: Subversion, it crashes.

Chromium (invisible all haha)

Regards!

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hello!.

I downloaded 12.04 v2 image, and running on my Xoom.

Unity is working wrong. Icons are gray and after load it show a error (send or cancel). After it I opened Mozilla Firefox, and it crashes (crash reporter opens). :S

I got installed Eclipse :D. But when installing an update: Subversion, it crashes.

Chromium (invisible all haha)

Regards!

Porblems with unity seem to be doing to the terga processors (all devices with them have this problem) your best bet for now is to use the small image and forget about unity until we can work out a fix

RoryPG

Apr 8, 2011
Error when loading Ubuntu on Xoom

I have a wifi Xoom. Rooted with eos-wingray-102 rom loaded which has Android 4.0.4 and Tiamet 3.0.17 kernel. I have loaded both the Ubuntu and Debian installer, both with the same error message. It is ubuntuV6 script and ubuntuV5 image. Here is the terminal result:

app_94@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_94@android:/ $ su
app_94@android:/ # cd /sdcard/ubuntu
app_94@android:/sdcard/ubuntu # sh ubuntu.sh
Loop device exists
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop255 on /data/local/mnt failed: Invalid argument
mount: mounting devpts on /data/local/mnt/dev/pts failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting proc on /data/local/mnt/proc failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting sysfs on /data/local/mnt/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sdcard on /data/local/mnt/sdcard failed: No such file or directory net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
ubuntu.sh[58]: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
ubuntu.sh[59]: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
ubuntu.sh[60]: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/hosts: No such file or directory
Ubuntu is configured with SSH and VNC servers that can be accessed from the IP:
eth0: No such device

chroot: can't execute '/root/init.sh': No such file or directory
Shutting down Ubuntu ARM
failed: No such file or directory
failed: Invalid argument
app_94@android:/sdcard/ubuntu #

Can anyone help? I've Googled and searched xda without success. Thanks.

R.

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
Just got Ubuntu working on my Galaxy S II X with this, first impressions is it's really neat, though a little slow even on my powerful phone, and really memory-strapped.

It's a really odd quirk that the letter d is mapped by default to minimize windows, took some Googling to figure out what was going on and how to fix it.

Also an odd quirk that in touchscreen input mode, the arrow keys on my Bluetooth keyboard move the cursor instead of sending arrow keys.

Is there a way to get Ctrl- and Alt- presses from my keyboard to get passed through to the VNC window? It seems like they're not always getting through and are getting captured by Android in at least some of the cases like Alt-Tab.

Is there an app that's root-enabled that can just directly launch `sh ubuntu.sh` and then have a button to call `exit`? The having to use terminal to launch and quit is kind of a runaround.

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Just got Ubuntu working on my Galaxy S II X with this, first impressions is it's really neat, though a little slow even on my powerful phone, and really memory-strapped.

It's a really odd quirk that the letter d is mapped by default to minimize windows, took some Googling to figure out what was going on and how to fix it.

Also an odd quirk that in touchscreen input mode, the arrow keys on my Bluetooth keyboard move the cursor instead of sending arrow keys.

Is there a way to get Ctrl- and Alt- presses from my keyboard to get passed through to the VNC window? It seems like they're not always getting through and are getting captured by Android in at least some of the cases like Alt-Tab.

Is there an app that's root-enabled that can just directly launch `sh ubuntu.sh` and then have a button to call `exit`? The having to use terminal to launch and quit is kind of a runaround.

You can in the vnc app send 'special keys' (ctrl etc) its in one of the menu items when you press the menu button

You could use script manger to launch it however the only way you will be able to exit ubuntu will be with a restart as they will be no way to type exit.

The terminal is used as you then have a command line interface with ubuntu without having to use the GUI or if they GUI fails to start you have a way to debug that etc

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
I can't run Ubuntu 12 on my Xoom, I'm with EOS nightly for umts 69 it says unable to attach image on loop device... Any ideas?

Sent from my MZ601 using XDA Premium HD app

RoryPG

Apr 8, 2011
Two Issues with new Complete Paid App

The issue I had, noted above, was resolved with the release of the new Complete Paid package. Thanks to the developer for whatever he did!

I am running ESO Wingray 2.0 Stable Release ROM with Tiamat 3.0.15 kernel. I can confirm that you can run both the Ubuntu Large (Unity) and Ubuntu small package. However, Unity is so slow it is unusable.

So, I'm having two problems:
1. I cannot change the default input type to touchpad (or any other option) once I have VNC'ed in. They are greyed out. So, the cursor sticks in the middle. I could change it the first time I loaded Ubuntu large but not after that for either large or small. How can I change the input type to the correct one and which one is best?

2. The Installer does not allow me to click through to the Debian image without the app crashing. This is not an issue with Backtrack or Ubuntu. Suggestions? Seems like a bug. I want to be using Debian and Gnome 3, not Ubuntu, if possible.

Thanks,
Rory

Reactions: cdred

cdred

Dec 1, 2007
Dunn, NC
The issue I had, noted above, was resolved with the release of the new Complete Paid package. Thanks to the developer for whatever he did!

I am running ESO Wingray 2.0 Stable Release ROM with Tiamat 3.0.15 kernel. I can confirm that you can run both the Ubuntu Large (Unity) and Ubuntu small package. However, Unity is so slow it is unusable.

So, I'm having two problems:
1. I cannot change the default input type to touchpad (or any other option) once I have VNC'ed in. They are greyed out. So, the cursor sticks in the middle. I could change it the first time I loaded Ubuntu large but not after that for either large or small. How can I change the input type to the correct one and which one is best?

2. The Installer does not allow me to click through to the Debian image without the app crashing. This is not an issue with Backtrack or Ubuntu. Suggestions? Seems like a bug. I want to be using Debian and Gnome 3, not Ubuntu, if possible.

Thanks,
Rory

First off, would like to say I purchased the Complete Installer and really like the concept and the work the dev has put in so far. The bugs I have found with it is when I install ubuntu 12, graphical problems with the full version. Problems with unity. Installed ubuntu 10 and everything worked except bluetooth keyboard. The mousepad worked great, but couldn't type anything. In ubuntu 12, firefox kept crashing. In ubuntu 10, firefox worked except I couldn't type anything in the search bar. And finally, updated to ubuntu 11 from the ubuntu update and everything installed but then started experiencing problems with firefox like in 12 and still no keyboard on anything. If I could get the keyboard to work, this would be great, but pretty much for show with no keyboard. I am also running Eos Wingray 2.0 Stable Release ROM with Tiamat 3.0.15 kernel with an Ultra U12-41310 Mini Bluetooth Keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is no longer kept up to date, for future info/help please use the main thread HERE

I have working on a project in the form of an app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have I have yet to get much testing on this device and would like more feedback from users!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.
    Website
    http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/

Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqzs8yQTM8

App Download

Boot Script
    ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Image
    This image is 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing' - Also allows you to switch between the LXDE and Gnome desktops, and you can define screen size on boot!
    ubuntuV5-image.zip

Lightweight Image - This is yet to be included in an app, will be included in the next release (aka 2.0 ;) ), so get it now before anyone else!
    This image is just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, web browser, + other basic programs) also allows you to define screen size on boot
    ubuntuV5-sm-image.zip

12.04 images
    I have now started work on building new 12.04 images these come in core (just the bear-bones ubuntu) and full (ubuntu with GUI and other programs) and will be updated as 12.04 moves through its milestones (and when I make new updates to the mods I make from the main stream arm port).
    These are for testing ONLY until 12.04 reaches stable release.
    You can view the images here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxonandroid/files/Ubuntu/12.04/

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
    The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
    Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
    ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
    Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
    Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
    18/02/12
    *New 12.04 images started building, for now not included in the app but once a bit more stable will be included

29/01/12
    *New V5 small image, featuring fixed Java, even more lightweight (now around 1.2GB free) and user can set screen size on boot
    *PAID New Build guide which shows you how to build your own Ubuntu images
    *Brand new UI To make the whole thing more useable
    *PAID new 'one click boot' feature to allow quick booting from either the widget or inside the app
    *PAID new widget to activate the one click boot
    *PAID app install guide changed in light of 'one click boot'
    *Fixed keyboard mapping of random letters in Gnome

18/01/12
    *Large ubuntu image now allows user to set screen size on boot!
    *Large Ubuntu image now lets you select between LXDE and Gnome desktops
    *Large Ubuntu image has been recompiled to fix the likes of Java (note some of the above changes will be included in the small image in the future)
    *FAQ section updated with more answers to questions I have been getting
    *Install guide updated in light of the new large image

06/01/12
    *PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
    *New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
    *Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
    *Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
    *Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
    *PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
    *ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
    *ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
    *ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
    *Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
    *Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
    New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
    New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
    FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
    PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions
    Hi!
    How to seup vnc viewer? I set nick name and password, address=0, left username=blank, but cant not login!

Edit:
    After run sh ubuntu.sh, it showed : mount /sdcard/external_sd failed, and eth0: no such device.

The external sd card and eth0 errors should not effect the running, the sdcard error is because you do not have that mount point, and the eth0 is because sometimes the internet in ubuntu is quite set up at that point in the script.

The VNC settings as discribed in the app are
    IP localhost
    Port number 5900
    Password ubuntu
    Bought it, and love it so far. Appreciate it!
    Hi!
    How to seup vnc viewer? I set nick name and password, address=0, left username=blank, but cant not login!

Edit:
    After run sh ubuntu.sh, it showed : mount /sdcard/external_sd failed, and eth0: no such device.

Your address needs to be "localhost" (minus quotes) in order for it to connect to Ubuntu
    Not sure if anyone's pointed this out to you or not, but you have a typo in your marketplace image. It should be "Bringing Ubuntu to Android", but you have "Brining Ubuntu to Android". Missing the first "g" in "Bringing"

Haha yeah someone pointed it out yesterday, I just havnt had time to update the images :p

All installed fine and runs well (paid version) - thanks.

Can't find an input mode I'm completely happy with though - what is everyone else running??

Also, what resolutions are people putting in to avoid having to scroll the screen up and down? 1280x800 would work if not for the task bar :)

Thanks

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

I tend to use the touchpad option on my phone and the first one on my tablet, but your right there isn't really a perfect option

What's the difference by using this app and doing it manually?

And do your image support flash?

Well using my app you have access to my images which have difference to most images (like being able to boot to either gnome of lxde, and selecting screen size on boot). And if you use the paid version it includes a boot widget which when you click will boot ubuntu for you.

And no my images do not support flash, there arn't any that do as there is no ARM build for flash on linux